[GUIDE]: The MacBookPro18 Project

valv

499 posts in this topic

Hi JBraddock!

i still have such probs also after your new dsdt mods (black screen and nvidia)... just a clue... Have you got your system as MacBookPro5,5 or 5,1 ? I have the suspect that our battery does not go well because macbookpro5,x uses smartbatteries, not old-style batteries like our laptops. Do you think power management may be better using it as macbookpro older versions?

I know MacBookPro5,4 - 5,4 and newer have better power management , speedstep and so on (more recent cpus supported) but perhaps it fails on battery side.

It is just a clue... i may be wrong.

Mal

Can you please send me your DSDT and ioreg dump?

I am using AnVaL to generate C and P States and remember having problems with MacBookPro5,4.

I am using MacBookPro5,5.

I have never tried 5,1 actually but what you'd said makes sense.

But first let's wait for the new battery kext to see what it brings to the table.

Can you please send me your DSDT and ioreg dump?

I am using AnVaL to generate C and P States and remember having problems with MacBookPro5,4.

I am using MacBookPro5,5.

I have never tried 5,1 actually but what you'd said makes sense.

But first let's wait for the new battery kext to see what it brings to the table.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

As soon as i will have my hdx18 in my hands (in a couple days i guess) i will send you my ioreg and my dsdt ...

Mal

Ok Things get better :(

I don't know if your touchpad does support multitouch but mine doesn't. But it can be emulated as I did learn. Here is the result.

Two finger scrolling, tapping, clicking, two finger clicking etc. The only downside I could find is that touchpad gets greasy too easily. Besides, you don't have to use multi touch feature. Side scrolling alone is working fine. Keyboard functions in the same ways it did before; touch button, fn shortcut etc.

The optimum settings I could find are below.

post-562417-1299430687_thumb.png

post-562417-1299430706_thumb.png

Next is the isight camera. It was already being reported as isight but I did take it a step further and now Apple is reported as the vendor.

post-562417-1299430983_thumb.png

Next is the bluetooth. It was already working but it was being reported as HP Integrated Module.

post-562417-1299431067_thumb.png

post-562417-1299430960_thumb.png

You can now turn on/off the bluetooth device. I don't know if it does it physically or it is just a soft turn on/off.

post-562417-1299431203_thumb.png

I think I am the only one using Atheros 9280 but still I have another fix for it. It also has Apple as the vendor and uses the same ids that a real mac does.

In the next couple of days I'll share my experiences. Stay tune!

Hi JBraddock!

Here it is my dsdt and my ioreg dump in attachment!

Thanks!

Mal

Manmal, I did take a look at your files and it seems that you didn't apply native battery fix quite right. I believe this might be the reason you having problem with battery kext. Also, you shouldn't be using legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin anymore with the recent version of AnVaL. It might give you random KP on boot. If you are still having black screen on wake, it means that we in fact need Sata fixes as well.

I'll share my Extra folder soon. You can use my DSDT file right away. DSDT files of HDX 16 and HDX 18 are identical.

Manmal, I did take a look at your files and it seems that you didn't apply native battery fix quite right. I believe this might be the reason you having problem with battery kext. Also, you shouldn't be using legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin anymore with the recent version of AnVaL. It might give you random KP on boot. If you are still having black screen on wake, it means that we in fact need Sata fixes as well.

I'll share my Extra folder soon. You can use my DSDT file right away. DSDT files of HDX 16 and HDX 18 are identical.

thanks for sharing your updated extra folder!!

really appreciated and really useful (to understand a lot of things)!

mal

thanks for sharing your updated extra folder!!

really appreciated and really useful (to understand a lot of things)!

mal

Sure manmal. I'll share it soon.

I have been trying a new thermal zone fix, a better graphic powermanagement kext, which will reduce the fan noise of GPU (hopefully) and also a new trackpad kext which will use the default trackpad preferences instead of a third party one. Two finger scrolling, edge scrolling, two finger click, tapping, dragging, horizontal scrolling etc. all working.

== Work In Progress ==

== This Post Is Not Finished Yet. Please Come Back Again ==

Hi guys,

It is time to update this topic and gather all of the information in one place. I might not be able to give response to every single question during the next couple of months so it is better off sharing all of the fixes I've found so far. I will update this post so far as I've found something new. I am sure Valv will incorporate these updates into the first page when he has enough time.

I have been working on solving the major problems that most of us going through and I am happy to tell you that I was able to fix most of the problems including black screen on wake and audio loss after sleep.

Here is the change log of the fixes that I've found in addition to the ones in the first page. Credits to those incredible guys who are making the OSX dream a reality for us will be given once this post has been completed.

Credits

Changelog

Please use Kext Wizard to repair permissions.

Friday, 6 May 2011

* Volume control is now working with VoodooHDA. Mute still doesn't work.

* New Firewire Hack. Not tested.

* New Sata Fix. We don't need AHCIPort.kext anymore.

* The size of the DSDT file is much smaller. I removed unused devices. (Hope I didn't break anything)

* SMC version in FakeSMC.kext was corrected.

* EDID value is replaced with that of your panel. I am not sure this does affect the functionality though.

* Removed PCI Slot codes from Ethernet and Firewire as even real the mac doesn't have those. They slow down boot process.

* A new Chameleon theme by Mald0n. Change SnowKitty in boot.plist to Default if you want to try.

* A missing code for battery was added. I am not sure it affect the functionality.

* Applied some additional DSDT code for 9600M GT based on the values from real the mac. I haven't try HDMI with these fixes. I am not sure it affects the functionality. Test it please.

* CPU2 and CPU3 codes were removed from Scope (_PR).

* NO Bluetooth injector anymore. The only reason I've tried an injector is to be able to wake computer via a bluetooth device. But, it didn't work with my new wireless mighty mouse. Additionally, with an injector, I had problem with connection and sleep. When I removed the injector, everything works much better. Mighty Mouse gets recognised in login window and connection after sleep is much faster. So, please remove bluetooth injector from LegacyHDX18.kext if you using one. You should only have iSight injector.

* Reverted back to the keyboard and trackpad kexts in the first post. If you boot into x64, it will give you multitouch gestures.

Tuesday, 15 March 2011

- VoodooHDA was patched for HDMI audio and now HDMI audio is properly detected. It is working.

- New experimental kexts for card reader. Reported working.

- E-Sata: reported as working.

Thursday, 10 March 2011

- Fix for black screen on wake when sleep mode 3 is used. This fix includes PTS Shutdown fix and Sata fixes mentioned below.

- A new kext for graphic power management. The values in the older one were for Mac Pro. Power management is better now.

- A proper smbios.plist for MacBookPro5,5. Model id is now detected on boot.

- Legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin is removed from legacy kext. It will give random KP on boot when used. With the recent version of AnVaL & the above mentioned smbios.plist it is not needed anymore.

- FakeSMC was edited to update SMC Version to the latest one for MacBookPro5,5.

- Fixes for Sata issues which might affect wake from sleep.

- Update to keyboard & trackpad kexts. The latter one enables multitouch gestures and uses vanilla trackpad preference. We don't need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext anymore.

- Recent version (2.7.2) of VoodooHDA is modified for IDT 92HD71B7.

- Fix for a issue that will cause HDX 16 users to lose C-States randomly. a.k.a CMOS Reset fix.

- DSDT tweak for Atheros 9280, which manipulates the sub vendor id. Apple is now seen as the vendor. This trick might be needed for 10.6.7.

- Legacy iSight kext is updated. Apple is now reported as the vendor.

- A new injector for Bluetooth which enables turn on/off option from menu bar. Better driver support.

- Update to 9600M GT fix in the first page which enables us to change brightness.

- Device (PNLF) and Name (_HID, EisaId ("LCD1233")) were added to DSDT. They are needed for brightness together with GenericBrightness kext.

- In addition to the updated 9600M GT injector, an update to EDID value of HDX 16, which is different than that of HDX 18. Not sure if it affects the performance though.

- New battery kext, AppleACPIBatteryManager, and DSDT fix for battery.

- A tweak to increase the resolution of new Multitouch Synaptics Trackpad. It is much faster now.

- SnowKitty theme is now compatible with Chameleon RC5. Overlapping issue was solved.

- Update to SBUS device fix in the first page. The one in the first page will not load the required kexts.

- Update to Firewire device fix in the first page to remove an error log from Console at the expense of losing hot plug capability. I don't use Firewire so... See below Known Issue to see how to get it back.

- A new fix for Thermal Zone, which makes fan management slightly better.

- Bootloader was updated to AnVaL 5.1.4

- com.apple.Boot.plist was updated according to the latest version of AnVaL

- Kexts under Extra folder were updated and most of them now have OSBundleRequired = Root value. To my observations, on some occasion, this fixes some permissions problems.

Working

Speed Step: (AnVaL & DSDT) Native C and P States. Throttling and fan management is good.

Shutdown & Restart: (AnVaL) Working.

Graphics Card: (DSDT) Full QE/CI. HDMI & Dual display. Vanilla power management.

Sound: (VoodooHDA 2.7.2 modified for IDT 92HD71B7) Working without any major problem. No more KP (Hopefully) See below, Known Issues.

Keyboard: (Voodoo Keyboard) Working. Multimedia buttons & FN Shortcuts.

Trackpad: (Voodoo Trackpad) Working. Two finger, horizontal, vertical and edge scrolling, two finger and one finger clicking, tapping, dragging with vanilla trackpad preference.

Wifi: (Vanilla & DSDT)Working. Intel 5100 was replaced with HP Atheros 9280. Also a trick was used to change the device id to that of Apple.

Sleep/Wake: (DSDT) Working. All sleep modes are working.

Auto Sleep: (Vanilla) Working.

Ethernet: (Vanilla & DSDT) Working. Full duplex.

Battery: (AppleACPIBatteryManager & DSDT) Working. Auto dimming on battery. Correct calculations.

Brightness: (GenericBrightness) Working. Auto dimming on battery.

Sata/AHCI: (DSDT) Vanilla & Working.

Usb Devices: (DSDT) Working.

Webcam: (Vanilla & Legacy iSight) Working. Seen as iSight.

Bluetooth: (Vanilla) Working.

Firewire and E-Sata: (Vanilla & DSDT) Working

DVD Drive: (Vanilla) Working.

Card Reader: (VoodooSDHC.kext -64 Bit)Working.

HDMI Audio: (VoodooHDA 2.7.2 modified for 9600M GT) Working. Details coming.

Not Working

The obvious ones: Finger print reader, digital tv turner, remote control, IR Receiver, Blue Ray Driver.

Need Testing or Improving

Firewire: If you have a Firewire device please test it and report back.

Brightness and KP: It is possible that you might have kernel panic when plug or unplug HDMI cable due to the brightness. Please test this and report back.

Known Issues

VoodooHDA: The new kext is way better than the one you guys have been using for a while shared in this topic. I have never had any kind of kernel panics during repairing permissions neither did I get one during boot. But still, you should bear in mind that random kernel panic with VoodooHDA on boot is a common problem and has been confirmed by Slide.

Low Battery & Sleep: When battery is critically low, OSX will not go into sleep. Instead it will shut itself off. We are waiting for a new version of battery kext, which will hopefully fix this.

Firewire: As stated above, since I don't use Firewire, I added a piece of code to remove a line appear on Console. Apparently, it breaks hot plug capability. To fix this, simply open DSDT file and locate Device (J380) and delete any codes that are different from firewire fix in the first page.

6 May 2011: I've found a new fix but I am not sure if it fixes this problem. Otherwise, follow above-mentioned steps.

Prerequisites & Assumptions

- I assume that you'd installed Snow Leopard from a retail dvd and not from any kind of distro releases. i.e Hazard, iAtkos.

- Although I tested these fixes on 10.6.6, they should be working on the previous versions as well.

- Also, I will assume that you are familiar with basic terms like kernel panic, Extra folder, permissions, chameleon, bootloader etc. If not, please use forum to familiarise yourself with these terms.

- I only used AnVaL as the bootloader and therefore I will assume that you are using it.

- Before reporting a problem please make sure that you use exactly the same files with me unless otherwise noted.

- You must have the latest bios (F32.A) installed for HDX 16 and 18.

- When you have a problem with a specific kext that I have shared, please inform us about it but also take that issue up with the original author of the kext to help it be solved.

- You should have the same files in your Extra folder with My Extra Folder without adding or removing any kext that I've mentioned. If you have a better kext please share it. Please read Which Files to Install part.

- I use Pfix for repairing permissions. It seems slow but does the job. Use Kext Wizard instead.

- Most of the time I'll will not write down every DSDT fixes here, instead you should be using DiffMerge to see the changes. Trust me it is better this way.

- Before asking me a question, bear in mind that I am a student in the social sciences. I don't have any programming skills. So excuse my lack of knowledge. :D

HDX with GeForce 130M

Set GrahicEnabler to Yes in boot.plist and remove graphic fix from the DSDT file.

Which Files to Install

Folder-Content.png

If you are not sure which files to install, please read carefully:

1) Take a look at My Extra Folder. As its name suggests it is my Extra folder. In addition to this folder I only have VoodooHDA installed to System/Library/Extensions. I do not have any other kext.

2) When you create your own Extra folder you need to make sure that you have the exact same files* with me under your Extra folder.

a )
It is safe to use MacBookPro5,5 for both P8700 and P8400.

b.)
You have
two options for sound
. Go on reading.

c)
FakeSMC
kext is the standart one without plugin support. It has the correct SMC version for MacBookPro5,5.

d.)
Choose your
DSDT
file according to your configuration. HDX 16 and HDX 18 can use the same DSDT file. But there is a difference in EDID value in GPU fix.

e)
After you have chosen your files. You should have the following files in your Extra folder.

- com.apple.Boot.plist

- dsdt.aml

- Extensions

- smbios.plist

- Themes/SnowKitty

Under
Extra/Extensions
folder, you should have the followings:

- AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- LegacyHdx18.kext

- VoodooPS2Controller.kext

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

- LegacyAppleHDA.kext - (Dont use this if you decide to use VoodooHDA, which should be installed to System/Library/Extensions)

Under your
System/Library/Extensions
, you should have the followings.

- AppleHDA.kext or VoodooHDA depending on your choice.

- GenericBrightness.kext

* Please note that in order to use AppleHDA, you also need HDEF patch in your DSDT file. Please see below for this fix.

f)
How to install VoodooHDA
:

If you previously were using AppleHDA with HDEF fix and decided to try VoodooHDA, please follow the steps before installing VoodooHDA in order to prevent potential issues.

- Remove HDEF device from your DSDT file.

- Remove LegacyHDA.kext from your Extra folder.

- Repair permissions and restart. Do not install VoodooHDA at this point.

- After restart, install VoodooHDA, repair permissions and restart.

g)
How to Install AppleHDA

If you decide to use AppleHDA instead of VoodooHDA, alonside with AppleHDA and LegacyHDA kexts you will need the following DSDT fix. Put this before Device (LANC), which is not the only place that it could work though.

Device (HDEF)
{
	Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
	Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		Return (Package (0x02)
		{
			0x0D, 
			0x05
		})
	}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	{
		Store (Package (0x0E)
			{
				"built-in", 
				Buffer (One)
				{
					0x01
				}, 

"subsystem-id", 
				Buffer (0x04)
				{
					0x1B, 0x36, 0x00, 0x00
				}, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
				Buffer (0x04)
				{
					0x3C, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
				}, 

"codec-id", 
				Buffer (0x04)
				{
					0xB2, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11
				}, 

"layout-id", 
				Buffer (0x04)
				{
					0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00 //888
				}, 

"device-type", 
				Buffer (0x10)
				{
					"IDT 92HD71B7"
				}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
				Buffer (Zero) {}
			}, Local0)
		DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		Return (Local0)
	}
}

g)
How to LegacyHDX18.kext

This kext includes a fix for webcam, with which it will be recognised as iSight. It is possible that your vendor and device id are different from mine. If so, look at
post to change it accordingly.

h)
About com.apple.Boot.plist

- Default Partition is set to hd(0,1) so change it if needed.

- Do not set Graphics Mode higher than 1280x1024x32 or you'll get black screen on boot.

- If you don't like Apple logo on boot, change Legacy Logo to No.

- There is no embedded Chameleon theme inside the AnVaL.

- We are now using x64 bit by default.

- If you want to know what AnVaL is loading prior to booting change Wait to Yes.

3) Above all, you need to install AnVaL the bootloader. Download the latest version from here.

SMbios.plist

By default, you should use MacBookPro5,5 as our mac model. The real MacBookPro5,5 have either P8700 or P8400 so if you have one of these CPU, you should use MacBookPro5,5. Change SMmaximalclock according to your CPU.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>06/15/09</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardversion</key>
<string>Not Specified</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F2268AC8</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>W8923YDH66D</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2261</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Computer Inc.</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Further Tweeks

Wifi Card: I replaced my Intel 5100 card with an Hp Atheros 9280 and it worked out of the box. But still I did apply the following hack to get Apple seen as the sub vendor. Search for Device (EXP1) and paste the following code right before the last bracket. Similarly, if you have another wifi card working on OSX apart from Atheros 9280, you can modify this code to according to your need.

Device (ARPT)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x06)
                           {
                               "device-id", 
                               Unicode ("*"), // Don't worry it is same as 0x2A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

"subsystem-id", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }
               }

Synaptics Touchpad:

Use the kexts from the first post but make sure that you are booting into 64Bit as it will give you multitouch gestures.

Download Files

Guys, there is a new bios update numbered F.34. As of now, It is only out for HDX 18 users but also had been reported to work on HDX. I'll wait a bit longer for its official release for HDX 16. Otherwise, I might go for it. Apparent changes from F.32:

- Fixed some bug where the battery would be detected as the wrong type

- Changed something in an area I don't quite understand (DMA Remapping Table), might have to do with hardware compatibility/blacklisting

- An additional "brightness control layer" has been added (different dimming for a certain monitor type?)

- Might include thermal zone fixes (quoted from another forum)

(via)

The modified version is here: SLIC 2.1 and WLAN whitelist removed. You can download the original one from HP website.

@HDX 18 users, did you install this bios update? Any change in DSDT file? Any noticeable differences?

Please report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JBraddock!

Your install method rocks. Very good idea. I almost have the same configuration with my HDX18

I only made little changes to the DSDT because I have a GeForce 130M 1024MB. Anyways, maybe it could also have worked with the standard mods. I still have to optimize Speedstep, since my system has a Core 2 Quad Processor Q9000.

Could you upload a zip file of all the files you use (under Which Files to Install)? I know that you didn't finish this post, but I'm eager to try some of your files.

Thank you in advance!

Hi JBraddock!

Your install method rocks. Very good idea. I almost have the same configuration with my HDX18

I only made little changes to the DSDT because I have a GeForce 130M 1024MB. Anyways, maybe it could also have worked with the standard mods. I still have to optimize Speedstep, since my system has a Core 2 Quad Processor Q9000.

Could you upload a zip file of all the files you use (under Which Files to Install)? I know that you didn't finish this post, but I'm eager to try some of your files.

Thank you in advance!

Hi it is great to see you back,

Thank you for that and sorry as it is taking me this long to finish it. I have been tied up with some writing.

Sure, I could send you the files right away but you got me thinking because you have a very different configuration. Especially your CPU? I really don't know how to get speed step working in your case. smbios.plist, keys in the boot.plist are generally for speed steps.

Instead of DSDT fix, I think you should use GraphicsEnabler to get your graphic card working because I haven't seen a real mac which uses that graphic card. If you know one, please do let me know. I have another friend using that card and it got it working with GraphicsEnabler including HDMI. Without it, I don't know how to create power management and brightness for your graphic card. We could still try to use values from 9600M GT but it would probably decrease the performance.

Only, DSDT file, new kext for keyboard and trackpad, new VoodooHDA and injectors seem logical to share.

I might need to remove HDMI audio from the kext as it is for 9600M GT. But if you could send me a VoodooHDA dump, I could try to patch it according to your GPU. I need to know the PCI address of your HDMI audio device.

Do let me know what you think and I'll send you the files.

Hi it is great to see you back,

Thank you for that and sorry as it is taking me this long to finish it. I have been tied up with some writing.

Sure, I could send you the files right away but you got me thinking because you have a very different configuration. Especially your CPU? I really don't know how to get speed step working in your case. smbios.plist, keys in the boot.plist are generally for speed steps.

Instead of DSDT fix, I think you should use GraphicsEnabler to get your graphic card working because I haven't seen a real mac which uses that graphic card. If you know one, please do let me know. I have another friend using that card and it got it working with GraphicsEnabler including HDMI. Without it, I don't know how to create power management and brightness for your graphic card. We could still try to use values from 9600M GT but it would probably decrease the performance.

Only, DSDT file, new kext for keyboard and trackpad, new VoodooHDA and injectors seem logical to share.

I might need to remove HDMI audio from the kext as it is for 9600M GT. But if you could send me a VoodooHDA dump, I could try to patch it according to your GPU. I need to know the PCI address of your HDMI audio device.

Do let me know what you think and I'll send you the files.

About the graphic card, it works great with the DSDT injection. The only problem is that sometimes I have KP when plugging or unplugging an HDMI cable. I don't know if it's my graphic card or some tweaks to do with the HDMI settings. Anyways, when I get HDMI, it's crystal clear on both my HD TV and my HDX screen. Brightness works too. But I'm not sure what could be the problem with power management...

About power management, when on battery, it drains very quickly. Maybe it's my battery... OS X tells me to verify it... Could it be a speedstep problem? (see below).

Now for speedstepping, I added GenerateCStates & GeneratePStates to the com.apple.Boot.plist. I'm just not sure how to confirm the effectiveness of this manipulation.

Any ideas about the HDMI thing and the C(&P)States?

About the graphic card, it works great with the DSDT injection. The only problem is that sometimes I have KP when plugging or unplugging an HDMI cable. I don't know if it's my graphic card or some tweaks to do with the HDMI settings. Anyways, when I get HDMI, it's crystal clear on both my HD TV and my HDX screen. Brightness works too. But I'm not sure what could be the problem with power management...

About power management, when on battery, it drains very quickly. Maybe it's my battery... OS X tells me to verify it... Could it be a speedstep problem? (see below).

Now for speedstepping, I added GenerateCStates & GeneratePStates to the com.apple.Boot.plist. I'm just not sure how to confirm the effectiveness of this manipulation.

Any ideas about the HDMI thing and the C(&P)States?

I've recently sent an Extra folder to a friend, who has the same GPU with you. I asked him to test it properly including HDMI and HDMI audio. I didn't apply any DSDT hack but GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I'll write back to you if I hear anything. But in the mean time, you could try removing DSDT hack and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in your boot.plist to see if it makes any difference.

Regarding speed step, if you are using RC5, then one way to check it is to add Wait=Yes to boot.plist. It will tell your what it loads. Other way would be to check temp values and use MSR Tools (32 Bit only) to check if CPU is throttling. I know I states the obvious but my knowledge is really limited about this. Sorry.

In my case, I wouldn't be exaggerating If I was to say speed step is working as if it was on Windows or may be better :)

The mac model you choose will affect your speed step. We use MacBookPro5,5 or MacBookPro5,4. In my case, if I use MacBookPro5,4, I have problems and that's because MacBookPro5,4 comes only with P8700 CPU whereas MacBookPro5,5 comes with P7550, P8400 and P8700 CPUs.

I just need more detail reports about speed step on HDXs then I will try to combine kexts into two folders. MacBookPro5,5 and MacBookPro5,4. Since there are different HDXs with different CPUs, I had to create such a detail and yet confusing installation process.

@JBraddock

I already tried MSR Tools. I only see CPU0 and CPU1 with Speedstep on... Where are CPU2 and CPU3???

For each CPU I see, there are TM1 and TM2, both off. Is it possible to activate thermal monitoring ?

Is there another program for monitoring Speedstep on a Core2 Quad CPU?

If you're ok with the idea, could you upload your files... I'll try some manipulations and see.

Maybe I have too old kexts. ;-)

Thanks.

@JBraddock

I already tried MSR Tools. I only see CPU0 and CPU1 with Speedstep on... Where are CPU2 and CPU3???

For each CPU I see, there are TM1 and TM2, both off. Is it possible to activate thermal monitoring ?

Is there another program for monitoring Speedstep on a Core2 Quad CPU?

If you're ok with the idea, could you upload your files... I'll try some manipulations and see.

Maybe I have too old kexts. ;-)

Thanks.

I am not sure if MSR Tools is capable of showing all cores. You can get TM1 and TM2 on by using the latest version of AnVaL. Add the following key to the boot.plist.

<key>FixTM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Also, I got an email from the friend I'd mentioned above and he doesn't have any problem with plugging or unplugging the HDMI cable. Again, you should use GraphicsEnabler=Yes instead of DSDT fix.

I'll pm the files so you could try.

• 1 month later...

Hi JBraddock and valv!! ;)

Thanks for your great guides! My Laptop HP HDX16 worked well, but i have a question for you:

when i used AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and DSDT I can not choose "show battery status in the menu bar" in Energy Sever :D but when I replaced AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext by VoodooBattery.kext it worked, I don't know why??please, can you show me these differences between them?? which one is better??

I am waitting for your answers, one again thanks your great guides!!!!!

Hi JBraddock and valv!! :D

Thanks for your great guides! My Laptop HP HDX16 worked well, but i have a question for you:

when i used AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext and DSDT I can not choose "show battery status in the menu bar" in Energy Sever :unsure: but when I replaced AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext by VoodooBattery.kext it worked, I don't know why??please, can you show me these differences between them?? which one is better??

I am waitting for your answers, one again thanks your great guides!!!!!

What is your CPU and GPU?

What is your CPU and GPU?

Hi JBraddock

My HDX16 infor:

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 2x2.4GHz /1066Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache.

Chipset: Intel® P45

Memory: 04GB DDR2 Bus 800MHz

HDD: 500GB 5400rpm SATA

VGA: 512Mb Geforce 9600GT.

Display: 16 Infinity WXGAUlttra BrightView (1366x768) , Webcam 1.3M

Hi JBraddock

My HDX16 infor:

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 2x2.4GHz /1066Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache.

Chipset: Intel® P45

Memory: 04GB DDR2 Bus 800MHz

HDD: 500GB 5400rpm SATA

VGA: 512Mb Geforce 9600GT.

Display: 16 Infinity WXGAUlttra BrightView (1366x768) , Webcam 1.3M

Hi,

Can you also please send me an IOREG dump by using IORegisteryExplorer.app?

If you have an optical mouse, make sure you've plugged it in before dumping the registry. We'll turn you optical mouse into apple mighty mouse.

Hi,

Can you also please send me an IOREG dump by using IORegisteryExplorer.app?

If you have an optical mouse, make sure you've plugged it in before dumping the registry. We'll turn you optical mouse into apple mighty mouse.

Hi!

I don't have optical mouse. I sent you 2 IOREG dump files, Sorry!!! because I don't kown IOREG dump file I only kown DSDT.aml file, So can you show me how to use it?? please help me

file.ioreg

http://www.mediafire.com/?v4vp2al2aj4yl4d

file.txt

http://www.mediafire.com/?aewoa642qb4dren

Thanks so much!! :unsure:

Hi!

I don't have optical mouse. I sent you 2 IOREG dump files, Sorry!!! because I don't kown IOREG dump file I only kown DSDT.aml file, So can you show me how to use it?? please help me

file.ioreg

http://www.mediafire.com/?v4vp2al2aj4yl4d

file.txt

http://www.mediafire.com/?aewoa642qb4dren

Thanks so much!! :(

I did take note of your configuration and hopefully, I will upload an Extra folder very soon that you can try.

Hi JBraddock, i have a question, When i add code Native Bright and code for Graphics 9600GT i have problems logout is blue screen and when i play Call of Duty, kernel panic. Help me. Thanks

It is a known issue. You might also have HDMI problem when using brightness. Take a look at the original post of that brightness fix where you can see the discussion. There is an another brightness fix which I haven't tried yet. Here it is. If you try, please let us know if it solves these issues.