Rox55

32 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's mostly bashed because it's sloooow and pretty much featureless on the outside. Sure, the inside is more stable and somewhat advanced, and PRETTI THEMEZ0RS are there, but there's very little improvement elsewhere compared to the initial promises.

They even scrapped Monad (think all the benefits of sh, simplified and object-oriented)...

This is a Vista bashing thread... Microsoft promised and couldn't deliver. I know it's happened with Apple and others, but this is happening now.

1GB RAM required to run neatly for Vista. I feel bad for Dell, selling those $399 systems with 256mb RAM, (Why am i feeling bad for dell, they suck!).

It's mostly bashed because it's sloooow and pretty much featureless on the outside. Sure, the inside is more stable and somewhat advanced, and PRETTI THEMEZ0RS are there, but there's very little improvement elsewhere compared to the initial promises.

They even scrapped Monad (think all the benefits of sh, simplified and object-oriented)...

its faster the os 11 and has heaps more features than even os 11.3

Dead.

you missed my point....how can you comment on vista's speed and features when no one on earth has used it yet!?

I can comment quite safely on it because I am in fact running Vista, beta 5219 if you are that intreseted. The speed rivals that of XP, and the features are the same as XP, but with a few extras.

I can comment quite safely on it because I am in fact running Vista, beta 5219 if you are that intreseted. The speed rivals that of XP, and the features are the same as XP, but with a few extras.

oh man no offence....but you are a goose. I am running 5231, have been for 2 days now....but how on earth can you call this the finished product or anything even close to the complete feature set. fancy judging the speed of Vista build 64xx or whatever it will be in about 9 months to what you are using now. idiot.

oh man no offence....but you are a goose. I am running 5231, have been for 2 days now....but how on earth can you call this the finished product or anything even close to the complete feature set. fancy judging the speed of Vista build 64xx or whatever it will be in about 9 months to what you are using now. idiot.

I'd like you to point out where I said that this is a finished product; I made no such reference. I am commenting simply on the currently implemented features and abilites that one has in the OS. It is also not fair to judge any other future releases as you simply don't know what the speed will be until it is actually released.

Get your facts straight.

I'd like you to point out where I said that this is a finished product; I made no such reference. I am commenting simply on the currently implemented features and abilites that one has in the OS. It is also not fair to judge any other future releases as you simply don't know what the speed will be until it is actually released.

Get your facts straight.

thanks for rewording my thread and posting it back to me. :D

Apparently you haven't read that MS is cutting back half the features they claimed would be available. It's not about the betas, it was confirmed.

i dont even know how to respond to comments like that. vista is a project that has taken over 5 years to create and will have litterally thousands of new features. so they pulled winfs and a couple of other things. how can you say things like 'Microsoft promised and couldn't deliver', about a product that is still a year away from release to consumers? how old are you? clearly you are just arguing for the sake of it...

so they pulled winfs and a couple of other things. how can you say things like 'Microsoft promised and couldn't deliver', about a product that is still a year away from release to consumers?

Simply because Microsoft has pulled some of the biggest features. I don't think that the majority of people frankly care about a system that is using 3D driver support outside of gaming, or will be floored by the new icons and themes. A bit of re-working to the hard drive and control panel presentation? Let's be realistic here; it's turning out to be a lot of smoke and mirrors, and while it is true that launch is still "a year away" (which can in fact be moved forward, mind you), I've still yet to see the kinds of innovations from the Microsoft camp that Apple has been demonstrating in the past few years with OSX.

how old are you? clearly you are just arguing for the sake of it...

I'd be hard-pressed to believe that you are not doing the same.

There have been many, many reports that "Windows is becoming modular and ordered" and MS's programmer coordination has improved. That's their excuse for the timeframe they've set up and the features they'll provide.

This can be a simple excuse or it can be true. It doesn't really matter, does it? XP is "stable enough" for a lot of users, and increased code neatness isn't going to be a widely seeked feature. The cool effects and UI improvements won't be usable on the vast majority of PCs. New ones, maybe, but this isn't going to change the way people work like MS has promised.

I do have to credit MS for FINALLY having a chance to meet a tentative launch date. In the past, (cough Cairo cough), they pulled features and still delivered late.

Well, Vista/Longhorn is in Beta right now, all the features aren't there yet. Like drivers, compatability, fancy GUI visualizations, protection, etc. You really can't say much about it negatively b/c they can always be improved at this point (a little under a year to full release) wether some aspects (spyware/virus protection) will be improved or even integrated is still to be seen. I've run it and am pretty impressed with it, it has alot of potential and looks like it GUI-wise it will surpass OSX, but there is no need to player hate.

http://channel9.msdn.com

go here and check out some of the interview's of the guy's actually coding Vista. You will be amazed at some of the cool things they are doing.

check out the new audio stack in Vista. Check out teh new tcp/ip stack. check out the north face demo.

Check out 10 or so other new technologies and you will have to agree that Vista is a major work of art and will put osx in 2nd place till they release os 11.