MSN Messenger on Mac

Eos9

14 posts in this topic

Having convinced the family to ditch our Windows PC for an Apple Mac , I am now getting grief concerning making video calls on MSN messenger.

Although I had asked if MSN messenger was available for download on a Mac I was not aware that the option of using a webcam and making video calls was not available.

Although I see Apple has its own Ichat program the family have used Messenger for many years and don't have any friends etc that also own a Mac.

All their contacts are MSN 'buddies' and they would obviously like to continue using the application but with the use of video so they continue using the webcam.

Is it possible therefore to have MSN Messenger installed with an option to make video calls or use an application that allows this feature but continues to use the Messenger 'contacts list'.

Any help is much appreciated.

Having convinced the family to ditch our Windows PC for an Apple Mac , I am now getting grief concerning making video calls on MSN messenger.

Although I had asked if MSN messenger was available for download on a Mac I was not aware that the option of using a webcam and making video calls was not available.

Although I see Apple has its own Ichat program the family have used Messenger for many years and don't have any friends etc that also own a Mac.

All their contacts are MSN 'buddies' and they would obviously like to continue using the application but with the use of video so they continue using the webcam.

Is it possible therefore to have MSN Messenger installed with an option to make video calls or use an application that allows this feature but continues to use the Messenger 'contacts list'.

Any help is much appreciated.

There is beta version (messenger 8 for mac) that should support webcam... try to googel it... but remember it's beta not so stable.

• 3 weeks later...
just download amsn, it supports video calls and audio calls

Yes but Amsn Doesn't support yahoo contacts....and msn for mac beta 8 only suports video calls(only if your contact have windows msn live 2009 installed), not just only camera, or voice or voice clip no messages off line...it's the same {censored} than 7 but only with video call, and most of the times you can't even see the pictures of your contacts and they ever cant see yours.

So, what about Bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels with Windows? Sure, that's not the best solution but it might convince your family on the pros of a mac combining both sides, Windows and Mac All-In-One. So they still can use Windows Live and their Windows games, but still have the benefits of all that nicely designed Mac apps.

So, what about Bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels with Windows? Sure, that's not the best solution but it might convince your family on the pros of a mac combining both sides, Windows and Mac All-In-One. So they still can use Windows Live and their Windows games, but still have the benefits of all that nicely designed Mac apps.

good idea :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is what I do too. I always have a VMWare running Windows XP open so I can do some stuff like using webcam with WLM and opening weird Word files that won't open correctly in OpenOffice. For regular MSN I use Adium tho, best IM app IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...