AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5

hnak

751 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've a HP ProBook 6460b with DSDT loaded and Chimera v1.4.1 r887.

For network I've just installed the newest kext (1.3.17).

Can you help me (maybe via pn) to figure out what goes wrong?

Thank you

Unfortunately, I cannot be of much help, until I reproduce the same problem.

Please read my previous thread with foodbardbadz.

I've got a 10D3 working (mostly) perfect in my Hackintosh using the latest version of your driver. Speeds are very good over LAN with AFP (about 200mbit higher than my old Realtek), but if I put a lot of pressure on the network the driver totally dies until I force dismount the AFP share. No kernel panics though.

I've got a 10D3 working (mostly) perfect in my Hackintosh using the latest version of your driver. Speeds are very good over LAN with AFP (about 200mbit higher than my old Realtek), but if I put a lot of pressure on the network the driver totally dies until I force dismount the AFP share. No kernel panics though.

Does it start working again after AFP volume unmounting ?

If so, it does not sound like a driver problem.

Will you check if the same problem is reprodcued using different protocosl, such as SMB or FTP ?

hnak, worked fine on the official Apple Dual Gigabit Ethernet Card under Lion modifying the ID to 0x10f68086.

Had issues using Intel82574L.kext (card gets recognized but dies on activity)

Is 'Link Aggregation' using LACP supported by this driver?

Thanks,

Kris

Does it start working again after AFP volume unmounting ?

If so, it does not sound like a driver problem.

Will you check if the same problem is reprodcued using different protocosl, such as SMB or FTP ?

It starts working when the AFP connection times out and I can force unmount it. I don't think it's related to AFP though since all network traffic dies, can't even ping other machines on my local network. But I'll do the same test with SMB and see what happens -- unsure if it'll trigger it though as SMB doesn't perform nearly as well as AFP for me (30-40mb/sec vs. 70-80mb/sec with AFP)

hnak, worked fine on the official Apple Dual Gigabit Ethernet Card under Lion modifying the ID to 0x10f68086.

Had issues using Intel82574L.kext (card gets recognized but dies on activity)

Is 'Link Aggregation' using LACP supported by this driver?

Thanks,

Kris

As I have never tried link aggregation, no idea.

I don't know any methods specifically defined for link aggregation in IOKit, though it may exist.

If Network preference panel allows activating aggregation, it is supported by an upper layer. Just try and see what happens.

It starts working when the AFP connection times out and I can force unmount it. I don't think it's related to AFP though since all network traffic dies, can't even ping other machines on my local network. But I'll do the same test with SMB and see what happens -- unsure if it'll trigger it though as SMB doesn't perform nearly as well as AFP for me (30-40mb/sec vs. 70-80mb/sec with AFP)

I guess the driver's output buffer becomes full when networking stalls. In the case, any outgoing packets are discarded - so even ping does not work. I suspect AFP repeatedly tries to send many small packets in the case.

You can use Network Utility to check if the counts of in/out/error packets change.

If so, as the number of buffer is hard-coded (256, probably) , there is no solution to the problem unless you change the value in the source and built the driver.

As I have never tried link aggregation, no idea.

I don't know any methods specifically defined for link aggregation in IOKit, though it may exist.

If Network preference panel allows activating aggregation, it is supported by an upper layer. Just try and see what happens.

Woohoo!! Bonding works too and with 9K Jumbo frames no less. :)

Of course you need to create a 'Link Aggregation Group (LAG)' and enable 'Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)' on the Switch supporting these features (Mine is Netgear GS108T Smart Switch)

This is just the perfect setup I was looking for to stream from and backup to my Synology DS 509+ NAS (also on another LAG).

Thanks hnak.

Kris

post-345338-1315729413_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

The driver work with my intel onboard 82579 (asus p8z68 vpro - lion) but i have two problems...

In the preferences the jumbo frames is not present and the max mtu is 1500, i solved this issue with the command "sudo ifconfig en0 mtu 9000" and this is, is SOLVED ;)

The other problem is WOL (Wake On Lan) i need this feature.... in pref panel is not present and ifconfig or pmset not help me :( i think is necessary to use ethtool but i not able to compile this command in osx!

Other solutions?

The driver work with my intel onboard 82579 (asus p8z68 vpro - lion) but i have two problems...

In the preferences the jumbo frames is not present and the max mtu is 1500, i solved this issue with the command "sudo ifconfig en0 mtu 9000" and this is, is SOLVED :)

The other problem is WOL (Wake On Lan) i need this feature.... in pref panel is not present and ifconfig or pmset not help me ;) i think is necessary to use ethtool but i not able to compile this command in osx!

Other solutions?

It sounds strange that mtu cannot be set in Network preference panel, if you select "manual" settings.

WOL can be set in the Energy Saver preference panel if NIC supports it.

As I do not use it personally, I have never cared about it.

It should be simple to enable WOL ( just not to shutdown phy ), I will take a look when I have time.

As WOL also depends on S-state, it may require AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to work properly.

My PowerManagement is ok, with pci board rtl8169 and native driver i have Wol in the Energy Saver preference panel, and it work. With onboard intel 82579 i not have the option... is a driver problem, in seven and in linux the wol is ok

I updated the code base to 1.6.2.

It is WOL-enabled, at least Energy Saver shows the option.

Though I do not succeed in waking up my PC, it may be because I use NullCPUPowerManagement to avoid KP.

Thank's for the new kext! Work good and is slightly faster than the old version (100+ mb/sec with afp) but the wol not work... now i have two board in my mackintosh (8169 pci, 82579 onboard) when my lion go in sleep mode the rtl8169 stay on, 82579 is powered off :)

P.S. With the original e1000e kernel modules (in linux) and 82579 chip onboard, the wol go without problems and when i turn off (or sleep) the pc, the network stay on.

Thank's for the new kext! Work good and is slightly faster than the old version (100+ mb/sec with afp) but the wol not work... now i have two board in my mackintosh (8169 pci, 82579 onboard) when my lion go in sleep mode the rtl8169 stay on, 82579 is powered off :)

P.S. With the original e1000e kernel modules (in linux) and 82579 chip onboard, the wol go without problems and when i turn off (or sleep) the pc, the network stay on.

Problem is, there is no document or sample code for the right sequence to prepare wakeup in Mac OS X.

In addition, my PC doesn't sleep.

I simply give up for now.

As source is available at sourceforge.net, you can freely tweak it.

• 3 weeks later...

now i got the 2 ports showing up correctly in the system with the attached kext.

when i use dhcp i get a self assigned ip, which means that there is no connection to the router.

when i manualy assign the correct ip, the light is green and it says connected, but i cant access any webpages.

any help would be very much appreciated.

now i got the 2 ports showing up correctly in the system with the attached kext.

when i use dhcp i get a self assigned ip, which means that there is no connection to the router.

when i manualy assign the correct ip, the light is green and it says connected, but i cant access any webpages.

any help would be very much appreciated.

82575/82576 are not suported by this driver, which is based in Linux e1000e.

If you want the driver, you have to port by yourself from Linux igb, which is hosted on the same site.

82575/82576 are not suported by this driver, which is based in Linux e1000e.

If you want the driver, you have to port by yourself from Linux igb, which is hosted on the same site.

hello hnak,

thanks for your reply.

i never ported a driver from anywhere, is that something that can be done easily?

hello hnak,

thanks for your reply.

i never ported a driver from anywhere, is that something that can be done easily?

If you have experience in writing linux/bsd low level programs, it is possible, but it takes time and endurance.

There were some questions about porting the igb code base in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
I updated the code base to 1.6.2.

It is WOL-enabled, at least Energy Saver shows the option.

Though I do not succeed in waking up my PC, it may be because I use NullCPUPowerManagement to avoid KP.

I don't use NullCPUpowermanagement kext, and my computer sleeps and wake up very nicely, yet it doesn't wakeup with WOL, when I turn off the computer from Windows, it does wake up with wol, it's something to do with the driver, to put the adapter in the correct power mode...

(i am a bit of a hacker, but not the kind that writes drivers, i'll try to compare your driver to the linux one and see if i can figure out the differences)

Update:

I downloaded the sources of the Intel opensource driver and hnak driver, compared, the main driver class is different.

I tried putting some comments in all down/up/wake/wol functions, and compiled a kext.

From the log, if what it says is true, the computer gets shutdown before the ethernet card finished it's shutdown procedure. You can check the attached file, i highlighted my comments.

Some stuff that can be good is that when I issue the sleep command, the card gets a call AppleIntelE1000e::setWakeOnMagicPacket(TRUE), WOL support = YES, when it wakes it the call becomes AppleIntelE1000e::setWakeOnMagicPacket(FALSE), WOL support = YES, but it doesn't work.

lnx2mac driver can be helpful, because it supports WOL, but the sources are not yet published ;)

e1000_ethernet_debug.rtf

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i have this:

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view....oname=NAF92-Q67

which has:

"Intel 82579LM & 82574L Gigabit LAN"

on 10.6.8 with version 1.6.2 of this kext.

when the computer boots, both ethernet interfaces in system preferences show the yellow 'orb' and 'self-assigned ip' with nothing plugged in.

if you plug and unplug a cable that has something else on the other end, then they go to the red 'orb' and saying 'not connected' which is normal for idle ethernet plugs on mac.