Partitioning Software?

The Big O

12 posts in this topic

What sort of functionality are you looking for?

I personally just use a Knoppix LiveCD (has qtparted) to resize partitions and things. At work we do have Partition Magic, but it isn't free at all.

I tried partition magic on my laptop at work to make space for install windows xp on it, but it didn't recognise the file format of the Apple partition. :)

Try that Knoppix Live CD (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/), really! :) It'll recognize your HFS+ and let you resize it and stuff. Just download it and burn to CD. The program to run is qtparted...if it isn't in the menu, open a terminal and type qtparted. It even has a decent GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

The best I have found is gnome partiton editor live cd, or something like that. Pm me if you want a link, and dont install norton partition magic because it messes with startup and reg and does not remove that stuff when unstalled.

thanks

bwhsh8r

< QTparted is totally free so you don't have to steal it, and as has been said, it can resize HFS+.

The older version 0.4.4 on the SystemRescueCD did NOT recognize my HFS+ partiton correctly and could neither resize it (maybe not the mostz recent libparted library on there?)

I am just burning the newest Knoppix CD with qtparted 0.4.5.1 on it and will know in a couple of minutes if the newer version does tje job [edit] Knoppix 5.0 does NOT run on my Laptop, not even in failsafe or expert mode with pretty much everthing disabled, looks like some issue with my GeForce Graphics Card. Oh well .. :\

< Try GParted from Source Forge, It's a live cd and it's free.

Thanks for the hint - nice LiveCD! It is just shrinking my HFS.partition ;) . Too bad there is no real progress bar, but at least the slider-thingie is moving. [edit] it DID it :) !! Thanks, donicci !!

I guess it's always better to defrag before shrinking - what defrag soft are you guys using (for HFS-drives)?