Unsatisfied with OSx86?

90 posts in this topic

The flame is strong here. lol.

Oh well, I still say it just comes down to what someone is more used to using. I like both fairly equally, although for just every day 'normal' use I prefer OS X over Windows, but Vista is making some strides in some areas. (And prefer both over Ubuntu, which I have to use at work).

As for the alt-tab live previews, I also think Expose has it done better. :(

You know what. Ubuntu will solve all your problems. Hardware support for most everything; apps you can use; IT'S FREE as in speech; and more eye-candy than you can droll at. Just look at AIGLX(or XGL)/Compiz. Beauty. Better than Aqua, XP or Metacity any day. XP and OS X have one serious problem, that they are closed-source. I see OS X opening up to the FOSS world and the advantages it can bring. I'll never use either until they are freed up. I don't even know why I come to these forums, if I'm not going to install the software. But that's my problem...

You know what. Ubuntu will solve all your problems. Hardware support for most everything; apps you can use; IT'S FREE as in speech; and more eye-candy than you can droll at. Just look at AIGLX(or XGL)/Compiz. Beauty. Better than Aqua, XP or Metacity any day. XP and OS X have one serious problem, that they are closed-source. I see OS X opening up to the FOSS world and the advantages it can bring. I'll never use either until they are freed up. I don't even know why I come to these forums, if I'm not going to install the software. But that's my problem...

No apps, no games , far worse situation than osx

First, I'll take my alt-tab LIVE PREVIEWS in Vista over OS X any day. I also would prefer that the media player which comes with my OS does not have a nag screen, many PRO grayed out features on the menu, and limited functionality. Windows Media Player is a much better bundled app than Quicktime. Why should I have to pay $30 to fully experience the media player enclosed with my OS, especially since the binaries to do all of what I want are sitting right there on my disk, just waiting for a serial number. And pirating a serial IS NOT a valid arguement.

Well, iTunes does support full screen video playing if you're unhappy with QuickTime Player. Now shut up.

For those of you constantly advocating Microsoft Office on the Mac, I hate to disappoint you all, but there is no friggin way it is better on the Mac than the PC. Microsoft would deliberately not do that. First of all, half the features are missing from Powerpoint, word and Excel, second, there are about 10 more great Office applications which aren't available for the mac, such as Microsoft Access, which kills Filemaker Pro.

I never could understand Access, so maybe that's why I'm still using AppleWorks' database module. It just works and is simply amazing. Microsoft itself has admitted (with the advent of the G4 iMac nonetheless) that the Mac version of Office is better than it's Windows version. Can't argue with the company that makes it.

And about PowerPoint sucking--why the hell do you think we have Keynote? It's because PowerPoint absolutely sucks (on both platforms).

To me it is a lot easier to use the Windows interface productively than the Mac interface. I don't loose windows at all in Windows, and It's much more user friendly, the mouse tracking is also better. No offence, but Rogabean, if you crash while doing torrents and realplayer, you just must fudge something up. This excuse that Windows BSODs and crashes every 5 seconds is fanboyism that is wearing old, because my Vista install is more stable than my used to be OS X 86 install.

Sad that I got complete system freezes in Windows while trying to fix it. Within thirty secons of it starting up. So then I reboot and it freezes again...in thirty seconds. Plus, you're comparing a Vista install to a patched (read INHERENTLY UNSTABLE) OS X86 install. Care to explain why you think an inherently unstable system should be on par with something that isn't?

Not to mention Windows is faster, and Adobe/Macromedia, have openly admitted this. I also don't like the Apple only options, Windows has more software out to choose from. As a PC user once always excited about Mac, (Liked them 5 good years before this project, could never afford one), I got to use it both on PowerPC (at the store), and osx86 at my house, and I was really disappointed. I was so glad to get Windows back, and I will never leave it again. I have been on both sides of this issue, and as a heavy PC user, I feel Windows is a better operating system.

Windows only feels faster because the system was designed to make individual keystrokes feel faster on the system. It's an illusion, a myth so to speak. So the Windows system "feels" faster. Also, just because there is more software to choose from doesn't mean it's good software. There's plenty of {censored} to choose from in Windows. There's also {censored} for Mac, to be fair, but there's a lot less {censored}.

Gee, Adobe supports the G3, G4, G5, makes their applications scream on those processors compared to Intel offerings, but they say "Windows is better"? Sounds like some major doubletalk from the makers of Adobe crapware, now doesnt it?

As for the final point, you just answered your own question. There are certain Windows apps you need to use and the opportunity cost of utilizing a Macintosh system is too great. So you have to use a Windows system, which is fine. You also made a value judgment on both OS's, which is also fine; you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else is. But don't go spreading around {censored} without getting a huge rebuttal.

Well, to me, expose is the OS X way of handling it's poor Window Management. Alt tab is just a convenience. It's not just the fact that iTunes is an audio jukebox, and Video playback it inconvienient, it's the repetitive nags to get pro labeled all over the application where the full binaries are right there on the hard drive. As far as Appleworks, whatever works for you fine, but Access has been corporately deployed. The Macintosh Business unit said they think the Mac version is better than the Windows version. The facts here are getting twisted, of course they would, as of course the Windows department wouldn't, that'd be suicidal. Either way, you can in fact still argue with the company that makes it, as they don't always know it's functionality beyond the code to the average user. And you certainly can't tell me it's better even when it's under emulation? I love how it used to be, oh Powerpoint for mac is great, Apple releases keynote, then suddenly Powerpoint sucks. If it weren't for Microsoft, Apple would have died in 97, from the monitary investment, to IE and Office. Keynote lacks many of the matured features that are included in Powerpoint, that's the opinion of many, that said, it still is a nice app. Sounds like you're doing something wrong if you get those kinds of problems. Even minimal Windows Maintenance could prevent that. I'm not even talking just about patched OS X 86, I know a few people who have regular macs, and who often get the BBOD, and Kernel Panics. Adobe was the one who said that Intel was superior. I am not spreading {censored}, the people of this forum are just closed minded fanboys. I reccomend Macs to a ton of people. For email and web/music and all, it's the way to go, and it's still a nice os, but for power users like myself, if I want to game or do digital media, I go windows, if I want a stable *nix system for serving, or stable secure productivity, I'll use linux. That leaves really nothing for OS X. No hard feelings, OK?

I wish we could just leave the whole Mac vs Windows thing at a personal preference / fulfills needs level. Mac OS is better at some things, weaker at others, and vice versa.

Neither one is "Better" in an absolute sense.

it's funny to read those comments and a bit sad.

poeple who installed osx un their hackintoshes and are using osx for the first time, write their experinces about learning osx, saying - learning is bad, boring and sucks... i don't know how to do this and that, though XP have it all and i KNOW how to do it.. . i think there are not so many users who used both OS's equally and know all the comparable features (neither do i).

each os have it's ups and downs and their strong places. like if i would like to do 3d stuff for reasonable price/performace i would use windows, but for everyday computer usage, like browsing (i don't use IE anyway), file/image managing (automator..), video & mp3's i would prefer osx etc.

osx and widows xp together makes a complete piece for me

i just switched to Apple earlier this year and I haven't looked back. Mac OS X is much easier to use, increases my productivity and it just makes a good computing experience. I love the fact that I don't need to run any protection in the background

it's funny to read those comments and a bit sad.

poeple who installed osx un their hackintoshes and are using osx for the first time, write their experinces about learning osx, saying - learning is bad, boring and sucks... i don't know how to do this and that, though XP have it all and i KNOW how to do it.. . i think there are not so many users who used both OS's equally and know all the comparable features (neither do i).

Agree. I frecuently hear people practically complaining that OS X doesn't work just like XP. People don't realize it's a different OS, with a different philosophy, focus and a different tradition,. Often this people have only used Windows on their entire life, so they can only conceive things the way MS does, like if that was the only way of thigh, when there is no actual reason to believe that.

If people want something that works just like XP just use that, but don't say Mac OS is bad because isn't like XP, that's ridiculous. If you are willing to try something different, really do it, it might be a bit hard at first but eventually you will see how things work on that OS and you will have the clear picture.

Agree. I frecuently hear people practically complaining that OS X doesn't work just like XP. People don't realize it's a different OS, with a different philosophy, focus and a different tradition,. Often this people have only used Windows on their entire life, so they can only conceive things the way MS does, like if that was the only way of thigh, when there is no actual reason to believe that.

If people want something that works just like XP just use that, but don't say Mac OS is bad because isn't like XP, that's ridiculous. If you are willing to try different, but ac way, really do it, it might be a bit hard at first but eventually you will see how things work on that OS and you will have the clear picture.

When I first started using a Mac I hated it. I could not figure out anything, since I was a power Windows user nothing on the Mac was easy. (This was OS 8 too) As OS 9 came out and I became a power Mac OS user too, I eventually tossed my Windows box (after many fruitless attempts at skinning it as a Mac) and bought my first PowerBook. A G3 Pismo... It was the best decision I have ever made. I still miss the Pismo.

There are huge systematic differences in Windows and Mac OS. Some people just work better with windows and the Mac OS seems counter-intuitive. For the rest, a little time to acclimate themselves and it's right there helping you get your work done.

Neither is better, they are just different.

I've worked with a little more than Windows my whole life. I've been on Linux, FreeBSD, and Unix for many years, since DOS days. If I can recompile a linux kernel, I'm certainly not to much of an idiot to use a mac for god sakes :D. To me, the OS is crippled without QE/CI, and I can't justify upgrading, when I may not stick to the OS, especially since I'm already limited with it. Tripple booting is not an answer, because, to be honest, booting into Windows, and forgetting about OS X is a whole lot easier. Same goes for booting into linux as opposed to OS X. You don't need to run protection, well, good for you. Personally the Safari crashes alone are enough to counter that, but do realize, as a long time BSD, Unix user, I could probably gain access to an OS X system, if I had enough info. I wouldn't dare ever hack someone, but OS X is not perfectly secure. On to OS X. I've used it since PearPC was invented. I built a few customized builds of Pear PC for my specific processor and whatnot. Then when 10.4.1 install DVD was released, I grabbed a copy. I REALLY DO LOVE MACS AND THE MAC EXPERIENCE. I would love to be able to use aqua (besides finder and it's few quirks), as my MAIN AND ONLY OS. If I got QE/CI working on here, maybe, if I could get an app for everything I need, I would ditch Windows and Mac OS X. I am really frustrated with the cost/activiation, all that of Microsoft, and would switch if the Macvidia drivers supported a PCI 5500FX for QE/CI (I need an overhaul, but can't justify the cost right now). So, thanks for listening. Mactelman

That's funny. Now we've got poor martyr Apple users saying "OS X is a personal preference. If you dont like it, dont use it. But dont say it's bad".

Did these people ever refrain from saying OS X was better than Windows? Or that Windows was bad?

:)

OSX can be a pain in the ass. XP is more practical and has more features.

I don't know if OSX can be a pain in the ass more than Windows ITSELF

OSX is faster, Windows, man only in the first boot

Windows, sux, bugs, virus...

The same things that WIndows and OSX have in common is EXPENSIVE

I don't know if OSX can be a pain in the ass more than Windows ITSELF

OSX is faster, Windows, man only in the first boot

Windows, sux, bugs, virus...

The same things that WIndows and OSX have in common is EXPENSIVE

Well, to be honest, with safe browsing, I've never had any trouble with viruses. Windows to me just seems to run faster, and with the right non hogging software installed, it runs well. I do agree OS X is overall probably better, just too hard to migrate and adjust to for me unfortunately. If I hated it, I wouldn't have been here trying to get it to work in the first place.

Well, to me, expose is the OS X way of handling it's poor Window Management. Alt tab is just a convenience.

I'm one of the very few people that don't like Expose. I'd much rather have a tabbed Finder as opposed to Expose.

I use a preference pane called Witch that allows me to do more than alt-tab ever could.

As far as Appleworks, whatever works for you fine, but Access has been corporately deployed.

It works for me and I don't have to fight with an IT department that thinks Microsoft is great and everything else sucks. But then again, we're getting back into "Real Life IT Horror Stories" (I feel a spinoff thread).

I love how it used to be, oh Powerpoint for mac is great, Apple releases keynote, then suddenly Powerpoint sucks. If it weren't for Microsoft, Apple would have died in 97, from the monitary investment, to IE and Office. Keynote lacks many of the matured features that are included in Powerpoint, that's the opinion of many, that said, it still is a nice app.

I disliked Keynote 1 and thought it was horribly buggy (the same way people are saying Aperture v1 is horribly buggy). I waited until v2 (and after waiting for its release, I read a ton of reviews) and now, I can't understand why I liked PowerPoint. Keynote to me feels a lot smoother than PowerPoint and its effects make PowerPoint's look cheesy (especially the spinning cube).

Sounds like you're doing something wrong if you get those kinds of problems. Even minimal Windows Maintenance could prevent that.

Actually, this one wasn't me. It was a friend's system that just crapped itself for multiple reasons. It's still in the process of getting fixed.

I'm not even talking just about patched OS X 86, I know a few people who have regular macs, and who often get the BBOD, and Kernel Panics.

Sounds like they did something wrong if they're getting those kinds of problems. Even minimal Mac maintenance could prevent that (but not 100% of the BBOD's, as every system has its slowdown and speed up moments)

I am not spreading {censored}, the people of this forum are just closed minded fanboys.

You know, EVERYTHING you ever said and ANY once of credibility just got shattered by resorting to petty name calling.

I reccomend Macs to a ton of people. For email and web/music and all, it's the way to go, and it's still a nice os, but for power users like myself, if I want to game or do digital media, I go windows, if I want a stable *nix system for serving, or stable secure productivity, I'll use linux. That leaves really nothing for OS X. No hard feelings, OK?

No hard feelings at all, except for the petty name calling. It's like I said, there are advantages and disadvantages to every system.

Like everyone else has said, Windows and Mac OS X are just different. Personally, I believe that the Operating System functions differently for each individual user. People that work a lot and work fast need an operating system that is transparent; an OS that lets you do your work without interfering. Other people like to sit back, relax and enjoy the experience of using the workflow set up by the operating system. I like to relax, so I like OSX. Yes, I know, without QE and CI, its sluggish, but the experience of learning all of the different features and the smoothness of them on a real mac is just mind boggling. Windows doesn't have cool features like Exposé. To me, Exposé = Windows Taskbar. Maybe I'm just weird, but thats the way I think.

Workaholics use XP.

Relax0rs use Mac OS X. (and anyone that does ANYTHING with multimedia...)

So glad I started this discussion.

Its sad none of you apple fanatics have to defend every inch of OSX and can't admit a single fault. The farthest down any of you are willing to go is to say, "OSX is better in some areas but not others."

why is that supposed to be a laugh ? the osx gui is one of the worse i have used since amiga workbench 1.3

it inst customizable at all and it is tailored to a total hopeless retard level

it's a shame that a nice unix bsd os is totally wasted with such retarded gui . I know that this sounds like a troll but for me osx gui just plain sucks. Xp can be considered bad but can be customized to suit everyone needs. it ranges from a braindead fisher price look to the old usable windows 2000 classic theme

I don't understand. . .Just because OSX is well-organized and easy to use doesn't mean it's "retard level"!

I would reserve the phrase "retard level" for things like talking paperclips, puppydogs who help you search your hard drive, etc- all of which are included in XP!!! Not to mention all the frickin' "Wizards" to "guide you through setup"! WTF!!! It's insulting using XP and it's GARISH with all the Fisher-Price Colors and oversized buttons. Just because XP so disorganized that you have to check your network settings in like 5 different places rather than in one panel DOESN'T mean it's more capable, just unnecessarily complicated!

There are NO PUPPYDOGS in OSX!!!