Disabling suspend on laptop lid close

larrybird

29 posts in this topic

With ACPI enabled at boot, my laptop (Dell 5100) goes into sleep/suspend mode whenever I close the lid. Is there a way to disable this? I checked in the BIOS and there are no options. It must be configured inside of OS X. I searched and couldn't find anything about this, though I believe I have read about other users encoutering the same problem.

With ACPI enabled at boot, my laptop (Dell 5100) goes into sleep/suspend mode whenever I close the lid.  Is there a way to disable this?  I checked in the BIOS and there are no options.  It must be configured inside of OS X.  I searched and couldn't find anything about this, though I believe I have read about other users encoutering the same problem.

count me in ..... i have no idea on what to do

:mellow:

My Dell Inspiron 8600 WON'T go into sleep/suspend mode when I close the lid...I want it to enter sleep mode..but it won't. Looks like you guys are trying to do the reverse. How did you enable sleep mode for the laptop?

That's the thing, I DIDN'T enable the sleep option. If I had, I would simply turn it off. On your I8600, are you booting with ACPI enabled, X86PC, or no boot parameters? If I boot without ACPI and use X86PC, the system does nothing when I close the lid.

I could not find any option for this under the Energy Saving panel in System Preferences.

That's the thing, I DIDN'T enable the sleep option.  If I had, I would simply turn it off.  On your I8600, are you booting with ACPI enabled, X86PC, or no boot parameters?  If I boot without ACPI and use X86PC, the system does nothing when I close the lid.

I could not find any option for this under the Energy Saving panel in System Preferences.

I have a toshiba laptop, it "sleeps" but really doesn't the screen doesn't turn off, all it does is stop what its doing and having the fan on like crazy. Maybe just me but the whole function of sleeping with the lid closing is all new since the dev systems dont have a lid to close.

I have a toshiba laptop, it "sleeps" but really doesn't the screen doesn't turn off, all it does is stop what its doing and having the fan on like crazy.  Maybe just me but the whole function of sleeping with the lid closing is all new since the dev systems dont have  a lid to close.

I believe the screen turns off on mine, but I may be mistaken. What it does is stop playing whatever is on iTunes and signs me off of iChat. Actually, I'm pretty sure the screen is turned off because when I open the lid it is off.

Eventhough it is a dev release, it should have the same coding that allows PPC laptops to sleep. Isn't it pretty much a straight port of 10.4.2?

I believe the screen turns off on mine, but I may be mistaken.  What it does is stop playing whatever is on iTunes and signs me off of iChat.  Actually, I'm pretty sure the screen is turned off because when I open the lid it is off.

Eventhough it is a dev release, it should have the same coding that allows PPC laptops to sleep.  Isn't it pretty much a straight port of 10.4.2?

Mine "sleeps" by shutting off the hard drive and wifi and fans, but the screen still stays on. also the power light stays lit. in windows and linux it slowly blinks. HP/Compaq NX9010 here.

Mine "sleeps" by shutting off the hard drive and wifi and fans, but the screen still stays on. also the power light stays lit. in windows and linux it slowly blinks. HP/Compaq NX9010 here.

Same here. I booted with platform=ACPI. There's a switch to sense if the lid is closed, and I pressed it to put the laptop to sleep mode. All it did was turn off the HD, lost the mouse pointer, but it didn't shut down my LCD. Hopefully there'll be a fix for this because it'll drain my battery too fast.

Same problem with screen lit when I go to sleep mode using HP Pavillion 3000 (Intel 855PM Chipset). It seems to only turn off my HD.

When I need to use my powerbook with the screen closed I follow these steps:

1. Close the powerbook and it go to sleep;

2. Connect my Monitor, USB mouse and keyboard;

3. Press a key at the USB keyboard and the notebook awakes and is ready for be used;

Please try that.

Ok, I've found a method. This has proven to be one aspect of OS X and Apple that I find a bit stupid. I don't understand why there isn't an option in Energy Saver to disable sleep on lid close like there is in XP and with Linux. I've read that only the Power Books have this option because they are designed to run with external monitors, where iBooks by default suspend (which Apple claims is because of heat issues). I've never used an iBook before, but I find it hard to believe that it could generate so much heat that it poses a risk to the system or screen. Personally, I think a P4 in a laptop can fry an egg faster than a G4 can.

Don't worry, I'm done with my diatribe. I do have a solution. I found a program called Sleepless. You can download it here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

Let me know if it works for you; it's working for me.

Ok, I've found a method.  This has proven to be one aspect of OS X and Apple that I find a bit stupid.  I don't understand why there isn't an option in Energy Saver to disable  sleep on lid close like there is in XP and with Linux.  I've read that only the Power Books have this option because they are designed to run with external monitors, where iBooks by default suspend (which Apple claims is because of heat issues).  I've never used an iBook before, but I find it hard to believe that it could generate so much heat that it poses a risk to the system or screen.  Personally, I think a P4 in a laptop can fry an egg faster than a G4 can.

Don't worry, I'm done with my diatribe.  I do have a solution.  I found a program called Sleepless.  You can download it here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

Let me know if it works for you; it's working for me.

Actually, this might not work at all on my laptop. I played a song in iTunes and then closed the lid and the song paused. The screen as powered off (dead black). I checked from another computer and I was signed off of iChat. So, apparently this program doesn't work. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you though.

Actually, this might not work at all on my laptop.  I played a song in iTunes and then closed the lid and the song paused.  The screen as powered off (dead black).  I checked from another computer and I was signed off of iChat.  So, apparently this program doesn't work.  Give it a try and let me know if it works for you though.

Is there a utility to enter sleep mode (ie blank out my LCD screen)?

I tried messing with all the settings and doing what was suggested in other forums, but I could not get it to work at all. I heard that previous versions worked, but I couldn't find any of them online. So far this program appears to be a waste of time.

I have a screen blanker key on my notebook that turns of the screen. Don't know if other notebooks have that, too. I had the same problem that the notebook would sleep, but not wake up, with the Intel 830 drivers installed. Since they wouldn't accept my external monitor (hang at boot if connected), I moved them out, and now I have the opposite problem. But since I have this screen blanker key, I just press it before closing the lid, so I can live with it.

aparently Release 1 will solve your prob. with the develop disk the prob was fixed, somewhat. it goes to sleep in the sense that you can close the lid and the cursor disapears and you can open it fine. but it still dosnt solve the prob of why the processor fan does not turn off. the air cools slightly but you can still feel heat from the vent.im thinking either the processor or the HDD are still pretty active. its nothing like XP hibernation. hope it helps.

aparently Release 1 will solve your prob. with the develop disk the prob was fixed, somewhat. it goes to sleep in the sense that you can close the lid and the cursor disapears and you can open it fine. but  it still dosnt solve the prob of why the processor fan does not turn off.  the air cools slightly but you can still feel heat from the vent.im thinking either the processor or the HDD are still pretty active. its nothing like XP hibernation. hope it helps.

What do you mean Release 1? Do you mean when OS x86 is publicly released for the first time or is Release 1 something else? And isn't the Developer Disk what the Deadmoo VMWare image was made from? I'm sorry, but I didn't follow exactly what you meant. Is this something that has already been fixed and that we as a community have access to or is this an issue that has been fixed for anyone with legitimate access to the Developer Disk and hardware? Thanks!

What do you mean Release 1?  Do you mean when OS x86 is publicly released for the first time or is Release 1 something else?  And isn't the Developer Disk what the Deadmoo VMWare image was made from?  I'm sorry, but I didn't follow exactly what you meant.  Is this something that has already been fixed and that we as a community have access to or is this an issue that has been fixed for anyone with legitimate access to the Developer Disk and hardware?  Thanks!

He meant the Release 1 patched DVD version of Osx86. Basically it's a DVD to install OSx86 on a developer's kit (not deadmoo's image)..and Release 1 patches the security functions to allow installation on a generic x86 pc.

He meant the Release 1 patched DVD version of Osx86. Basically it's a DVD to install OSx86 on a developer's kit (not deadmoo's image)..and Release 1 patches the security functions to allow installation on a generic x86 pc.

Ooooh ok. So, if possible, is Release 1 the best way to go about installing? It offers features that Deadmoo's install does not? Does it lack anything that Deadmoo's has? If not, then I see no reason to continue using Deadmoo's image. Thanks.

Ooooh ok.  So, if possible, is Release 1 the best way to go about installing?  It offers features that Deadmoo's install does not?  Does it lack anything that Deadmoo's has?  If not, then I see no reason to continue using Deadmoo's image.  Thanks.

I'll be installing Release 1 because I want to use more than the 6GB of space that came with deadmoo. Repartitioning deadmoo's image to 10GB will take too much work for me, so I'd rather just get a release 1 generic DVD and install on a new partition.