Asus P5KPL-CM Snow Leopard hangs at gray screen

wcr3d

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could assist. I don't normally ask for help. I just read and research. I haven't had a problem with kalyway or ideneb, besides getting dual monitors and the ability to adjust resolution plus a system clock issue but thats another subject. I have used -v and it seems to load the bootloader ok, that ends and the gray screen for the gui section comes up, this is where it hangs. I am thinking I am missing a kext or two, not sure.

My specs,

Asus P5KPL-CM

E5300@2.6ghz

4gb Kingston RAM

ATI HD4830 512mb

2x 320 SATA hdd's ((First holding Vista and Ubuntu, the second solely for OSX), I have grub working fine so I disconnect it when attempting installs)

Sound is onboard which I have the kexts for

Ethernet is onboard (Atheros, also have kexts that work)

I have tried numerous guides, ranging from kernel panics to this. I got this far adding kexts to chameleon, some I thought were unneeded but have seemed to make it progress further.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi wcr3d.

I initially had issues trying to install Snow Leopard with a p5kpl-cm motherboard. But I eventually managed to install onto my computer without DSDT, and using a boot-132 disc.

There are a few bios settings that you have to have right - mainly with ACPI. ACPI must be switched on, and there was one other setting about acpi that should be turned off? Im not quite sure.

Im trying to find the iso I downloaded to get an installation to happen on my computer with p5kpl-cm.

Hi wcr3d.

I initially had issues trying to install Snow Leopard with a p5kpl-cm motherboard. But I eventually managed to install onto my computer without DSDT, and using a boot-132 disc.

There are a few bios settings that you have to have right - mainly with ACPI. ACPI must be switched on, and there was one other setting about acpi that should be turned off? Im not quite sure.

Im trying to find the iso I downloaded to get an installation to happen on my computer with p5kpl-cm.

Hello,

I would appreciate it very much.I know I have acpi on (S3) but its all on, so the one on that should be off could be it, plus it sure wouldn't hurt using the same boot-132 you did.

Thank you very much!

I have the P5KPL-VM board running SL successfully and I'm about to install it onto my son's CM board later today. Here's how I did it:

I booted into my existing Leo install and using the procedures all around here installed SL to a second hard drive, namely a 16GB USB stick. I installed Chameleon RC3 to that stick, then in my extras folder, I shoved in my kexts, added my dsdt.aml file, and moved over my com.apple.Boot.plist.

With that I was able to boot from the USB stick and into SL, after that, I formatted my real HD, and installed SL to it using the same methods above, prepped that drive with Chameleon, installed my kexts, rebooted and yanked out my USB drive. Everything worked like a champ and I let Time Machine restore all my apps and settings. With a SATA time machine drive, the whole process took around two hours.

Here is my Extras directory, obviously you'll want to edit the dsdt and Boot.plist file to your rig:

PM me if you have any issues, maybe I can help.

ASUS_P5KPL_VM.tar.gz

Thank you very much!

I did almost the same as you, minus the second hdd. I have gotten much closer though, almost the same method.

I used the same drive and made another partition on it, instead of using the flash drive, I used that partition, it made it all the way through the install and failed right at the reboot. Saying it couldn't "bless" the drive. It wouldn't let me manually do it either. So first I am going to try removing that drive and blessing it via my macbook pro. If that doesn't work I am going to give your method a shot. Thank you again and I'll keep watching this thread.

I blessed the drive manually using the Chameleon RC3 binaries. I didn't use the installer.

What was the commands?

I hooked the drive up to my macbook pro and it booted fine. Did all the welcome stuff, did a repair disk and then tried doing a bless via terminal but it said volume not found. So I put it back in the pc and I still get boot0 error.

I have the Chameleon RC3 binaries on my desktop, and my disk was listed as disk0 in diskutil list:

Gossamer:~ grendel$ cd Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386/

Gossamer:i386 grendel$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

sudo cp boot /

• 3 weeks later...
I have the Chameleon RC3 binaries on my desktop, and my disk was listed as disk0 in diskutil list:

Gossamer:~ grendel$ cd Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386/

Gossamer:i386 grendel$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

sudo cp boot /

Hey Grendel, did you get either onboard audio or graphics working with your kexts?

edit: nm, I copied your Voodoo and IOAudio kexts and it's now working. I had done so already but was confused because it reported no audio (so I didn't check)

I'm still curious about the onboard graphics though.

• 1 year later...
Hey Grendel, did you get either onboard audio or graphics working with your kexts?

edit: nm, I copied your Voodoo and IOAudio kexts and it's now working. I had done so already but was confused because it reported no audio (so I didn't check)

I'm still curious about the onboard graphics though.

I am reviving this topic :( I have followed Grendel 's guide, but didn't get sound to work

I have an ASUS P5KPL-VM

10.6 DVD -> usb stick

Then Chameleon RC4 and I copied the Extra folder into the root of my osx HD

everything works like a charm, except sound... what am i doing wrong ?