GA-P35C-DS3R - 100% Vanilla Snow Leopard Install

flyguyjake

34 posts in this topic

Folks it's time to go play in the SNOW!!!

GA-P35C-DS3R - Confirmed working 100%!!!

That's right... Time Machine, Ethernet, Audio, Video, Bonjour!!!

Chameleon & Snow Leopard on their own partitons!!!

Future upgrades will be a breeze since you will not be modifying your SL install in any way!

SL remains 100% Vanilla, Untouched, Virgin!!!

Jump on over to Blackosx's post HERE and get your copy of the BootCD & the newest Chameleon RC3 boot.

Retail DVD not included!!! Support Apple & buy a REAL copy!!!

You will find everything (less the retail dvd) that you need in Blackosx's support files.

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!! :D

GA-P35C-DS3R - Confirmed working 100%!!!

That's right... Time Machine, Ethernet, Audio, Video, Bonjour!!!

Chameleon & Snow Leopard on their own partitons!!!

Future upgrades will be a breeze since you will not be modifying your SL install in any way!

SL remains 100% Vanilla, Untouched, Virgin!!!

Jump on over to Blackosx's post HERE and get your copy of the BootCD & the newest Chameleon RC3 boot.

Retail DVD not included!!! Support Apple & buy a REAL copy!!!

You will find everything (less the retail dvd) that you need in Blackosx's support files.

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!! :D

Can you give me a few more details ?

any change on the tuto ?

any special file for your mobo GA-P35C-DS3R ?

thanks !!

Can you give me a few more details ?

any change on the tuto ?

any special file for your mobo GA-P35C-DS3R ?

thanks !!

All you need is the bootcd & the new RC3 Chameleon boot

All other kext and files you will find at the blackosx post.

I'm simply informing fellow GA-P35C-DS3R mobo owners that it's snow time!

All other kext and files you will find at the blackosx post.

I'm simply informing fellow GA-P35C-DS3R mobo owners that it's snow time!

Sounds great. I'll try that on my machine which is very close to yours (except the graphics card). On Leo, I could not get eithernet to work no matter what I did.

Yes, I've had little trouble installing SL on this mobo too. Leo was trouble free too.

I posted this though in another thread, so at the risk of being flamed for repetition, I'll try here also!

I've used blackosx excellent guide and done a successful install of SL from within my Leopard install.

However, I seem to have some permission issues, so I thought I would reinstall using the new BootCD 1.01 method.

This is where my problem lies - I just cannot get the CD to boot!

I download the ISO file, right click and select 'Burn to disc'. Everything completes OK, but it will not boot.

I have had this problem in the past with this type of BootCD.

Am I missing something obvious?

Yes, I've had little trouble installing SL on this mobo too. Leo was trouble free too.

I posted this though in another thread, so at the risk of being flamed for repetition, I'll try here also!

I've used blackosx excellent guide and done a successful install of SL from within my Leopard install.

However, I seem to have some permission issues, so I thought I would reinstall using the new BootCD 1.01 method.

This is where my problem lies - I just cannot get the CD to boot!

I download the ISO file, right click and select 'Burn to disc'. Everything completes OK, but it will not boot.

I have had this problem in the past with this type of BootCD.

Am I missing something obvious?

Maybe the settings in bios?

Maybe the settings in bios?

It could be that. However, I set them to the same values as per blackosx's guide. I know he used a different mobo (EP45-DS3L) but still.

Can anyone who got the BooCD to boot on the P35C-DS3R post their BIOS settings?

Thanks.

It could be that. However, I set them to the same values as per blackosx's guide. I know he used a different mobo (EP45-DS3L) but still.

Can anyone who got the BooCD to boot on the P35C-DS3R post their BIOS settings?

Thanks.

No problem!

Here are shots of each of the bios screens

2rqzng4.jpg

30mpwty.jpg

2pzk9vk.jpg

vhdmpe.jpg

2ywd84m.jpg

21o6d68.jpg

28lt62u.jpg

2a12k4.jpg

15nk595.jpg

Update: Just updated to F12 BIOS, and the BootCD works now!

Further update: I don't think it was the BIOS that did it. What makes the difference is changing 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to AHCI. If I have it set to IDE, then the BootCD doesn't work. If I have it set to AHCI then it does! Go figure....

Problem is that my Windows 7 won't boot (BSOD) with the above set to AHCI!!!! What to do?

Update: Just updated to F12 BIOS, and the BootCD works now!

Further update: I don't think it was the BIOS that did it. What makes the difference is changing 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to AHCI. If I have it set to IDE, then the BootCD doesn't work. If I have it set to AHCI then it does! Go figure....

Problem is that my Windows 7 won't boot (BSOD) with the above set to AHCI!!!! What to do?

To enable AHCI in Windows 7 after it has been installed without AHCI, follow the steps here (to me it worked by just downloading the ahci.reg file from the same webpage and executing it):

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ah...r-installation/

Hope this helps.

To enable AHCI in Windows 7 after it has been installed without AHCI, follow the steps here (to me it worked by just downloading the ahci.reg file from the same webpage and executing it):

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ah...r-installation/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, but that is not the issue. See screenshot 6 above 'Integrated Peripherals'. I have the same settings, i.e. HDDs work in AHCI. It's the setting further down under 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode'. If I have it set to IDE, then the BootCD doesn't work. If I have it set to AHCI then it does, but Windows doesn't. It seems to recognise my DVD drives as AHCI when that flag is set.

BlackOsx's guide and support are excellent. However I found the LifeHacker method (see link in sig) to be faster and easier. It's one disadvantage may be no separate partition for Chameleon. But I had Ethernet and Sound "OOB".

Remaining problems are no recognition of my IDE drive and no driver for my wifi card (both work in 10.5.8).

Thanks for that, but that is not the issue. See screenshot 6 above 'Integrated Peripherals'. I have the same settings, i.e. HDDs work in AHCI. It's the setting further down under 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode'. If I have it set to IDE, then the BootCD doesn't work. If I have it set to AHCI then it does, but Windows doesn't. It seems to recognise my DVD drives as AHCI when that flag is set.

So Windows works with only the first controller in AHCI mode but the second one in IDE mode... that's intriguing. Have you tried installing the motherboard drivers (including SATA) in Windows and then switching the second controller to AHCI?

Also, if your problem with the second controller only happens for BootCD, have you tried installing Snow leopard with the second controller in AHCI and later switching it back to IDE? This setup works for me in both Windows 7 and SL (first controller in AHCI, native mode enabled and second controller in IDE mode).

EDIT: Try enabling "Sata Port 0-3 Native Mode" and see if it works.

So Windows works with only the first controller in AHCI mode but the second one in IDE mode... that's intriguing. Have you tried installing the motherboard drivers (including SATA) in Windows and then switching the second controller to AHCI?

Also, if your problem with the second controller only happens for BootCD, have you tried installing Snow leopard with the second controller in AHCI and later switching it back to IDE? This setup works for me in both Windows 7 and SL (first controller in AHCI, native mode enabled and second controller in IDE mode).

EDIT: Try enabling "Sata Port 0-3 Native Mode" and see if it works.

Thanks again.

My setup is the same as yours, i.e. 1st controller AHCI, native mode enabled and 2nd controller in IDE. The only thing that doesn't work with that configuration is the SL BootCD.

Switching the 2nd controller to AHCI, BootCD and SL both work, but windows doesn't.

I'll try your suggestions for installing the MB SATA drivers though and see what happens.

Update: I installed the Gigabyte drivers and everything now works! Thanks a lot. Obviously the Intel controller is installed as part of the system, but the GB ones have to be done separately.

• 3 weeks later...

i was not able to create a dsdt file could please somebody help me

do i really need it? is there a way to create one using windows (i destroyed my leopard install and dont want to reinstall it)

And if no, is it possible that i can use the one of anybody else. And if yes which information do you need to see if this file fit to my hardware.

Sorry for all the questions and the bad english. I it is very difficult to find support in german for this board. I hope you can help me.

i was not able to create a dsdt file could please somebody help me

do i really need it? is there a way to create one using windows (i destroyed my leopard install and dont want to reinstall it)

And if no, is it possible that i can use the one of anybody else. And if yes which information do you need to see if this file fit to my hardware.

Sorry for all the questions and the bad english. I it is very difficult to find support in german for this board. I hope you can help me.

here you go

http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48

it will automatically generate your dsdt file.

Hi, flyguyjake :P

I am with the same Motherboard. P35C-DS3R.

I have Radeon HD4850 wich I think that is not supported in Snow Leopard :)

Can you make attachment with a copy of your /Extra folder files (DSDT.aml, etc.)

Thanks in advance :P

Sorry for the late reply... Do you still need this?

• 1 month later...
Sorry for the late reply... Do you still need this?

I would. Also if possible I'd like to install via mbr. I already have the OSinstall.mpkg copied over to the USB install, but i think i have wrong dsdt or something, because it won't boot the partitioner. I get some partitioner-error thats gone really fast, then the apple with little loading circle, then grey blank screen. any help would be appreciated.

I would. Also if possible I'd like to install via mbr. I already have the OSinstall.mpkg copied over to the USB install, but i think i have wrong dsdt or something, because it won't boot the partitioner. I get some partitioner-error thats gone really fast, then the apple with little loading circle, then grey blank screen. any help would be appreciated.

You definitely don't want to use the OSinstall.mpkg method, that is by far outdated. Hop over to Blackosx guide and follow with the boot cd, or make your own with the bootcd maker. His board is similar enough to ours that everything works fine.

I'm not familiar with installing on MBR since I followed Blackosx guide which uses GUID & 2 separate partitions. This really is the best method to date as it keeps the Snow Leopard install completely Vanilla which is what you need in order to use Software update. If you go replacing files in S/L/E then you risk getting a KP after a software update or a hosed system where you cannot figure out what went wrong and or which kext is not compatible.

Hope this helps.