nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Yes, I've disabled it in safe mode though. I can't get regular mode to work (with or without -f)

I don't understand how everything can function fully (except internet) in safe mode.. but it will immediately freeze when I boot without safemode. Sometimes I can open terminal or something and then it'll freeze. Other times I can't even get past the blue screen after boot

I deleted nvenabler 64 (since this doesn't load in safe mode) but still have the same problems

I'm sure its sth with that two graphics cards then but i cannot help u i already tried to help an other guy the enable dual gfx cards on an nforce MB but i failed with efi strings so no idea. With one gfx cards it will work 100% but since u need both.

THIS MAY NOT WORK ON MOTHERBOARDS WITH NVIDIA CHIPSETS!

Read more: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...9#ixzz1L27yKb00

If anyone got dual or more gfx card working on nforce MB:

pls post method and proof.

For some reason, it randomly started working.

Was stable for about 10 minutes, then froze up.

I relaxed my overclocking and it seems to be a bit more stable.

I'll have to test it, but so far so good.

Thanks again everyone.

Edit: removed a card. Same problem. Freezes at random now though.

For some reason, it randomly started working.

Was stable for about 10 minutes, then froze up.

I relaxed my overclocking and it seems to be a bit more stable.

I'll have to test it, but so far so good.

Thanks again everyone.

Hope it remains stable for you...... :)

I decided to remove a card like everyone suggested . Freezes at random still. Sbbod.

Try booting with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048.........if system remains stable, then try:

1) Dropping RAM speed a little if BIOS allows you to do that

2) Different 32bit mode AppleNForceATA.kexts to see which one works best for you when booting normally, e.g. Part K Item 4. kext compiled by aryajuanda....

3) Additional cooling of Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets......see here

etc. as I suspect you could be getting Northbridge and/or Southbridge chipset bus data transfer timing problems.......

so i used cpus=1 and maxmem=2048

been stable for over 50 minutes. longest yet by far.

I kept the cpu and ram overclocked though. CPU FSB is at 1708 mhz and RAM is linked to that. so it's at roughly 1000 mhz.. however.. SL says the ram is at 800 mhz.

should i unlink the RAM and set it to 800 so that it matches what SL sees?

edit: so i've set the ram to 800 mhz.

everything works flawlesly with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048

does not work without those flags though.

so i left out maxmem=2048 and just used cpus=1 this time.

it is completely fine. i'm typing to you on it now.

took FSB speed back to default (1333 mhz)

no change. still freezes.

used modified nforceATA kext from part K and got kernel panic.

nforceATA_ANV.kext works best for me. detects as MCP 55.

so to sum it up, can use all 4 GB of ram. can't use more than one CPU. (have to set cpus=1 in order to get the OS to be stable)

so i used cpus=1 and maxmem=2048

been stable for over 50 minutes. longest yet by far.

I kept the cpu and ram overclocked though. CPU FSB is at 1708 mhz and RAM is linked to that. so it's at roughly 1000 mhz.. however.. SL says the ram is at 800 mhz.

should i unlink the RAM and set it to 800 so that it matches what SL sees?

edit: so i've set the ram to 800 mhz.

everything works flawlesly with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048

does not work without those flags though.

so i left out maxmem=2048 and just used cpus=1 this time.

it is completely fine. i'm typing to you on it now.

took FSB speed back to default (1333 mhz)

no change. still freezes.

used modified nforceATA kext from part K and got kernel panic.

nforceATA_ANV.kext works best for me. detects as MCP 55.

so to sum it up, can use all 4 GB of ram. can't use more than one CPU. (have to set cpus=1 in order to get the OS to be stable)

What is your CPU?

Although with RC5 you should not have to remove CPU aliases from your DSDT.aml if present, it is worth checking if your DSDT.aml file has an entry similar to:

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Alias (P001, CPU1)

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P002, CPU2)

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P003, CPU3)

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P004, CPU4)

instead of

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

in which case, your system may possibly benefit from deleting the Alias lines......although there is the possibility that removing the aliases may break native CPU power management if the SSDT section (if present in your DSDT) references the CPU aliases......

DSDT.aml.txtI'm actually using RC4 because i read that RC5 doesn't have graphics injection?

Maybe I should update to RC5.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300.

I do not see any Alias lines in the DSDT however.

edit: I don't like RC5 very much. I'm using RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.9

i've attached the DSDT.aml file if you'd like to take a look

i've renamed it to DSDT.aml.txt to allow for upload

DSDT.aml.txtI'm actually using RC4 because i read that RC5 doesn't have graphics injection?

Maybe I should update to RC5.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300.

I do not see any Alias lines in the DSDT however.

edit: I don't like RC5 very much. I'm using RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.9

i've attached the DSDT.aml file if you'd like to take a look

i've renamed it to DSDT.aml.txt to allow for upload

The text file is not easy to read.......best to upload a zipped DSDT.aml file.....

RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.9 is a good bootloader

Okay, here is the zipped DSDT.aml

Just to recap, I can use all 4GB of ram and all 4 CPU cores in safe mode

Can use all 4GB of ram but only one CPU core without safe mode (or with -f)

the only thing I can think is that I generated and patched that DSDT using SL most likely in safe mode (since that's all I could get running)

Should I have done it another way?

DSDT.aml.zip

At first, I didn't read the part about not using NullCpuPowerManagement. So it didn't work.

But, I've deleted those kexts from both /E/E and /S/L/E..

and it works.

I'm testing now with yes > /dev/null to load up the cpus.

Stable so far.

Thank you SO much. You have no idea how grateful I am.

I owe you a beer :)

edit: so like 4 hours in it froze and i had to reboot.

now it seems like it's getting less and less stable each time i reboot. doesn't make any sense.

seems to usually crash when i'm in a browser like safari or chrome.

So i'm just writing this to say that everything is back to the way it was. With 4 cores, it freezes right after bootup. I've tried dsdt.aml in /e/ and also just in the root of the os drive. The weird thing is I was doing a full ram and cpu stress test on all 4 cores when it would let me boot to them.. and it was totally fine for an hour. As soon as I stopped and resumed normal activities... it froze up. Also, sorry for replying to my reply.. i'm on my phone and it doesn't like the edit function too much.

1. Remove 2nd GFX card until OS X is installed and running OK then see here

2. Connect display cable connector to GFX card (in primary GFX slot) port closest to MOBO first but if the display gets no signal try the other port on the GFX card

3. Disconnect SATA DVDRW until installation is complete

4. Ensure that PATA DVDRW is jumper-set and connected as Master to the MOBO using a 80-wire IDE cable

5. Ensure that in your BIOS you have set

RAID Enable [Enabled]

SATA 0 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 0 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 1 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 1 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 2 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 2 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

because you MUST have RAID Enable set to [Enabled], so that you can enable or disable the SATA functions. This because WHEN you set RAID Enable to [Disabled], all SATA functions are changed to Disabled and cannot be changed, yet you want to set Serial-ATA Controller [All Enabled]......

What *ATA.kext(s) have you got in /Extra/Extensions and/or /S/L/E?

What are your SATA and IDE BIOS settings currently?

Hi Verdant,

I managed (finally) to get it to recognise my sata drives, I added the AHCIPortInjector kext into the extensions folder and put my sata controllers device and vendor id in the plist file and bang it instantly recognised!!

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, and to let you know that all is working expect having some problems with wireless in that safari works on the apple site but crashes on any other, but i'm not sure if its a wireless issue as I managed to install updates using it any ideas??

Hi Verdant,

I managed (finally) to get it to recognise my sata drives, I added the AHCIPortInjector kext into the extensions folder and put my sata controllers device and vendor id in the plist file and bang it instantly recognised!!

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, and to let you know that all is working expect having some problems with wireless in that safari works on the apple site but crashes on any other, but i'm not sure if its a wireless issue as I managed to install updates using it any ideas??

Glad to help.......well done for figuring out how to get your SATA HDD recognised by using AHCIPortInjector kext and putting the controller chipset Device and Vendor ID in the Info.plist file of the AHCIPortInjector kext......I assume you have put the AHCIPortInjector kext in /E/E/....:(

Have you checked your system log and crash log via Console in Utilities to look for Safari related error messages.........also try repairing permissions using Disk Utility......also try deleting and re-installing Safari........and running the standalone Combo Update .dmg installer in Safe Mode for the OS X SL system version you are currently running........

Glad to help.......well done for figuring out how to get your SATA HDD recognised by using AHCIPortInjector kext and putting the controller chipset Device and Vendor ID in the Info.plist file of the AHCIPortInjector kext......I assume you have put the AHCIPortInjector kext in /E/E/....:blink:

Have you checked your system log and crash log via Console in Utilities to look for Safari related error messages.........also try repairing permissions using Disk Utility......also try deleting and re-installing Safari........and running the standalone Combo Update .dmg installer in Safe Mode for the OS X SL system version you are currently running........

Yeah I put it in /E/E and I think also in /S/L/E just to be safe... after this the installation worked like a treat, wireless works, graphics work, sound works all upgraded to 10.6.7.

With regards the safari issue, i've tried repair permissions, deleting and re-installing safari - still crashes, I haven't tried doing the combo update in safe mode....

... I have attached the console log showing its status when it crashes (at the bottom), it points to webkitplugin but I have no idea what to do? What do you think?

Console_Messages.txt

Yeah I put it in /E/E and I think also in /S/L/E just to be safe... after this the installation worked like a treat, wireless works, graphics work, sound works all upgraded to 10.6.7.

With regards the safari issue, i've tried repair permissions, deleting and re-installing safari - still crashes, I haven't tried doing the combo update in safe mode....

... I have attached the console log showing its status when it crashes (at the bottom), it points to webkitplugin but I have no idea what to do? What do you think?

Console_Messages.txt

Try the following:

Safari preferences >>>> Security tab and uncheck "Warn me when visiting a fraudulent website" box and also see here.......

Hi Verdant,

I've been using your guide for a long time (even helped you with guide writing when SL released), but now I've got GTX460 and trying make it working by installing Chameleon 2 RC5, but the problem is, looks like no HDD are mounting on RC5. If I install RC4 again, MacOSX boots and works well, but not with RC5. Can you please help me?

Hi Verdant,

I've been using your guide for a long time (even helped you with guide writing when SL released), but now I've got GTX460 and trying make it working by installing Chameleon 2 RC5, but the problem is, looks like no HDD are mounting on RC5. If I install RC4 again, MacOSX boots and works well, but not with RC5. Can you please help me?

Hi trokhim,

How many OS X systems do you have installed on your HDDs? What build are you using for RC5?

Try the following:

Safari preferences >>>> Security tab and uncheck "Warn me when visiting a fraudulent website" box and also see here.......

Thanks again Verdant, it didn't solve it but got me thinking along the right lines, I disabled plugins and the fault disappeared.

I then removed all of the plugins from the internet plugin folder and put one at a time back in until it crashed again......turns out the problems is the flash player plugin. I tried all the fixes on the web page you gave, none work unfortunately.

Came across a site that mentioned running Safari in 32 bit mode - no more crashing albeit sites with flash on load slower than those without.

Just wondered if this could be a kext issue or whether it is something else as it would appear that normal macs also suffer from the same thing..... the only strange thing is that it appears to affect Macbook Pro's more than others, which is what shows up in my about this mac

I need some help installing Snow Leopard.

I adjusted my bios setting as best as I could matching up the guide. I partitioned my drive to GUID table with 1 partition.

I booted with the nforce boot dvd for sata. I can't successfully get to the retail install unless I use -x -v. I tried selecting only the system files to install in customize and I tried checking everything but I can't ever successfully install snow leopard.

I always get an error saying that the install failed and that mac osx cannot be installed on your computer. I tried repairing permissions and the disk but still get this error.

Even though I get this error, I can boot into snow leopard by using the boot dvd afterwards ONLY in safe mode. Anything else and it will hang in the chameleon screen forever with the spinning circle.

The guide has a lot of information but I need the most basic thing first and that is how to successfully install snow leopard on an internal hard drive without using safe mode.

I need some help installing Snow Leopard.

I adjusted my bios setting as best as I could matching up the guide. I partitioned my drive to GUID table with 1 partition.

I booted with the nforce boot dvd for sata. I can't successfully get to the retail install unless I use -x -v. I tried selecting only the system files to install in customize and I tried checking everything but I can't ever successfully install snow leopard.

I always get an error saying that the install failed and that mac osx cannot be installed on your computer. I tried repairing permissions and the disk but still get this error.

Even though I get this error, I can boot into snow leopard by using the boot dvd afterwards ONLY in safe mode. Anything else and it will hang in the chameleon screen forever with the spinning circle.

The guide has a lot of information but I need the most basic thing first and that is how to successfully install snow leopard on an internal hard drive without using safe mode.

Initially install and run OS X on the HDD with only one GeForce 7900GS graphics card installed.........

Ignore the "Install Failed" message window that will appear after the install has completed, and just click "Restart".......the failure is due to OS X not finding the EFI firmware interface and not being able to tell the BIOS firmware interface to reboot from the HDD volume on which OS X has been installed.......

After installing SL on the HDD, boot with -v -f arch=i386 and report what happens.........

Also, if you are using a SATA DVDRW, you should be using AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ and using maxmem=3072 in apple.Boot.plist.....

verdant,

Thanks for the help. What happens is mac loads up and starts up the snow leopard movie. I believe booting it in 32 bit with arch=i386 is what made it work. Although snow leopard only recognizes 3gb ram now.

I'll keep reading your guide to see what to do from here.

I managed to get wifi working, the graphics card, and sound although there is a hiss sound with voodoo hda. Even when I turn the microphone volume all the way down, its still hissing.

My main problem that I cant fix is Chameleon isnt working. I installed Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 and it doesn't boot into mac even with verbose mode.

If I use the boot disk, it still boots back into mac with -v -f without having to enter arch=i386. However the system info still shows that I have 3gb ram.

I have 2 hard drives, one is a Terabyte where mac is installed and ever since I installed chameleon, it boots into chameleon loader first even though its installed on the second drive not the main one.

I need some help getting mac to boot normally without having to enter -v -f.