nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

The sound kexts do not work for me in the link you provided.

I installed the kexts that you mentioned and it fixed the booting problem of not having to enter -v -f.

However, I still can't boot without the boot cd. I tried chameleon rc2, rc3, and rc5 but they all hang on the gray stop sign.

I might be skipping some steps for installing chameleon but there is no simple guide out there. I see manual guides that involves typing commands in the terminal. The installer packages do not work.

I don't have an existing /Extra/Extensions folder. But I do have those kexts in the main extensions folder (system/library/extensions) and in the root of Extra folder.

I installed the kexts that you mentioned and it fixed the booting problem of not having to enter -v -f.

However, I still can't boot without the boot cd. I tried chameleon rc2, rc3, and rc5 but they all hang on the gray stop sign.

I might be skipping some steps for installing chameleon but there is no simple guide out there. I see manual guides that involves typing commands in the terminal. The installer packages do not work.

I don't have an existing /Extra/Extensions folder. But I do have those kexts in the main extensions folder (system/library/extensions) and in the root of Extra folder.

If you are getting the gray stop sign, Chameleon is doing its job.

The problem is that the boot CD has extra kexts on it that are helping you boot past the stop sign. You need to get those kexts off the boot CD and install them onto your system.

1. Boot the computer to the Desktop

2. Find the boot CD icon on the Desktop and double-click it

3. Inside, find the Extra folder and open it

4. Inside the Extra folder, find the Preboot.dmg and double-click it

5. Inside the Preboot.dmg, find the Extra folder and inside that, the Extensions folder

6. Review the kexts and whatever you don't already have installed, install the rest of them.

7. Reboot with Chameleon and all should work fine.

You can simply manually create an Extensions folder in /Extra/ and put the kexts inside it.....

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext (apparently not required if using Chameleon 2.0 RC4 or RC5)

AppleNForceATA.kext (use AnV or slashack version.......see post #1)

I can't seem to get this to work.

I noticed that after installing chameleon rc3, I have an extra/extensions folder. I placed all the kexts there and installed them as well.

I also tried taking the kexts from the boot cd and installing them and placing them there.

In both cases, chameleon now gives me a screen where it says I need to shutdown and it will show the message no matter how many times I shut down.

I tried uninstalling the kexts but keeping them in the extra/extensions folder but its still the same result.

I think possibly one of the kexts that I installed or put in the folder is causing this kernel panic.

I can't seem to get this to work.

I noticed that after installing chameleon rc3, I have an extra/extensions folder. I placed all the kexts there and installed them as well.

I also tried taking the kexts from the boot cd and installing them and placing them there.

In both cases, chameleon now gives me a screen where it says I need to shutdown and it will show the message no matter how many times I shut down.

I tried uninstalling the kexts but keeping them in the extra/extensions folder but its still the same result.

I think possibly one of the kexts that I installed or put in the folder is causing this kernel panic.

Post the list of extensions you have in /E/E/ and also your com.apple.Boot.plist file contents......also what non-Apple kexts, if any, have you still got in /S/L/E/..........we can then see what to do next.......

The list in E/E:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext (slashhack's v0.1 compiled for 10.4.8)

ATAPortInjector.kext

Disabler.kext

FakeSMC.kext (2.5 I believe, I used this link: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist (from Extra folder):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

Non Apple kexts in /S/L/E:

NVEnabler 0.1.kext

I used chameleon rc3 because I couldn't find an installer for rc4 and rc5 beta didn't work and didn't create the Extra/Extensions folder. I can boot into Snow Leopard fine with the boot cd but chameleon hangs on the gray stop sign. I also noticed my keyboard settings reset because I changed the command and control modifier keys before.

The list in E/E:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext (slashhack's v0.1 compiled for 10.4.8)

ATAPortInjector.kext

Disabler.kext

FakeSMC.kext (2.5 I believe, I used this link: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/)

JMicronATAInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

com.apple.Boot.plist (from Extra folder):

Non Apple kexts in /S/L/E:

NVEnabler 0.1.kext

I used chameleon rc3 because I couldn't find an installer for rc4 and rc5 beta didn't work and didn't create the Extra/Extensions folder. I can boot into Snow Leopard fine with the boot cd but chameleon hangs on the gray stop sign. I also noticed my keyboard settings reset because I changed the command and control modifier keys before.

1. You should have in /Extra/Extensions/:

EITHER fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (preferred option)

OR netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext (only if preferred option results in kernel panics)

NOT both or a mix of both...........

So, unless you have and are using any JMicron SATA/eSATA ports on your MOBO, remove the JMicronATAInjector.kext, along with

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

Disabler.kext

and you should then have in /E/E/

AppleNForceATA.kext (AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext or AppleNForceATA.slash.kext from Snow Support Files v2.3 .....see post #1)

FakeSMC.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext (since you are using RC3, which I do)

2. For your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"Put No if you are using NVEnabler OR EFI Graphics string instead of GraphicsEnabler"</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string> "You can remove -v after confirming OS X booting OK"

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"EFI graphics string if you are NOT using GraphicsEnabler OR NVEnabler"</string>

</dict>

</plist>

and in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

3. For onboard LAN, put nForceLAN.kext v0.64.5 manually in /S/L/E/ and then in Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
 sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
 sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
 sudo  kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext  /System/Library/Extensions/

4. Reboot with -v -f............

Edited by verdant

Thank you, verdant!

I was still having kernel panics until I installed the kexts from the Extra folder to system/library/extensions.

This fixes the main problem but I also need a good kext for audio. Voodoo hda worked but had a hiss sound even when the microphone input was set to the lowest level.

Thank you, verdant!

I was still having kernel panics until I installed the kexts from the Extra folder to system/library/extensions.

This fixes the main problem but I also need a good kext for audio. Voodoo hda worked but had a hiss sound even when the microphone input was set to the lowest level.

What is your audio chipset/codec?

According the the motherboard manual it's just "High Definition Audio"

It supports 8 channels. The manual says that it can use realtek drivers. In windows 7, the driver is High Definition Audio Device. I don't know the exact chipset name.

According the the motherboard manual it's just "High Definition Audio"

It supports 8 channels. The manual says that it can use realtek drivers. In windows 7, the driver is High Definition Audio Device. I don't know the exact chipset name.

Install DPCIManager in OS X and/or get Vendor ID and Device ID for audio using Device Manager in Windows 7......then post the output here......

The realtek preference panel for windows provides under info the codec id. Im not sure if all reference manufactures use the same chipset but the evga one use alc885. Else there is still linux to find out (codec Dump) also useful to patch apple hda. If u have alc 885 and use the file from my link be sure u use the included apple hda (it must replace the current who is in Sytem/Library/Extension.

Here is the information I found using a system info tool in windows:

Ven ID: 10de

Vendor: nVidia Corporation

Dev ID: 0371

Device: MCP55 High Definition Audio

iLeopod, the kexts from your link do not work for me. They result in a kernel panic.

Here is the information I found using a system info tool in windows:

Ven ID: 10de

Vendor: nVidia Corporation

Dev ID: 0371

Device: MCP55 High Definition Audio

iLeopod, the kexts from your link do not work for me. They result in a kernel panic.

This is insufficient information..........what is your 680i MOBO Brand and model?.........you possibly have an Analog Devices AD1988B audio codec/chipset........if you confirm this to be the case, then go post #2 in this thread and see how to patch your DSDT.aml file for audio and then use it with the AD1988B Info.plist only kext (i.e. Legacy kext) in /E/E/ and OS X 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/.....

Should be the same:

my lspci:

nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio [10de:0371]

My

lspci -nn

output is

00:0f.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio [10de:0371] (rev a2)

but I have the Analog Devices AD1988B audio codec/chipset on an Asus P5N32E SLI Plus 650i chipset MOBO......so Wackintosh will have to check which audio codec/chipset he has e.g. by using Everest in Windows 7.........or tell us exactly what 680i MOBO brand and model he has........

I have the EVGA nforce 680i SLI.

P/N: 122-CK-NF68-A1

I don't know anymore information about it. Windows 7 just says "High definition audio device"

You then have a Realtek ALC885 chipset like iLeopod.......

So you should try reinstalling the files from his link....

BUT you also need to patch your DSDT.aml file for DTGP and HDEF (see post #2 in my nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for Snow Leopard (10.6) on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO thread) and then use his AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/ and his LegacyHDA.kext (an Info.plist only kext) in /E/E/ or in /S/L/E/

DTGP patch:

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

HDEF Patch:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

Device (MMAC)

I will be trying the patching soon but I ran into a problem that I can't seem to fix.

I have 2 hard drives, one with MBR with windows 7 and Xp on it and the other hard drive with a GUID table with 3 partitions where Snow Leopard is installed. I wanted to be able to select Mac from the first hard drive with Easy BCD. This somewhat worked. It would however start booting the partition that is used for storage that's formatted as FAT. But after it said it failed, it went to chameleon and I was able to select Mac.

I thought that the problem was with the active partition, so I started messing around with fdisk -e /dev/rdisk. Mac stopped booting in and I tried various partitions to be set as active.

This is no longer the problem because I did a clean install 2 times. I can no longer install chameleon RC2 installer. I am getting errors that the installation failed. I think this is a problem since a few days ago I was able to successfully install chameleon and I always got the successful message. I repartitioned the whole drive and reinstalled Mac and I'm still getting the install failed error.

I was able to get a successful message with Dr Hurts RC3 installer. But there is no extensions.mkext file and cameleon isn't booting up.

=====================================================================

Update:

I managed to get Chameleon to work again by placing the correct files in the extensions folder, deleting the hidden .chameleon folder, replacing the boot file, running kext utility program, and repairing permissions.

Chameleon is now loading but for some strange reason I no longer get a successful message when I try to install the package.

So I don't mean to get into the middle of this conversation, but I've done some research, and one member suggested deleting the IOFireWire kexts to make all 4 cores work. I tried this, and it worked. However, I use OS X mainly for Logic and music production, and I need my firewire audio interface to work. Is there any way around this? deleting those kexts is the only way that I could make the system stable for more than 5 minutes.

The interface is a PreSonus Firebox, not sure if that information is needed.

Running a 780i 3-way SLI mobo w/ Q9300 CPU and 4 GB ram.

So I don't mean to get into the middle of this conversation, but I've done some research, and one member suggested deleting the IOFireWire kexts to make all 4 cores work. I tried this, and it worked. However, I use OS X mainly for Logic and music production, and I need my firewire audio interface to work. Is there any way around this? deleting those kexts is the only way that I could make the system stable for more than 5 minutes.

The interface is a PreSonus Firebox, not sure if that information is needed.

Running a 780i 3-way SLI mobo w/ Q9300 CPU and 4 GB ram.

Option [1] See if you can get a x16 PCI-e Firewire card because the x16 PCI-e bus runs to the Northbridge of the processor, which provides more reliable access to the processor because it only manages the data from the x16 PCI-e slots and RAM.......

post-200327-1305988773_thumb.png

Or [2] Boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048 when using Firewire ports.......see here.

Okay, when I get some extra cash I'll have to try to invest in a new firewire card.

The problem lies with the IOFireWireAVC.kext , as this is the kext that the presonus firebox uses rather than it's own special driver.

the other FireWire kexts do not cause any issues.

I've tried 10.5 versions of this kext, as well as 10.4, and neither seem to work.