nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

@ iLeopod

Thank you for helping bbenson04 with his DSDT.aml etc.

I am not in the best position to help him with speedstepping etc. because I run a manually overclocked CPU and RAM with altered CPU, NB, SB and RAM voltages etc. with EIST and C1E disabled......and use Chameleon RC3 + PC_EFI v10.3 because it works best with my MBR/GPT multi-HDD multi-OS setup.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't speedstepping have to be enabled in the BIOS for it to work? I don't think I have it on because of your BIOS Settings list for nForce mobos.

I'll place this DSDT file at / and hopefully it doesn't mess up.

EDIT: Placed the DSDT.aml file at / and /Extra and I'm not seeing any difference in temps. Still at idle at 40C. I'd be scared to see what this would be at if I didn't have this water cooling system...

I have the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

Still not noticing any difference in temp drop after using the new DSDT file.

Also I've noticed that if I have an external drive connected to my computer (ie Time Machine) I get a memory error when the bootloader should appear. Sometimes USB drives aren't even recognized after SL is loaded. Usually if this happens I just have to restart and they work again. Doesn't happen all the time though

Hi ZeroKnight,

Glad my Retail SL install guide worked for you so well...... :)

Try disabling Spotlight Indexing of NTFS volumes and/or not mounting NTFS volumes on the OS X Desktop.......but it may help to completely disable Spotlight Indexing and use EasyFind instead.....

To stop NTFS volumes automounting on the OS X Desktop, try the evaluation version of TinkerToolSystem Release 2...........

Cheers

verdant

Doesn't seem to have stopped the freezes. I'll try again today as it froze a little after the command and it might not have taken effect.

I'm one step short of having the perfect setup: esata. Can someone who has esata help me troubleshoot the issues? I think I'm using chameleon rc2, b(90% sure, is there a way to check). I have tried a handful of .kexts without any working ones. p5ne-sli using -32 flag.

Here is a picture of my system profile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077682/Screen%20s....56.52%20AM.png

The drive is formatted ntfs, but I am using fuse ntfs drivers, which work on all other drives.

thanks

@ allenbina

You have not actually described your eSATA issue.......are you trying to boot Windows on the eSATA NTFS HDD........I am assuming you have installed the necessary JMicronATA.kext in S/L/E.......?

To clarify: I am running osx on an internal sata drive. I have music and videos on an external esata hard drive formatted in ntfs. I have tried JMicoronATA.kext and JMicronSATA.kext and a couple others with no results. If the only option is to try different .kext files, then I think I have tried everything. There are no options in the bios to change anything related to esata. Is it possible that the JMicron kext is conflicting with the nforceATA kext?

To clarify: I am running osx on an internal sata drive. I have music and videos on an external esata hard drive formatted in ntfs. I have tried JMicoronATA.kext and JMicronSATA.kext and a couple others with no results. If the only option is to try different .kext files, then I think I have tried everything. There are no options in the bios to change anything related to esata. Is it possible that the JMicron kext is conflicting with the nforceATA kext?

I am running in 32bit mode with AppleNForceATA.kext in /E/E/ and JMicronATA.kext in /S/L/E/........if I try large file transfers over a continuous period, e.g. in HDD cloning etc. to a eSATA drive via the JMB363 chipset I often get a KP unless I boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......although my eSATA HDDs are HFS+ formatted rather than NTFS......

I recently began experimenting with a ZOTAC NF610I-L-E mobo which uses the nForce 610i chipset. I had a hard time coming up with the correct BIOS settings to get the system to boot, but I finally did. I didn't have a spare SATA DVD drive, so I used an IDE DVD drive I had, but got the dreaded Still waiting for root device error. So I have a 16 Gb USB flash drive setup with an install of 10.6.0 and using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] I was able to boot this up. From there I cloned the install to the SATA hard drive I had installed and using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], I have the system booting from the hard drive now.

Once I had the system booting I began searching for ways to get everything working and found this thread. My ethernet, complete with Bonjour, is working OOTB. Using graphics enabler, I get 1280x1024 resolution on my current monitor (optimal resolution for this monitor is 1360x768), but no QE/CI. I even tried using a 7200GS, which has always produced good video on other Hacks I have, but this too would only come up to the single 1280x1024 resolution.

Sound was working as long as I booted using the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD, so that should be an easy fix. On a previous install attempt, I had the system updated to 10.6.6, but had mouse problems IIRC. I had planned to read this thread from the beginning, but got an IPS error so thought I would just post this much for now. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

BTW, here is the link to my BIOS settings:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ybyvvlu9zdcnmx5

EDIT: I have now updated the system to 10.6.6 via software update, but on the reboot I had no internet access. According to the network pref pane, ethernet was working, but I could not connect to the net. I rolled the IONetworkingFamily.kext back to the 10.6.0 version and that fixed that problem.

Also took the extracted DSDT and fixed the CMOS reset bug and 1 compile error and have that in place now. I'm up to page 25 of the thread and still reading...

@ mosslack

Assuming that your 610i chipset is fully-AHCI compliant, it may also be helpful to look at edge's guide here........ :)

@ mosslack

Assuming that your 610i chipset is fully-AHCI compliant, it may also be helpful to look at edge's guide here........ :)

Thanks, I'm halfway through this thread, but I'm taking a break to try a few more things. I will give it a look.

Edit: Read the first few pages and then the last page. Looks more like another one of your threads! :)

I've gotten so lazy using Chameleon's graphics enabler, I've forgotten how to do gfx strings, etc. So strange that the 7200GS is not fully working, but I will add the string to the boot.plist file and see if that makes it work. I also think I have it figured out where to patch in the audio for my ALC662 in the DSDT. Looks like the Zotac uses AZAD for it's audio device. Will post my results when finished.

Before I forget, thanks much for your continued monitoring of this thread, I'm amazed you've stuck around this long. I got so burnt out after a year doing the Asus 1201N thread that I finally had to tell everyone that I would only monitor every so often, but I still do at least once a day. Hard to say no sometimes.

I now have my setup working pretty well. Had to use NVEnabler64.kext to get the 7200GS working, tried both EFIStudio and OSx86Tools, but neither of those worked. Tried a couple of hacks to the DSDT to get audio working, but no joy there either, so I ended up using VoodooHDA.kext (V 0.2.61).

So I have full resolutions with QE/CI and working sound. Ethernet complete with bonjour, so this system is complete as far as I'm concerned. I do not use sleep on any of my systems, just too much trouble to get it and keep it working. Once more, thanks to verdant for his continued support of this chipset. I discovered a lot of new info while reading the thread and knowledge is always a good thing! :rolleyes:

@ mosslack

Glad you got everything work OK.......and that you appreciate my efforts with my nForce chipset threads......... -_-

@ mosslack

Glad you got everything work OK.......and that you appreciate my efforts with my nForce chipset threads......... :D

I do have one more quick question, this relates to the ethernet. After using the system for awhile now, I've discovered that the ethernet just dies after using it on YouTube for a short time. IOW, when used for streaming video from the net, it doesn't stay up very long, but I've used iTunes to stream music via my network server and it plays all day long.

This problem actually sounds more hardware related to me, but on the off chance others might be having this difficulty I thought I might mention it. I recall reading about ethernet problems on the thread, but don't remember the specifics.

I do have one more quick question, this relates to the ethernet. After using the system for awhile now, I've discovered that the ethernet just dies after using it on YouTube for a short time. IOW, when used for streaming video from the net, it doesn't stay up very long, but I've used iTunes to stream music via my network server and it plays all day long.

This problem actually sounds more hardware related to me, but on the off chance others might be having this difficulty I thought I might mention it. I recall reading about ethernet problems on the thread, but don't remember the specifics.

If you are using eno's nForceLAN.kext (assuming your MOBO's Ethernet chipset ID is supported by his kext), and you ran his nForceLAN.kext v0.64.6 .mpkg installer, then try rolling back to the 0.64.5 version.......

If you still have problems, then do a manual install, by using Pacifist to extract the nForceLAN.kext for Snow Leopard from the appropriate .mpkg file and then install it in /S/L/E using Kext Helper b7.......

BTW if present, also remove forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext, and remove nvenet.kext, or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad......this is because nvenet AFAIK is for Ethernet on MCP73 and MCP79 chipset systems but loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7 and later (including 10.6.x), look in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.......this is a new location for nvenet.kext; prior to 10.5.7, this kext was not in IONetworkingFamily.kext.......