EP45-UD3P Retail Method

unixman84

149 posts in this topic

I;m sure you've probably checked this but are you 100% sure you have the string correct? Because that is exactly what happens when the driver is not loading because the string is wrong - total loss of video just as it begins to load the GUI. The first time i tried to set mine up i did something dumb and had the wrong string, i had the same issue and it took me longer than it should have to figure it out ;)

Well .. yeah I'm questioning that myself at the moment.

On this site: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...DN%26start%3D20

There is a poster below named "Raph4" and in his comments he links the package for the dual PCB GTX 295 (which I have) ... here is the link as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/irmtkim2wot/NVGTX295.zip

In this "package" is the plist for a GTX295 and the hex he made from it. Using EFI studio I got the same hex using that plist. Now its possible that the plist is wrong but I'm not exactly sure how I would know that.

-Z

Well .. yeah I'm questioning that myself at the moment.

On this site: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...DN%26start%3D20

There is a poster below named "Raph4" and in his comments he links the package for the dual PCB GTX 295 (which I have) ... here is the link as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/irmtkim2wot/NVGTX295.zip

In this "package" is the plist for a GTX295 and the hex he made from it. Using EFI studio I got the same hex using that plist. Now its possible that the plist is wrong but I'm not exactly sure how I would know that.

-Z

I've solved some of my problem and to be sure it was indeed me all along. I never once doubted it was going to be all me in the end, it was just a matter of when I caught myself doing the wrong stuff!!!

More or less I had to make sure I had the nVidia drivers installed FIRST (yeah durrrrrr) then boot up with all my silly DSDT and EFI strings in tow. So my install process was like this

1. Boot into OSX 10.5.6

2. Restore SL image to external USB drive

3. Run the OSInstall.mpkg (from within OS 10.5.6)

4. Install SL to clean drive

5. Install Stellas installer pkg to my new SL drive

6. Bust open the nVidia drivers mpkg and install the components to the SL drive individually (mpkg was only made for 10.5.7 or above)

7. FINALLY boot Snow Leopard

and

KA-BOOM! I get video and I've entered the land of Kernel Panics galore. Probably because my permissions are all jacked to hell and my method is stupid. In fact I'v realized that what I really have here is a "Installing SL w/GTX-295" issue and really I should start a totally new thread once I figure it out.

Near as I can tell it is not possible to boot directly into a SL installation using this vid card without installing the nVidia drivers to the installer volume. I CAN do this however I get massive Kernel Panics attempting to install this way.

In any case thank you all for the various tips and help :) I'm certainly not done yet but I'm able to boot the damned thing now. now I just need to sort out what is blowing me up all over the place.

-Z

I have a GA-EP45-UD3R with an E8400 and Geforce 9600GSO384.

I preformed a USB install (booted off Chameleon CD, selected DVD image written to external HD, booted, partitioned hard drive as GUID, created two partitions, installed to the second, installed PC EFI to the first). I added the EFI hex to enable my 9600GSO as a 8600GT384mb. I don't believe I have sound working -- but right now I can't seem to get my onboard lan to work either.

I believe once upon a time I had 10.5.x running with onboard networking working, but I preformed this a clean install with no previous version around.

The machine detects that it is plugged into a switch, and picks up an APIPA IP (169.x.x.x). I tried statically assigning one and it still doesn't work. The card/setup works 100% ok in Windows 7.

Is there a trick to make the onboard ethernet work?

To those having the immediate kernel panic with the Mac OS Version: Not Yet Set error: I seem to have gotten past this issue on this board by using the boot file in the new chameleon RC3 distro. I doubt it matters but my full process was

1. from a MBP running SL, install SL to the root partition of a new HD (OSInstall.mpkg)

2. run the vsdbutil on the new HD (doubt this matters, but I was grasping at straws): sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/<snow drive>

3. download and install Chameleon RC3, following steps under manual install (there are 3 commands to run, the last of which is to sudo cp /path/to/boot /Volumes/<snow drive>

3.a I made the boot file invisible: sudo SetFile -a "V" /Volumes/<snow drive>/boot

4. copy an Extra folder over; the one I used is from this thread

5. edit the files in /Volume/<snow drive>/Extra (smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist) with the UUID of the <snow drive>

6. edit com.apple.boot.plist with my GFX string for my 260

7. left DSDT.aml alone

So basically used the same steps that everyone is using with the exception of the boot file. I don't have sound working yet but I'm working on that now.

On test 3 I added cpu disabling to "Disabler.kext. PlatformUUID is NOT needed as the built-in ethernet has fixed that.

That will be the last one released. Good day.

-Stell

Stellar work mate! I would like to report success on a UD3P with Core2 Quad Q6700. Interestingly, my NV 9400GT 512 Dual DVI works out-of-the-box on dual monitors with this install. Does SL hide CE/QE info?

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Graphics Engine

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0641

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

DELL 1908FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Ethernet and sound are functional. But I don't see Bonjour in the 'add printer' pane...

Sleep works...but DHCP/IP address is lost once it wakes. Time to go static.

Shuts down just fine! :)

Haven't checked Time Machine or RAID yet, will report back.

I think it's time to mention this method as preferred at the top of the guide!

-Fish

Hey guys, just read the thread, and I'm excited about upgrading to 10.6, but I'm curious if there's a way to do it without an 8 gig usb stick. I tried using an old iPod and an SD card, and neither worked. I'm running 10.5.8 on my ud3p right now... I saw someone say they upgraded. Does this mean like a software upgrade without reformatting?

Thanks for any help!

Stellar work mate! I would like to report success on a UD3P with Core2 Quad Q6700. Interestingly, my NV 9400GT 512 Dual DVI works out-of-the-box on dual monitors with this install. Does SL hide CE/QE info?

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Graphics Engine

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0641

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Main Display: Yes

DELL 1908FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Ethernet and sound are functional. But I don't see Bonjour in the 'add printer' pane...

Sleep works...but DHCP/IP address is lost once it wakes. Time to go static.

Shuts down just fine! :wacko:

Haven't checked Time Machine or RAID yet, will report back.

I think it's time to mention this method as preferred at the top of the guide!

-Fish

Snow Leopard doesn't show QE/CI in system profiler by default, unlike Leopard. A good way to make sure its working is to run the Chess app in the /Applications folder. If it works, you're in business. Bonjour doesn't work with onboard. There are a couple workarounds but I didn't include anything for it in the pkg as I like to keep things pretty stock.

-Stell

Snow Leopard doesn't show QE/CI in system profiler by default, unlike Leopard. A good way to make sure its working is to run the Chess app in the /Applications folder. If it works, you're in business.

-Stell

The chess pieces move, running a 3870 in a 2000kext and 3800Controller gutted 64-bit Snow. I don't have hardware acceleration, I know I'm running in VESA mode. Widgets don't ripple when they are dropped, though...

The Chess Program is no longer a valid test of qe implementation.

Don't mean to pick at nits, just seek to clear up this bit of misinformation so others won't experience the crush of disappointment that comes with the realization that though one can play chess, one can't watch Hulu full screen.

(Though the 3870 "passes" the tests through 2.1, the scores are in the teens rather then the two thousands in OpenGL Extensions Viewer.)

yea, if you want a tester, I'd like to try it out. I ended up using Adams way of installing the OS; I've got everything but networking. (Sorry Lucas, I was short on time, and I have a few USB sticks.)

Pliskin.

No reason to be sorry, My goal was to be helpful, and if i did that then all is well.

Hey guys, just read the thread, and I'm excited about upgrading to 10.6, but I'm curious if there's a way to do it without an 8 gig usb stick. I tried using an old iPod and an SD card, and neither worked. I'm running 10.5.8 on my ud3p right now... I saw someone say they upgraded. Does this mean like a software upgrade without reformatting?

Thanks for any help!

My box has two internal Sata HDs.... I added the Install volume to one of those and the Snow volume to the other... i did not use a USB stick... also my guide has been updated to reflect the steps and structure of LifeHackers Snow Leopard Guide.

Sorry my guide was so sloppy but it should be way easier to follow now.

-luke

The chess pieces move, running a 3870 in a 2000kext and 3800Controller gutted 64-bit Snow. I don't have hardware acceleration, I know I'm running in VESA mode. Widgets don't ripple when they are dropped, though...

The Chess Program is no longer a valid test of qe implementation.

Don't mean to pick at nits, just seek to clear up this bit of misinformation so others won't experience the crush of disappointment that comes with the realization that though one can play chess, one can't watch Hulu full screen.

(Though the 3870 "passes" the tests through 2.1, the scores are in the teens rather then the two thousands in OpenGL Extensions Viewer.)

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of that, machinist. The pkg I uploaded has support for Nvidia cards only, sorry brother. :(

Good luck.

-Stell

My box has two internal Sata HDs.... I added the Install volume to one of those and the Snow volume to the other... i did not use a USB stick... also my guide has been updated to reflect the steps and structure of LifeHackers Snow Leopard Guide.

Sorry my guide was so sloppy but it should be way easier to follow now.

-luke

Thanks a lot, I'll be giving it a shot soon!

Thanks for any help!

Install 10.6 by mounting the DMG in Leopard and installing onto a clean partition. Then you can install your E/E folder and repair permissions to have a working dual-boot of 10.5.8 and 10.6. You might also need to update your bootloader to ensure you can boot 10.6

Once you have 10.6 working the way you like, you can wipe your 10.5.8 install and mirror your 10.6 installation onto the partition to either keep a back-up, or just to keep things neater. I've done that on both my laptop and desktop to success.

Install 10.6 by mounting the DMG in Leopard and installing onto a clean partition. Then you can install your E/E folder and repair permissions to have a working dual-boot of 10.5.8 and 10.6. You might also need to update your bootloader to ensure you can boot 10.6

Once you have 10.6 working the way you like, you can wipe your 10.5.8 install and mirror your 10.6 installation onto the partition to either keep a back-up, or just to keep things neater. I've done that on both my laptop and desktop to success.

Is it not possible to convert the dmg to read/write, then install the package from stellarola, then burn to a DL DVD?

Thanks for any help!

I did it w/o the stick. Once I work out video, I'll be set. audio is percolating perfectly so she is booting.

Is it not possible to convert the dmg to read/write, then install the package from stellarola, then burn to a DL DVD?

You probably could, but if you have an extra drive/partition then there's no reason to burn a disc to boot off.

And to clarify, since I got an IM about this - E/E is the Extra/Extensions folder in the root of the drive that allows you to put extra .kexts, your DSDT, etc into for Chameleon to read.

UD3P 1.6 here..

Snow-Boot132 + Retail DVD, using GPT for all drives (no windows for me). Using external usb audio w/ onboard disabled. No UUID/SMBIOS mess (hardcoding = bad). Just works.

1. Insert boot132 disc, later swap for Retail DVD.

2. Disk Utility to partition/GPT drive.

3. Install to drive.

4. Reboot and insert boot132 disc again. Boot to SL.

5. Install Cham RC3 and copy over fakesmc, openhaltrstrt and DSDT.

6. Good times.

My DSDT.dsl if anyone wants it.. has hpet, rtc, powerbutton and a few other fixes. 9800gt handled by efi string.

101% perfect system, 0 KPs.

UD3P 1.6 here..

Snow-Boot132 + Retail DVD, using GPT for all drives (no windows for me). Using external usb audio w/ onboard disabled. No UUID/SMBIOS mess (hardcoding = bad). Just works.

1. Insert boot132 disc, later swap for Retail DVD.

2. Disk Utility to partition/GPT drive.

3. Install to drive.

4. Reboot and insert boot132 disc again. Boot to SL.

5. Install Cham RC3 and copy over fakesmc, openhaltrstrt and DSDT.

6. Good times.

My DSDT.dsl if anyone wants it.. has hpet, rtc, powerbutton and a few other fixes. 9800gt handled by efi string.

101% perfect system, 0 KPs.

Can u post your dsdt file or PM me? (have the same rev 1.6 board and looking for a non-graphics version). Thanks.

Here is my DSDT.aml for a GA-EP45-UD3P board. This DSDT is based on the one posted by unixman84 however it has been patched to fix sound. You will need the legacyHDA.kext as well. I am also using the ifconfig fix with a login hook to fix bonjour.

I tried your DSDT.aml and got mixed results. I was able to see IO devices in profiler under Audio (Build In) but nothing was listed for output devices in sound preferences. Also, this DSDT broke my ethernet (PCI card). WIth unixman's DSDT, I have no IO devices under profiler. Also I get this at boot with both DSDTs, "Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot".

I'm also having the CMOS reset issue on every reboot with unixman's packaged DSDT.

This is my /Extra/Extensions contents:

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

EVOenabler.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

ALC889A.Fix.kext

Any ideas? Do I need to start learning how to decompile DSDTs?

EDIT: Decompiled and edited my DSDT and got the same result as crashalert's DSDT.aml. I left out the Ethernet portion of the editing since I have a PCI card and now my internet works and I don't have the CMOS reset issue. However, I still have no sound (IO devices shown in System Profiler but nothing in Sound Preferences). Am I missing a kext somewhere?

EDIT^2: Nevermind, I'm stupid. I put my patched DSDT in /Extra/Extensions. Everything works fine now. Two degrees in EE and I'm still dumb as a rock...

Can someone help me. I set everything up just like in the first post. Only thing I did differently was add an EFI string for my 3870. Whenever I boot I with -v arch=i386 it stops loading at

JMicron ATA: ScanForDri

Not sure what that means.

If I boot with just -v it stops at

System Uptime in Nanoseconds.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

post-238648-1252688365_thumb.jpg

post-238648-1252688396_thumb.jpg

Can someone help me. I set everything up just like in the first post. Only thing I did differently was add an EFI string for my 3870. Whenever I boot I with -v arch=i386 it stops loading at

JMicron ATA: ScanForDri

Not sure what that means.

If I boot with just -v it stops at

System Uptime in Nanoseconds.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

You could try bypassing the JMicron's altogether by only using the non-purple SATA ports and disabling the front SATA's (i think this is in the bios). Also, I got my 4870 to work by using the evoenabler method without any device_id/EFI strings (i deleted the one that came in this pack in com.apple.boot.plist)

Here's my reference for my 4870: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183064

Good luck

I got my system working almost %100. I have everything but sleep working (not a major issue).

Here's my setup:

EP45-UD3P (onboard sound and LAN both working)

core 2 quad q9550

2x 2gb corsair ddr2 800

ATI HD4870 1GB (full QE/CI with EVOenabler ONLY)

1 Partition (GPT) on 250 GB drive on SATA0

Boot flags: none

/Extra/Extensions: (not all of these are necessary, some leftover from trial and error)

ALC889A.Fix.kext

EVOenabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext (the orange one)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Modifications:

Patched DSDT using instructions in the kit. Worked beautifully, full sound, interwebs, and CMOS reflash problem fixed!

Thanks for the great guide! If I'm capable, I'm happy to help people still having problems.

You could try bypassing the JMicron's altogether by only using the non-purple SATA ports and disabling the front SATA's (i think this is in the bios). Also, I got my 4870 to work by using the evoenabler method without any device_id/EFI strings (i deleted the one that came in this pack in com.apple.boot.plist)

Here's my reference for my 4870: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183064

Good luck

Dang :D I'm using most of my SATA Ports and can't really disable most of them. I have 4 hard drives and a DVD drive. Any other ideas?

Dang :( I'm using most of my SATA Ports and can't really disable most of them. I have 4 hard drives and a DVD drive. Any other ideas?

That's only 5. I believe the JMicron's are the purple ones and the 6 orange ones are on another controller.