EP45-UD3P Retail Method

unixman84

149 posts in this topic

Okay, my SL finally arrived after taking an unnecessary trip to the west coast. Used Stell's excellent Test2 package and have 10.6.1 running on my UD3P test partition. My problem is no video form my 3rd monitor, which I expected using the DSDT from the dual display provided. My question is, what is the best way to modify the DSDT to use both video cards? This is my first real foray into DSDT files so I don't really know where to begin.

You are right. I have done some searching through the bios and can't find anything about disabling JMicron. Any idea where it is?

I'm not sure you can, I don't see it anywhere. Just try removing the JMicron controller kext and stick with the normal SATA ports.

On the UD3P, in Bios -> Integrated Periph.. the Onboard (2nd - midway through the list) SATA/IDE interface is the jmicron interface. Set that to disabled. This disables both the 2 SATA ports and the 1 IDE port.

The 1st bios item corresponds to the ich10 ports. Those should be set for AHCI and Enabled (not legacy).

After the Install disk boots up, I get the Mac OS X srceen where I can choose the languages

the cursor does not move.

Please advice.

Is your USB mouse bios setting set to enabled? I had the common CMOS reset problem where it would default it to Disabled on every reboot.

I have the UD3P with Q9550, Nividia 7800GT, 1TB Seagate GUID BootDrive for SL and a 2TB Seagate with working iAtkos i7 10.5.7 -> 10.5.8.

I set up the bios as per lifehacker (except for not disabling the internal ethernet).

I bought the Leopard DVD at the Apple store, restored it onto my Corsair 16GB FD, then ran the MagicInstallerTest 3 on the FD.

After booting from the FD I installed SL (all default settings) onto the clean 1TB Seagate drive without any errors.

I removed the FD, booted from the BootDrive. I see Chameleon (which seems to be RC1), select the drive and end up with the spinner and the grey apple on the light grey background.

I ran the MagicInstaller also on my BootDrive (instead of only on the FD) and got the shiny apple with the spinner.

After -v at Chameleon RC1:

Creating RAM Disk for ......: returning error 0x6b

hdik: attach failed: error 0000006b

IOHDIXController:: createDriveInKernel: returning error 0x6b <about 6 times for different directories>

nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) data was not found

launch_msg(): socket is not connected

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

That is the last line and then it is frozen.

After -v -x32 at Chameleon: I get the MAC OS version: Not yet set error.

This time I followed this original guide, updated the UUIDs and when I started to install from the FD at 28 min I got a KP and the usual CMOS reset. Tried it again, same KP at "Time Remaining: About 28 minutes".

I tried the original lifehacker way and also tried the Guide for UD3R, something major goes wrong every time.

This is all on brand-new hardware (MB, CPU, memory, not so much the graphics card) at stock speeds.

Thanks for everybody's help on the different forums.

With the time I have wasted so far I could have easily bought an iMac. :)

Clarification: I am mad about myself and my inability to achieve what many other did successfully after some additional tinkering and research and definitely not about the Hackintosh community.

I just saw over at Lifehacker that Adam will come out with an improved Hackintosh guide for the UD3P next week.

Hope is eternal...

As a last ditch effort I removed the NetGear GA302T GigabitEthernet card I had put in to use if I could not get Bonjour working.

Well, I janked the card. Redid the USB install, did the magic, installed to the boot drive, did the magic, rebooted, forgot about the -v arch=i386 and my jaw hit the floor when I saw the welcome animation with music!!

I am just timemachining the install drive. I will update to 10.6.1 and then play with Bonjour.

Thanks everybody.

i managed to successfully install SL using Stellarola's magic installer. it is very simple and worked.

briefly here's how i did it :

1. partitioned usb hard disk into 2 : 1 for SL installer, the 2nd to install SL (as test bed)

2. restored SL into 1st partition. installed Stellar's s/w into it.

3. booted from 1st partition and installed SL into 2nd partition.

4. viola! i have SL running on the usb drive.

thanks to the forumers who provided lots of info in this thread.

one question... i'm using GTS250 with 1 Gb RAM and i noticed that the system display shows VRAM as 512 Mb. does this have any effect on the performance of the graphics card? how to i change it to 1Gb ?

thanks

ps : i updated to 10.6.1. no problem.

I have just one more problem left over.

I cannot see other computers in my network and I guess that is the Bonjour thing.

Following http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/installing-...3747/page2.html post#30

I downloaded the modified ifconfig from Daniel U. Becker's Homepage .

My ethernet is en1 versus en0 in the file

It also instructs to put the modified ifconfig in usr/local/bin/. I did not find that directory but put it into usr/bin where the original ifconfig was.

I put the localhost.setpromisc.plist into the Library/LaunchDaemons/ directory and changed inside the plist file "en0" to "en1" and changed usr/local/bin to usr/bin.

On boot up, checking for the ifconfig my en1 is not in promisc mode.

After I do the "sudo ifconfig en1 promisc" the en1 shows as promisc but nothing else is changed.

I can see the hackintosh from the others on the network.

I cannot log into it from the other computers even with the login and password but just going in as guest with no password shows me the (non-installed) printer icon.

I have enabled almost everything in the Systempreferences/Sharing.

When I go to the hackingtosh's IP (192.168.1.2) from the other computers I get an "It works" website which is probably the default index.html on the hackintosh.

I just downloaded the new Brother printer drivers from the Apple site and the driver found the printer using Bonjour. Does that mean that Bonjour is working but somehow I cannot see the other computers in my home network?

What am I missing here?

I spoke too soon.

I cannot see or access any NTFS drives. They show up in diskutil but not in finder or desktop.

I installed first Paragon NTFS 6.5, then uninstalled it, then installed 7.02, still no luck.

All these drives are hooked up to the 6 yellow SATA ports running in AHCI (not even the purple ones running through JMicron).

According to the Startup Mode Selector everything is running in 64bit mode.

Any ideas?

I've used Stellarola's package, both TEST1 and TEST3, in conjuction with a USB flash drive, and in both cases I cannot get my onboard 8168C ethernet working under Snow Leopard. The hardware is recognized and the AppleRTL8169Ethernet driver is loaded for the device at PEX4. Using the same DSDT.aml under 10.5.8, the hardware is working fine.

If anyone has suggestions, or wants additional info, I'd be happy to supply them. I have a GA-EP45-UD3P board, Rev. 1.6, with BIOS FB, purchased from NewEgg about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks,

--Skip

one question... i'm using GTS250 with 1 Gb RAM and i noticed that the system display shows VRAM as 512 Mb. does this have any effect on the performance of the graphics card? how to i change it to 1Gb ?

You need to change the amount of memory listed in the DSDT.aml. There's a new tool that has been posted recently, DSDTSE, that will disassemble your DSDT.aml, allow you to make changes, and then reassemble it for you. Search for NVDA, then scroll down a few lines to the entry for NVRAM, and change the value 0x20 to 0x40.

Don't know what the relationship between reported size and performance it. I had a card with 256 Mb memory, and it worked fine, even though the reported size was 512 (before I fixed it...)

I've used Stellarola's package, both TEST1 and TEST3, in conjuction with a USB flash drive, and in both cases I cannot get my onboard 8168C ethernet working under Snow Leopard. The hardware is recognized and the AppleRTL8169Ethernet driver is loaded for the device at PEX4. Using the same DSDT.aml under 10.5.8, the hardware is working fine.

If anyone has suggestions, or wants additional info, I'd be happy to supply them. I have a GA-EP45-UD3P board, Rev. 1.6, with BIOS FB, purchased from NewEgg about 3 weeks ago.

Solved my own problem! :)

The driver was incorrectly setting the link speed at 100baseTX. Dropping the speed manually to 10baseT/UTP solved the problem.

Has anyone tried this tutorial with the HD4830 ATI card?

Right now i get the KP with the version not set error at bootup.

Have tried multiple guides but to no avail..

Anyone know how to generate EFI strings for this card??

Thanks for the ton of advice on this thread + the tutorials.. It really helps.

The Orion

Has anyone tried this tutorial with the HD4830 ATI card?

Right now i get the KP with the version not set error at bootup.

Have tried multiple guides but to no avail..

Anyone know how to generate EFI strings for this card??

Thanks for the ton of advice on this thread + the tutorials.. It really helps.

The Orion

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have a HD4870 that I got working with this method. I used EVOenabler.kext and removed the EFI string from the package posted here.

The EVOenabler's info.plist was modified by editing the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one in ATY_init.kext for my card. The edited version can be found in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183064

Maybe you can do the same for the 4830, after all, it is just a slimmed down rv770 core.

I have full QE/CI with this method, but the display won't wake from full sleep (it does wake from display only sleep).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I can post my files for you if it helps.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have a HD4870 that I got working with this method. I used EVOenabler.kext and removed the EFI string from the package posted here.

The EVOenabler's info.plist was modified by editing the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one in ATY_init.kext for my card. The edited version can be found in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183064

Maybe you can do the same for the 4830, after all, it is just a slimmed down rv770 core.

I have full QE/CI with this method, but the display won't wake from full sleep (it does wake from display only sleep).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I can post my files for you if it helps.

The files would definitely be helpful - thank you i appreciate that.

And i will browse through that link you sent.

thanks SkipG. i tried DSTDSE & it worked. my VRAM now shows 1024 Mb :-)

just to share on some successful encounters :

i installed another SL test bed on the same usb HD that already has SL installer & SL OS(created a new partition). after installation on reboot, i got kp & "os not set" error. i copied the 'Extra' folder in the SL installer into the OS partition & rebooted. & viola! it worked and i now have 2 SL OS test beds in the usb drive.

i tried to get bonjour working using real1000 kext but ended up losing internet connection. but i managed to get bonjour working using ifconfig method from Eliade found in this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...81133&st=60

[sOLVED] PCI Slot matters!! :(

Solved my own problem! :(

The driver was incorrectly setting the link speed at 100baseTX. Dropping the speed manually to 10baseT/UTP solved the problem.

And, FINALLY, the rest of the story. If you have this board, and are installing an add-in 8169 card, the card does not work if you use the top PCI slot. You need to use the bottom slot!!!

How important trivial details can be!

--Skip

I couldn't get my card(quartzExtreme) to be recognized with the DSDT file. I de-compiled (iaslMe) the DSDT (V2) per Stell and removed the graphics part so I could add device-properties (efi string) in the .boot.plist. I can share the plist and new DSDT file if there is interest. You can use OSx86 Tools Utility to grab the EFI string specific to your card.

I would be interested in your DSDT file. My install is working flawlessly, but QE does not appear to be working and when I watch a video/movie the mouse will go nuts and screen will freeze. The pc is still running, the movie is playing, but I'm stuck with a static image on the screen. I'm am going to install from scratch one final time, but if that does not work then I would LOVE to try your DSDT file.

fyi, my video card is a BFG 9800 GTX+.

Hello SR,

Here is a link to my DSDT file. Let me know if you want the com.apple.Boot.plist with where to copy in your device-properties from your card. Everything is working for me except the sound input/output on the front which I have working in Leopard. IDE and SATA drives etc are all working. I have an external SATA drive connected by USB and if it is on, the computer freezes at the BIOs load screen. Other USB external drives are no problem. I just need to put the SATA drive in the case. I have had pretty a good up-time with no KP etc. I think it is important to get your BIOS settings right, but it is a pain to go through each one.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/50085/DSDT.aml

These are the Kexts I am using: ALC889A.fix, Disabler, fakesmc, HDAEnabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, JMicronATA, OpenHaltRestart. I think the list is smaller with the Test3 installer from Stell, but this works for me. The JMIcronATA is slightly different than what was floating around (184KB vs 82KB). This might just be the x86_64/i386 slimming function through. I got the Kext from JMicron's site or another site specializing in just kexts.

I noticed someone else using a HDALegacy kext. I wonder if that would get the front input/output working.

-Monterey

ps I just noticed the attachment option and uploaded my smbios and com.apple.Boot plists.

I would be interested in your DSDT file. My install is working flawlessly, but QE does not appear to be working and when I watch a video/movie the mouse will go nuts and screen will freeze. The pc is still running, the movie is playing, but I'm stuck with a static image on the screen. I'm am going to install from scratch one final time, but if that does not work then I would LOVE to try your DSDT file.

fyi, my video card is a BFG 9800 GTX+.

ComappleSmbios.zip

Hey...

can you provide the kexts u r using....thanx

Hello SR,

Here is a link to my DSDT file. Let me know if you want the com.apple.Boot.plist with where to copy in your device-properties from your card. Everything is working for me except the sound input/output on the front which I have working in Leopard. IDE and SATA drives etc are all working. I have an external SATA drive connected by USB and if it is on, the computer freezes at the BIOs load screen. Other USB external drives are no problem. I just need to put the SATA drive in the case. I have had pretty a good up-time with no KP etc. I think it is important to get your BIOS settings right, but it is a pain to go through each one.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/50085/DSDT.aml

These are the Kexts I am using: ALC889A.fix, Disabler, fakesmc, HDAEnabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, JMicronATA, OpenHaltRestart. I think the list is smaller with the Test3 installer from Stell, but this works for me. The JMIcronATA is slightly different than what was floating around (184KB vs 82KB). This might just be the x86_64/i386 slimming function through. I got the Kext from JMicron's site or another site specializing in just kexts.

I noticed someone else using a HDALegacy kext. I wonder if that would get the front input/output working.

-Monterey

ps I just noticed the attachment option and uploaded my smbios and com.apple.Boot plists.

Hello All,

I install Retail 10.6 on my EP45-UD3P.

Everything doing well, except the sound and LAN(only 10baseT-Full Duplex work).

I spent a few days for trying kext and DSDT patches.

Now, the sound card is singing without any kext left in /S/L/E.

The list of /E/E are as below,

ALC889A.Fix.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

These are my H/W spec.

MOBO: EP45-UD3P

BIOS: F9

CPU: Q9550 2.88 GHz

RAM: 8GB (2GB 1033 Dual(pair) x 2)

VGA: Gigabyte GV-N98TOC-512I 9800GT 512MB

SATA: AHCI Mode

Here are my instructions:

1. Insatll SL Retail DVD by USB or Boot CD

(there are many threads talking about this. If you get any problem, you could the keyword 'retail')

2. Apply your own DSDT patches.

Follow this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

for more detail.

3. Suggest not to extract the dsdt.aml form SL, you should do it from Leopard or Windows.

I get the BIOS by Gigabyte's @BIOS Utility under Windows.

Or, You could download the BIOS from Gigabyte's web site.

4. I run the ACPI Patcher(V0.2 Beta 5) from my another Win XP Laptop.

This version does not fix the problom of reset BIOS.

You should modify the dsdt.dsl

5. Open the command-prompt console, run the command to make dsdt.aml

iasl -sa dsdt.dsl

6. Boot into SL, install Chameleon Boot Loader and /E/E kexts.

Copy dsdt.aml to /Extra/

And, edit your own com.apple.Boot.plist

(I left device-properties as empty, no need for EFI String, DSDT does all for well.)

7. Reboot SL again. Click ths small Apple icon for 'About This Mac'

Show More Information.

Read the Audio part, write down the Audio ID. (Mine is 889)

8. Open Info.plist of ALC889A.kext

Change LayoutID and PathMapID to yours.

ConfigData = <21871c40 21871d90 21871ea0 21871f90 21971c50 21971d90 21971ea1 21971f02 21a71c60 21a71d30 21a71e81 21a71f01 21b71c70 21b71d40 21b71e21 21b71f02 21471c10 21471d40 21471e11 21471f01 21571c20 21571d10 21571e01 21571f01 21671c30 21671d60 21671e01 21671f01 21771c80 21771d20 21771e01 21771f01 21e71c90 21e71d61 21e71e4b 21e71f01 21f71ca0 21f71d01 21f71ecb 21f71f01>

And Save it.

9. Reboot SL, the soud will work.

Good Locks.

alc889a.zip

Hi, Unixman.

Thanks for your guide, though it doesn't work yet for me.

I was able to boot from the install HDD after I figured out it needed to be first in the Bios' boot order, but the install fails after just a few seconds, when Snow Leopard starts copying packages.

I'm going to read all the thread, just in cause this issue has been solved already.