EP45-UD3P Retail Method

unixman84

149 posts in this topic

Stella,

Thanks for this!

I'm also reporting that everything works phenomenally well on my ep45T-ud3p. Time machine / Bonjour / Final Cut Pro 3 / Looks real stable. My request nly would be if the package contents could be installed to an EXTRAS directory instead of buried in the system folder.

Thanks again for this. I spent over 5 days battling with previous guides, Kernal panics everywhere. So this was a major relief! Now its running clean. I'll download package number two and do a repeat install.

Whats the specific changes?

Stella,

Thanks for this!

I'm also reporting that everything works phenomenally well on my ep45T-ud3p. Time machine / Bonjour / Final Cut Pro 3 / Looks real stable. My request nly would be if the package contents could be installed to an EXTRAS directory instead of buried in the system folder.

Thanks again for this. I spent over 5 days battling with previous guides, Kernal panics everywhere. So this was a major relief! Now its running clean. I'll download package number two and do a repeat install.

Whats the specific changes?

Hey visonarie,

Nothing is "buried" in the system folder. Everything in this installer goes to /Extra on the root of the hdd or flash key you're installing to, so I don't really know what you mean.

The change in the TEST 2 was the graphics portion, I accidently forgot to change the hex character for the graphic name and it's possible it kept graphics from working as it should have.

Later,

-Stell

Went ahead and backed up my known good configuration, and wiped out the Extra folder. Installed your test 2 and am amazed that everything seems to be working without any kexts! The wonders of a good DSDT. VERY VERY nice job! Thanks a ton and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any problems/updates.

I did notice in 32-bit TemperatureMonitor is reporting temps of ~16-20 C higher than my previous install. Not sure if that has something do with a lack of a temp control kext or just misreporting the actual temps now. Haven't found a way to monitor temps in 64-bit mode yet. Will have to see what's going on or if it's nothing to worry about like on my Quad Server that just reports the temps high.

Edit: Loads temps are normal, it's just the idle/low that's high....

DrKrazy-

is QE is working fine? I have a geforce 8600 GTS 256 mb and no luck with the translucent menu bar. There should be a handful of kexts in the extensions.mkext package under Extra. The MKextTool isn't showing them from leopard. The tst one included: ALC889A.fix, Disabler, fakesmc, IOAHCBlockinjector, LegacyJMB36xSATA, and OpenHaltRestart. The packaging mkext, does make it cleaner, but more effort when trying to add kexts or for trouble shooting.

Went ahead and backed up my known good configuration, and wiped out the Extra folder. Installed your test 2 and am amazed that everything seems to be working without any kexts! The wonders of a good DSDT. VERY VERY nice job! Thanks a ton and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any problems/updates.

I did notice in 32-bit TemperatureMonitor is reporting temps of ~16-20 C higher than my previous install. Not sure if that has something do with a lack of a temp control kext or just misreporting the actual temps now. Haven't found a way to monitor temps in 64-bit mode yet. Will have to see what's going on or if it's nothing to worry about like on my Quad Server that just reports the temps high.

Edit: Loads temps are normal, it's just the idle/low that's high....

Ah ha, okay I see how it was done...think I would need to add the NULLCPUPowerManagement in somehow to bring the idle temps down, anyone know how right off hand?

And yes QE is working perfectly on my 1GB 9500GT. Just idle/low temps being high and ethernet taking ~5-10 seconds after bootup to initialize. Gotta love the quirks that comes with cheap speed!

Still a great job!

DrKrazy-

is QE is working fine? I have a geforce 8600 GTS 256 mb and no luck with the translucent menu bar. There should be a handful of kexts in the extensions.mkext package under Extra. The MKextTool isn't showing them from leopard. The tst one included: ALC889A.fix, Disabler, fakesmc, IOAHCBlockinjector, LegacyJMB36xSATA, and OpenHaltRestart. The packaging mkext, does make it cleaner, but more effort when trying to add kexts or for trouble shooting.

Ah ha, okay I see how it was done...think I would need to add the NULLCPUPowerManagement in somehow to bring the idle temps down, anyone know how right off hand?

And yes QE is working perfectly on my 1GB 9500GT. Just idle/low temps being high and ethernet taking ~5-10 seconds after bootup to initialize. Gotta love the quirks that comes with cheap speed!

Still a great job!

I can add the fixes that need to be there if you're worried about temps. There were no edits to ethernet, that's stock drivers that are being used for that.

If you could manage to control the idle low temps that would be great! I would then call it done for my

needs :-). The ethernet has always been like that on these boards. Temps mean a bit to me as I will eventually

move my Hackintosh Server up to 10.6 with this method hopefully, and it sits idle most of the time and I want it

as cool as possible. Same for this quad I test and work on, like it running cool!

Thanks for all your hardwork!

I can add the fixes that need to be there if you're worried about temps. There were no edits to ethernet, that's stock drivers that are being used for that.

Downloaded, installed, boot 64-bit and made sure everything still worked check!

Booted 32-bit to make sure everything still worked check!

Idle/low temps still reporting the same 55 C compared to my other installation 39 C. 55 just seems to high for idle UNLESS temp monitor is just reporting idle temps wrong...need my laser thermo that's at work!

Full load (10 minute test) still maxes out at 65 C which has always been the case 10.5-10.6.

You made one hell of a package installer there for this board, which is one hell of a board too!

That's why I have two ;-)

Test 3

Edited disabler.kext to disable cpupm and added sleepenabler to enable sleep after disabling cpupm.

Try this DrKrazy.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/4133/EP45UD3P%2...ard%20TEST3.zip

The hardest part is getting audio working on 64bit, the rest so far has been straightforward.

Vanilla audio is possible with the EP45-UD3P for 10.5 through 10.6 using layout-id "66" found in all appleHDAs and an ioreg reported pin config. Line-out is through the green jack in back through all Leopard iterations, and works in 32 and 64 bit Snow. Line-in, digital out (and in from the header with a bracket) are the same. I can't speak to mic (rear jack) nor headphone. It's not the most complete solution but it is "foolproof", completely kextless, and so far update-unbreakable.

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Unicode ("B"), 
                           "device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x11)
                           {
                               "ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x28)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x90, 0xA0, 0x90, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                               /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
                           }))
                   {
                       If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
                       {
                           If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                           {
                               Store (Buffer (One)
                                   {
                                       0x03
                                   }, Arg4)
                               Return (One)
                           }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
                           {
                               Return (One)
                           }
                       }
                   }

Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x00
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (Zero)
               }
           }

Well ... I think that I have faith. Yes faith is what I'm going to call it that it IS possible to install this SOB on an EP45-UD3P but I think that I'm being punished for misdeeds I must have done in a former life. I have been at this for 3-4 days now and I think I have to be missing something simple but I cannot lay my hands on it.

Current Status: Booting to SL on external HD using Stellas installer yields me a nice happy boot untill boom... I lose all video and screen goes black. A similar thing happens to me if I run the install from within 10.5.6 and install to my SL drive and then apply Stellas magic.

So I guess I can be happy that I'm not getting a KP but I'm ultimately no further ahead.

I got a sneaking sensation that I might actually be further ahead than I think I am and only need to overcome this video thing but that's the optimist part of me.

I have a BFG GTX295 (Nvidia) and I'm wondering is that is what is kicking my butt here. I've tried -v "Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32@60" thinking that would get me into VESA mode but I get the same results.

Am I even headed the right direction here?

-Z

[edited - my spelling sux ;) ]

Well ... I think that I have faith. Yes faith is what I'm going to call it that it IS possible to install this SOB on an EP45-UD3P but I think that I'm being punished for misdeeds I must have done in a former life. I have been at this for 3-4 days now and I think I have to be missing something simple but I cannot lay my hands on it.

Current Status: Booting to SL on external HD using Stellas installer yields me a nice happy boot untill boom... I lose all video and screen goes black. A similar thing happens to me if I run the install from within 10.5.6 and install to my SL drive and then apply Stellas magic.

So I guess I can be happy that I'm not getting a KP but I'm ultimately no further ahead.

I got a sneaking sensation that I might actually be further ahead than I think I am and only need to overcome this video thing but that's the optimist part of me.

I have a BFG GTX295 (Nvidia) and I'm wondering is that is what is kicking my butt here. I've tried -v "Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32@60" thinking that would get me into VESA mode but I get the same results.

Am I even headed the right direction here?

-Z

[edited - my spelling sux :) ]

Try dropping the "@60".

It's likely graphics is causing your issue.

"-v" is "verbose mode" during boot.

Try -x to boot into safe mode.

Try dropping the "@60".

It's likely graphics is causing your issue.

"-v" is "verbose mode" during boot.

Try -x to boot into safe mode.

Yeah .. these things seem to have no impact on it either.

-v

-v -x

-v "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

-v -x "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

-v -x "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"

Or just about any other variation on this I can think of seems to yield same result. Clearly SL is pissed about my graphics card and I'm thinking I need to feed it the right info somewhere and things will start getting happier.

I did find this though:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dar winx86.org%2Fguides%2Finstaller-configurer%2F141-gfx-strings-pour-les-gtx-260280://http://translate.google.com/transla...-les-gtx-260280://http://translate.google.com/transla...-les-gtx-260280

Trying to sift through this decide what it means and how to use it and if I need to though is the tricky part.

-Z

I couldn't get my card(quartzExtreme) to be recognized with the DSDT file. I de-compiled (iaslMe) the DSDT (V2) per Stell and removed the graphics part so I could add device-properties (efi string) in the .boot.plist. I can share the plist and new DSDT file if there is interest. You can use OSx86 Tools Utility to grab the EFI string specific to your card.

It looks like it gets a lot more complicated if you are running two cards.

http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/02/snow-leopa...deo-cards-more/

My next steps are to find a solution to missing legacy IDE/ATA. DVD player will not even open with a USB dvd drive. Has anyone seen a UD3P SL success story with this working?

Thanks

Yeah .. these things seem to have no impact on it either.

-v

-v -x

-v "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

-v -x "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

-v -x "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60"

Or just about any other variation on this I can think of seems to yield same result. Clearly SL is pissed about my graphics card and I'm thinking I need to feed it the right info somewhere and things will start getting happier.

I did find this though:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dar winx86.org%2Fguides%2Finstaller-configurer%2F141-gfx-strings-pour-les-gtx-260280://http://translate.google.com/transla...-les-gtx-260280://http://translate.google.com/transla...-les-gtx-260280://http://translate.google.com/transla...-les-gtx-260280://http://translate.google.com/transla...-les-gtx-260280

Trying to sift through this decide what it means and how to use it and if I need to though is the tricky part.

-Z

@Unixman - Thank you for the guide. Very good information.

@Stella - Thanks for the work on the DSDT.aml. I snatched it out of your package and used it on my own installation and it fixed a kernel panic I was having with my Linksys WRT54GS wireless pci card.

@DrKrazy - As for CPU temps. I noticed a +10C when using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on my Q6600 at stock 2.4gHz. So basically between 45 - 50 degrees Celsius when Idle. Thats within spec, but not good long term. I don't think there is any way around that with DSDT or HPET, but I'll do some more research. Meanwhile, I'm using the NullCPU and SleepEnabler kexts and the idle core temps are back to a normal 34/36C.

I'm using Chameleon 2 r640 with netkas PC-EFI 10.1

My Extra/Extensions looks like this:

ALC889a - (Contains just the plist for pinouts, uses native AppleHDA) (I needed this for Mic inputs, but otherwise it's not needed)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector - (To get normal drive icons)

NullCPUPowerManagement - (To block AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)

OpenHaltRestart - (To enable shutdown/restart)

PlatformUUID - (Not sure this is needed after installation - anyone?)

SleepEnabler - (Required if you are using NullCPUPowerManagement)

fakesmc.kext - (A spoof for the SMC monitor on real macs)

Thanks again

@Unixman - Thank you for the guide. Very good information.

@Stella - Thanks for the work on the DSDT.aml. I snatched it out of your package and used it on my own installation and it fixed a kernel panic I was having with my Linksys WRT54GS wireless pci card.

@DrKrazy - As for CPU temps. I noticed a +10C when using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on my Q6600 at stock 2.4gHz. So basically between 45 - 50 degrees Celsius when Idle. Thats within spec, but not good long term. I don't think there is any way around that with DSDT or HPET, but I'll do some more research. Meanwhile, I'm using the NullCPU and SleepEnabler kexts and the idle core temps are back to a normal 34/36C.

I'm using Chameleon 2 r640 with netkas PC-EFI 10.1

My Extra/Extensions looks like this:

ALC889a - (Contains just the plist for pinouts, uses native AppleHDA) (I needed this for Mic inputs, but otherwise it's not needed)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector - (To get normal drive icons)

NullCPUPowerManagement - (To block AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)

OpenHaltRestart - (To enable shutdown/restart)

PlatformUUID - (Not sure this is needed after installation - anyone?)

SleepEnabler - (Required if you are using NullCPUPowerManagement)

fakesmc.kext - (A spoof for the SMC monitor on real macs)

Thanks again

On test 3 I added cpu disabling to "Disabler.kext. PlatformUUID is NOT needed as the built-in ethernet has fixed that.

That will be the last one released. Good day.

-Stell

I took a chance and upgraded a Leopard 10.5.8 install with Stella's Test2 installer and I'm happy to report that everything seems to be dandy. I will report any unexpected behaviour if they occur in the future.

It didn't recognize my pci ethernet at first, but i changed the pci port it was plugged into to the bottom one and it was ok after that.

Here's my hardware info:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P ATX

Processor: 2.66ghz Q9400 Intel Core 2 Quad

Memory: 4GB OCZ DDR2 VU1066MHz

Boot Drive: 500 GB Seagate SATA

DVD Drive: 22x Samsung SATA DVD Burner

Video Card: 512mb eVGA Nvidia 8800GT Superclocked

Ethernet: Edimax EN-9230TX-32

Audio: Terratec Phase26 USB

I couldn't get my card(quartzExtreme) to be recognized with the DSDT file. I de-compiled (iaslMe) the DSDT (V2) per Stell and removed the graphics part so I could add device-properties (efi string) in the .boot.plist. I can share the plist and new DSDT file if there is interest. You can use OSx86 Tools Utility to grab the EFI string specific to your card.

It looks like it gets a lot more complicated if you are running two cards.

http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/02/snow-leopa...deo-cards-more/

My next steps are to find a solution to missing legacy IDE/ATA. DVD player will not even open with a USB dvd drive. Has anyone seen a UD3P SL success story with this working?

Thanks

I would be interested in seeing your DSDT. You say you removed the graphics part and then rely only upon your EFI string for video? Is it possible my problem (getting no video upon booting) is that I have the correct EFI string in my boot.plist but my DSDT does not match?

I've been reading as much as I can this morning about DSDT but I have yet to find THE guide that tells me what I want to know. I'm still at it though and refuse to give up making my BFG GTX-295 work with this board.

-Z

I would be interested in seeing your DSDT. You say you removed the graphics part and then rely only upon your EFI string for video? Is it possible my problem (getting no video upon booting) is that I have the correct EFI string in my boot.plist but my DSDT does not match?

I've been reading as much as I can this morning about DSDT but I have yet to find THE guide that tells me what I want to know. I'm still at it though and refuse to give up making my BFG GTX-295 work with this board.

-Z

Zerix if you are using an Nvidia card with 2 dvi outs you don't need and shouldn't have an EFI string in your com.apple.boot.plist. So try removing that and see what happens.

Zerix if you are using an Nvidia card with 2 dvi outs you don't need and shouldn't have an EFI string in your com.apple.boot.plist. So try removing that and see what happens.

Well ... hmmm ok. I tried that and if different is better then I guess I'm better off... maybe. I do not get a loss of video anymore but now it reaches something like:

“Sound assertion “0 == entry” failed in “/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp” at line 2976 goto Exit”

Along those lines repeated about 10 times and it hangs ... well its not a true hang. Keyboard lights are still there and there is no sign of a KP anywhere but there she sits not doing anything.

researching this now.

-Z

Well ... hmmm ok. I tried that and if different is better then I guess I'm better off... maybe. I do not get a loss of video anymore but now it reaches something like:

“Sound assertion “0 == entry” failed in “/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp” at line 2976 goto Exit”

Along those lines repeated about 10 times and it hangs ... well its not a true hang. Keyboard lights are still there and there is no sign of a KP anywhere but there she sits not doing anything.

researching this now.

-Z

I have a UD3P and a GTX260 working perfectly in SL but it sounds like you are trying handle the video through DSDT? Is there some advantage to this, because it seems to me like it will just end up being a hassle - if you want to replace your graphics card you will have to recompile your DSDT, no? I just did the audio and ethernet in DSDT, put the EFI string for the 260 in c.a.B.plist and done, full support.

Chris3g,

What did you use to find your EFI string for the GTX260?

Thx.

I have a UD3P and a GTX260 working perfectly in SL but it sounds like you are trying handle the video through DSDT? Is there some advantage to this, because it seems to me like it will just end up being a hassle - if you want to replace your graphics card you will have to recompile your DSDT, no? I just did the audio and ethernet in DSDT, put the EFI string for the 260 in c.a.B.plist and done, full support.

Chris3g,

What did you use to find your EFI string for the GTX260?

Thx.

i think it's best if you generate it yourself because if your PCIRoot location is different then someone else's string won't work for you. You can download the gfxutil tool and a plist for the 260 from here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...-les-gtx-260280

and there are also instructions on how to generate a hex string right from gfxutil, or, you can just use " ./gfxutil -f display " to get your PCIRoot location, edit the plist to match, and then use EFI studio to generate the hex string from the plist.

i think it's best if you generate it yourself because if your PCIRoot location is different then someone else's string won't work for you. You can download the gfxutil tool and a plist for the 260 from here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...-les-gtx-260280

and there are also instructions on how to generate a hex string right from gfxutil, or, you can just use " ./gfxutil -f display " to get your PCIRoot location, edit the plist to match, and then use EFI studio to generate the hex string from the plist.

Further down that same page is the link for people with the GTX 295. That is the one I've been trying to use. My latest attempt with to clear just the graphics stuff from Stellas DSDT.aml and then add the EFI string for my graphics card to the com.apple.boot.plist

This still results in total loss of video whilst trying to boot up. :) Booo

I've also tried leaving the graphics stuff in the DSDT.aml and booting with a clean (no EFI strings) com.apple.boot.plist

Same result

More research for me I guess but I'm flat out of ideas as to what sin I must have committed here. I'd quit and give up but now it's gotten personal and I hate losing .. EVER.

-Z

Further down that same page is the link for people with the GTX 295. That is the one I've been trying to use. My latest attempt with to clear just the graphics stuff from Stellas DSDT.aml and then add the EFI string for my graphics card to the com.apple.boot.plist

This still results in total loss of video whilst trying to boot up. :) Booo

I've also tried leaving the graphics stuff in the DSDT.aml and booting with a clean (no EFI strings) com.apple.boot.plist

Same result

More research for me I guess but I'm flat out of ideas as to what sin I must have committed here. I'd quit and give up but now it's gotten personal and I hate losing .. EVER.

-Z

I;m sure you've probably checked this but are you 100% sure you have the string correct? Because that is exactly what happens when the driver is not loading because the string is wrong - total loss of video just as it begins to load the GUI. The first time i tried to set mine up i did something dumb and had the wrong string, i had the same issue and it took me longer than it should have to figure it out :)