HD4870

elastic

92 posts in this topic

i deleted ATIRadeonX2000.kext since netkas said this should be deleted...anyone have a copy?

it's on your snow leo disk /sys/lib/ext/

did you have to delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /s/l/e ? and edit ATI4800Controller.kext ?

or with evoenabler is all you need?

also does evoenabler work in s/l/e? or only in /extra?

deleted and edited nothing just add the modded evoenabler to /extra/extentions and NOT s/l/e

you really should start reading a little bit better because all this was said already. ^_^

System Profiler has my card detected: but when i launch some games/apps, it says "Unable to start up 3D Acceleration"

anyone know how to fix this?

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9440

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

DELL 2709W:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

System Profiler has my card detected: but when i launch some games/apps, it says "Unable to start up 3D Acceleration"

anyone know how to fix this?

well do you have qe/ci in os x?

haven't tried any game so can't tell yet.

well do you have qe/ci in os x?

haven't tried any game so can't tell yet.

yah after i enabled QE/CI looks like everything is A OK!

Does anyone have an ATI 4870 1gb that has 1DVI / 1VGA / 1HDMI port working with DUAL monitors? is there any chance in hell to get dual monitors working with this card? or SL requires 2 DVIs ?

I have an xfx 4870 1 gig. It worked right off the bat with acceleration with aty_init. It also works with evo enabler but the performance is super low - 1600 in ogl extensions viewer. I pulled a 3870 out of this same machine when I updated to SL that got 2100 in ogl extensions viewer. I get about the the same score in 10.5.7 with aty_init. I notice that in system profiler under PCI card Evo enabler show the link speed as 2.5GT/s while my previous install with Natit had 5GT/s. On boot up evo enabler appears once in the startup log saying "evo_enabler probing" Is it supposed to do anything else besides that? I've tried replacing the Dsdt. Didn't change anything all the dev tools report normally AFAIK. Any thoughts on what to try. I know this card should be faster than this.

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Displays:

W2600:

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Name: ATY,Motmot

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1682

Subsystem ID: 0x2445

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

SUCCESS!

(at least, i believe so eheh)

edited EVOenabler.kext info.plist and replaced the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one on ATY_init.kext for HD4870

put it on /Extra/Extensions

activated both ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext

now i have dual DVI and all the goodies working

if anyone wants, i posted the edited EVOenabler.kext

EVOenabler.zip

just tested the setup with apple motion 4, rocking solid for the last hour

hi elastic,

which keys from aty_init do we have to copy to evoenabler?

is it AAPL,EMC-Display-List, ATY,PlatformInfo and ATY,bin_image??

so for me (as i own a hd 4850) i would need to look up these datas in aty_init.kext and insert them in the appropriate places of evoenabler.kext that you posted?

thanks for your help! :(

SUCCESS!

edited EVOenabler.kext info.plist and replaced the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one on ATY_init.kext for HD4870

EVOenabler.zip

MAN! U R THE BEST!!!

THANX!!!

I have an xfx 4870 1 gig. It worked right off the bat with acceleration with aty_init. It also works with evo enabler but the performance is super low - 1600 in ogl extensions viewer. I pulled a 3870 out of this same machine when I updated to SL that got 2100 in ogl extensions viewer. I get about the the same score in 10.5.7 with aty_init. I notice that in system profiler under PCI card Evo enabler show the link speed as 2.5GT/s while my previous install with Natit had 5GT/s. On boot up evo enabler appears once in the startup log saying "evo_enabler probing" Is it supposed to do anything else besides that? I've tried replacing the Dsdt. Didn't change anything all the dev tools report normally AFAIK. Any thoughts on what to try. I know this card should be faster than this.

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Displays:

W2600:

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Name: ATY,Motmot

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1682

Subsystem ID: 0x2445

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

I have same thing. The card works, and it works nice, BUT. run Xbench and I get REAL low score, especially on GPL ( 97 should lay around 217 :) )

Results	182.65	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6 (10A432)
	Physical RAM		6144 MB
	Model		Mac Pro 8.1
	Drive Type		SAMSUNG HD502IJ
CPU Test	168.32	
	GCD Loop	274.27	14.46 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	134.26	3.19 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	112.83	3.72 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	262.62	45.73 Mops/sec
Thread Test	409.88	
	Computation	928.67	18.81 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	262.97	11.31 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	198.75	
	System	270.81	
		Allocate	534.68	1.96 Malloc/sec
		Fill	198.36	9644.67 MB/sec
		Copy	240.02	4957.52 MB/sec
	Stream	156.98	
		Copy	145.81	3011.73 MB/sec
		Scale	147.84	3054.29 MB/sec
		Add	170.17	3625.09 MB/sec
		Triad	167.17	3576.21 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	217.76	
	Line	160.66	10.70 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	219.18	65.44 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	187.72	15.30 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	197.79	4.99 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	558.31	34.93 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	94.97	
	Spinning Squares	94.97	120.47 frames/sec
User Interface Test	304.46	
	Elements	304.46	1.40 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test	77.23	
	Sequential	124.19	
		Uncached Write	155.48	95.46 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	151.97	85.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	77.13	22.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	160.51	80.67 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	56.04	
		Uncached Write	20.21	2.14 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	184.21	58.97 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	97.95	0.69 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	159.58	29.61 MB/sec [256K blocks]

The OpenGL Graphics Test is wy to low, more then half of what it should lay around.

Any ideas on this low part?

I am using the EvoEnabler from this topic, the latest one. My card is 512Mb not 1Gb though. (HF4870 ofcourse if someone is wondering)

ATI Sapphire 4870 512 PCI-E works under Snow Leopard with hex string in plist. But in System Profile it is recognized as ATI 48x0 512 ...

I add string to the 4800 kext but the graphic card is not recognized correctly ...

1. How to find correct ID of the graphic card?

2. Should I add the device id only in the S/L/E ATI4800 kext ?

3. Should I have hex string in boot plist?

tnx dudes

ATI Sapphire 4870 512 PCI-E works under Snow Leopard with hex string in plist.....

I have the same card, but my 4870 won't works under Snow Kitty with string in com.apple.Boot.plist, only with EVOEnabler in /Extra/Extensions/. How did you make this trick???

If your QE/CI is working for your card in 10.6, upgrading to 10.6.1 will not have any negative impact.

thanks! looks like 10.6.1 upgraded perfectly with no issues.

so has anyone gotten dual monitor support working with 4870 card that has 1dvi / 1vga and 1hdmi ports?

Has someone got successful work of 4870 via strings or DSDT, not via EVOEnabler? Help, please, because some strange happens :P In Leo it's OK (injectors, string, DSDT - all works), but in Snow Leo works only injectors. Why?

(sorry for my bad english)

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Am I supposed to put this in a directory? I don't have a folder called "Extensions" in my "Extra" folder :blink:

Am I just supposed to use Kext Helper to install this Evoenabler?

Thanks and sorry if I'm thick about this..too many years on a PC I guess! :rolleyes:

I've got my 4870 working only with EVOEnabler in /Extra/Extensions, not in /S/L/E. So, KextHelper will NOT install EVOEnabler in right place. You'll have to create (if it's not exists) folder Extensions in /Extra and put Evoenabler there manually. No matter what EVO permissions will be in this case

(sorry for my bad english :) )

I've got my 4870 working only with EVOEnabler in /Extra/Extensions, not in /S/L/E. So, KextHelper will NOT install EVOEnabler in right place. You'll have to create (if it's not exists) folder Extensions in /Extra and put Evoenabler there manually. No matter what EVO permissions will be in this case

(sorry for my bad english :) )

Thank you for your help!

OK, so here's what I did

- Created "Extensions" folder in the "Extra" folder

- Put the "Evo***.kext" in the created folder

Now when I boot it just stays on the white screen with the Apple logo and does a bunch of disk access but then nothing. I suspect this has to do with the fact I was running SL with an Nvidia 8800GT 512MB and there are still old drivers (are KEXT files drivers???) in /system/library/extensions

If this is indeed possibly the case, I can access the HD from my Windows install to delete the offending Nvidia drivers but not too sure what to delete, if thats what I should be doing. Would I just look for Kexts that look like they have Nvidia names?

Thank you

YOU'RE THE MAN.YATTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!thank for the EVO!!!now i can boot 64 bit

SUCCESS!

EVOenabler.zip

thanks again!!!

Thank you for your help!

OK, so here's what I did

- Created "Extensions" folder in the "Extra" folder

- Put the "Evo***.kext" in the created folder

Now when I boot it just stays on the white screen with the Apple logo and does a bunch of disk access but then nothing. I suspect this has to do with the fact I was running SL with an Nvidia 8800GT 512MB and there are still old drivers (are KEXT files drivers???) in /system/library/extensions

If this is indeed possibly the case, I can access the HD from my Windows install to delete the offending Nvidia drivers but not too sure what to delete, if thats what I should be doing. Would I just look for Kexts that look like they have Nvidia names?

Thank you

Your step did not indicate if you rebuild your mkext. Did you?

Try booting with -v and see what messages are displayed on the screen.

Try booting with -v and see what messages are displayed on the screen.

Right! clipper99, boot with -v and ensure you dont have "Still waiting for root device" message :) And if all right, reboot with -s swith, check disk by fsck -fy, connect your partition by mount -uw / and delete kextcasche in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Starup. Reboot again with -v and cross your fingers :D

Right! clipper99, boot with -v and ensure you dont have "Still waiting for root device" message :( And if all right, reboot with -s swith, check disk by fsck -fy, connect your partition by mount -uw / and delete kextcasche in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Starup. Reboot again with -v and cross your fingers :D

Nope, thats a negative, and at this point I quit! ;)

At least I have a working 10.5.8 upstairs that I can use if need be for a future attempt but at this point, I've no desire to continue hacking this to get the ATI card to work. FOR THE LOVE OF US NON-TECHNICAL (well, non-MAC technical :) ) USERS, won't someone, pretty pretty PRETTY please make a Lifehacker install method for us ATI users?

With an Nvidia card the Lifehacker method is as easy as it gets!

l8r

out

SUCCESS!

EVOenabler.zip

OMG! I was about to throw the thing out the window. Many unsuccessful attempts to get my XFX HD4870 to work resulted in hours of wasted time and despair, but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :)

So following the instructions I get my main display (connected via DVI) coming up and the secondary display I have connected with a DVI-VGA adapter. During boot, both displays show the Apple logo white screen but when it gets to the desktop the 2nd display shuts down. Is this normal since I'm using an adapter? Will it go away if I get another display with a DVI connector?

Thanks!

I have 4870X2 and Asus P5Q SE. I installed SL. Everything is fine except graphic.

EVOenabler.kext copied to Extra/Extensions folder.

System profiler shows 4870 but cannot change resolution.

photo2vu.jpg

Then installed ATI patch (http://netkas.org/?p=137). But this time SL does not boot. It says "Device in slot: SLOT -1" and stucked.

photoum.jpg

My device ID is 0x9441. I guess EVOenabler and ATI4800controller.kext includes my ID.

I searched many pages and looked netkas but I couldn't find any solution for 2 weeks. Please help me i'm going nuts. What I should to do?

Thanks