HD4870

elastic

92 posts in this topic

Have you tried switching to the next DVI port near the mobo, not sure if that would help though. All i did was about installing netkas 10.3 pc efi, removed device properties from boot.plist, removed evoenabler.kext from the /Extra folder, rebuilt Extensions.mkext with 'rebuildcache' script from digital_dreamer, rebooted and voila, full screen resolution 1680x1050 with qe/ci/etc all enabled.

Removing your graphics card information from the DSDT.aml should probably help as well (same effect as com.apple.boot.plist).

For the record, my graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB model 100259L.

First of all I'd like to thank you.

DVI port was ok. I should try removing card info from DSDT but i don't know where they are.

Could you help me?

Hi @ all !!

First of all: This Board is friggin' awesome !! And no, I haven't got a 3870 anymore xD. I Have a 4870 now (could an admin change my name in HD4870 Gamer plz ?).

I have a little question 'bout the fan speed of my Sapphire HD 4870 512 MB. I can boot SL up properly in 64-Bit and the res. is correct (1680x1050). It does also identify my Samsung SyncMaster properly. My question is now: Isn't that low fan speed totally bad for the GC ? I'm a bit scared of using SL, cuz i don't want that my nearly new Radeon 4870 gets toasted already xDD.

Is it possible to control Fan Speed ? Or could I use the 4870 just with a hex-string in boot.plist ?

THX 4 answers and sorry for my mid-class English xD.

I'm really stuck. EVOEnabler is working but i get no CI/QE, just screen res change. Without it system hangs with graphic card's fan speeding to max rpm and no-signal screen. I have a dual-dvi Sapphire 1gb hd4780 toxic edition. Anyone has a clue? Anyone with a 1 gb 4870 working card with plain 10.3 Graphic enabler can please post his rom/bin_image?

I have Sapphire 4870 1GB Dual DVI and I cannot get CI/QE working. I have installed evoenabler.kext in /Extra and rebuilt mkext using kext utility. I see evoenabler probing during bootup but I don't get CI/QE.

I am running on P5K-Premium. I also have used netkas PC EFI 10.3 boot file with Chameleon RC3 at the same time. With this I see RV770 identified at bootup but still no CI/QE.

I really would like to get this to work with both DVI. Right now one monitor shows up with correct resolution and the other is stuck at 1280x1024, both running in software. Any ideas?

Bruce

I have Sapphire 4870 1GB Dual DVI and I cannot get CI/QE working. I have installed evoenabler.kext in /Extra and rebuilt mkext using kext utility. I see evoenabler probing during bootup but I don't get CI/QE.

I am running on P5K-Premium. I also have used netkas PC EFI 10.3 boot file with Chameleon RC3 at the same time. With this I see RV770 identified at bootup but still no CI/QE.

I really would like to get this to work with both DVI. Right now one monitor shows up with correct resolution and the other is stuck at 1280x1024, both running in software. Any ideas?

Bruce

I got CI/QE working and did not realize. The issue with the second monitor is still there. It is stuck at 1280x800 with no option to change. Anyone have any ideas as to why the second monitor has no other resolutions available? Both are identified correctly in Systems Preferences/Displays

Bruce

I've been fighting for days to get my 4870x2 to work on 6.1 and seem to just not know how to do it. Im using pc-efi and have the 6.1 exotic package from netkas but im totally lost on how to do any kind of modifying of my com.apple.boot.Plist. Im supposed to enable graphics in there i believe. I read that that is how to get it to work unless im wrong or thats outdated now. Do I use textedit or terminal for that? I'm just needing clearer instructions for that level of modding, Im still fairly new at this. Thanks

• 1 month later...
Even after adding the EVOenabler I am still stuck at the gray screen with no spinning clock.

ATI4800Controller did not need editing because the device ID was correct.

Could you list what ATY_init kext are you using for the 4870?

Do you have Natit installed?

Are the ATI2000 kexts all stock from 10.6?

My DSDT file seems good but I have not added the graphics string to smbios.plist�€”is this necessary.

A setp by step guide or a list of the required kexts would really help. Been at this 2 days on and off!

Here is the verbose boot screen. You can see the ATY-init kext load and then there is a message about a base address and then the screen goes and stays gray. Any ideas?

Try with a boot flag -pci1 or -pci0, worked for me( i have the same videocard), and also i didn't have to use any additional kexts(all stock 10.6) :P

• 3 weeks later...

hi

I've got a HIS HD4870 yesterday.

Now i tried to get the card working in snow leopard, but with still some problems.

i reached the following steps:

1. download the evoenabler from this topic

2. put it in e/e

3. reboot - got a white screen

4. deleted the efi string of my old 9800gtx+ from boot plist

5. reboot - same white screen

6. install pc efi 10.3. - still a white screen

7. post my problem here :)

hope you can help me

hack.intosh, now try this:

1. Use Chameleon RC4 or RC3 but with PC EFI 10.5

2. Add following lines to com.apple.boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

3. If you're using RC4 and getting KPs then you must add also

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

4. Make sure that you have your card's ID in info.plist of ATI4800Controller.kext

That's it ! No strings, no additional kexts, no modifications. This works for the Palit in my signature and should work for all 4870s out there.

Good luck, and oh yes, MERRY CRHISTMAS if you celebrate !!!

ok, thanks. i will try these steps later and post the result.

:blink:

merry christmas from Germany ;)

/edit

so at first I use chameleon 2 rc3 with 10.5 efi

then I added the key to the boot plist

I did not make the third step, because I use rc3

I'm not sure what to do with fourth step. in info.plist it says: IOPCIMatch = 0x94401002 0x944a1002

Is this the right one for 4870?

the I tried to reboot, resulting a KP...

so I hope you can fix my problem :(

PS: I did not use any other kext as you said... no evoenabler or others...

ok, thanks. i will try these steps later and post the result.

:)

merry christmas from Germany :)

/edit

so at first I use chameleon 2 rc3 with 10.5 efi

then I added the key to the boot plist

I did not make the third step, because I use rc3

I'm not sure what to do with fourth step. in info.plist it says: IOPCIMatch = 0x94401002 0x944a1002

Is this the right one for 4870?

the I tried to reboot, resulting a KP...

so I hope you can fix my problem :)

PS: I did not use any other kext as you said... no evoenabler or others...

1. you don't need 4th step with rc3

2. look for your IDs in System Profiler.It should look like this:

post-460532-1262078743_thumb.png

as you can see my 0x94401002 match exactly to the present one. If you have something different, add it.

3. by "no additional kexts" i meant those related to the graphics card. others like fakesmc, openhaltrestart etc. must be present.

4. don't know about your KP. Did you put strings in boot.plist ? If your extra folder is on your boot drive (not in efi partition) you should put strings in its com.apple.boot.plist as this Extra folder has priority over /S/L/E. The best thing is to boot with -v and see what causes KP as this my not be related to the graphics at all.

Good Luck !

• 4 weeks later...
hack.intosh, now try this:

1. Use Chameleon RC4 or RC3 but with PC EFI 10.5

2. Add following lines to com.apple.boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

3. If you're using RC4 and getting KPs then you must add also

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

4. Make sure that you have your card's ID in info.plist of ATI4800Controller.kext

That's it ! No strings, no additional kexts, no modifications. This works for the Palit in my signature and should work for all 4870s out there.

Good luck, and oh yes, MERRY CRHISTMAS if you celebrate !!!

not working for me. I'm using Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684 + pc efi 10.5

plus I have EVOenabler (the one posted in this thread) in /E/E, device-id is in ati4800controller, system profiler shows an ati hd4870 card but only with 256MB. max res is 1024x768

dmesg says this about my ati

not loading kext com.apple.kext.ATI4800Controller - not found and kextd not available in early boot

any idea?

• 3 weeks later...
SUCCESS!

(at least, i believe so eheh)

edited EVOenabler.kext info.plist and replaced the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one on ATY_init.kext for HD4870

put it on /Extra/Extensions

activated both ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext

now i have dual DVI and all the goodies working

if anyone wants, i posted the edited EVOenabler.kext

EVOenabler.zip

just tested the setup with apple motion 4, rocking solid for the last hour

Awesome job man. I just got a Sapphire Toxic Vapor-X 4870 1GB, and this worked flawlessly. I usually have to go through hell to get video cards working, but this fix made it really simple. Thank you. All I had to do was:

-Install PC EFI 10.6

-Enable GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.Boot.plist

-Use your evoenabler.kext in the E/E

Flawless ;)

• 5 months later...
I've got my 4870 working only with EVOEnabler in /Extra/Extensions, not in /S/L/E. So, KextHelper will NOT install EVOEnabler in right place. You'll have to create (if it's not exists) folder Extensions in /Extra and put Evoenabler there manually. No matter what EVO permissions will be in this case

(sorry for my bad english :) )

Commandor:

I also do not have a folder /Extra/Extensions Folder. If I go in and add the folder /Extensions to the /Extra folder my system then hangs on boot. If the folder is deleted, the system again starts as normal. This is all done previous to adding ANY content to the folder /Extensions.

Any suggestions?

Also this was done on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P using "Stell's Blog" Installer.