How to: ATI 4850 working on SL

scorcho

197 posts in this topic

Ok I too am trying to get my Powercolor HD4850 running in SL 10.6.2

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32"</string>

This I think should be:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>

I could be wrong as I'm new to all this anyway but it may work for you. Different systems and all that.

I found a workaround for installing Logic 9 which is why I needed QI/CE recognised in the first place.

I still don't have QI/CE working but it don't matter as long as I can make music.

Now the only hassle I have is having to type in "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" at every boot.

Edit: Looks like I had a small typo and it now boots at 1280x1024. Make sure you leave a gap between "Graphics Mode"

My com.apple.boot.plist :

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>chocolate_kernel</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

This I think should be:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

I could be wrong as I'm new to all this anyway but it may work for you. Different systems and all that.

I found a workaround for installing Logic 9 which is why I needed QI/CE recognised in the first place.

I still don't have QI/CE working but it don't matter as long as I can make music.

Now the only hassle I have is having to type in "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" at every boot.

Edit: Looks like I had a small typo and it now boots at 1280x1024. Make sure you leave a gap between "Graphics Mode"

My com.apple.boot.plist :

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>chocolate_kernel</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

IIRC either format "should" work but there have been reports of success either method but not necessarily both on a specific system.

I removed the string from my plist and now my Chameleon boot screen is at a lower default res so it was at least setting the res for the chameleon boot screen...

Just curious, What is the "chocolate_kernel" string for? and also the PciRoot key and string?

BTW I am using the top (furthermost from mobo) DVI o/p via a DVI>VGA adaptor. My Screen has DVI in but I run a KVM box that only supports VGA.

I'll test direct DVI out and also see what if any o/p I get from the second (lower) o/p

Oh and I can confirm QI/CE is functional as I have the transparent menu bar (or what ever Mac call it) and I get the funky ripple effect when I add a widget to the dashboard

Guys I have a 4850 and the retail SL cd. When I try to boot off it, my screen gets garbled. Any ideas?

first off, try booting with the -x (safe mode) to see if you can get that far... then you can try some of the ideas/options in this thread.

I am troubleshooting my Powercolor HD4850 at the moment and have had some success.. refer above.

EDIT - All tests done hot swap and reboot.

So to summarise

Upper port - DVI>VGA adapter gives max res of 1600x1200 and QE/CI (It seems the DVI>VGA adaptor kills the WS resolution support for some reason)

Upper port - DVI>DVI gives max res of 1920x1080 and QE/CI

Lower port - DVI>VGA adapter gives max res of 1920x1080 and QE/CI (if you boot on top port and hot swap to lower adapter gives "noise" and also stops my monitor from switching back to the DVI input for some reason )

Lower port - DVI>DVI gives max res of 1920x1080 and QE/CI

I'd call that SUCCESS! :smoke::)

post-565077-1268529511_thumb.jpg

This is somehow off topic but in a way related to the ATI video graphics adapter. Would I have a problem if I want to install a mac os on my desktop computer and my video card is an ATI 4670 HD Video Graphics Adapter? Do I need to have an nvidia graphics card in order for this os to work?

This is somehow off topic but in a way related to the ATI video graphics adapter. Would I have a problem if I want to install a mac os on my desktop computer and my video card is an ATI 4670 HD Video Graphics Adapter? Do I need to have an nvidia graphics card in order for this os to work?

No you don't need an Nvidea card and your success of booting MacOsx on Windows hardware is very much determined by your hardware combination.

Check the very informative Wiki HCL lists for reports on your specific bits of kit (motherboard, gfx cards etc) thats how I (and probably most) got started. Google OSx86 HCL (hardware compatibility lists). The 4850's are a bit more troublesome than other models from what I have read on these forums.

Every revision of OSX has its own HCL page.

OSX86 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) HCL:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL

You may not see your hardware in the lists but that just means someone has not posted a success or fail report yet, give it a go anyway. I'm still new at this so thats as much as I can help. Also 'search' is your best friend on these forums

Good Luck.

Guys I have a 4850 and the retail SL cd. When I try to boot off it, my screen gets garbled. Any ideas?

*try switching to the other GPU output slot on the card (I think the output nearest the mainboard is the one to use AFAIK)

*try plugging the other output on your card with a spare dvi-vga adapter

*try booting in safe mode -x

Just curious, What is the "chocolate_kernel" string for?

I used the iPortable Snow Leopard installation (I have a Retail SL disc but was unable to get that to work via several methods) and that loads a chocolate_kernel (instead of vanilla etc) as default.

...and also the PciRoot key and string?

Not sure about any of the other options, they were in the file already. I just added the Graphics Mode key and string.

BTW I am using the top (furthermost from mobo) DVI o/p via a DVI>VGA adaptor. My Screen has DVI in but I run a KVM box that only supports VGA.

I'll test direct DVI out and also see what if any o/p I get from the second (lower) o/p

I have read that thats best supposedly (output closest to mainboard), may not make any difference though.

Oh and I can confirm QI/CE is functional as I have the transparent menu bar (or what ever Mac call it) and I get the funky ripple effect when I add a widget to the dashboard

Nice glad to hear it works properly for some...I can't launch the chess thing so I guess that means no QI/CE for sure on my system so far.

I have a sapphire 4850 and I really can't get it working. I just updated to 10.6.2 and I get the garbled screen like when I was running 10.6.0 and hadn't applied the first method to enable QE/CI.

I think I messed up my stock kexts if someone could link me to theirs that would be helpful :wacko:

first off, try booting with the -x (safe mode) to see if you can get that far... then you can try some of the ideas/options in this thread.

I am troubleshooting my Powercolor HD4850 at the moment and have had some success.. refer above.

EDIT - All tests done hot swap and reboot.

So to summarise

Upper port - DVI>VGA adapter gives max res of 1600x1200 and QE/CI (It seems the DVI>VGA adaptor kills the WS resolution support for some reason)

Upper port - DVI>DVI gives max res of 1920x1080 and QE/CI

Lower port - DVI>VGA adapter gives max res of 1920x1080 and QE/CI (if you boot on top port and hot swap to lower adapter gives "noise" and also stops my monitor from switching back to the DVI input for some reason )

Lower port - DVI>DVI gives max res of 1920x1080 and QE/CI

I'd call that SUCCESS! :smoke::wacko:

Hi, Richdave, did you ever try to launch iMovie? I have a PowerColor HD4850 too. I followed your procedure and got working screen res. as yours. Except one thing, when I launched iMovie, I got an error that indicated my card lacked QE support. What a pity....

Hi, Richdave, did you ever try to launch iMovie? I have a PowerColor HD4850 too. I followed your procedure and got working screen res. as yours. Except one thing, when I launched iMovie, I got an error that indicated my card lacked QE support. What a pity....

been away so sorry for late reply. I'll check this and post result

I don't seem to have iMovie installed?? is this parts of a standard install or is it an option at installation? I did not install ANY extras when I installed my SL.

Never mind... it's an additional software suite that I don't own...

• 2 weeks later...

http://netkas.org/

"known issues:

readeon 4830/4850 – new framebuffer has same problem as leopard’s – inability to work without dvi2vga dongle in second port, to fix it – use 10.6.2 framebuffer, to do it – make backups of the following kexts before update:ATI4800Controller.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

Restore there kexts from backup after update and before reboot, or, if you already rebooted after update – use dvi2vga dongle to get display, and replace those files.

Backup AppleHDA.kext before update, you might need the old one after update if sound will not work. alc889a known to work ok with 10.6.3"

My VisionTek HD4850 works flawlessly DVI&DVI or HDMI or VGA using 10.6.2 kext as listed and this one LegacyATI4800Controller.kext in the S/L/E ,PC EFI V 10.6, com.apple.boot.plist including: <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

;) Thanks to netkasHD4850.jpg

So you're basically saying that I need to use the old 10.6.2 kexts named

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

to get my card working again? That's fugly at best, why even update if you c&p the old stuff back in again afterwards?

10.6.3 for me:

Samsung 943NW (VGA only) over DVI2VGA dongle in the second port works fine (running x64 kernel, full vanilla 10.6.3 kexts, full QE/CI on GV-R485OC-1GH, Asus P6T SE MoBo with specific DSDT, removed ATI4500Controller and ATI4600Controller kexts, Chameleon 2rc3+PCEFI 10.6, Graphics Enabler=Yes) aside from the fact that I have to use SwitchResX – without it I can’t select the native res of 1440*900, instead I see strange resolutions like 1440*1050. Systems sleeps but wakes up to garbage with a low resolution (640*480) - even with repost video after S3 resume enabled in BIOS. Would gladly take a hint to these issues. Anyone?

If I try to only use vanilla 10.6.3 kexts I end up with a kernel panic about AtiRadeonX2000.kext (using latest EFI from Netkas). If I use the good old evoenabler I end up with a screen full of garbage.

Can anyone please upload ATI4800Controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2 so that I can give it a try with the old versions? Thanks in advance!

If I try to only use vanilla 10.6.3 kexts I end up with a kernel panic about AtiRadeonX2000.kext (using latest EFI from Netkas). If I use the good old evoenabler I end up with a screen full of garbage.

Can anyone please upload ATI4800Controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2 so that I can give it a try with the old versions? Thanks in advance!

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

LegacyATI4800Controller.kext

video.zip

ALL go in the Systems/Library/Extensions and use kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild mkext, using netkas PC EFI V 10.6.Tested others versions of Chameleon and they will not work unless you swap the "netkas boot" its what engages the 4800 with "GraphicsEnabler with Yes" using either the edit in the plist on the controller or simply using the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext to inject the cards ID string automatically.

Sadly these kexts don't work either. Thank you very much for uploading them, however. If I use them only with GraphicsEnabler=Yes I end up in a kernel panic from good old AtiRadeonX2000.kext, if I try to use evoenabler again I have garbage all over my screen but no kernel panic. Very frustrating. Any hints?

Note: I only managed to get my ATI 4850 working using evoenabler with 10.6. The other methods never worked for me, but now that evoenabler is broken, too, I'm stuck.

Did you use the Kext Utilitly?

Evoenabler also works with my card but not nearly as well and can't do DVI&DVI.

I used the ATI drivers package on 10.6.0 but thats also not as good.

Using app glview320 will show what your able to do with your card.

Try booting in safe mode -x and install the ATI driver pkg

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

note* running all 64bit

HD4850 was purchased over one year and has DVI and DVI output with included HDMI and VGA dongle

I beleave its different than anything I currently see on the market.

Goodluck

I now (somehow) got my card working again with evoenabler and your old 10.6.2 kexts (thanks again very much for uploading them!). However, after a while working with the new shiny 1920x1200 I had a screen filled with colored tiny dots (like a HD version of what we used to see on our TV screens if the sat was out of range or something...). Had to hard-reset. I'll try working on a solution that does not require evo*.

after a while working with the new shiny 1920x1200 I had a screen filled with coloured tiny dots (like a HD version of what we used to see on our TV screens if the sat was out of range or something...). Had to hard-reset. I'll try working on a solution that does not require evo*.

I get this if I hot swap from the upper to the lower DVI port. I now run the lower DVI and it is fine from cold boot and stable. You may have to use the upper port... Try both and see which will give best results

Guest PeterJones1

Bought an ATI 4850 video card and expected a much better frame rate than with my ATI X1950Pro. BUT it´s not! Frame rate is just a bit higher, always less than 20 frames in areas with about 10-30 avs around. Tried all possible settings. Graphic settings from LOW to ULTRA .... performance should be much much better. I only use a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024. I carefully read about some tricks to increase the frame rate with disabling OPEN GL VBO, AA, AF and some shaders ... well: improves SL a bit. However: WHAT THE HELL is wrong ?!?!?! Tested all display drivers from version 8.8 to 8.10beta .... always the same.

I only noticed one thing: Opened the texture console (CTRL-SHIFT-3) and watched. Result: FRAME RATE INCREASES RAPIDLY WHEN ALL TEXTURES ARE LOADED!!! The problem is: in busy areas textures never stop loading. So what´s wrong?

By the way: Have Vista and XP installed - same result in both environments.

What game?

I get very similiar performance in working games on Windows and OSX, OSX just a few fps slower.

Im using 10.6.3 with EvoEnabler from the 10.6.2 taht i was using and, i added my 4850 device ID to the 10.6.3 ATi4800controller.kext. And it works fine.

Hi, I have the default retail 10.6 but when I try to update it with the combo 10.6.3 update my sistem don't work.

After update but before restart I have replaced this Hangten files:

ATI4800Controller.kext (I have modified info.plist with my dev-id)

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

The only thing that I forgot to do was repair permissions before rebooting, and now by typing -v -x don't work..

I tried to repair permissions from another partition with the retail 10.6 but disk utility will not let me do it..

Does it boot into Chameleon? Then kernel panics?

Try adding:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x</string>

to com.apple.boot.plist

Also:Remove SleepEnabler.kext if you use it, this is very important step, old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic.

I use Transmac or Macdrive to get into the Mac side from Windows7. Google it to find (30 day trial).

Hope you fix it, good luck.

Hi Hangten,

Yes, I boot with Chameleon but I don't have a panic, I have a timeout..?!

I installed Snow Leopard also on a USB Stick to test the update before compromise the installation on the HDD.

And I'm waiting to "touch" the HDD installation because I want to solve first this problem and see that everything works.

[before I update with the combo 10.6.3, the 10.6 on my USB Stick works ok like on my HDD!]

The only kext in use after the update are:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

SMBIOSResolver.kext

Before the update installation I have removed some not essential kext:

EvOreboot.kext

AppleHDA.kext

After the update installation I have replaced your files:

ATI4800Controller.kext (I have modified info.plist with my dev-id)

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

But I forgot to repair permissions before I restarted my PC..

So I have used the Snow Leopard Retail DVD to repair it after.

The timeout is:

USBF: ..."number"... APPLEUSBECHI[0Xffffff80091a4000] : :FOUND A TRANSICTION PAST THE COMPLETION DEADLINE ON BUS 0xfd, timing out! (Add r:2,EP:1) etc..

Other info..:

- I have tried the "com.apple.boot.plist" mod "-x" but nothing has changed

- GraphicsEnabler is set on "Yes"

- I know problems of sleepenabler but I don't need it so I'm not using it.

- Kernel now is set on 32bit but before I install the update it work at 32bit and also at 64bit.

See you here "tomorrow".. here are the 3:00am :D

Thanks for the help

Supernova