IOATAFamily.kext KP

TWR

24 posts in this topic

as the topic title says, some (many ?) users are facing an early boot KP with SL, related to IOATAFamily.kext.

so far it seems that PIIXATA plugin loading results in KP just after reporting that the "Secondary PCI IDE Channel is disabled", either it's turned off from BIOS or it ain't any secondary PATA controller on the mobo.

quite often, the modified kext released by netkas on is blog doesn't solve the issue, unfortunately ...

I'm not sure it can help, but establishing the link in all cases might help ... or not ...

Hi,

i had similar problems and was able to boot in 32bit mode using the following kext

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

it is for Leopard but works very fine under SL in 32bit.

much luck

greetings

URBANsUNITED

Thanks URBANsUNITED.

I have no problem in -x32 mode.Therefore under 64 bit my ATA optic CD/DVD is not recognised at all. :welcomeani:

I think TWR is right and I join his analysis in Post #1.

Exactly TWR, what I mean. In fact, I'm not alone :)

64 bit is stupid anyway, the 64 bit programs still run in 64 bit when in 32 bit mode. Apple says it best:

The 32-bit kernel fully supports 64-bit applications, all system libraries that 64-bit applications use are fully 64-bit, and 64-bit applications have a full 64-bit virtual address space of 16 exabytes available to them on Mac OS X. The primary benefit of a 64-bit kernel is to improve the efficiency of accessing over 32GB of RAM.

Do you have 32GB of RAM? Bet not, use 32 bit (-x32).

There are not 32gb of programs for the macintosh.

maybe it's "stupid" as you say, but some of us want a stable 64-bit SL nonethless !

value judgement appart, the challenge looks interesting by itslef, in my case, alongside the quest for the most retail hackOS X (so far Darwin folder with DSDT.aml, boot.plist and a few kexts to get a stable 10.5 ...)

of course we could buy a real Mac, but sometimes we don't want to, sometimes we can't afford it.

anyway, looking at the 10.6 PIIXATA source code might be usefull, if it's relaesed some day ...

well i had the ioata kp too...fixed it by replacing snows ioata with ioatafamily.kext from my 10.5.6 iPc DVD....and added legacyappleintelPIIXATA.kext to S/L/E on my snow installation. Then I reboot. That got my sata hd recognized, no more still waiting for root device, but i still haven't been able to boot into snow....i get an acpi_smc error appleintelcpu timeout and it just hangs there...this is on my ud3p...i used the guide over at infinitemac...

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

so far it seems that PIIXATA plugin loading results in KP just after reporting that the "Secondary PCI IDE Channel is disabled", either it's turned off from BIOS or it ain't any secondary PATA controller on the mobo.

I have the same problem. any help it's really welcome :)

as the topic title says, some (many ?) users are facing an early boot KP with SL, related to IOATAFamily.kext.

quite often, the modified kext released by netkas on is blog doesn't solve the issue, unfortunately ...

I'm not sure it can help, but establishing the link in all cases might help ... or not ...

Up...Any help, please? :unsure:

Try using the kext from post #3 in /Extra/Extensions, and remove IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions on Snow Leo partition.

Worked for me.

(BTW, can Disabler.kext be configured to disable the "built-in" IOATAFamily.kext, while still allowing the one in /Extra/Extensions to load?)

Try using the kext from post #3 in /Extra/Extensions, and remove IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions on Snow Leo partition.

Worked for me.

(BTW, can Disabler.kext be configured to disable the "built-in" IOATAFamily.kext, while still allowing the one in /Extra/Extensions to load?)

Thanks kvik...As I said, I've no problem with modified "ioata" in -x32 mode, but I would like to be fixed in x64 mode. Hope to see soon SL sources. :)

Thanks kvik...As I said, I've no problem with modified "ioata" in -x32 mode, but I would like to be fixed in x64 mode. Hope to see soon SL sources. :unsure:

I see. I'm on a regular Core Duo, so -x32 is the only way for me anyways. :D

64 bit is stupid anyway, the 64 bit programs still run in 64 bit when in 32 bit mode. Apple says it best:

Do you have 32GB of RAM? Bet not, use 32 bit (-x32).

There are not 32gb of programs for the macintosh.

WOWZER - you're being harsh. You see I agree with you 100% but I wouldn't be so bold as to say "it's stupid." Please people, throw away all those 64bit assumptions gathered from the windows linux camp. This is Mac OS Mach kernel. It's a whole different animal - pun intended.

This is not Windows. The 32bit kernel Darwin kernel is far more versatile in handling more than 4gbytes of RAM and running 64bit native apps. Windows microkernel cannot do this. Though both are mach hybrid kernel, the windows kernel handles memory like a monolithic linux kernel.

Sure Apple includes the ability to launch in 64bit mode but this it is not ready for primetime yet. It is specifically geared for a very limited hardware type and limited run. Overtime we will see the need to use the 64bit kernel but for no

I did not see any advantage by using it. I have played with it and I can tell you that 32bit is faster, it's more stable, and unless I could install 32 gbytes of RAM I doubt I would see any significant gains. There are major downsides to using 64bit. My system RAM is eaten up dramatically and applications seem to take up a tad bit more resources.

WOWZER - you're being harsh. You see I agree with you 100% but I wouldn't be so bold as to say "it's stupid." Please people, throw away all those 64bit assumptions gathered from the windows linux camp. This is Mac OS Mach kernel. It's a whole different animal - pun intended.

This is not Windows. The 32bit kernel Darwin kernel is far more versatile in handling more than 4gbytes of RAM and running 64bit native apps. Windows microkernel cannot do this. Though both are mach hybrid kernel, the windows kernel handles memory like a monolithic linux kernel.

Sure Apple includes the ability to launch in 64bit mode but this it is not ready for primetime yet. It is specifically geared for a very limited hardware type and limited run. Overtime we will see the need to use the 64bit kernel but for no

I did not see any advantage by using it. I have played with it and I can tell you that 32bit is faster, it's more stable, and unless I could install 32 gbytes of RAM I doubt I would see any significant gains. There are major downsides to using 64bit. My system RAM is eaten up dramatically and applications seem to take up a tad bit more resources.

excellent info! thanks

Well some good news.

Apple has released 10.6 sources.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-106/

and they include AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext, the 2 offending kexts, so hopefully someone who knows what they are doing can find a quick solution.

Thanks timmyj9.

Found THIS elsewhere in the SL forum. Supposedly a SL version of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext that won't cause KPs. My understanding is that AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is the problem as a plug-in to IOATAFamily.kext, they aren't "two offending" kexts. This is just what I've read though, I haven't tried installing SL.

For some of us Laptop users, just a deletion of the IOATAFamily.kext has worked for me. I could not get around the error, and it drove me crazy for about 4 hours. Tried all different kernel flags to no avail. Up and running now on Gateway laptop, still working on audio though.

(semi-OT)

in SL i have problems accessing my second SATA hard drive. Opening applications like Safari within the system partly permits loading parts of the second HDD, other times it acts like "halted".

ideas anyone? thx