Bonjour Networking with Realtek drivers & ifconfig workaround for Snow Leopard

blackosx

152 posts in this topic

15th October 2009

I have re-written this first post to show where this thread is at and the bonjour options available for Snow Leopard..

To outline, I use the GA-EP45-DS3L which uses the Realtek 8111C Chipset and I started this thread back in August as I couldn't get Bonjour networking functioning with the RealtekR1000.kext from /Extra with the kernel running in either 32-bit an 64-bit mode. I build my systems without touching the retail install and anything I need to add for my system goes in to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

LATEST!

Bonjour now confirmed as working from S/L/E with a 64-bit kext developed by Bit Shoveler and now wrapped in to an auto-installer by Weaksauce12.

There have been reports of using this kext can result in your networking taking a performance hit. If this is the case then see this post by RickyTan.

I can now say that for me either of the following options work:

• Sonotone's package installer to automatically install Daniel U Becker's ifconfig and a startupitem to run it when booting.

• Adding Bitshovelers RealtekR1000SL.kext in to /E/E along with IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E, in to /E/E. For this option to work, you need to edit each of the kext's info.plist and change the OSBundleRequired key/string from Network-Root to Root. (Thanks d00d).

Previous status...

Bonjour with Realtek driver works ONLY with the kernel running in 32-bit mode.

Attempts to contact Realtek via email for a 64-bit driver have been made.

Bonjour works with the ifconfig method with the kernel running in both 32-bit & 64-bit mode.

Timeline of solutions in this thread (Ordered by most recent first)

3rd November 2009

NEW - Weaksauce12 has confirmed Bit Shoveler's 64-bit kext as working and has wrapped the kext in to an auto installer.

3rd November 2009

Z4g0r brought to my attention that Bit Shoveler has developed a 64-bit Realtek Snow Leopard kext. Which I tried from E/E but couldn't get it to work.

29th October 2009

Sonotone has put togther a package installer for installing ifconfig and a startupitem so you no longer need to store your password as plaintext. It also has the option of installing for your adapter on en0, en1 or en2.

27th October 2009

Weaksauce12 wrapped the ifconfig command & Scorcho's applescript in to an application, which after an initial edit, can be added in to the Applications folder and set to auto run at login.

1st September 2009

Eliade created and posted a script using LoginHook to allow ifconfig to be run from startup.

31st August 2009

Scorcho created and posted an applescript to allow ifconfig to be run from startup.

31st August 2009

ifconfig Workaround works with Snow Leopard with the kernel running both 32-bit & 64-bit mode.

Thorias posted a workaround by Daniel U. Becker which uses a rebuilt ifconfig command to force the NIC in to promiscuous mode. Note: you can't use ifconfig supplied by Apple, you need this rebuilt version. Run it with the command in the Read Me and it will activate Bonjour Networking with the kernel in both 32bit & 64bit mode.

Incase the original webpage ever goes offline, I have saved Daniel U. Becker's webpage as a webarchive along with the original binary and sources, zipped it up and posted it below.

30th August 2009

New Realtek drivers: RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg work with Snow Leopard with the kernel running in 32-bit mode only.

Markus23 posted a link to the new Realtek drivers and gave warning that when installing it will overwrite your original AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext. Note: download this with a browser other than Safari (thanks rocksteady).

25th August 2009

The RealtekR1000.kext works with Snow Leopard with the kernel running in 32-bit mode only.

sk1nhd33t showed it working from either /Extra or /S/L/E, and I posted how I used this to get it working on my system.

Daniel_U_Becker_s_Page_and_Files.zip

Is it the only kext you're trying to get working from E/E? If so, you need to make an Extensions.mkext including all the kexts in /S/L/E as well and put it in Extra. Then change Extra/Extensions to Extra/AdditionalExtensions or something like that. Snow Leopard doesn't correctly load kexts from E/E without being in a mkext file.

I use the GA-EP45-DS3L which uses the Realtek 8111C Chipset.

For 10.5.8 I use Psystars' RealtekR1000.kext to enable bonjour networking and to get it working from /E/E I copied IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E in with it to /E/E. Easy!

But can I get it work from /E/E with 10.6? nope... neither 32-bit or 64-bit.

If anybody has any suggestion and can throw some light on this situation then I would like to hear it.

Reset CMOS?

Take out the battery.

Use the correct realtek 64 bit kext from my megapost

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1233973

Guest easysleazy
FYI, Your 64 bit R1000 kext doesn't work for me in x64 mode even with manual ip settings...

Who can recompile Psystars' RealtekR1000.kext 32/64 bit?

Thanx in advance.

For All the people that think they need 64 bit and are pullin hairs over bad realtekr1000 kexts and KP only in 64 bit mode. Read what Apple Says about the 64 bit:

The 32-bit kernel fully supports 64-bit applications, all system libraries that 64-bit applications use are fully 64-bit, and 64-bit applications have a full 64-bit virtual address space of 16 exabytes available to them on Mac OS X. The primary benefit of a 64-bit kernel is to improve the efficiency of accessing over 32GB of RAM.

Do you have 32gb of ram? If not, 64 bit is garbage for your purposes. All the mac apps in the world would not add up to 32 gb's.

If you still want ethernet in 64bit, you need to take the modded dsdt ethernet route, heard of success. Or keep trying with manual ip settings. Farx, the realtek driver that has been making the Snow Leopard rounds is already 64bit, its just shotty.

Thanks for the input everybody.

I understand the 64-bit RealtekR1000 has issues and I to be honest that's fine with me. But I started this thread saying I can't get it working in 32-bit either from /E/E.

I have Ethernet working through DSDT and it works a treat, but Bonjour doesn't. It didn't either in 10.5.X, unless I added the RealtekR1000.kext to /E/E and also included IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E in to /E/E with it.

So has anybody got the RealtekR1000.kext to work (enabling Bonjour - iTunes sharing etc) from only /E/E using SL 32-bit kernel? I can get it to load but it I can't read another iTunes library a different machine, but that machine can see the library on my Snow Leopard system.

For All the people that think they need 64 bit and are pullin hairs over bad realtekr1000 kexts and KP only in 64 bit mode. Read what Apple Says about the 64 bit:

Do you have 32gb of ram? If not, 64 bit is garbage for your purposes. All the mac apps in the world would not add up to 32 gb's.

Not entirely true. With 64 bit you can access data files which are bigger then 4Gb. Also what about people who have 6Gb!

Not entirely true. With 64 bit you can access data files which are bigger then 4Gb. Also what about people who have 6Gb!

Falsehood. Stop smoking. I have been burning 7gb 360 games for years on my mac. The 8gb memory cap in Leopard was uncapped in 32bit Snow Leopard too.

"can access data files which are bigger then 4Gb" = NTFS's advantage over FAT32 for Windoze

Filesystems and an OS's memory capacity are two separate things.

When they say memory in relation to a computer, they don't mean hard drive space.

So has anybody got the RealtekR1000.kext to work (enabling Bonjour - iTunes sharing etc) from only /E/E using SL 32-bit kernel? I can get it to load but it I can't read another iTunes library a different machine, but that machine can see the library on my Snow Leopard system.

working fine in here but only in 32bit, also works on either e/e or s/l/e. got the kext directly from psystar's website.

post-345318-1251216915_thumb.png

working fine in here but only in 32bit, also works on either e/e or s/l/e. got the kext directly from psystar's website.

Great. Bonjour now works on my 32-bit system too.

Thanks for your screengrab, I realised I wasn't using an Extensions.mkext.

So I built one with the following Terminal command (Note: I have Chameleon installed on a separate Volume named Cham)

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions

which gave me a 30.2MB Extensions.mkext in /Extra

I now have iTunes library sharing and it sees my iPhone.

So thanks sk1nhd33t :unsure:

post-331032-1251238675_thumb.png

It turns out bonjour isn't working for me... Did you just take the RealtekR1000.kext and the 10.6 /S/L/E/IONetworking.kext and put it into /Extra then remake the mkext?

I just added the Realtek driver in to /Extra/Extensions.

Then set owner:group for my 'Cham' volume to root:wheel and fix permissions (kextcache won't work properly if this isn't done)

then run the kextcache command.

I didn't touch the IONetworking.kext as when this kextcache command runs it caches all the kexts from both /E/E and /S/L/E.

Hi Blackosx, can you address this OSBundle thing that you allude to? I haven't seen that and don't know what it is. Thanks.

Hi BJMoose :unsure:

Yes, it about editing a kext's info.plist (Right click on kext, show package contents, edit info.plist inside contents folder).

Then find the <key>OSBundleRequired</key> and setting the <string></string> to Root. This means that the kext will be loaded with root privileges and hopefully force the kext to load.. (so it will look like this)

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

However, this is a last resort to use as potentially it's bad thing to give root privileges to items that aren't supposed to have them.

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

However, this is a last resort to use as potentially it's bad thing to give root privileges to items that aren't supposed to have them.

Hi Blackosx, Thanks for the response...along with all of your sharing in your tutorials. I have a Gigabyte EX58 mb as mentioned in my sig. All has been working great in SL with the exception of getting my LAN to work. I tried all of the flavors of RealtekR1000 and got no joy. This really frustrated me and I was ready to make my system 'un-vanilla' by adding my RealtekR1000.kext to the SLE folder. But that didn't work either.

hysterical.gif Turns out, after all that, it's my LAN on my mb that's fried. I never even thought to try that since it worked in Windows 7 just yesterday. I never went back into Windows on that system since I spent all my time trying to fix the LAN connection on SL drive. After checking all the other systems I have that are connected to the same router, I tried Windows 7 again and discovered that some time between yesterday AM and PM, that LAN just won't work.

Called newegg this morning and ordered a new EX58-UD5 mb. The are pretty good about RMA'ing stuff as long as you keep the box etc. So I guess I'll have to wait to try all this in a couple of days.

Something to think about though...I wonder if all this changing systems from W7 to Leopard to Snow Leopard with different boot files (10, 10.1, 10.2), along with the 32bit boot in Leopard, could have damaged my LAN...or was it just mb that was ready to day from the get go? Only had it for less than a month.

What a nightmare!... :)

I don't often hear of a fried ports these days.. But I wouldn't have thought that changing your systems would cause it, but you never know? I sometimes wonder about my CPU/mobo/PSU etc when I reboot for the 20th time in a row when I am testing etc..

What a nightmare!... ;)

I don't often hear of a fried ports these days.. But I wouldn't have thought that changing your systems would cause it, but you never know? I sometimes wonder about my CPU/mobo/PSU etc when I reboot for the 20th time in a row when I am testing etc..

Well it would have been a much bigger nightmare if it were my only system. Fortunately, I have several pretty current systems to play around with. This was the only one that I was going to have SL on for the time being. But I'm guessing the my ep45-dq6 will take similar kexts. Anyway, now that I know it's my LAN on my mb, I'm psyched about getting the new one with 100% vanilla.

Then I'll work on going everything 64bit (when the proper 64bits are available). As for the argument about 64bit not being worthwhile...I just want to be able to do it because I can. Thanks again.

EDIT: Next stop is to try to digest your thread on DSDT. I have already created my own EX58-UD4P .aml using DSDT Patcher, but I want to learn how to build that AND add the CMOS fix into it.