Opinion/Advice Wanted

14 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted people opinions. Im looking into Buying a new Laptop and Im stuck between choices.

What do you think is better:

Dell Inspiron 6400 - £600

15.4 inch Widescreen WXGA (1280x800)

Intel® Core™ Processor Duo T 2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) Centrino

Intel® GMA 950 shared graphics memory up to 128MB

512MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x256)

Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Integrated 24xCDRW/8x DVD Combo Drive

15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800)

60GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

Macbook WHITE - £700

13.3 inch Widescreen Display

1280x800 Resolution

1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB (2 x 256MB SO-DIMMS) 667 DDR 2

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA

Slot-loading Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

If I bought the Dell Inspiron 6400 I would like to put a copy of Mac OSX x86 on it.

If I bought the Macbook I would use Bootcamp to Install Microsoft Windows XP.

Could you please post your thoughts as to what I should buy. Thanks!

Could someone also please tell me how MacOSXx86 would run on the Dell if anyone knows this.

Thanks!

Go for the MacBook. It's about the same price and same specs as the Dell, but you'll be much happier with OS X and Boot Camp.

It's worth the extra money. Plus the support will be better.

You want Mac OS X and Windows... just buy a MacBook : you will have those OS, natively, with no patch, hack, etc... Need an update, just click "Update" and it's done. And when Leopard will be released, if it worth it, you'll just have to go to your reseller and buy it, no need to wait long weeks for hypothetical hack.

Also you will benefit free iLife suite included with your MacBook.

Honestly, I ran OSx86 on a Celeron. It was great but needed many hard drive format to install various versions of Tiger. Also there were many bugs related to graphic cards, etc... Now I have a MBP and everything goes fine. You have the choice. Go for simplicity... (perhaps just wait for first users reviews, just to be sure that the MacBook doesn't suffer the same defaults as the MacBook Pro)...

Go for the MacBook. It's about the same price and same specs as the Dell, but you'll be much happier with OS X and Boot Camp.

It's worth the extra money. Plus the support will be better.

That cuts me through the heart Mashugly... :(

Get an Apple.. although Dell's not too bad *hmph*

Thanks for the advice guys but I just bought a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M1451G. Had a bigger hard drive and a Radeon X700. I wanted a good graphics chip above a Mac lol. I'll see if I can get Mac OSX working on that. Any tips lol?

Thanks again

Big Kahuna-

Dell does indeed have good support. I've always been impressed in the past with them. :-) With my Dell DJ I actually had a tech support guy call me from India just to make sure everything was ok. I was impressed.

I have to agree with the other guys. You have two laptops, exactly or close to the same. You want dual boot. So you can have:

1) Macbook with true dual booting that has both OS's running natively

2) Dell with hackintosh and patchs like said above. Problems and such.

I haven't done hackintosh, don't know if I will. I might have to wait and save to get a real Mac and keep using my old G3 400 mhx PowerPC.

OH, please for the love of God dude, get 1 gig ram!! I used a Mac Mini with 512, you run out of memory. OS X needs ram, just put the extra $100 down. You will NOT regret it. I have seen to many go 512 and regret it.

I agree with those saying go with the Mac. I've always felt Apple made better laptops. You can always build your ideal desktop by chosing custom hardware. With a laptop your limited to the hardware put in your computer. This limitation may or may not be fully compatible with OSx86 and you'll spend all sorts of time trying to figure out how to make it work. Ultimately, you may have to forefeit a feature or buy an additional external or USB device. Why go through the trouble when you can buy a MacBook that can go back and forth seamlessly?

I also agree that you should buy more RAM - blow out the computer with as much as it will take.

If you want OSX and Windows - get a mac

If you want Windows and OSX - get a PC

Depends which you want more. I want OS X over Windows, so I got a MacBook. But I wouldnt have bought it if XP didnt work, cos I also have to use XP apps (VS2005 etc)

MacBooks aint gaming rigs, I got my AMD64 for that :angel: My laptop is my portable home, not my fraggin portal.

Anyway, thats my :hysterical:

Rich

Having the choice between a Mac or a Dell, and then buying a FSC?!?

:scared.to.death:

Edit:@bofors: Was just commenting what D@nM@c did. My experiences with FSC are that bad (absolutely no support!), and dells simply look like 200$ {censored}. Their hardware especially in notebooks is never up to date but sold for actual prices. My grandfathers dad would buy dell.

Get the MacBook.

The other thing that people fail to realize when comparing Apple hardware to other brands is that Apple holds it's value much better on resale. Furthermore, the average life of a Mac is probably close to twice that for a PC.

Get the MacBook.

The other thing that people fail to realize when comparing Apple hardware to other brands is that Apple holds it's value much better on resale. Furthermore, the average life of a Mac is probably close to twice that for a PC.

plus it comes with better stock software... imo

I've got a 7 year old Mac Laptop that still works... feels slow when you go from a MBP to it though... but it works.

Oh, and you can say you're a full time Mac user... (then secretly boot Windows)... lol