Gigabyte EP45-UD3R "perfect" setup ... (using retail disk)

Squirrelf

174 posts in this topic

Am I going crazy or microphone is not working in 10.5.8, using the kext from my pack

it shows up in the system preference as "Line in", but wherever I plug the mic I don't get anything

it use to work in 10.5.4 - > 10.5.7

can anyone confirm this issue !

thanks

the only i got mike to work in 10.5.8 i had to put the audio kext in sle i use the blue ones.

I am getting closer to having a stable install of Snow Leopard on my machine. While my MB is the GA-EP45C-UD3R, it's close enough that everyone else on thread may have success too.

Part of the switch though is to stop finding a kext to bypass something that does not work! I had to learn how to compile my own DSDT.aml file which is going to be the best way as now the OS thinks almost everything is built in!

By patching the DSDT file, you can also fix the problem we have with having the CMOS reset, woo hoo! More later. PS 10A432!

Hi bigpoppa206,

This is great news! Please keep us posted with your efforts. I'm still waiting for the retail disc to be delivered but I can't wait to try getting SL up and running. Kind of scared of this whole DSDT.aml business though... guess I need to do some reading.

Okay so good news bad news for me.

I had a great 10.5.7 setup going and the upgrade to 10.5.8 went smooth. I backed up my extensions, upgraded, installed Chameleon RC2, removed the kexts from chameleon and copied my own back over, ran dsdt with HPET and restarted.

Everything worked fine but I noticed sleep was broken. It worked fine in 10.5.7. Then I noticed I forgot to remove disabler.kext. I removed the kext and restarted...

Now OS X won't boot at all. I get a screen that tells me I need to reboot the computer (in 4 languages). Rebooting while holding down shift gets me to the gray screen with the apple logo and then my computer restarts itself.

So...how do I get into OS X to replace that disabler.kext...apparently my system really likes it?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S.

How are people booting without disabler.kext? Am I the only one with this problem?

Okay so good news bad news for me.

I had a great 10.5.7 setup going and the upgrade to 10.5.8 went smooth. I backed up my extensions, upgraded, installed Chameleon RC2, removed the kexts from chameleon and copied my own back over, ran dsdt with HPET and restarted.

Everything worked fine but I noticed sleep was broken. It worked fine in 10.5.7. Then I noticed I forgot to remove disabler.kext. I removed the kext and restarted...

Now OS X won't boot at all. I get a screen that tells me I need to reboot the computer (in 4 languages). Rebooting while holding down shift gets me to the gray screen with the apple logo and then my computer restarts itself.

So...how do I get into OS X to replace that disabler.kext...apparently my system really likes it?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S.

How are people booting without disabler.kext? Am I the only one with this problem?

Couple of things, when you removed that kext, did you repair permissions and rebuild the Extensions.mkext (using the -f command at the Chameleon boot prompt) when you rebooted?

Also, you might TRY THIS and see if it gets you over that hump. I haven't so can't advise.

EDIT: Okay, I just cleaned out the whole Extra/Extensions folder and replaced the kext with the ones from the latest pack. Maybe I had an old one in there but rebooting with -f after doing this worked like a charm.

Thanks

Hi guys.

I need some upgrade advice.

I've had a solid 10.5.6 install working for a couple months now but I want to

move to 10.5.8. Also my 10.5.6 set up was made using Chameleon RC1 and there's

a newer version of that as well. What would be the best way to go about updating

them both??

And once I get them both updated and running fine can I use SuperDuper to clone

to another HD and then boot from that?? It seems like a tried that once and I had to

redo the plist stuff to get it to boot which is a pain. I'd like to be able to clone and

not have to mess with that if possible.

Thanks,

jb

Well I tried this with no luck. I have the same board as the OP (check my signature)

I kept on getting this error RDMSR 198H, anyone have a clue on what it is and what I need to do to fix it

Well I tried this with no luck. I have the same board as the OP (check my signature)

I kept on getting this error RDMSR 198H, anyone have a clue on what it is and what I need to do to fix it

I see you have iATKOS in your signature. This is a vanilla install thread. If you are using a vanilla install, when / where are you getting that error?

well the bump was for the using a retail disk. I was getting that error when trying to use the GRUB disk from the very first post and retail disk.

I can install using the iATKOS disk just fine, but trying to install using the retail has proved to be difficult.

Any help?

some problem for sound and audio no longer work after update to 10.5.8

already find solution for sleep...

Anyone can help?

Por

use the my pack for 10.5.7 works in 10.5.8

(except I didn't figure out how to get microphone running in 10.5.8, but sound output will work)

and follow the instruction to get sleep back in 10.5.8

I'm sure the route to get the microphone back is to modify your dsdt with sound fix and use the legacy kext for our sound card (check the Snow Leopard thread for our board to fix the sound in dsdt, the same dsdt can be applied in Leopard, but I don't know if the kext used in Snow Leopard will work in Leopard too)

Anyway I really suggest to use Snow Leopard, it work better than Leopard on our board.... the DVD cost only 25$ on amazon, that's nothing for a full OS... and there's a thread specific to our board with a nice how to... I posted the link in the first post, and in my signature

• 3 weeks later...
I'm out of this thread, there should be enough info to get 10.5.7 working perfectly and 10.5.8 (only issue was the mic not working), I probably could make it work with the dsdt fix I have made to my machine...

I'm now on Snow Leopard , works better than 10.5.8 for me because I have my microphone working in Snow Leo...

good luck to you all !!!

for the nostalgic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141769

this is the link to our old thread, it's full of usefull information lost within over 750posts

@Eliade or others -- 1) I don't understand the function of GRUB-DFE boot CD in this method. Please explain what role it plays in the install process.

2) I have 10.5.8 running with the EFi-X v. 1.0 module. Can I clone this version to a new drive and then make the Chameleon and other mods of this "perfect setup" directly to the cloned version of 10.5.8, from my existing running 10.5.8?

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone is still active on this board but it's worth a shot. I'm putting together my first hackintosh and after months (literally months) of research and reading through various forum topics I've finally found Eliade and gmacman's great guide. I've followed everything to the T and here's my problem:

I got Leopard onto my computer and as far as I know it works fine. As per the guide, I continued updating from my retail disk (10.5) through software update. It automatically updated me to 10.5.8 which killed my display. Everything booted up fine but I couldn't see anything....just a gray screen with a few colored pixels here and there. So I went and found the 10.5.7 combo update and tried that instead (after wiping and reinstalling OS X onto my drive). THAT didn't work (same display problem). So I decided to just leave the computer at 10.5.5 since I was only going to be using it as a render box with Final Cut Pro. The only thing that was wrong with the setup was that the display was stretched. System Preferences only gave me the option to display in 1024x760 (or something like that). I figured this problem would be fixed with the Chameleon/UInstaller steps at the end of the guide. Unfortunately the fixes didn't work for me because I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4550 graphics card and that card isn't on the list in the UInstaller program. It'd be great if I could get this fixed so I can start using it properly and possibly update it. Any help I can get from anyone would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Not sure if anyone is subscribed to this any more...

But I've built two machines with this board. One is just a server and encoding machine. The other is a gaming computer (my wife's). The server has a 9600gt and she has a 9800gt (both are EVGA). She seems to have applications crash a lot on the mac side (completely stable on the vista side). The server is 100% stable, usually an uptime of 60+ days before I reboot it. I've ran memtest, and it checked out fine. I've ran prime95 and cpu burn-in on the vista side and it checked out fine hardware wise. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm leaning towards the graphics card as being the issue. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent gaming card that is compatible with 10.5.8 and decent at gaming?

• 1 month later...

Big thanks to the contributors here!!!

I got it up and running after falling into the efi-x scam. Good thing Chameleon sees the system drive.

Using 10.5.8 here with said MB and nVidia 8800 GT-512MB

I cannot emphasise enough. PERMISSIONS, PERMISSIONS, PERMISSIONS. repair them with disk utility, sudo command or pfix app.

I can't say I am not happy and hope to use this as a ProTools System.

I have ethernet fully working with the 10.5.7 pack. Once I upgraded the mac's OS that kept on getting dropped I have had no problems. So my advice would be to have all macs on the network using the same OS. In my case it is 10.5.8.

I am using a very specific application of sending time code from PC clone to a G5 over ethernet via AudioMIDI app.

-this is a huge test for this machine since this involves Bonjour. So far it has been looping for 12 hours and rock solid.

I can not thank this community enough for a great solution. Where some folks have saved $2k. I have saved $8k+ since I can use my old PCI cards that would be a lot of dough to upgrade.