Gigabyte EP45-UD3R "perfect" setup ... (using retail disk)

Squirrelf

174 posts in this topic

So I have everything installed per the directions here on the first post. My problem is, when I go to load Leopard from Chameleon, it appears to be loading fine, but at the moment the desktop should appear, my monitor goes into what appears to be standby mode, every time. The computer is not shutting off, in fact I'm certain Leopard loads fine as I can see thumb drives blink, my DVD drive is responsive, etc. Anyone have any idea what would cause the monitor to lose signal? My video card is an Geforce 8400 512mb. Any ideas would be appreciated.

**Edit** from reading it looks like this is definitely a video card support issue. The thing that is throwing me off that UInstaller has an option for an 8400GS which I chose, however it's not working. Any ideas?

So I have everything installed per the directions here on the first post. My problem is, when I go to load Leopard from Chameleon, it appears to be loading fine, but at the moment the desktop should appear, my monitor goes into what appears to be standby mode, every time. The computer is not shutting off, in fact I'm certain Leopard loads fine as I can see thumb drives blink, my DVD drive is responsive, etc. Anyone have any idea what would cause the monitor to lose signal? My video card is an Geforce 8400 512mb. Any ideas would be appreciated.

**Edit** from reading it looks like this is definitely a video card support issue. The thing that is throwing me off that UInstaller has an option for an 8400GS which I chose, however it's not working. Any ideas?

Does your computer start normally if you don't insert the EFI string? (in the ..boot.plist) If so, then you should try to make your own EFI string, not using the one that UInstaller is providing you. Get the BIOS .rom for your card, then extract the NVCAP-string from it using NVCAP Maker 1.4. I then used OSX86Tools to generate the EFI-string I needed, from the NVCAP string I got. Just choose GFX-string and custom (at the very bottom). If you got simple outputs, like VGA/DVI or DVI/DVI then you don't need the NVCAP string for this. You just press custom, and enter the information it wants.

Then there's also the injectors eg. nvkush which might work, but EFI is so much cleaner :P

Hope this helps :)

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, bear with me :-)

I'm reading the first post, Snow Leopard: Not Yet.

Could someone tell me what's not yet there? Is it some driver/kext that doesn't yet work with SL to gain full functionality?

Just being curious, and eager to try SL out! :)

Also curious... I have 10.5.8 running rock solid on this board, but I can't wait to try out Snow Leopard! I have it on pre-order and an empty drive waiting for it. Anyone try it out yet?

Anyone else have sleep issues ? I followed the guide, had to fiddle to get my GTX 260+ working but got there in the end. System is stable and working fine, just having problems when the sleep kicks in.

When sleep starts, USB is shut down (light in mouse goes dark), display is shut down, but as far as I can tell, the PC is still fully operational. CPU, GFX and Power Supply fans are still running.

I just reinstalled the whole thing I'm on 10.5.8 everything is working including Audio.

But I need to install chameleon 2.0 rc2 cause I'm currently using pci efi v9.

Any instructions on how to install it and what to do ?

Thanks.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the pop noise? Every time i boot up there's a pop noise or if the computer is just sitting and i do something that involves sound i will hear this popping noise. I have tried all the kext from the kext pack, they all give that pop noise. I also have searched but have not found anything. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody has any ideas ? This is running 10.5.7

Odd, I didn't have sleep issues in 10.5.7 (only in 10.5.8). What you describe though is what happened when I upgraded to 10.5.8.

Are you using the OpenHaltRestart.kext or the VoodooPower.kext?

I used the OpenHaltRestart.kext for my build and it worked fine.

Post your system in your signature, it might be helpful for the rest of the group.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the pop noise? Every time i boot up there's a pop noise or if the computer is just sitting and i do something that involves sound i will hear this popping noise. I have tried all the kext from the kext pack, they all give that pop noise. I also have searched but have not found anything. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

What sound ports on the motherboard are you using?

What sound output are you using from "System Preferences > Sound > 'Output' Tab"

It would also be helpful if you posted your system configuration in your signature.

I'm only having the pop noise during cider games... but I'm going to ask you some questions to compare notes.

A) how is your audio configured? What port are you using?

:shock: when you hooked up your front audio did you configure it with a HD Audio plug or AC'97?

Odd, I didn't have sleep issues in 10.5.7 (only in 10.5.8). What you describe though is what happened when I upgraded to 10.5.8.

Are you using the OpenHaltRestart.kext or the VoodooPower.kext?

I used the OpenHaltRestart.kext for my build and it worked fine.

Post your system in your signature, it might be helpful for the rest of the group.

What sound ports on the motherboard are you using?

What sound output are you using from "System Preferences > Sound > 'Output' Tab"

It would also be helpful if you posted your system configuration in your signature.

I'm only having the pop noise during cider games... but I'm going to ask you some questions to compare notes.

A) how is your audio configured? What port are you using?

:shock: when you hooked up your front audio did you configure it with a HD Audio plug or AC'97?

Ambsace im using the line-out internal under preferences.

Here are my specs

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Rev 1.1

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66

4 Gigs of 1066mhz ram

EVGA GTX 260 896 MB

OCZ 600 watt power supply

640gb hitachi hard drive

Antech 300 Mid tower Case

emig647,

I have used all the kexts available in the pack they all have the popping noise and i am using the green output on the back of the computer. for the front ports im using hd audio. Do you have any ideas of what can be causing this ?

Well i have been working on getting retail 10.5.6 installed tonight on a new system.

ep45-ud3r

e8400 c2d

9800gtx+

g.skill 2x2gb 1066mhz ram

sata 1tb hdd

sata dvd-burner

and i have been getting error after error during the first part of the install, after checking the disk it keeps failing on BaseSystem or essentials saying it cant validate them. I know the disk is good as its a family pack i have used on other computers. So i started to play with the ram configuration, i cant even get it to boot with ram in both yellow slots (ddr1,ddr3), but it boots with ram in the red lots. I can get it to boot with single sticks in only the red slots too. So something might be up with the yellow slots.

So with one stick in the first red slot (ddr2) it seems to go through the install, but still errors with one of the validationg errors or some error log half way through. No matter what stick i use. Anyone have issues like this? I dont see this ram on the gigabyte recommended list of ram to use, so i am going to pick up some kingston 2x2gb 1066mhz stuff i can try tomorrow. Any ideas would help, after these next few tries, i am going to put both sticks back into the red slots and run a mem test. Hopefully its not the mobo, but who knows!

thanks all

Well i have been working on getting retail 10.5.6 installed tonight on a new system.

ep45-ud3r

e8400 c2d

9800gtx+

g.skill 2x2gb 1066mhz ram

sata 1tb hdd

sata dvd-burner

and i have been getting error after error during the first part of the install, after checking the disk it keeps failing on BaseSystem or essentials saying it cant validate them. I know the disk is good as its a family pack i have used on other computers. So i started to play with the ram configuration, i cant even get it to boot with ram in both yellow slots (ddr1,ddr3), but it boots with ram in the red lots. I can get it to boot with single sticks in only the red slots too. So something might be up with the yellow slots.

So with one stick in the first red slot (ddr2) it seems to go through the install, but still errors with one of the validationg errors or some error log half way through. No matter what stick i use. Anyone have issues like this? I dont see this ram on the gigabyte recommended list of ram to use, so i am going to pick up some kingston 2x2gb 1066mhz stuff i can try tomorrow. Any ideas would help, after these next few tries, i am going to put both sticks back into the red slots and run a mem test. Hopefully its not the mobo, but who knows!

thanks all

Did you check the BIOS settings? Is it overclocked? Do you have other things that might cause problems. ie. PATA optical drives, etc?

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, bear with me :-)

I'm reading the first post, Snow Leopard: Not Yet.

Could someone tell me what's not yet there? Is it some driver/kext that doesn't yet work with SL to gain full functionality?

Just being curious, and eager to try SL out! ;)

I haven't tried anything yet

since I use MacOS as my main (and only) OS on my machines (both hackintosh) I'm waiting for final release to play with...

One thing I'm wondering though is if the 29$ Snow Leo will have a full install possibility without having Leopard, cause it's written every where that it's an update disk... (however amazon doesn't say so...), I guess I won't have a legitimate answer until the 28th (so soon :-) )

I haven't tried anything yet

since I use MacOS as my main (and only) OS on my machines (both hackintosh) I'm waiting for final release to play with...

One thing I'm wondering though is if the 29$ Snow Leo will have a full install, cause it's written every where that it's an update disk... (however amazon doesn't say so...), I guess I won't have a legitimate answer until the 28th (so soon :-) )

It's a full install. Just like the dev seeds.

...i have been getting error after error during the first part of the install, after checking the disk it keeps failing on BaseSystem or essentials saying it cant validate them. I know the disk is good as its a family pack i have used on other computers.

...Anyone have issues like this? I dont see this ram on the gigabyte recommended list of ram to use, so i am going to pick up some kingston 2x2gb 1066mhz stuff i can try tomorrow. Any ideas would help, after these next few tries, i am going to put both sticks back into the red slots and run a mem test. Hopefully its not the mobo, but who knows!

thanks all

I had this issue too and it was bad RAM. Definitely download and run the latest version of Memtest86+. I purchased 8GB of RAM--all 4 sticks failed at their rated speed. I had to RMA them, and got a good pair after.

I ran the tests overnight each time, in 2x2GB and 4x2GB configurations (a minimum 15 passes), before I was comfortable that the RAM was good.

Ambsace im using the line-out internal under preferences.

Here are my specs

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Rev 1.1

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66

4 Gigs of 1066mhz ram

EVGA GTX 260 896 MB

OCZ 600 watt power supply

640gb hitachi hard drive

Antech 300 Mid tower Case

emig647,

I have used all the kexts available in the pack they all have the popping noise and i am using the green output on the back of the computer. for the front ports im using hd audio. Do you have any ideas of what can be causing this ?

@baller2319

What bios version are you using? I am using F9 (latest).

I'm using the "Legacy 4outs2ins analog regualr headphone" kext (blue). My Sound Output is set to Headphones|Built-in Headphone. My H/K speakers are connected through the front headphone port of my Antec 300 Gaming case. I'm using the HD Audio connector for the front ports. Otherwise, everything else looks fine.

I had this issue too and it was bad RAM. Definitely download and run the latest version of Memtest86+. I purchased 8GB of RAM--all 4 sticks failed at their rated speed. I had to RMA them, and got a good pair after.

I ran the tests overnight each time, in 2x2GB and 4x2GB configurations (a minimum 15 passes), before I was comfortable that the RAM was good.

So i got OSX to install and everything runs fine with one stick(either stick). I tested some other memory and had the same issues. Nothing would load on yellow and only 1 red slot could be used at a time. I am sending the board back to newegg and am having a new one coming tomorrow from amazon.

So hopefully tomorrow night i will have a new install and the system up and running without much fuss. I did find a g.skill forum post about getting the memory to work with the UD3R. I set the mobo up the same way, and overclocked the CPU to 3.6ghz and with one stick things seem fine. So i think the ram is good to go, now lets pray its the mobo. I will report back with happens.

for ref: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

So i got OSX to install and everything runs fine with one stick(either stick). I tested some other memory and had the same issues. Nothing would load on yellow and only 1 red slot could be used at a time. I am sending the board back to newegg and am having a new one coming tomorrow from amazon.

So hopefully tomorrow night i will have a new install and the system up and running without much fuss. I did find a g.skill forum post about getting the memory to work with the UD3R. I set the mobo up the same way, and overclocked the CPU to 3.6ghz and with one stick things seem fine. So i think the ram is good to go, now lets pray its the mobo. I will report back with happens.

for ref: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

Just curious, which power supply are you using? When a single stick works and multiple sticks do not, that's a classic sign that your memory could be getting current starved - not enough mA on the memory supply rail.

Also, check the live voltage readings in your bios and make sure that the memory voltage is (slightly) higher than the voltage actually printed on the memory. Running memory at below spec voltages could cause instability.

@baller2319

What bios version are you using? I am using F9 (latest).

I'm using the "Legacy 4outs2ins analog regualr headphone" kext (blue). My Sound Output is set to Headphones|Built-in Headphone. My H/K speakers are connected through the front headphone port of my Antec 300 Gaming case. I'm using the HD Audio connector for the front ports. Otherwise, everything else looks fine.

Im also using F9. I found the solution, i was using the smbiosresolver kext and that was interfering with my hardware overview. My system was set to macpro but my boot rom was set to imac. So i just edited the boot rom and now everything is working perfectly.

Im also using F9. I found the solution, i was using the smbiosresolver kext and that was interfering with my hardware overview. My system was set to macpro but my boot rom was set to imac. So i just edited the boot rom and now everything is working perfectly.

Can you give detailed instructions on this? I'm a little confused about how you did this.

Am I going crazy or microphone is not working in 10.5.8, using the kext from my pack

it shows up in the system preference as "Line in", but wherever I plug the mic I don't get anything

it use to work in 10.5.4 - > 10.5.7

can anyone confirm this issue !

thanks

I am getting closer to having a stable install of Snow Leopard on my machine. While my MB is the GA-EP45C-UD3R, it's close enough that everyone else on thread may have success too.

Part of the switch though is to stop finding a kext to bypass something that does not work! I had to learn how to compile my own DSDT.aml file which is going to be the best way as now the OS thinks almost everything is built in!

By patching the DSDT file, you can also fix the problem we have with having the CMOS reset, woo hoo! More later. PS 10A432!

Am I going crazy or microphone is not working in 10.5.8, using the kext from my pack

it shows up in the system preference as "Line in", but wherever I plug the mic I don't get anything

it use to work in 10.5.4 - > 10.5.7

can anyone confirm this issue !

thanks

Hi Eliade,

I can confirm that the microphone port (front port & rear line-in) does not work.

BTW, Thanks for all your help.

Hey,

After trying a few other guides to update my boot sector from the Munky method to the Chameleon GUI, I finally succeeded by following these instructions. So I just wanted to give a big thanks to Eliade for all the hard work!

P.S.: gmacman did an excellent job with his refined text file guide; it's too bad I didn't see it until after I finished!