[Guide]GA EP35 DS4 Install - Chameleon 2.0 RC2 EFI Patition - 10.5.6 Retail (Update 10.5.8) & Boot132 - DSDT patched GFX, Audio, NIC

FKA

176 posts in this topic

Yes, the modified 10.5.6 kext works. Thanks!!!

Is it difficult to patch the 10.5.7 version?

Well, there are new legacy kexts and a new hdaenabler for the 10.5.7 applehda.kext.

And you need both, even with patched DSDT.aml.

I didn't hear about any solution where you shouldn't need a hda-enabler anymore with 10.5.7.

Well, there are new legacy kexts and a new hdaenabler for the 10.5.7 applehda.kext.

And you need both, even with patched DSDT.aml.

I didn't hear about any solution where you shouldn't need a hda-enabler anymore with 10.5.7.

Hi

I have been taking advice from another member who has edited 2 of the plists of the AppleHDA 10.5.7 kext for alc889a.

This only issue is you will have to make a manual edit to the HDEF part your DSDT.aml file.

Once I've done this I'll update the guide with instructions.

Cheers

D

Thanks for your work, fiddles101 !!!

My system is 100% working.

- 4GB DDR2 / Core2Quad 6600 / GB EP35-DS4 / Bios F13

- Ati Sapphire 3870 512MB

- SATA_0 WD 500GB MacOS

- SATA_1 Seagate 750GB (100GB Vista x64 Boot - 650GB MacOS Data)

- SATA_2 Maxtor 300GB (Vista x64 Data)

- SATA_3 WD 750GB TimeMachine

- SATA_4 eSATA (spare)

- SATA_5 DVDRW Pioneer

- Lan GigaBit, audio, resume, restart, power off, timemachine,... everything is working under 10.5.7

Best regards from Spain

WRC

Seems to me that Insanelymac has been down for the past i have no idea how many days. But anyway. Fiddles, just by adding a Disabler.kext to the EFI/Extensions it worked. Now i am running retail 10.5.6 and Windows 7. So now i need to try to update to 10.5.7 ^^

Hi fiddles101,

thank u for your post. As I have a EP45-DS3 it helped me in some way with 10.5.7 kext.

I made a script (EFI-Boot-i386) to automize the installation of the boot via EFI-partition (as you described in your post). In it's newly released version, it's now possible to select harddisk on wich to install EFI-Boot-Partition!

Load it down from http://www.mediafire.com/file/yk42vzjntmz/...oot-i386-v3.zip and look at

my post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162580 for further information.

Hope it's useful for u!

CoolEdit

Hi fiddles101,

thank u for your post. As I have a EP45-DS3 it helped me in some way with 10.5.7 kext.

I made a script (EFI-Boot-i386) to automize the installation of the boot via EFI-partition (as you described in your post). In it's newly released version, it's now possible to select harddisk on wich to install EFI-Boot-Partition!

Load it down from http://www.mediafire.com/file/yk42vzjntmz/...oot-i386-v3.zip and look at

my post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162580 for further information.

Hope it's useful for u!

CoolEdit

Top work mate!

I'll be sure to try this next time I brick my install - which, believe me, probably wont be long!

D.

UPDATE ---

Please see the 10.5.7 update section of this guide for using 10.5.7 AppleHDA !!!!!!!

Top work mate!

I'll be sure to try this next time I brick my install - which, believe me, probably wont be long!

D.

UPDATE ---

Please see the 10.5.7 update section of this guide for using 10.5.7 AppleHDA !!!!!!!

.. yeah, thank u! As far, I am using the HDA-things from digital_dreamers post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505 , but it uses the Legacy kext. It works well on my 889a Audio Codec. But mainly I use for my music studio an external USB DAW Edirol UA1000.

:hammer: As far, I understand u, I need ONLY your plist patched version of AppleHDA.kext on EFI-partition??? No HDAEnabler etc???

I have a similar machine than yours (10.5.7 on 10.5.2 retail, Chameleon 2 RC1 on EFI partition, Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400, 3GHz, Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, ATI Radeon HD 3870, 2x2GB DDR2 RAM, 2* 180 GB Samsung HD + NAS, based on FreeNAS 0.7 with 2* 500GB Samsung)

Yours CoolEdit

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, first off major props to you for coming up with this. This was about the 4th method I tried to get 10.5.7 to fully install, and it worked perfectly my first try!.

I used a 10.5.5 copy of leopard, and it worked fine. However, I skipped the patching DSDT.aml part. I upgraded to 10.5.7 using the combo update with no problems.

So far this was the most trouble free install I've ever used. ...Until I plugged in my flash drive. It turns out when I put any flash drive into my computer, I get a kernal panic about 2 seconds later. Any USB flash drive, any port does it. This is the first time I've had a problem like this. Any idea how to fix it?

What does the DSDT.aml part of the process do? Is it anything important that I really should do? I dont have a copy of windows installed on the computer, and I dont want to go through the hastle of doing that just to solve a small little problem...

Edited by Steven2k7

So far this was the most trouble free install I've ever used. ...Until I plugged in my flash drive. It turns out when I put any flash drive into my computer, I get a kernal panic about 2 seconds later. Any USB flash drive, any port does it. This is the first time I've had a problem like this. Any idea how to fix it?

Same Problem here, but not instantly after I plugin a USB-Device, Kernel Panic comes up some time later. I disabled the USB-Legacy Driver in BIOS: the Driver provides Boot-Up functionality via USB-devices. Had not the time to check if it solves the problem yet, but give it a try.

I tried updating my bios to F6, but that just caused Leopard to freak out, which for some reason set of my CPU temp alarm and my computer refused to boot. I managed to fix that and reinstall leopard, but couldnt get it work for some reason. I downgraded the bios to F5 and tried again and it worked.

I dont have the USB problem any more though. I cant think of anything I did differently this time, but all my flash drives work. No clue what happened there.

So far everything is working. going to test everything out before I install all my programs and see if I find any problems.

Can I install all other Leopard updates (ie, 10.5.8 if there is one) just straight in the OS with out any problems now?

I realized this while installing Leopard today. It has gotten so easy to do, its almost amazing me. All I had to do was pop in a boot disk, then insert the leopard DVD and it installed. I had to use graphic drivers and install 4 .kext files to improve performance, but really I had a fully functional install of Leopard by only using that boot132 disk.

Edit; It looks like the USB problem is back. I'm not getting a kernal panic though, leopard just completely freezes up now.

I have a GA-EP35-DS4 with the latest F6 BIOS, Chameleon 2.0 RC1 with EFI partition, EFI strings in my boot.plist and a custom smbios.plist.

Everything works well. Graphics, ethernet, audio but it's been a long time since I've been able to get auto sleep to work. It only works when I manually put it to sleep. Last time it worked was somewhere around 10.5.2. I'm thinking maybe a custom DSDT.aml might be the trick.

A few things.

Do you think a DSDT file would fix my sleep problems?

What do I do if I have two graphic cards, how do I apply that using the ACPI patcher?

And could I use anyone's DSDT file from someone with the same motherboard, if so would someone mind sharing there's?

Finally. If I do go with a DSDT file will I need my EFI strings anymore?

Thanks in advance.

DSDT_smbios.zip

A few things.

Do you think a DSDT file would fix my sleep problems?

What do I do if I have two graphic cards, how do I apply that using the ACPI patcher?

And could I use anyone's DSDT file from someone with the same motherboard, if so would someone mind sharing there's?

Finally. If I do go with a DSDT file will I need my EFI strings anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I suggest you have a good read of this thread before you start messing around with DSDT patching.

ACPI (DSDT) Patcher

Sleep does not work for me !

D.

I have a GA-EP35-DS4 with the latest F6 BIOS, Chameleon 2.0 RC1 with EFI partition, EFI strings in my boot.plist and a custom smbios.plist.

Everything works well. Graphics, ethernet, audio but it's been a long time since I've been able to get auto sleep to work. It only works when I manually put it to sleep. Last time it worked was somewhere around 10.5.2. I'm thinking maybe a custom DSDT.aml might be the trick.

It might help... you could always try it and see if things work better.
Not unless their graphics card is also just the same as yours... and most of us aren't using the same BIOS as you are, so that would need to be the same, too. Personally I flashed with F5 due to all the posts about issues with F6, though it seems the F6 is out of beta now, so might have been okay.

I tried using this method, but couldn't get my system to start... maybe if I'd made a boot-132 CD with my graphics stuff on it, but it was coming up to a "plaid screen" (vertical stripes on one monitor and a checkerboard of blotches on the other) when booting from the retail DVD after swapping disks... so I ended up installing with a combination of the karaakeha1 method (installing retail from an already working partition to another drive and adding the update) and the LS8v17 kext installation script (very nice shell script). I have pretty much everything working and might try adding the DSDT.aml file to see what happens, but don't know if I need it... BTW, I didn't bother using the EFI partition since the LS8v17 assumes you have an 'Extra' folder at the root level (not on the EFI partition) -- I could move it over, but you never know when Apple might start making use of the EFI partition, themselves... :) I think I'm pretty happy with how things are now. Of course I also had to seek out the drivers for my ATI HD2600XT graphics -- I'm using latest Natit, but might see if I can get rid of that if the DSDT thing works, at least once I know I have a good working clone of my current set-up.

Anyway, even though I didn't actually go through with the "fiddles101 method", it was an interesting process to attempt and I learned a lot more about OS X -- at least I have a near-retail installation now.

Jesta

F6 is out of beta now and works just fine. I've had it flashed and running with no issues for a couple of weeks now.

The AHCI has been updated in F6 and gives a much faster boot.

I have had problems getting patched ATI 2000 kexts to load from a boot-132 DVD which is giving you your GFX error.

Simply boot into the install DVD in safe mode using -x flag (this disables all but the bare essesnsial GFX functions.). Once install has completed reboot into your install using -x and then install patched ATI kexts to S/L/E.

THIS IS CLEARLY OUTLINED IN THE GUIDE !!

:blink:

D

Sorry about the double post, but I fixed the USB problem!!

After some searching around, I found this thread and downloaded IOUSBFamily344_2.kext.zip. I installed with with OSX86 tools, restarted, put in a flash drive and it showed up just fine.

Hi Steven2k7

You are quite right. I also suffered intermittent USB problems and am also using this kext in S/L/E

Also I have omitted to add a link to PcWiz's 64bit Jmicron kext. If you are using PATA devices, as I still am you will have KP's if using 4GB+ of RAM.

I will update the guide accordingly.

D.

Simply boot into the install DVD in safe mode using -x flag (this disables all but the bare essesnsial GFX functions.). Once install has completed reboot into your install using -x and then install patched ATI kexts to S/L/E.
I had the same result booting in "safe mode", believe me. ;)

did you make a Boot 132 with natit?

I'll upload mine later tonight.

I used the Boot-132 that you linked in your directions, so no, it didn't have the Natit or other kexts appropriate for my graphics card... I suppose I could probably figure out how to make another Boot-132 disk that has all that, though, but I have two start-up partitions that are working reasonably well now (and have backed it up to a disk image to make sure I don't lose it all if I really mess anything up). Anyway, I tried a lot of other stuff when that didn't work... in the end I'm reasonably satisfied with how it all worked out, though I might go back and try some other things at some point. Perhaps I'll try doing an EFI boot set-up, and/or replacing some hacked kexts with the original "vanilla" ones and see if the DSDT.aml file works for me. But I ended up spending a lot more time attempting to follow your directions, then attempting work-arounds, and finally just went with an LS8-type install (without anything on the EFI partition or DSDT). I should probably try to figure out what EFI strings are appropriate for my HD2600XT card -- oddly EFI studio and others don't have the 2600 (just the 2400), so I guess I might need the hacked kexts if I can't sort that out or if the DSDT.aml file doesn't serve the same purpose equally well.

But hey, I've saved my DSDT.aml file and the extensions you provided, among other things, so I'll give it another try one of these days if I have time. I'll just do the full install using the "karaakeha1 method" (linked before -- i.e. installing too another drive/partition while booted up from the HDD and just run the 10.5.6 installer from a disk image, then the 10.5.7 updater... run the Chameleon 2 installer to the EFI partition, do your EFI mount steps and add the DSDT file and everything else you describe... then install the needed graphics kexts from my existing installation (I've found the ATI installer linked elsewhere doesn't seem to work properly if installing to anything other than the start-up drive)... and see if I can boot without Natit and with a drive that has basically just the stuff you are running. Should I install those graphics kexts to my EFI partition, too? The thing is that it installs not just the kexts, but also a replacement OpenGL framework and some .bundle files (also in the Extensions folder, but not actual kext files, I guess)... can all of that go in the EFI "Extras" folder... and if so, is it all necessary in your opinion?

Hi Jesta

To be honest you caught me on a bad day - if its working for you stick with it!

Re: ATI GFX - I had to extract the ATI kexts from the installer package found on lastExile's topic here using Pacifist. lastExile has an installer pkg for your GFX card.

I used all the kexts found in the S/L/E folder of the ATI installer and the EFI Extension kext linked in the guide to build a boot132 using Slimbuilt GUI found on PCWiz's site here . It's very straight forward.

I still had to boot to the 10.5.6 install DVD using -x

Once OS X install was complete I installed, using kexthelper, everything APART FROM NATIT, from the S/L/E folder of the ATI installer to S/L/E of my new OS X install.

I activated QuartzGL using OSX86Tools

Then install Chameleon 2 to either your OS X part' or EFI part'. The bonus of installing to EFi is that you keep your OS X partition "ALMOST" as Apple intended.

Your DSDT.aml file should be copied to your /Extra folder whether its on EFI part' or OS X part.

Using DSDT you don't need Natit and you dont need HDAEnabler for Audio.

You will need to further edit your DSDT.aml as outlined at the bottom of the guide to get audio working with 10.5.7 AppleHDA.

However using this method I have all 10 audio I/O's recognised, no sound assertion warnings, no popping etc ..

What I don't have working:

Sleep - does not work dispite all power functions being listed in system profiler as OK. It simply refuses to sleep at all.

Video Embeded Audio via DVI/HDMI of my ATI GFX card - This will not work until Apple or some kind genius decides to write a driver to support it.

Have fun

D.

PC EFI v. 10, installed over Chameleon 2 rc 1 solved my sleep problem after a lot of sleepless nights.

The board enters in mode 0 sleep (it will KP on hibernate) and wakes up with a short press on the power button.

PC EFI v. 10, installed over Chameleon 2 rc 1 solved my sleep problem after a lot of sleepless nights.

The board enters in mode 0 sleep (it will KP on hibernate) and wakes up with a short press on the power button.

Hi downlord

I read your comments on the EFI v10 thread.

I switched to EFI v10 a couple of days ago and still no sleep for me!

It could be my ATI GFX card but frankly I've given up on it ever working.

With EFI V10 I no longer have

"kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

which as a consequence improves boot time.

Have you tried Snow with v10 yet?

D.

With EFI V10 I no longer have

"kernel ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

which as a consequence improves boot time.

Yes, This seems be solved now.

But I get again the horrible:

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

but with no consequences.

And there is another bunch of errors in system.log that I hasn't before...

Have you tried Snow with v10 yet?

Didn't tried yet. Waiting for final release (and some time to play around with it).

Didn't tried yet. Waiting for final release (and some time to play around with it).

I've got it boot with v10 but too many problems at the moment. Also waiting for full release.