[Guide]GA EP35 DS4 Install - Chameleon 2.0 RC2 EFI Patition - 10.5.6 Retail (Update 10.5.8) & Boot132 - DSDT patched GFX, Audio, NIC

FKA

176 posts in this topic

I've got it boot with v10 but too many problems at the moment. Also waiting for full release.

Out of curiosity…using the technique you described to generate the DSDT file are you able to boot Leopard (not Snow) with v10 EFI? I can boot using PCWiz's DSDT patcher found below.

http://tinyurl.com/c9de3b

But not with a DSDT file generated in XP.

Thanks so very very much for this guide. Going great except I have somehow managed to make my EFI partition disappear after 10.5.6 reboot :unsure: Have installed 10.5.7 no worries however i can't alter my EFI/Extra/Extensions. Any ideas? I have tried entering the mount_hfs code to no avail. Sorry for the uber newb question :rolleyes: Thanks again

Luke, can you get the EFI partition to show up, or can you just not open up EFI/Extra/Extensions?

I've been working with this guide for about a week and a half now. I was originally using a 10.5.4 copy of Leopard (all I had on disk), but I finally went out and bought some DL disks and tried using 10.5.6 to install instead. Worked perfectly the first time.

Infact, the biggest problem I'm having right now is I can not get Chameleon to boot from the default partition. I have the com.apple.boot.plist file in EFI/Extra. This is how I have the timeout and default partition strings:

<key>Kernal</key>

<string>mach_kernal</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(4,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Kernal Flags</key>

<string></string>

It will time out just fine, but wants to default boot to the wrong disk; disk3s1 according to Disk Utility.

I havnt found anything else that doesnt work, except the wrong processor speed shows up in About This Mac...

Thanks for the guide! This is my first time using an EFI install, and I like it so far. I dont have to worry about installing any software updates now, correct?

Edit: I fixed the default boot; for some reason it had to be set to (0,2) to work..

I just saw on apples website that Snow Leopard will be out in September. Would it be possible to upgrade from leopard to snow leopard on this setup?

Edited by Steven2k7

Out of curiosity…using the technique you described to generate the DSDT file are you able to boot Leopard (not Snow) with v10 EFI? I can boot using PCWiz's DSDT patcher found below.

http://tinyurl.com/c9de3b

But not with a DSDT file generated in XP.

Currently using Chameleon 2 and PC EFI v10 with no problems.

Do you have any errors when generating DSDT in XP? Are you using the correct settings in the patcher for your NIC, Audio and GFX??

Thanks so very very much for this guide. Going great except I have somehow managed to make my EFI partition disappear after 10.5.6 reboot :) Have installed 10.5.7 no worries however i can't alter my EFI/Extra/Extensions. Any ideas? I have tried entering the mount_hfs code to no avail. Sorry for the uber newb question :) Thanks again

Luke please read the guide carfully before asking questions.

From the guide:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskxs1 /Volumes/EFI (where x is the drive you have installed to.)

killall Finder

when you have finished:

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

Edit: I fixed the default boot; for some reason it had to be set to (0,2) to work..

I just saw on apples website that Snow Leopard will be out in September. Would it be possible to upgrade from leopard to snow leopard on this setup?

Glad you got it sorted. If Chameleon is installed to the same disk you want to boot as default and that HDD is set as 1st boot device in BIOS it should be disk0 and you OSX install will be part' 2 ie disk0s2.

Still playing with Snow Leopard. Will let you know how it goes.

D.

Do you have any errors when generating DSDT in XP? Are you using the correct settings in the patcher for your NIC, Audio and GFX??

I didn't get any errors and I'm pretty sure I followed your directions to the "T". I'm going to start from scratch and try generating another one.

Guide updated ::

Added -

• Some BIOS settings

• VoodooPower.kext - drops vCore and clock when CPU not loaded (many thanks to the Voodoo guys) OpenHaltRestart.kext no longer required with this

• UUID.kext - stops UUID 35 error - slight edit required to info.plist, adding your MAC address

• ATAPortinjector.kext removed - this is not needed for PATA devices if using PCWiz x64 Jmicron kext

• Change to DSDT method, LAN0 selected for NIC not GIGI - No need for RealtekR100.kext, Bonjour is running without it!!

Enjoy

D

Guide updated ::

Added -

• Some BIOS settings

• VoodooPower.kext - drops vCore and clock when CPU not loaded (many thanks to the Voodoo guys) OpenHaltRestart.kext no longer required with this

• UUID.kext - stops UUID 35 error - slight edit required to info.plist, adding your MAC address

• ATAPortinjector.kext removed - this is not needed for PATA devices if using PCWiz x64 Jmicron kext

• Change to DSDT method, LAN0 selected for NIC not GIGI - No need for RealtekR100.kext, Bonjour is running without it!!

Enjoy

D

FormerlyKnownAs, you might want to give this DSDT trick a try. With it I was able to revert back to the unpatched vanilla IOUSBFamily.kext AND my rig auto sleeps now… as long as I have a disk in my optical drive. Still working on that one.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

Also this post has lots of good info and tricks on DSDT. I'm working on the audio now to see if I can revert back to the vanilla AppleHDA.kext. I'm trying for that perfect vanilla install with only a modified DSDT. I think it can be done.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f7/various-dsdt.../post26404.html

If you'd like to know I was able to get dual video cards to work with DSDT as well. When I get time I'll document it either here or another post. I had to edit my DSDT by hand in order to get it to work. I'm totally off EFI strings now!

DSDT IS THE WAY TO GO! For all you looking for the perfect hackintosh you need to learn more about DSDT and there needs to be more resources out there as well. Right now there is very little. This thread as well as the the two posts above helped me a lot as well as just a lot of general reading on the subject. I'll admit it's not easy though.

Formally, do you think you could share your DSDT file via PM? Or better yet post it for everyone to see. That's how I figured most if this out. Even though it's being generated automatically. It would still help.

Here is mine. DSDT file for GA-EP35-DS4 with dual GFX cards, USB fix (partial auto sleep fix), power button to sleep and more.

DSDT.zip

I'll post more when I get more time.

FormerlyKnownAs, you might want to give this DSDT trick a try. With it I was able to revert back to the unpatched vanilla IOUSBFamily.kext AND my rig auto sleeps now… as long as I have a disk in my optical drive. Still working on that one.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

Also this post has lots of good info and tricks on DSDT. I'm working on the audio now to see if I can revert back to the vanilla AppleHDA.kext. I'm trying for that perfect vanilla install with only a modified DSDT. I think it can be done.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f7/various-dsdt.../post26404.html

Hi kdawg

Good on ya - I'm all for a bit of DSDT patching!

I'm actually already using the USB patch for DSDT.

I still can't sleep, I've always assumed my ATI GFX card is to blame but will try with a DVD in the draw. I have a TSST burner and it does spin up randomly when it's empty.

The HDEF part of DSDT.dsl for 10.5.7 AppleHDA is already posted in the guide.

Glad to see you got the dual GFX cards working - a lot of the DSDT patches are dotted all over the forum. Maybe a thread of known DSDT patches would be useful?

I'm happy to post my DSDT when I get back from work this evening but please note this should be for reference only - unless you have the exactly the same setup the DSDT.aml will not work for you.

Cheers

D

Hi kdawg

Good on ya - I'm all for a bit of DSDT patching!

I'm actually already using the USB patch for DSDT.

I still can't sleep, I've always assumed my ATI GFX card is to blame but will try with a DVD in the draw. I have a TSST burner and it does spin up randomly when it's empty.

The HDEF part of DSDT.dsl for 10.5.7 AppleHDA is already posted in the guide.

Glad to see you got the dual GFX cards working - a lot of the DSDT patches are dotted all over the forum. Maybe a thread of known DSDT patches would be useful?

I'm happy to post my DSDT when I get back from work this evening but please note this should be for reference only - unless you have the exactly the same setup the DSDT.aml will not work for you.

Cheers

D

Take a peek here. It seems replacing the drive fixes the problem. For me it may be worth the $20 just to get a new one.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1183631

Yeah I'd never just swap out your DSDT file with mine. Because of the lack of info actual DSDT information combing other DSDT files has proved useful.

Here's my DSDT.

Tried sleep with DVD in drive, still no sleep for me!!!

Thanks.

I think the sleep problems stem from two things. The USB fix and the Samsung/Toshiba (SH-S223F) optical dives. I tried updating the firmware on them to SB03 with no luck. Perhaps take a look at the USB section of my DSDT and take a peek. In the meantime I think I'll purchase a new optical drive.

Do you know how to set up the DSDT.aml for a 9800 GX2/dual card?

It just started working thanks to the new GTX 285 drivers, so it's not in the ACPI Patcher. Can we skip this step and still have it work via strings? What do we select? Thanks

It just started working thanks to the new GTX 285 drivers, so it's not in the ACPI Patcher. Can we skip this step and still have it work via strings? What do we select? Thanks

Do you have a working EFI string? If so attach the plist and current DSDT. What MOBO do you have?

Thanks.

I think the sleep problems stem from two things. The USB fix and the Samsung/Toshiba (SH-S223F) optical dives. I tried updating the firmware on them to SB03 with no luck. Perhaps take a look at the USB section of my DSDT and take a peek. In the meantime I think I'll purchase a new optical drive.

I've tried both the kext and DSDT fix for USB - both appear to be working fine. I've upgraded firmware for my TSSTcorp drive and disconnected it and tried with a disk in the drive.

I believe my sleep problem is due to ATI GFX card.

Hi Ego

You can not set any parameters for GFX in koalala's patcher - compile and use efi strings. You will get errors on the compile but it worked like this for me in the past.

Also you can try to set as 9000 series in the patcher with corrcet RAM value. You can change the model name to whatever as long as you follow the format .. ie change 'NVidia 9000 series' to 'NVidia 9800'

**EDIT** roisoft has managed to get dual GFX cards working here ***

kdawg - with all due respect, what exact process would you use to copy plist info into you DSDT.dsl??

Its too early for me .... i didn't read your post correctly !!!

D.

I've tried both the kext and DSDT fix for USB - both appear to be working fine. I've upgraded firmware for my TSSTcorp drive and disconnected it and tried with a disk in the drive.

I believe my sleep problem is due to ATI GFX card.

Hi Ego

You can not set any parameters for GFX in koalala's patcher - compile and use efi strings. You will get errors on the compile but it worked like this for me in the past.

Also you can try to set as 9000 series in the patcher with corrcet RAM value. You can change the model name to whatever as long as you follow the format .. ie change 'NVidia 9000 series' to 'NVidia 9800'

kdawg - with all due respect, what exact process would you use to copy plist info into you DSDT.dsl??

Its too early for me .... i didn't read your post correctly !!!

D.

Any Plist editor would convert the hex values from his com.apple.Boot.plist then just plug those values into the DSDT. I would have generated the DSDT values by hand because I know koalala's patcher doesnt include those.

post-16858-1248171069_thumb.png

Thanks!

Any Plist editor would convert the hex values from his com.apple.Boot.plist then just plug those values into the DSDT. I would have generated the DSDT values by hand because I know koalala's patcher doesnt include those.

So I could just take the giant 2 card hex I have in my com.apple.Boot.plist and throw them in my DSDT.aml? What tool would I use to edit it? ACPI Patcher under XP is the only thing I've messed with so far. Thanks

So I could just take the giant 2 card hex I have in my com.apple.Boot.plist and throw them in my DSDT.aml? What tool would I use to edit it? ACPI Patcher under XP is the only thing I've messed with so far. Thanks

I have to admitt I'm starting to stuggle with this but have a read of post #9 in this thread here

basically copy the HEx to a hex editor, save as *.dat, decompile the *.dat with iasl.

D

Thanks!

I would do like FormerlyKnownAs suggests and try and use the closest match for your card with ACPI patcher. Then open your com.apple.Boot.plist (not in Hex format) in something like PlistEditorPro. The most important thing is you also have to be sure you're hitting the right PCI slots in the DSDT tree. Match the STRING values from the plist editor and plug them into your DSDT.dsl file. (See the attached visual in my last post)

I assure you there will be a lot of trial and error so I hope you have a backup install that works so you can go back in and fix what you might have done wrong previously. You can take a look at my DSDT file to see where my two cards sit but you can't just copy my file. If you spend enough time looking at the DSDT you'll should be able to decipher enough of it to get your cards running. If you can get the cards working with EFI strings and Apple drivers you should be able to get them running via DSDT.

Found some working EFI strings for the 285 here if the ones you're using don't fully work.

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509

Also, IRC is a good resource for knowledge when it comes to bleeding edge stuff like DSDT and newer cards like yours. Google "IRC OSX86" and you'll come up with some.

Thanks!

I did some digging and it seems the GTX 285 might be a bit different.

You could flash your card with the Mac ROM from Netkas. Seems hairy though.

This seems to be the way to go however.

1. Use this injector.

2. With these drivers

3. Then use pacifist to extract and install the kexts.

But I still think it can be done via DSDT and eliminate the injector.

What are the details of your setup? What's your string look like?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1202064

But I guess it doesn't work with DSDT, because of the built in PCI bridge on the GX2

As ffosilva says, because there isn't an apple driver for the bridge you will still need the additional driver from EVGA.

It is possible you can use DSDT and the additional drivers instead of EFI string or injector.

For my ATI card I must have patched ATI kexts installed but use DSDT instead of natit.

D

FormerlyKnownAs,

Take a look at these snippets from the DSDT you posted (mine is identical in this case). Tell me if you think this is supposed to be this way or is it wrong. Seems to me it's wrong. I've heard about how bad Gigabyte is when it comes to generating their BIOS and DSDT files. I've commented on the sections in question.

I bring this up because I'm having trouble with my USB ports disconnecting on sleep. I still need to use the modified IOUSBFamily.kext to keep them from disconnecting.

Let me know what you or anyone else thinks.

Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	Store (0xFF, DBG1)
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	{
		Store (0x8F, SCP)
	}

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
	{
		If (LEqual (OSFL, Zero))
		{
			If (LEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
			{
				Store (0x59, SMIP)
			}
			Else
			{
				Store (0x58, SMIP)
			}
		}

If (LEqual (OSFL, One))
		{
			Store (0x56, SMIP)
		}

If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
		{
			Store (0x57, SMIP)
		}

If (LEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
		{
			Store (0x59, SMIP)
		}
	}

If (LEqual (Arg0, One)) {}
	If (OSFL)
	{
		Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02)
	}
	Else
	{
		If (LEqual (RTCW, Zero))
		{
			Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02)
		}
	}

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB0, Zero)   <-- You would assume these are the 6 USB ports
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB1, Zero)		 All sequentially labeled USB0-5
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB2, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB3, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB4, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB5, Zero)
	Return (Package (0x02)
	{
		Zero, 
		Zero
	})
}

Device (USB0)			<-- This is #1
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Device (USB1)			<-- This is #2
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x35, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Device (USB2)			<-- This is #3
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x36, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Device (USB3)			<-- What's going on here?! Is this the right label?
		{						  (The mysterious 7th USB port)
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0003)
			Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
				{
					Return (0x02)
				}

Return (0x03)
			}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0E, 
				One
			})
		}

Device (US31)				<-- This is #4 (note it's referenced by US31)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x37, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Device (USB4)			<-- This is #5
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x38, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Device (USB5)			<-- This is #6
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x39, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Device (USBE)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)
			{
				If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
				{
					Return (0x02)
				}

Return (0x03)
			}

{
				0x0D, 
				One
			})
		}

Device (USE2)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0007)
			{
				If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
				{
					Return (0x02)
				}

Return (0x03)
			}

{
				0x0D, 
				One
			})
		}

So should the _WAK function be reading something like this?

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB0, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB1, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB2, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.US31, Zero)	<-- Proper name for port #4
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB4, Zero)
	Notify (\_SB.PCI0.USB5, Zero)

Awesome guide. I'm about to replace my Kalaway installation which I have been running for about a year. I'd like to go retail and this will certainly help.

At the same time as doing this reinstall, I would like to install Windows 7 and I'm hoping you can answer a few questions regarding that. First, can both OSX (using this method) and Windows 7 exist on the same physical drive or do I need to have two seperate drives? If they can be on the same drive, In which order do they need to be installed? And finally, if they have to be on separate drives, I presume it is okay to install OSX first (on the first drive) and then Windows, but does OSX drive need to be disconnected during the install?

Thanks again!

FormerlyKnownAs,

Take a look at these snippets from the DSDT you posted (mine is identical in this case). Tell me if you think this is supposed to be this way or is it wrong. Seems to me it's wrong. I've heard about how bad Gigabyte is when it comes to generating their BIOS and DSDT files. I've commented on the sections in question.

I bring this up because I'm having trouble with my USB ports disconnecting on sleep. I still need to use the modified IOUSBFamily.kext to keep them from disconnecting.

Let me know what you or anyone else thinks.

Your correct - US31 is not a usb device. The USB part of DSDT should read:

Device (USB0)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x34, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
                   0x03, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (USB1)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0001)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x35, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
                   0x04, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (USB2)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0002)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x36, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
                   0x0C, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (US31)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0003)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   0x0E, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (USB3)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x37, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
                   0x0E, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (USB4)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001A0001)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x38, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
                   0x05, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (USB5)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001A0002)
               {
                   If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }

Return (0x03)
               }

{
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x39, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
                   0x20, 
                   0x03
               })
           }

Device (USBE)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)