new Vista Build - 5365

nevermind1331

40 posts in this topic

yup build 5831, the first that worked for me, it has built in support for the x1600. woohoo. of course my firwire drive will not mount.....strange. also audio through the speakers works as well as does wireless lan. overall very nice

(i had an extracted driver folder from an xp install, so i can manually run the audio installer and point maunally to other drivers)

So Windows Vista Build 5831 is working with Boot Camp?

I hope Vista will ultimately be supported for dual booting on the Intel Macs. That is a big selling point for me to ever get one let alone for me continuing to mess around with OS X86.

-Jordo

not boot camp technically. vista doesnt support gpt tables (yet) so i had to boot from an external backup, format the drive with the fdisk parittion scheme, then install vista. it sucks kinda. osx wont install to mbr, vista wont install to gpt. but its relativley easy to make a working backup with silverkeeper or superduper.

yup, 5381, my bad

hehe time for cynicism :gathering:

I dont think they'll improve by build 5831 anyways so there is no issue with (mis)labelling the builds :P

although, i do have to give a lot credit to microsoft. they have managed to improve the february ctp (5308) and build 5365 is a tremendous improvement in many ways (though UAP annoys the hell out of me). although, it is disappointing though that winfs, new command line tool and a few other improvements will not ship with rc 1

Any reason you keep posting the same website over and over in various threads?

yea, especially since it really has little to no relevance to vista since it was taken out. also i believe there is a beta of it out somewhere (albeit mostly unusable)

im fine with smart folders anyway, not sure windows could ever win me back now (i was looking forward to winfs).

not boot camp technically. vista doesnt support gpt tables (yet) so i had to boot from an external backup, format the drive with the fdisk parittion scheme, then install vista. it sucks kinda. osx wont install to mbr, vista wont install to gpt. but its relativley easy to make a working backup with silverkeeper or superduper.

Actually Vista /does/ support the GPT partition scheme. BUT, Boot Camp is using a hack in the CSM to present the MBR to XP (so it will install onto it). Vista installs just fine, but at boot it gets horribly confused by conflicting information from the GPT and the fake MBR the CSM presents.

I got 5381 working just fine on the MBP once I understood this (which is why you nuke the 200MB 'EFI' partition), but I quickly uninstalled as it wouldn't run the one app I need to run Windows for: EvE. :angel:

hehe time for cynicism :)

I dont think they'll improve by build 5831 anyways so there is no issue with (mis)labelling the builds :huh:

although, i do have to give a lot credit to microsoft. they have managed to improve the february ctp (5308) and build 5365 is a tremendous improvement in many ways (though UAP annoys the hell out of me). although, it is disappointing though that winfs, new command line tool and a few other improvements will not ship with rc 1

If you want to get rid of UAP:

1. Press the Windows (apple in this case) Key + R (win(apple)key + R).

2. At the run prompt, type "msconfig" without the quotes.

3. Go to the Tools tab, scroll down and select "Disable UAP" and click the run button.

4. You should see a command prompt open and it will say "Command completed successfully".

5. Reboot and enjoy the freedom to control your system as you wish.