Overclockintosh - GA-EP45-UD3R

RMartin

15 posts in this topic

OK,

I got an Xbench Score of 185. I have a Q6600 (Overclocked to 3.6GHz) Overclockintosh Yes That is a new word I just made up. Please feel free to use goping forward.

Nonetheless, I was looking whay my score was lower than some of the scores on the xBench site and it was my Hard Drive and Graphics card.

I am using tne new Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Motherboard, 8GB of Ram and GeForce 8600GT Graphics Card.

The system is rock-solid with the iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 DVD and the appropriate updates including 10.5.6 (I can use the software update feature with no problems). If anyone wants the install procedure for this board and the approriate kext files, I woudl be happy to help them out.

I am thrilled with this unit. It is replacing a 2.4Ghz iMac 24" unit that is very nice in its' own right.

Cheers...

Glad you have such big progress on the board.

I have the exact board and use IDE DVD rom + Changed SATA mode to AHCI.

However, boot IDeneb 10.5.5 give me the message on screen :

" Unable to find driver for this platform \"ACPI\".."

Could you layout the detailed instructions obout how to make them work?

Thanks.

OK,

I got an Xbench Score of 185. I have a Q6600 (Overclocked to 3.6GHz) Overclockintosh Yes That is a new word I just made up. Please feel free to use goping forward.

Nonetheless, I was looking whay my score was lower than some of the scores on the xBench site and it was my Hard Drive and Graphics card.

I am using tne new Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Motherboard, 8GB of Ram and GeForce 8600GT Graphics Card.

The system is rock-solid with the iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 DVD and the appropriate updates including 10.5.6 (I can use the software update feature with no problems). If anyone wants the install procedure for this board and the approriate kext files, I woudl be happy to help them out.

I am thrilled with this unit. It is replacing a 2.4Ghz iMac 24" unit that is very nice in its' own right.

Cheers...

I have exactly this motherboard, can you show me which drivers you chose while installing your system?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

"I got an Xbench Score of 185. I have a Q6600 (Overclocked to 3.6GHz) ..."

I presume you are using 1.6 GHz FSB speed and 800 MHz RAM speed.

I am using those values in a DS3L with an E8400, but I have been unable to get my Q6600 to go faster than 3.2 MHz in a DS3R, and even that is pushing it.

Water cooled CPU on these two machines.

I finally pulled the Q6600 from the DS3R and moved it to a new Shuttle P35 where it has water cooling for the CPU, NB, SB and VRM, but it won't overclock worth a darn in that machine.

I'm going to backfill the DS3R with a faster Core 2 Duo from the same family as the E8400 (45 nm).

Incidentally, my E8400 XBenches 206 with disk and 296 without disk at 3.6 GHz with 1.6 Ghz FSB and 800 MHz RAM in the DS3L. The video card is a 7200GS. The HD is a "333" series 1 TB Seagate.

• 2 weeks later...
"I got an Xbench Score of 185. I have a Q6600 (Overclocked to 3.6GHz) ..."

I presume you are using 1.6 GHz FSB speed and 800 MHz RAM speed.

I am using those values in a DS3L with an E8400, but I have been unable to get my Q6600 to go faster than 3.2 MHz in a DS3R, and even that is pushing it.

Water cooled CPU on these two machines.

I finally pulled the Q6600 from the DS3R and moved it to a new Shuttle P35 where it has water cooling for the CPU, NB, SB and VRM, but it won't overclock worth a darn in that machine.

I'm going to backfill the DS3R with a faster Core 2 Duo from the same family as the E8400 (45 nm).

Incidentally, my E8400 XBenches 206 with disk and 296 without disk at 3.6 GHz with 1.6 Ghz FSB and 800 MHz RAM in the DS3L. The video card is a 7200GS. The HD is a "333" series 1 TB Seagate.

I, too, have the DS3L board with a E8400 clocked at 3.2 GHZ on the stock fan. My new fan is coming in today, plan to overclock much higher. Anywho, I get an xBench score of 223! Mostly because of my 10,000RPM raptor. HD is the real bottleneck.

• 1 month later...

i got an xbench score of 311.xx without disk, and 232.46 with disk,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1101849

use intel e5200 @3.5ghz , gigabyte ud3r v1.1 bios f4, but i have a problem with memory (adata vitesta 2gb kit)..this memory stuck @3.5ghz 2.1v 5-4-4-12 divider 1:1, next time i'll purchase memory team xtreem 1066 micron d9 2gb, perhaps i'll get higher score... :(

l

• 5 weeks later...

got the board - so far it's GREAT! Allows me to run my E8600 @ 8*500mhz with my ram 1:1. I haven't loaded Windows yet, only been playing with installing Leopard Retail. I am pretty close to finalizing my install. I finally got the right audio kexts to let me use headphones in the front or speakers from the back line out. I'm now trying to find out the bare minimum kexts that I need.

An interesting note:

I haven't studied all the kexts involved, but my machine has trouble booting off of known good mkexts (Chameleon boot) when set to 8*500mhz and the ram 1:1. I can get it to boot fine without the mkext and adding the kexts to /s/l/e via Uinstaller at the same settings, but not with Eliades mkexts. Haven't quite figured out what the issue is exactly. The same overclock is rock solid with Windows Seven, and was rock solid when I use Uinstaller to install the kexts into /s/l/e. Anyone else running @ 8*500 or higher ?

• 4 weeks later...

I just have this board too.

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz @ 3.2 GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED m/koeler

-Cooler Master Mystique 631, Zilver Aluminium (zonder voeding)

-Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-5200A, DVD+R/+RW/DVD-R/-RW, OEM, IDE, Black

-Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, P45, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH10R, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16

-Gainward GeForce 9600GT 1GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, "Golden Sample" 2xDVI, HDMI, Disp

-Western Digital Caviar® Black? 640GB ,Sata 3 Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM

-OCZ DDR2 PC8500 4096MB KIT, Reaper HPC, 2x2048MB, Heatpipe, (CL5-5-5-18)

I have X-Bench score of 268 without disk test. 214 with the disk.

My CPU temp is stressed 53-63

and not stressed 33-42

Think I have to renew the thermal stuff Core-1 is alway the highest and 4 the lowest.

Any way I have a great machine running OSX without any problem.

Good board this!

• 10 months later...

OC´ing a core i7 system is a bit differnent than ocing a typical Intel System since the FSB got replaced with the BCLK. The procedure is about the same though. Frequency = BCLK*Multiplier. Use to lowest Uncore Frequency possible first to be sure it´s not the limiting factor and test what your CPU is capable of. Highering the voltage is probably not need for a little oc, and you shouldn´t go higher than 1,35V and 1,3VTT with air cooling anyway. And of course check your temps and stability with a torture test afterwards (fe Prime95)...

Anyway, i guess thats not the right thread accoring to the Title and you should make some research before asking a questions like "how can i oc my system?..."