EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED: ATI 3850/70 MEGADLON FB !

mitch_de

81 posts in this topic

-did you find a solution for your power color 3850, because I have the same probleme on Ipc ?

Look into the content of EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED (finder show content)

folder Ressources /gfxcards

YOu see lots of .plist , named for each card.

open the ati 38xxx megadolon with textedit

perhaps you can try&error to change the part of the second (@1,....) card output

@0,AAPL,boot-display

AQAAAA==

@0,ATY,EFIDisplay

TMDSA

@0,VRAM,memsize

AAAAIAAAACA=

@0,compatible

ATY,Megalodon

@0,connector-type

BAAAAA==

@0,device_type

display

@0,display-connect-flags

AAAEAA==

@0,display-type

LCD

@0,name

ATY,Megalodon

@1,VRAM,memsize

AAAAAAAAACA=

@1,compatible

ATY,Megalodon

@1,connector-type

AAIAAA==

@1,device_type

display

@1,display-type

NONE /// try LCD put in here ///

@1,name

ATY,Megalodon

Perhaps that helps.

I finally managed to get my GAINWARD 3870 512mB work with Megadlon and Ideneb 1.5.5 (with a clean install) !!! thank you so much !!! I have previously spent hours in trying to get ATI driver installed and only had this kernel panic screen each time; i was almost close to get mad.

I just have a question now: as i'm currently using OS 1.5.5 and i would like to update to 1.5.6 , is there anything to do again with EFISTUDIO/Megadlon in order to get my card work or not ? Thanks again for all your work.

Attempting to use for my PCIe HD3850 256MB. Using 10.5.6 (iPC OSX86)

So all I need to do is make sure there is not a NATIT.kext or NVCRUSH.kext, add the string for 3850 512_Megadlon with EFI_Extended, and it hopefully works?

And is the ATY_Megalodon.kext needed in both the ATIRNDRV.kext and in the ATINDRV.kext?

Same specs for GPU. Did you succeed? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I FINALLY succeeded and now I'm on 10.5.6 (vanilla) and my ATI Radeon HD 3850 512 Sapphire! ;):wacko:

THANK YOU mitch_de!!! :)

I have just one question about native resolution of my monitor. :) I have Samsung 245T 24", native res 1920 x 1200, and somehow I think screen look little bit stretched on 1920 x 1200?

Circle isn't circle, it's little bit more like egg, but just little. :)

Edit:

And I have only 60 Hertz Refresh Rate?

:)

OK, I FINALLY succeeded and now I'm on 10.5.6 (vanilla) and my ATI Radeon HD 3850 512 Sapphire! ;):)

THANK YOU mitch_de!!! :)

I have just one question about native resolution of my monitor. :) I have Samsung 245T 24", native res 1920 x 1200, and somehow I think screen look little bit stretched on 1920 x 1200?

Circle isn't circle, it's little bit more like egg, but just little. :)

Edit:

And I have only 60 Hertz Refresh Rate?

Thanks for the thanks ! ;)

1. 60 HZ for TFT Displays is perfect, because TFT hasnt any flickering - no need for other HZ settings They only have an effect on the classical tube display.

TFT input only can handle 50-70 HZ - never more !!! More Hz = no advantage but TFT cant sync anymore!

So that 60 HZ is OK for TFT usage.

for the TFT res question:

Which res does the monitor preferences does show ?

Your native one or some "nearest" but not equal ?

I cant help you with that question, but i would post that general question in this grafik thread,

i am sure its an global / general question may be interesting for others too.

...for the TFT res question:

Which res does the monitor preferences does show ?

Your native one or some "nearest" but not equal ?...

It show native res of Samsung 245T witch is - 1920 x 1200.

But OK, :angel: I'm realy, realy happy... it's just a little stretch :D , maybe about 5-10%.

Thanks again mitch_de!!!

All the best

I installed a 512mb Sapphire HD 3870 .......

.... I'll definitely have to pick up a silent cooler for this puppy.

A couple questions:

1. How do you initially install an ATI card? I tried doing a fresh install, but I got a scrambled screen upon booting. I tried -f and -x, but just got gobbly-gook on the screen. I ended up using one of my NVIDIA cards for the initial installation in VESA mode, then installing the ATI driver, then rebooting and install the ATI card.

i got a sapphire 3870 as well, but the fanless ultimate. it gave me quite some problems during install.

one solution is:

1. install with any ati (or) none gfx driver u like, it won´t work anyway

2. delete the radeon 2000 kexts. this can be done from another osx install, or with terminal from -s mode

or install dvd (u could even use terminal after install but before restart if u stop timeout with the protocol app)

3. you boot into ugly osx with only basic video support and install the ati driver of your choice.

this worked for me.

After i installed 10.5.6. it gives blue screen with working mouse pointer.

help

Same result.

It seems i have to live without QE/CI

Thanks for help

So, this is my next problem. I installed iPC 1.5.6 an my other partition a got

a) only a blue screen with dualmonitor mousepointer

B) after deleting kexts and finalized install process no QE/CI

this where i stand this evening, i wonder what else to try as my 10.5.5 driver

wont work properly. maybe its time to use efi strings? B)

i got a sapphire 3870 as well, but the fanless ultimate. it gave me quite some problems during install.

one solution is:

1. install with any ati (or) none gfx driver u like, it won´t work anyway

2. delete the radeon 2000 kexts. this can be done from another osx install, or with terminal from -s mode

or install dvd (u could even use terminal after install but before restart if u stop timeout with the protocol app)

3. you boot into ugly osx with only basic video support and install the ati driver of your choice.

this worked for me.

So, this is my next problem. I installed iPC 1.5.6 an my other partition a got

a) only a blue screen with dualmonitor mousepointer

B) after deleting kexts and finalized install process no QE/CI

this where i stand this evening, i wonder what else to try as my 10.5.5 driver

wont work properly. maybe its time to use efi strings? ;)

Yes, the way of efi strings vs natit&Co-injectors may help.

efi strings normaly more flexible /less problems when you update the system !

Dont forget the remove any gpu injectors + remove .mkext after generating your efistring !

Never use Efistring (gpu part) and natit&Co same time !

Also if you had used some modded gpu drivers (from .pkg downloads or OSX86 dvds) efi string gpu may not work. Try latest orig., unpatched Apple drivers insted if you get problems with your drivers.

well, i got not much further ..

on my running system (10.5.4) i switched to efi-strings (megadolon, the others meant either garbled screen or blue on one screen without mouse and blck on the other). It´s working fine as before.

the ipc 10.5.6 system is now running with efi / mega, but still without ci/qe.

any ideas? the pci info output of both systems is the same ..

thanks

ps: mitch_de, du kannst auch in Deutsch ´ne PM schicken. ;)

Glad to here that your 3870 worked using the efi string method.

Efi String is modern method and has less sideeffects / problems as using natit or any other injector kext.

I dont know if 2000Xt can work with Megadolon FB or uses/needs Lamna FB.

I would ask LASTEXILE (user name) with personal message - he knows that i think.

Now i use dsdt patching method for my ATI 3850 , which is similar to efi string but made by on the flay bios dsdt patch (PCEFI V9 / chameleon with dsdt , can do that). So i dont have (same as using efi string) to use natit.kext.

Hi mitch_de,

can you give me more information about this methode ?

what did you do ?

For the moment I have an 3450 and still waitting for driver (since 6 month) so I may buy a Sapphire Radeon™ HD 3850 512 Mo to have full QE/CI support.

Thanks

Is it possible to upload Efistudio_Extended please, I've been trying to get my Powercolor ATI Radeon 3850 512mb GDDR3 working for ages now, I have to constantly use this in safe mode as I get a scabbled screen if i try normal mode...

I've tried the various different methods out there but they seem to make my system unbootable, in which I have to fresh install.

I'm using iDeneb v1.4 - Max OS X 10.5.6

Cheers

Mark

Thank you!!!

I've finally got my graphics card working thanks to this...

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have a saphire hd3850 512gddr3, what graphical option did you choose during the installation of ideneb 1.4.

Thanks,

Barnum

Hi barnum

I didn't select any graphics drivers, then i had to boot into safe mode with flag -x -v then installed this patch.

Let me know how you get on. I'm just stuck trying to get my audio to work - its on board VIA VT1708B

Cheers

Mark

It work, I do the same thing and it's ok now

thanks,

barnum

Thanks for uploading by someone again !

I was i bit busy :)

HINT for making own/ little different settings:

You can also use that for adding own made / little edited selections !

Simple show package content and look for some .plist files, named for each GPU type.

Then copy one of nearest fittiing to desktop, edit it (maybe change VRAM, change Dev-IDs, change framebuffer name, add some framebuffer entries...) after finishing edit, save it named to your gpu type, The Name will be the selection entry later. Copy that renamed and modded .plist to the others.

hey mitch can you please upload or send me the EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED .sitx.zip file?

hey mitch can you please upload or send me the EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED .sitx.zip file?

Someone else had done this - see post #42 above.