EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED: ATI 3850/70 MEGADLON FB !

mitch_de

81 posts in this topic

It works excellent for my Sapphire HD 3870, BUT if I try a dual-gfx configuration (merged plists) with 3870 cards installed in PEG/PEG2, only the card which is selected as initial card in the bios recognizes it's monitors.

Pretty weird, a hint anybody?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm trying to use this with Gygabyte ATI 3850 512 GDDR3 but can't make it work (no CI/QE). Could someone post a working set of ATI* kext as I think I might messed them up trying different installers without backing up original files (my bad :) ). In the process I've even forgot I have 3850 and not 4850 so tried Netkas's method for that one too -- complete with plugging DVI2VGA to the second port. Naturally that didn't work either. I'm still determined to make it work as it's the last thing that stands in a way to the perfect system. Please help!

I'm using iPC 10.5.6 but I guess what I need is just original (unmodified) kexts from 10.5.6.

Thanks in advance!

Well... I've extracted the files from iPC install disk using Pacifist, installed them using Kext Install Helper, removed Natit and used EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED to set the strings... Still no go. During boot up I get:

display: family specific matching fails

The card shows up correctly in profiler but still no CI/QE :P What am I doing wrong?

post-389381-1236732515_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I'm trying to use this with Gygabyte ATI 3850 512 GDDR3 but can't make it work (no CI/QE). Could someone post a working set of ATI* kext as I think I might messed them up trying different installers without backing up original files (my bad :P ). In the process I've even forgot I have 3850 and not 4850 so tried Netkas's method for that one too -- complete with plugging DVI2VGA to the second port. Naturally that didn't work either. I'm still determined to make it work as it's the last thing that stands in a way to the perfect system. Please help!

I'm using iPC 10.5.6 but I guess what I need is just original (unmodified) kexts from 10.5.6.

Thanks in advance!

You may be right!

Especially after lots of try&error installs of different "patched" .pkgs or .kexts your gpu software basis maybe complete mixed up.

Its better in this case to go back to 100% orig. Apple and use that base for step by step new tries.

Better way to Download Apple OS X10.5.6 update (or you have it already, Combo maybe even better) and install:

all ATI.kext

IOGRAPHIC*kext

and the OpenGL Framework.

by using pacifist.

Open the .pkg, select the needed .kexts / OpenGL Framework , install them.

Be careful to only mark the needed things, not all before click on Install .

After that, to be sure repair rights.

Start in SAFE MODE (only once needed, press + holding down SHIFT key at boottime), erases all system caches. Restart

Thank you!!!

I've finally got my graphics card working thanks to this...

Cheers

Mark

Mark

What do you mean by "working"? Do you have full access to all resolutions? Or are you just managing to get your GC to display a single resolution?

I've been working through a whole variety of different approaches, but I just cannot for the life of me seem to get Leopard 10.5.6 to recognise my Sapphire 3850. The most Mitch's approach ever got me was a black screen after the boot logo, which was less than what I had before I started tinkering with it.

I have successfully managed to get everything working passably on my system bar the video card after installing some kexts for my onboard sound. The most I can coax out of it is one resolution (1024x768), but no hardware acceleration.

I'm running a Gigabyte X48-DS4, Intel Q9450 Quad Core processor (which OSX see's just fine), installed using iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6)

I know other guys in this thread have managed to get their Sapphire 3850's going, and yet others have done it using iDeneb, so it has to be possible.

If anyone could help me, seriously...provide me with ANYTHING for me to try, that would be great...I can't count the number of times I've formatted and reinstalled iDeneb now haha.

I really appreciate your help! Did exactly as you suggested -- used the files from 10.5.6 combo, installed, repaired permissions, rebooted in safe mode but unfortunately the result is still the same -- no CI/QE and "display: family specific matching fails" message in the boot log :( . Is there anything else I might be missing? Danke

I was getting the crappy gray restart screen before. Now I did a fresh install, and tried Megalodon - gave me a garbled screen after apple logo. A step closer! I tried Triakis and that takes me to a blue screen after apple logo. I checked for Natit, it isn't there....I feel like I'm missing something. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Mark, I would also like to know how you got your 3850 working. You are giving me hope!

Success with my Sapphire HD3850 512MB DDR3 PCI-Express card!

For all those struggling, this is what I did...

1. Installed Leopard (retail)

2. Installed Leopard 10.5.6 Combo Update.

3. Installed all kexts related to my motherboard (video excluded) using UInstaller.

4. Rebooted into safe mode with '-x' command at Darwin bootloader prompt.

5. Applied the Megalodon HD 3800 patch.

Rebooted, crossed my fingers, and it booted right into Leopard with the fancy welcome video. Everything is fully functional including QE/CI.

Many many many thanks to Mitch De! You ROCK.

(Time Machine works too if you apply the fix that UInstaller has for it).

Success with my Sapphire HD3850 512MB DDR3 PCI-Express card!

3. Installed all kexts related to my motherboard (video excluded) using UInstaller.

Rebooted, crossed my fingers, and it booted right into Leopard with the fancy welcome video. Everything is fully functional including QE/CI.

Cheers for the concise directions!

But I guess that'll mean then that I'll have to install it using Retail instead of iDeneb. The problem probably lies in the drivers that iDeneb installs by default. Agh...

Keep the feedback coming guys! You're giving me hope too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Works great on my Visiontek Radeon 3850.

The weird thing is that LSPCI shows my Radeon as the only audio device in my computer - the onboard Realtek isn't listed. :P It works in Ubuntu because I got a codec dump but patching HDA didn't work and it's not detected anywhere.

Hi,

i have a MSI HD3870 and a GA EP35 DS3, i use the EFI Studio extended but now i get a scrumbled SCREEN. I have try other natit.kext to install but there will be no video out working.

Must i enable video out (TV-Set) seperatly ? if i kexstat | grep ATY Lamna is loaded not megalodon .

Please help me ? May somebody have a howto, installer or patch for me.

cu,

lumovan

• 2 months later...

QUOTE(Kunal2139 @ Mar 12 2009, 12:06 PM) post_snapback.gifSuccess with my Sapphire HD3850 512MB DDR3 PCI-Express card!

Cheers for the concise directions!

But I guess that'll mean then that I'll have to install it using Retail instead of iDeneb. The problem probably lies in the drivers that iDeneb installs by default. Agh...

Keep the feedback coming guys! You're giving me hope too

I had same problem with Gecube HD 3850 Pro 512MB GDDR3 Overclocked Edition Dual DVI PCI-E, everything I tried caused the reboot screen on boot up. Tried this method with iAtkos v7 but without step 3 and all is working perfectly so far :poster_oops:

Thanks for the hard work and advice everyone.

• 1 month later...

Hi, same Graphic card (with an Asus P5K) but NO WAY to make "Graphic Extreme" working.... :-(

Any idea for the solution? I already tried the newest drivers, this tread's solution any any idea in between... No "Quartz Extreme" and it's needed for FCS3.... Before I will go back to FCS2 any idea to let a MSI ATI3870 works with QE enabled? Could be a monitor issue? I have an ASUS MW221u DVI... I am trying to tink of anything...

msi 3870 oc edition full working...

but leo starting 3 second blue screen after working..

thanks..

Hi, MSI ATI 3870 Graphic card (with a Mb Asus P5K) but NO WAY to make "Graphic Extreme" working.... :-(

Any idea for the solution? I already tried the newest drivers (ATI_Radeon_HD_3800_PCIE_Intel_10.5.6_-_10.5.x), this tread's solution any any idea in between... No "Quartz Extreme" and it's needed for FCS3 that I want to try before I buy (at work I already have).... Before I will go back to FCS2 any idea to let a MSI ATI3870 works with QE enabled? Could be a monitor issue? I have an ASUS MW221u DVI... I am trying to tink of anything...

• 4 weeks later...
could this work for a Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP (512 mb gddr3, dev id 0x9515)??

Good question, who would like to respond ?

iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 (Lite Edition).

My Hardware:

2GB Ddr 1

AMD64 3500+

Creative SB X-Fi

AVerMedia A16D PCI Hybrid DVB-T

SAPPHIRE HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 AGP

Samsung SyncMaster Magic CX226CW(Digital)

Cordless Desktop® MX™ 5000 Keyboard & Mice

http://www.epox.com/product.asp?id=EP-9NDA3J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mitch_de,

I use your efi_studio extended for my 3850 and it work well.

I see that you use DSDT now instead of gfx string.

Can you give me the entry you put in you DSDT ?

I try one but now the tv output doesn't work (with gfx string it work !)

Thanks,

Barnum

• 2 weeks later...

hi all! i used this efistudio_extended with my hd3850, works great BUT...macos is now loading toooo slow, i see apple logo for about 30 secs and then a blue screen...i have been wathing him for 5mins or even more and then dock appears and everything else. what's the problem? =( (i'm using iDeneb 10.5.7)

I made an new EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED with TRIAKIS( i not recommend anymore since 10.5.5) and MEGADOLON support for ATI 3850/3870 512 MB.

Both names are name for different framebuffer - problems with framebuffer may give blue screen or scrambled screen.

You dont need NATIT anymore (often also makes problems!). Delete it if you have it in extensions.

You can add ETHERNET Device which fixes TIMEMACHINE , then add 3850 MEGA.... Grafik Device and let the tool create your efistring in the boot.plist.

:idea: The ETHERNET device efistring , i didnt know that before (i used before that modded but very old IONET...kext TM fix ) can really named TIMEMACHINE_FIX , it sets the ethernet to build in=true , which IONET.KEXT always sets build in=false at boottime without efistring for ETHERNET Device.

I tested both with 10.5.6 :

Timemachine now works again (with orig. newest 10.5.6 IONET...kext) and orig. newest OpenGL/ ATI 10.5.6 drivers.

:thumbsup_anim:

HINT: The new great pcwiz UniversalInstaller has a bug, cant make both EFISTR TM_FIX+ EFISTR GPU. It only creates one string, even both sould be created.

Attatched EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED .sitx.zip (smaller) / also as .zip (small)

EDIT: May also work for ATI 3870 (also use 3850 Megadlon Selction)

DL today didnt work. Tried to upload again - not working. Must be a problem of the forum !

I will upload it later again.