Snow Leopard Upgrade from Leopard?

dwigmac

19 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is not the right area. However I would like to purchase Snow Leopard when it comes out of course. I currently have Mac OS X Leopard. I wanted to know if I could do an Upgrade of Snow Leopard rather then a complete/fresh install of Snow Leopard.

If an Upgrade is available, Will it be as good as a fresh install? And will it still minimize the amount of space of the operating system?(as I heard snow leopard would do this), And will the improvements to the speed and architecture of the system be as good?

If possible, explain what an upgrade actually does? (Does it remove the old operating system and put the new one on keeping user folders intact and applications intact? Or does it indeed just change files)

PS: I am tech-savvy. So explain in detail if you want!!

Thanks!

If you are on a Mac, then definitely. Pop the disc in, open the installer, follow the instructions. It selects the upgrade option automatically and will save your apps and all of your data. Once you are booted into Snow Leopard, everything should be the same except the OS you're running :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

i am currently using a macbook 13' bought in feb 2008. i would love to buy snow leopard but my only concern is losing my applications.. does the install keep the current applications..?? especially as they are all 32 bit..

i am currently using a macbook 13' bought in feb 2008. i would love to buy snow leopard but my only concern is losing my applications.. does the install keep the current applications..?? especially as they are all 32 bit..

Your applications are retained if you do an Upgrade.

Everything is lost if you do an Erase & Install.

If you do an Archive & Install, than you will still have all of your old data stored in a "Previous System" folder, which you can drag your apps and data back into your main hierarchy.

~Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

is there any difference between the snow leopard upgrade and a standard install of snow leopard? one of the things that i'm excited about in snow leopard is the smaller memory footprint... will this actually be the case if i simply upgrade from leopard or will i need to get a full version of snow leopard.

also, will it be possible to install directly from the upgrade disc or will i absolutely need to have leopard (which i already own) installed first?

thanks

On a hackintosh, if you did a erase then install, then all your kexts should be wiped?

But what about with an upgrade? Would I be able to just buy the disk (its not that expensive), and upgrade a hackintosh without screwing it too much if it is a vanilla install?

Has anyone tried upgrading yet? Are all the kexts retained? Or have you had to reload them?

Are there any kexts that do not work due to 64-bit issues or other issues?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a powerbook pro 2.16ghz intel core 2 duo. I also have an installation disk for snow leopard. I want to install snow leopard over leopard (what I'm currently running) - If I archive and install, will the archive take up extra space? Is there a way to just install snow leopard as an upgrade and keep all data and apps? I don't have the disks for my apps anymore, I've had them for so long on my computer and I've moved overseas twice!! I have no idea where they are and can't afford to lose the installed apps.

I haven't done an upgrade since leopard and that was ages ago.

• 10 months later...
On a hackintosh, if you did a erase then install, then all your kexts should be wiped?

But what about with an upgrade? Would I be able to just buy the disk (its not that expensive), and upgrade a hackintosh without screwing it too much if it is a vanilla install?

Has anyone tried upgrading yet? Are all the kexts retained? Or have you had to reload them?

Are there any kexts that do not work due to 64-bit issues or other issues?

So did you get an answer cuz i am curious too if i can make an upgrade to my Leopard without '' killing '' all that hard work with the kexts & all that