Samsung NC-10 US Version

67 posts in this topic

Pezmc: dont PM me questions like

"Any luck with getting your hands on one and making an installer?

Mine arrives tommorow and I would prefer it if I can do one install and have everything (bar wifi) working!"

i am expecting mine soon too, but i dont have it yet, once I have it, i will make a dedicated thread with updates/installers/workarounds/TS guides etc...

I said I will let you guys know. So just wait patiently and dont PM me.

But make sure you understand that people are trying to get everything working as much as possible, not what you would prefer! If something cant be done, there is a workaround like buying another component for example wifi card etc..

I got mine today and was wondering something, I've got an old 12" powerbook g4 lying around, whats the chances I could take the wifi card out of that and put it in the NC10 and it'll work straight off?

ps sorry if this is the wrong thread but just thought i'd post it in here with other NC10 users

installed with ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 worked perfectly on a uk nc10, i used the method of slightly partitioning the hdd and booting the install off of that instead of using a usb cd drive, works well, just need to install graphics drivers and test out the sound and usb see if those issues arise like others, wireless wasn't picked up but i've got an old apple card i'm going to chuck in later so that should get that sorted.

update: used paulsmsiwind utilities and got the drivers for the graphics, power meter etc, seems to be working well, gonna try the usb fix that Mysticus C* mentioned and see how that goes

Ok, before I get a huge backlash. from everyone here I just want to say I think I am going to buy a NC10 to install mac on it... I know the few that own one are trying to figure everything out, but I wanted to get some ideas flowing before i drop some loot. I was thinking of getting the Dell 1510 b/g/n half height wifi card. people seemed to have no problem installing it in the wind and mac os x, My question is do people think it will work fine in the nc10. I am basically looking for the wifi best card with minimal hacking. As I am a N00b. I would prefer plug and play. don't mind running an installer, or at the most a script from terminal.

I also noticed that their is a 4 gb pc5300 sodimm sold by corsair. Does anyone think that the 2gb limitation is based on hardware incompatibility? or perhaps the fact that there weren't 4gb dimm out there. or perhaps bios incompatibility, or a combo of all.

people may say 4gb is over kill, and yes probably for that little thing, But, my thoughts are in for a penny in for a pound so to speak.

Someone on here was interested in screen recording. try screenium I really like that app.

hope that helps and thanks for any responses. Once again, sorry for any redundancy in wifi card questions.

right run into a problem with the ideneb install, the typical problem where it gets stuck on the grey apple screen with a no entry logo in the middle, trying to figure a way around it,

@adamcarter i'm a complete noob at this, just figuring my way around everything bit by bit, its not as hard as it seems as the people here have done an excellent job at laying down everything that needs to be done, as a n00b i'd suggest reading the wiki page thats where i started, and in terms of your wifi card, from what i've read as long as the card is pci-e and appears to be supported on the wiki page then its all go, and if people have said they've got it working on the wind then it should work,

if i've got any of that wrong i'm sure theres some friendly people that could correct me

miniupdate: right tried ideneb stuck with still waiting for root etc, so reinstalled with the msiwindosx.iso and as above works perfectly from the offset, want to sort out the brightness issue thou,

I'm 99% sure that the 2gb limit is due to a chipset limitation, as every netbook i've seen uses the same chipset and sees only 2gb. Take the lenovo ideapad s10... it has 512mb of ram soldered on the mobo, and a socket where you can put a 2gb module, but it will tell you that the installed ram is 2 gb anyway... Those tiny pc's need a brand new dedicated chipset imho.

I've been documenting my experiences so far here: http://blog.stuart.shelton.me/archives/195

Just to follow up on a few questions asked here:

• AirPort cards from older Macs, especially PPC-era ones, will likely not work due to being MiniPCI rather than MiniPCIe. MiniPCI and MiniPCIe are physically and electrically incompatible;
  • You won't be able to use a Dell 1510N half-height card, because the body of the card won't be long enough for the top-edge to reach the screw-hole in the motherboard/chassis which secures it in place. You could perhaps rig up a bracket to extend to this point - but you'd be much better simply buying a card which is the right size in the first place ;)
  • Intel's specs. page for the 945GSE states that only 2Gb is supported and, as I mentioned, the 4Gb SODIMMs are hellaciously expensive... but I have heard of other chipsets which can actually happily handle more memory than they're technically rated for.

thanks i will buy the 1505 then. was also wondering...the nc10 has multitouch track pad, i wonder with forced driver install, or hack could we get the new mbp/mba/mb multi touch capabilities as seen with the iphone ....(without installing third party software).

thanks for all updates

oh I know this is highly cautioned against

anyway to change the bios screen to add the mac chime, or change the look at all. I know the bios has important info and you need to be able to change stuff. Would really like this to be a complete conversion.

I have heard of people doing bios silent mode whatever that is. Or what about a better OS selector something with a gui... rather than a dos prompt looking screen with operating system choices.

did you use the english_gui to find out what the buttens are?? if it crashes next time you try it, don't press nothing on it, just leave it to do its magic, it'll take around 10 mins or so and it'll then say done,

@pezmc

aah the HFS+ partition error, well to get around that i merely started up the samsung recovery solution III thats pre-installed (hit F4 as soon you see the blue samsung screen on boot up) it will then come to a black dos screen asing whether you want to start the recovery by pressing enter, i pressed F8 don't really know if it makes a difference but F8 loads windows as i got to the actual screen where it asks me do i want to back up and restore i simply pressed the x on the top right of the window, it asks do you want to shut down select yes, wait for it to shut down, then you start it up again and the error is gone. thats my solution for it, and it works everytime.

@ngreg1

depends what install you used? if you used msiwindosx86.iso it should work straight away, if you used the ideneb one, the webcam didn't work for me when i installed that one,

Having no interest in an XP Home laptop, I wiped the machine's original drive entirely. The boot-132 bootloader uses efi_boot v5.1 (which doesn't currently support hibernate) which allows you to add a Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file to your EFI partition in which you can specify a "Quiet Boot" key with string value "Yes" to get automatic boot with the standard Apple firmware logo, without having to type anything on (re)boot.

This won't chime, though, as there won't be any audio drivers available at this early stage.

Using boot-132 to install from an original 10.5 installation DVD image, everything that could be expected to work does work - including the on-board webcam, bluetooth, audio (with addition of the AppleAzalia kext) and graphics (which works when booting from disc, but not when booting from boot-132 itself on a USB key... go figure :unsure: )

Hey, i installed the msiwindosx86.iso on the german NC10, it was not able to boot when i disabled the kernel-patch. it only showed the grey boot screen with the apple logo for a second and then restarted. i tried with the kernel installed and it worked!

anyhow, the system profiler says that i do have a "1.6 intel core solo" - which is not true.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: NC10

Processor Name: Intel Core Solo

Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 512 KB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBA11.00BB.B03

Serial Number: W1234567890

any idea how to enable the 2nd core ?

@pezmc

aah the HFS+ partition error, well to get around that i merely started up the samsung recovery solution III thats pre-installed (hit F4 as soon you see the blue samsung screen on boot up) it will then come to a black dos screen asing whether you want to start the recovery by pressing enter, i pressed F8 don't really know if it makes a difference but F8 loads windows as i got to the actual screen where it asks me do i want to back up and restore i simply pressed the x on the top right of the window, it asks do you want to shut down select yes, wait for it to shut down, then you start it up again and the error is gone. thats my solution for it, and it works everytime.

@ngreg1

depends what install you used? if you used msiwindosx86.iso it should work straight away, if you used the ideneb one, the webcam didn't work for me when i installed that one,

If I press F4 is gets stuck at "windows is loading files". Over 5 minutes so far.