Samsung NC-10 US Version

67 posts in this topic

I just got my Samsung NC-10GW from Newegg. This thing is awesome. I require this to be fully operational, as this is my replacement laptop, so I will do my best to catalog the best an easiest way to get this netbook fully operational.

What Doesn't Work Anywhere

LAN - There is a problem getting the Marvel Yukon 8040 working (as described here and here)

Wireless - It's a known issue with these Realtek adapters. Swap it out for a Dell 1490 or similar mini-PCI-E card. They can be had from eBay for as little as $25. I personally installed a Dell 1390 and it works great. Please note that you can't use a Dell 1510 due to the height limitations. For more information click here.

MSIWindosx86.iso

What works with MSIWindosx86.iso out of the box:

Graphics Acceleration

Sleep mode via Fn-Esc (although when either my SDHC or USB DVD-ROM drive was in, it's wake up by itself; needs more testing)

Bluetooth (kinda funny)

Sound

Camera

SD Card Reader (sometimes tricky, see USB devices below)

Volume Up/Down via Fn-Left/Right Arrow

Mute Sound via Fn-F6

Disable Trackpad via Fn-F10

USB Devices (if you start OS X with something in, then it works fine. If you don't, sometimes it doesn't recognize USB devices. It's weird. Also the sleep problem as first seen by djellison)

Battery Indicator

Full APM settings

What doesn't work with MSIWindosx86.iso out of the box:

USB (unless the device was present during bootup)

Wireless (Known issue with these netbooks, replace with a Dell 1490 or similar mini-PCI-E card)

LAN

Brightness Control (via Fn-Up/Down Arrow OR via System Preferences)

Headphone Jack

Mic Input

LED lights on the front of the unit displaying if Num Lock or Scroll Lock are enabled (only Caps Lock displays correctly)

Windows/Command Key Switch with Alt (Easily "fixed" in System Preferences)

MSIWindosx86 Fixes:

Here will be a list of fixes to the above problems

MSIWindosx86 Non-Fixes:

Sound - MSI Wind Headphone switcher shell script - No change

Sound - Modified switch script by adie - No change

I'm still testing, so this list is nowhere near completed. Please post your recommendations below, and if there's a fix, please verify it!

Misc. Ramblings as I go on:

23:06 14/11/08 - ScreenFlow crashes on startup. Maybe because there's no/poor USB/microphone support? This is bad for me :( I'll have to test some more screencasting apps while I'm downloading some more osx86 isos.

22:35 14/11/08 - Neither the headphone switch.sh shell script nor the modified version version by adie seem to get the headphones working. I'm a unix guy, and I know I typed it correctly.

21:29 14/11/08 - Ok, after a full Shutdown, Bluetooth is back. Weird. I'm going to try to get the headphone jack working with that shell script.

21:24 14/11/08 - Bluetooth stopped working after the first restart. That's weird. I wanted to use it for Bluetooth File transfer since my new Dell 1490 Wireless mini-PCI-E card hasn't arrived, but now I can't. :tomato:

whitespace: your usb proble sounds like usb mount issue... which is very easy to fix :)

can you check the kernel version and system.kext version?

when they are not same version it happens! i explained the situation many times in my threads usualy :)

there are in fact two USB problems

1) usb mount problem:

symptom: usb devices are recognized in the profiler, but they do not mount, unless you stick them at start up

cause: system.kext version and kernel version are mismatch (== not same version)

solution: get the correct version of files (usually system.kext is the one you will be looking for)

2) usb 2.0 high speed bus problem:

symptom: usb 2.0 controller is not recognized or working funny. (usualy shutdown or restart problem arises with this issue)

cause: this is a bios issue, which osx cannot get ownership/or recognize the high speed bus, as a result, high speed bus wont work. (you can confirm this in system profiler,usb tab, high speed bus will be missing, but usb devices will still work/mount, although at usb 1.1 speeds which is quite slow)

solution: pcgenusbehci or latest fix.

both of the troubles can be fixed either manually if u understand above statements or you can use my update package in here

go to bike town link updates section, download combo patches, the package u need is the post combo patch.

for mount fix: choose one of the kernel options! that is it. All the options there have correct system.kext with them. unselect anything else

for usb 2.0 controller fix: post combo patch/system functions/usb controller fix/latest(new)

I just got the UK version of the NC10 yesterday, and I'm trying to do an OSX install from an Apple original 10.5 DVD, avoiding customised/hacked kexts where possible.

USB works fine, sleep works fine, bluetooth works fine, and I'm currently using a hacked GMA950 driver but plan to stick with the OS driver and edit the device IDs when I reinstall properly.

What I just can't get working at all is the onboard sound.

The System Preferences Sound applet shows no audio device being installed, and I've tried just about every kext/patcher than I've been able to find, and nothing helps :)

Can anyone suggest a foolproof way of getting sound (Intel HDA with a Realtek ALC272 codec?) working on this machine?

What I just can't get working at all is the onboard sound.

The System Preferences Sound applet shows no audio device being installed, and I've tried just about every kext/patcher than I've been able to find, and nothing helps :(

Not sure if this helps, but when I tried the ideneb 10.5.5 install, I also got not sound. But, when I went "back" to the msiwind0sx86 10.5.4 install, things went much more smoothly with the install - and I had sound. So maybe there is an issue with doing the 10.5.5 install straight away.

Not sure if this helps, but when I tried the ideneb 10.5.5 install, I also got not sound. But, when I went "back" to the msiwind0sx86 10.5.4 install, things went much more smoothly with the install - and I had sound. So maybe there is an issue with doing the 10.5.5 install straight away.

I just recently found this download:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=25638

... which enabled sound, and works a treat :thumbsdown_anim:

(No input and headphone-switching doesn't work - but then it never does...)

All I need now is to wait for a new WiFi card to arrive from eBay, and I'm all set.

both of the troubles can be fixed either manually if u understand above statements or you can use my update package in here

go to bike town link updates section, download combo patches, the package u need is the post combo patch.

for mount fix: choose one of the kernel options! that is it. All the options there have correct system.kext with them. unselect anything else

for usb 2.0 controller fix: post combo patch/system functions/usb controller fix/latest(new)

Thanks to Mysticus!

I just did this on my NC10 - downloaded the combo patch, ran it, and installed the 9.4.0 kernel ONLY. I made a mistake a couple of times by trying to do the whole combo update to 10.5.5 and then doing the whole combo patch (or parts of it). This will mess you up. BUT, if you just do the 9.4.0 kernel and nothing else, you will fix the usb. All three usb ports now work, as does the sdhc card slot. Dual boot XP and OSX up and running now. Just waiting for my ram and new wireless card in the mail.

DJKwai: as soon as I get my hands on the NC10 i will wrap up an installer for this topic for you guys and update path... if you follow my threads you will see i m not joking :rolleyes:

I will let you guys know what options to choose and if any additional packages needed, i will include them... lets see what will happen, for the network issue, i already have one card that is recognized built-in as airport with a broadcom chip, i will check the details and let u guys updated... :)

DJKwai: as soon as I get my hands on the NC10 i will wrap up an installer for this topic for you guys and update path... if you follow my threads you will see i m not joking :P

I will let you guys know what options to choose and if any additional packages needed, i will include them... lets see what will happen, for the network issue, i already have one card that is recognized built-in as airport with a broadcom chip, i will check the details and let u guys updated... :)

That would be awesome! Thanks a ton!

I am using a Hong Kong version of NC10, and I am using ideneb 10.5.5, sound works straight out of the box, while I need to install the new GMA950 driver to get the screen resolution works properly.

With sleeps, I can get it sleep, but I don't seems to able to bring it back on by pressing the power button

I´d like to buy the Samsung NC10, too (I'am from Germany) Ofcourse with OSX.

Someone mentioned to install a Touchscreen kit. Do you know where to get one?

At ebay I only found 7" and 8.9" touchscreen kits but nothing about 10.2".

Thanks

it was here, i missed it, there were 4 in stocks, and in couple of days they are gone :dev:... but if there was one, that means there are others... it is just a matter of time...

hey guys,

i found the source of the seller

http://forums.msiwind.net/hacks-and-mods/r...ived-t3825.html

here his name on the forum and ebay same ziguan

he found the oem manufacturer for the 10.2 touchscreens and unfortunately it is like made to order (since 10.2 screens are not very popular, yet, no mass production i suppose), so ordering big quantity is requires money :censored2:

anyone wanna hope in the bus to contact him? i will hopefully...

Hi !!!!

I'm new in here, so...First: I Love you all for what you're doing...

Now, let's talk about serious things...

1. I confirm NC10 works great with APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME. I mounted the one i had in my MACBOOK.

2. I think I found a new problem: NC10 does not recognize the power supply plugged in when I'm working without Battery. So, even if the battery is not plugged, the icon on menu bar says me: no batteries available(obviously, it normally shows the battery duration) but also: power source battery. Tha t means that the power saving settings works in this case like the laptop is working with battery, not with the p.supply.

Hope this will be useful.

Thanks a lot again, sorry for my english...

j.