Samsung NC-10 US Version

67 posts in this topic

hi all, i installed yesterday leopard 10.5.4 from iATKOS v4i and sound bluetooth, graphics works ok.

Now i ordered dell 1390.

One question: can i upgrade to 10.5.5 or graphics or other things are not supported?

Thanks

Xeo84-

I've installed from the msiwindosx86 (which loads to 10.5.4), installed my card, and gotten everything working (or, everything that can, at least). But, I tried to do the upgrade to 10.5.5 last night, and it bricked my install - turned into a revolving reboot. I also was unable to make successful use of Mysticus C's pre-and post the 10.5.5 combo upgrade multiple times - resulting in my nc10 bricking and wasting lots of my time dealing with loading and reloading. So I'm not convinced we can do the upgrade yet, or at least until someone far wiser than me figures out the right fixes to make it possible. Mysticus C said he was going to work on this, but hasn't popped back up on the boards yet with his solution (which I think he will figure out based on his other stuf f- very thorough).

You could always do the Ideneb install. It goes straight to 10.5.5 - but I've had bad luck the few times I've tried that install. Others on this board seem to do okay with it as far as I can tell.

UPDATE! - Mysticus C is indeed on the case. He has been posting on the NC10 UK release thread and says he is very close to having the installer done for us - one that goes to 10.5.6, and where the headphone/speaker switch works. This looks good.

Thanks DJKwai, so now i not upgrade and use the actual version!!

Another question, to perform dual boot, xp-leopard there are some problem with mbr or i can install leopard on a secondary partition created on my disk??

thanks again!

If I press F4 is gets stuck at "windows is loading files". Over 5 minutes so far.

that seems strange, whenever i go to enter mine it goes up an running almost straight away, that was the only way i managed to get rid of the HFS+ partition error, sorry mate can't think of nothing else.

@DJKwai, getting to 10.5.5 with msiwindosx is possible, i've managed to do it, it took a little trial and error, if you find that your system is constantly rebooting on the grey screen try booting with either -v or -x for safe mode both should get you into the system after they've run the text line, type in exit and it should boot in, afterwards re-run the post-combo fix by Mysticus C* and make sure that you install both the kernal 9.4.0 StageXNU, and also go down to additional fixes and select test 2 that'll get your keyboard working after the update, also

ICHx AHCI-jmicronAHCI-PIIX (Fixed Ids and icons) which is found under chipset

under SMBIOS select Macbook and SMBIOS Resolver, try that and see how it goes? those are what i used to get my system up to 10.5.5 using the msiwindosx86.iso, i am too waiting for the Mysticus C* patch but figured i'd use some trial and error to see what i can get working myself now. just need to order a wifi card or as mysticus c mentioned in his thread that there maybe a way to force the atheros card to work which would be awesome.

Thanks DJKwai, so now i not upgrade and use the actual version!!

Another question, to perform dual boot, xp-leopard there are some problem with mbr or i can install leopard on a secondary partition created on my disk??

thanks again!

yes you can install leopard on the secondary partition however you will have to fix the mbr. if i recall correctly you have to fix it from which ever side is the active partition, if you have xp as the active then do it via that, otherwise use terminal in osx to fix the mbr.

i'll try and find the links that i used to correct my problem and i'll post them here for you when i get a chance

UPDATE! - Mysticus C is indeed on the case. He has been posting on the NC10 UK release thread and says he is very close to having the installer done for us - one that goes to 10.5.6, and where the headphone/speaker switch works. This looks good.

Awesome! I can't wait! I've been dying to put osx on my nc10 but I wanted to wait to see if someone was going to make a custom installer for it. Color me pumped!

yes you can install leopard on the secondary partition however you will have to fix the mbr. if i recall correctly you have to fix it from which ever side is the active partition, if you have xp as the active then do it via that, otherwise use terminal in osx to fix the mbr.

i'll try and find the links that i used to correct my problem and i'll post them here for you when i get a chance

Thanks i found the way to perform dual boot!!! now i will try to install linux and perform triple boot!!

thanks again!

Finally got my Samsung NC10 (uk version) in black yesterday.

Also bought a stick of 2gb ram and replaced the 1gb samsung one.

I must say that I'm very impressed.

Battery life is great - typically 6 or more hours with battery management.

Deleted all samsung partitions.

Used disk utility to make 2 partitions

1st for osx (mac os extended journaled).

2nd as fat.

Rebooted

Installed windows xp on 2nd partition and all samsung drivers and updates.

Installed msiwindosx.iso on 1st partition and everything seems to be working

fine apart from the usb hotplug issue.

Using darwin as boot manager.

Tried installing vmware fusion 2.0 and has killed out my osx, no longer booting

osx just getting the restart box. To be fair i did install the dmg from the ntfs partition

because i saved it there using the wireless to download it on the xp side.

Anyone know what verion of parallels i can install that will work without vt??

Just need a working solution to run 1 bespoke application that my company uses.

Will be getting a replacement wireless card for osx soon and hopefully a nice

300 - 500gb sata laptop hdd to complete this awesome little machine.

Anyone have any guides to replacing these items?

Regards

Niteman1969

On my Asus EEE 900 the fan runs continuously when using osx86.

Can anyone tell me about the Samsung NC-10 fan behavior while running osx?

I'm really interested in buying one, but fan noises can really irritate me.

Many thanks in advance!

Installed msiwindosx.iso on 1st partition and everything seems to be working

fine apart from the usb hotplug issue.

hi there mate, the usb not mounting is not really an issue as mentioned by Mysticus C* earlier in the thread, but basically its to do with the kernal not matching the .kext, the solution that i found is go to Mysticus C* website and download the post combo updater, double click on it and on the customise section untick everything apart from the 9.4.0 XNU kernal and then click install, let it run and then restart it afterwords it should all work including the SD card reader picking up SDHC as well

On my Asus EEE 900 the fan runs continuously when using osx86.

Can anyone tell me about the Samsung NC-10 fan behavior while running osx?

I'm really interested in buying one, but fan noises can really irritate me.

Many thanks in advance!

well when i use it, i don't really notice the fan that much at all, it does turn on and off when needed, so its not continuously on for me, its definately one of the best netbooks i've used, just waiting for my wifi card and then i won't have any need for the xp side any more lol.

Thanks for your reply, Mr_CP.

I used msiwindosx86.iso, the camera doesn't work when I use Image Capture or a third party application --- iAlertU, i AlertU can be downloaded at here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29578, could you help to test it? Many thanks.

try this app instead its already pre-built into leopard, press alt+space and type in photobooth its sort of a red symbol click it and your webcam should come on.

+++i tried ialertu it didn't work with mine yet mine still works with photobooth, the program is still in beta so perhaps its an unsupported feature??

that seems strange, whenever i go to enter mine it goes up an running almost straight away, that was the only way i managed to get rid of the HFS+ partition error, sorry mate can't think of nothing else.

@DJKwai, getting to 10.5.5 with msiwindosx is possible, i've managed to do it, it took a little trial and error, if you find that your system is constantly rebooting on the grey screen try booting with either -v or -x for safe mode both should get you into the system after they've run the text line, type in exit and it should boot in, afterwards re-run the post-combo fix by Mysticus C* and make sure that you install both the kernal 9.4.0 StageXNU, and also go down to additional fixes and select test 2 that'll get your keyboard working after the update, also

ICHx AHCI-jmicronAHCI-PIIX (Fixed Ids and icons) which is found under chipset

under SMBIOS select Macbook and SMBIOS Resolver, try that and see how it goes? those are what i used to get my system up to 10.5.5 using the msiwindosx86.iso, i am too waiting for the Mysticus C* patch but figured i'd use some trial and error to see what i can get working myself now. just need to order a wifi card or as mysticus c mentioned in his thread that there maybe a way to force the atheros card to work which would be awesome.

@Mr. CP-

Tried it, and it sort of worked, after the system froze a couple of times. The graphics got messed up in the process though - and then when I reloaded the drivers, my system bricked. But I had it up and running in 10.5.5 for a little while. Right now I'll either reload msiwindox86 or just wait a little longer for Mysticus C to finish up his full explanation.

• 3 weeks later...