Do ATi 4670 and 4650 cards work under OSX?

MikeHunt79

60 posts in this topic

1) Quick fix to get the ATI 4670 working on Snow leopard is to delete the ATIRadeonX2000.kext from SLE folder. Resolutions 1280x1024 on my monitor with SL in my setup. However I don't think QE and Open CL are working properly. Also, Cinebench benchmarks are much worse than in Windows 7 so this is not a solution if you want to use your 4670 for graphics intensive apps. Also, if you do an update SLthen the update tool will replace the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and you will have to delete it each time after you do an update.

2) I got around having to delete the kext by running nekas QE/CI patch (http://netkas.org/?cat=7) and manually edited the kext by deleting all the device IDs in the ATIRAdeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller kext and leaving only the one for ATI4670. Updates worked and I didn't have to delete the kext. However I get warning messages about these kexts so I don't recommend this as a good solution so my recommendation is to stick to number 1 in the short term. However it does allow updates without having to keep deleting the ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

Hope this moves things along so others can experiment more for a better solution but at least this makes the ATI4670 usable for basic graphics.

Good luck!

Why they (MacOS drivers guru) don't want to release drivers with full support of QE/CI for Radeon HD 4650 and 4670. For they it is so easy, i think! :D Just 1280x1024 and QE/CI support :yoji:)

Hundred thousands of users are waiting for this driver (oh, about year)!

there is no framebuffer driver (for res change) in macosx for rv710 rv730 rv740 chips, and without it you can forget about qe/ci

Ouch... And so... We have no any hope to see the solution for our cards in nearest future? Thanks for answer :unsure:

I don't know anything about writing drivers, but cannot use the Linux driver to have the framebuffer?

And can I get a better resolution than 1024x768? My notebook is 1366x768. I've tried to force the resolution in chameleon but it hangs at boot...

Thanks!

I don't know anything about writing drivers, but cannot use the Linux driver to have the framebuffer?

And can I get a better resolution than 1024x768? My notebook is 1366x768. I've tried to force the resolution in chameleon but it hangs at boot...

When you're in Darwin (or in Chameleon) promt (before booting up OSX), enter this string:

"Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32"

I think, it will help.

I've tried, but nothings happen... It runs at 1024x768... Maybe it's not using vesa drivers....

In system profiler the card is listed like ATI Radeon HD4890 with 256 mb of RAM

Vendor ID 1002 Device ID 9480

Do I have to remove some kext? I've removed only the ATIX200 kext.

Quote from another Thread:

And the reason nothing happens is because vesa mode dont support widescreen... at the bootloader try to type ?video and press enter then you can see what modes that vesa support on your gfx.

Myself i got managed to reach 1400x1050x32. Think that's max i can get. I hope so badly Apple releases 46xx Driver. 1920x1080 would be far more comfortable. :P

Edit: Corrected 1680x1050 in 1400x1050. That makes sense, since Vesa does not support widersceen. -.-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've tried searching but it doesn't appear anyone here is using these cards... I'm going with a fanless system, and this card only uses between 10W to 40W so is ideal, and isn't far off a 8800gt when it comes to 3d. The 4850 is overkill for me and gets too hot.

Right now I'm using a 7800gt and it works great in OSX, dual screens, QE/QI and everything. I'm using EFI strings for this.

If I upgrade to an ATi 4670, can I still use dual screens or are the drivers not up to scratch yet?

its getting there... I got a kext to load, thx to several different posts I found on this board... but the 4600 frame buffer is tricky or not happening on 10.6.0/10.6.1 need to be 10.6.2- and my system wont do it:(

here is a link to some early files:

http://rapid4me.com/?q=ati+radeon+hd+4670+driver+mac+os+x

make sure ALL you data is backup up proper, dont come crying to me about this or that. I do my edits on a 16gb thumb drive. when it hits the fan, i restore or edit, so I am never out of luck

youtube.com/fr3qnast3

• 2 weeks later...
So do these cards now work in 10.6.2 ?

I have this card ATI 4670 full working with:

chamaleon 2-0-RC4-r684

Graphics Enabler set to Yes

ATI4600Controler.kext

ATI4800Controler.kext

ATIFrameBuffer.kext

ATIRadeon2000.kext (this one I deleted all IOPCIMatch in IOKitPersonalities and put only 0x94901002 from its Info.plist)

ATIRADEONX200GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

ATISupport.kext

ATY_INIT.kest

EvOenabler.kext

I have deleted /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

and cleaned boot caches and reboot with -f flag.

What kind of this error is?

I'm using ATI HD 4650

img0089hb.jpg

I'm using Netkas boot and added my device-id to ATIRadeonx2000.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext.

Reboot with -f -v and i got this {censored}.

Do I have to buy a another video card?

• 2 weeks later...
It’s work for my Sapphire Hd 4670 DDR4 - 512 MB! I’ve learn from http://yltan.com/blog/install-guidesnow-le...1m-es2l-hd4670/

Another very important tool is “kext utility” - www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647 , use it to force rebuilding script before restart.

I've tried your guide with my 4670, but still get no QE up and running. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of this error is?

I'm using ATI HD 4650

img0089hb.jpg

I'm using Netkas boot and added my device-id to ATIRadeonx2000.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext.

Reboot with -f -v and i got this {censored}.

Do I have to buy a another video card?

same here

start in safe mode

-x

but only for viewing

still not fully working patch is placed NEwhere

em also looking 4

i hav ati mobility 4650 in my laptop