Do ATi 4670 and 4650 cards work under OSX?

MikeHunt79

60 posts in this topic

I've tried searching but it doesn't appear anyone here is using these cards... I'm going with a fanless system, and this card only uses between 10W to 40W so is ideal, and isn't far off a 8800gt when it comes to 3d. The 4850 is overkill for me and gets too hot.

Right now I'm using a 7800gt and it works great in OSX, dual screens, QE/QI and everything. I'm using EFI strings for this.

If I upgrade to an ATi 4670, can I still use dual screens or are the drivers not up to scratch yet?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My 4670 works abeit at a fixed resolution on iPCOSX86 setup. Would still hope fro proper drivers at some point so I can enable quartz etc. iLife 09 works apart from iMovie because of the lack of quartz.

Surely one of the other drivers could be used?

• 2 months later...
My 4670 works abeit at a fixed resolution on iPCOSX86 setup. Would still hope fro proper drivers at some point so I can enable quartz etc. iLife 09 works apart from iMovie because of the lack of quartz.

Surely one of the other drivers could be used?

What about going to ATI's website and downloading the 48xx source for Linux, I know that OS X is based on BSD and Linux drivers work on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. So if it is possible how would you go about compiling them for OS X?

Please anyone help with this.

• 1 month later...

Is 46xx working in Snow Leopard?

I think not because someone would extract kexts like they have done with 48xx.

Apple will never support 46xx because there will be new cards out soon and they will focus on them.

I will buy nVidia next time.

Our tester with 4670 broke his hands in road accident, so he cant test it so far.

:wacko::)

Sorry to hear that, I hope he gets better soon. I've broken a few bones when out on the bike before now and it's never a nice experience...

• 1 month later...
i just installed osx (kalway) on a system based on my intel dg33tl board and it's working fine with my sapphire radeon 4670. the one with the arctic cooling fan. quiet. haven't tried tweaking anything yet.

Hi Frogfeet, how did you got it working? can you explain us please a little more?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...