Can you create your own Time Machine

epicurus

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I am in the process of selling my PC stuff so that I can buy a new macbook pro. I have a lot of data that I have on a 400gig hdd which I will need to keep.

I was wondering if its possible to make your own time machine to back up your mac and also act as a network storeage device.

I have been looking about but not been able to find any info. Sorry if this has been covered already.

If you could point me in the right direction to any posts or sites that cover this that would be great.

Regards

• 1 month later...

I set up a file server with Leopard Server... share the drive on the network through AFP and you can choose it as a destination time machine drive. Pretty slick, really. Just have to make sure each user that'll use time machine on it has read/write permissions to the drive.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I am in the process of selling my PC stuff so that I can buy a new macbook pro. I have a lot of data that I have on a 400gig hdd which I will need to keep.

I was wondering if its possible to make your own time machine to back up your mac and also act as a network storeage device.

I have been looking about but not been able to find any info. Sorry if this has been covered already.

If you could point me in the right direction to any posts or sites that cover this that would be great.

Regards

Look for something that will let you make a duplicate of your computer in the form of an image. I know for PC there is Acronis TrueImage, but they probably have software to do the same on a MAC. Check their site.

Hi

Regards

keep the pc hdd with the osx system and user data.

get your macbook, plug n the hdd over usb- or firewire case before you ever startet it (you cando this later also but it'S easier and faster that way)

when it comes to setting up the acbook with your account information (username ect.) choose to restore from another installation on this computer, it will find the external drive and import your settings and files.

pretty easy, one of the greatest things in using macs to me