New MacBookPro 10.5.5 Disc not suitable for Vanilla x86!

BlackCH

22 posts in this topic

I didnt know where to put this. Mods can move it wherever fits better...

Just curious; I was trying to install 10.5.5 on my laptop using the last MacBookPro disc. I've installed a full vanilla OS from the Retail 10.5.4 disc before without any problems. So I copied the ISO to an USB HD and edited the OSInstall script to bypass the HW checks. Also droped the usual kexts to be able to boot (PMdisabler, decrypt, etc)... Installed chamelon as well.

First boot (with -v -f flags) got a panic related to AppleRTC.kext. Replaced that with the appleComboUpdate 10.5.5 one; no panic anymore but AppleUSBEHCI.kext couldnt find my USB ports anymore... Replaced that one too. Now many missing dependencies...

I manage to install the packages using a 10.5.4 installer disk (replacing the pkgs); so the installation finished without errors, but again, this time from the fresh installed OS, same thing.

I wonder if it would happend the same if you try to install it on the old MBP (or other old models) or this is some sort of new HW Apple has implemented recently...

TITLE EDITED in acordance...

DVDs that come with laptops usually only contain support for the laptops and no other machine.

Thats absolutely false.

This is a case of where adding the Nforce chipset features has broken support on existing hackintoshes. The right people are looking at fixing this already. Stay clear of this and probably 10.5.6 update (when its eventually released) until a solution becomes available.

This is a case of where adding the Nforce chipset features has broken support on existing hackintoshes. The right people are looking at fixing this already. Stay clear of this and probably 10.5.6 update (when its eventually released) until a solution becomes available.

Nforce support that the scene have added, or Apple themselves? I'd be surprised if it's Apple as no Apple products use nForce chipsets. The new Macbook and Macbook Pros use 9400 mGPU.

yeah and nforce chipsets...

Hm. According to Nvidia's website there is a difference between Nforce chipsets and the mGPU solutions. There is no mention of nforce being used in mobile chipsets.

I guess I'm probably wrong though. I'm just going by the information on Nvidia's own website.

new mac books use hybird sli create by nvidia which created the nforce chipsets which up to now no motherboard supports hybird sli but future nforce boards will meaning leopard should be adjusted to match like the nforce hackingtosh's do has anyone tried this with a nforced board it should work similarly to standard vanilla uses but for the nforce also is the kernel different?

new mac books use hybird sli create by nvidia which created the nforce chipsets which up to now no motherboard supports hybird sli but future nforce boards will meaning leopard should be adjusted to match like the nforce hackingtosh's do has anyone tried this with a nforced board it should work similarly to standard vanilla uses but for the nforce also is the kernel different?

Actually, the Macbook pro does not use Hybrid SLi. Nvidia have publicly stated that Hybrid SLi is not supported on the Macbook Pro here.

Hybrid SLi is supported on motherboards that are based on "nForce 720a, 730a, 750a SLI and 780a SLI"

I'm not able to find out exactly what chipset the Macbook and Macbook Pro uses, other than it being NVIDIA 9400M based.

Hm. According to Nvidia's website there is a difference between Nforce chipsets and the mGPU solutions. There is no mention of nforce being used in mobile chipsets.

I guess I'm probably wrong though. I'm just going by the information on Nvidia's own website.

Check this out, Asus already made something to use new NV chipset and Hybrid SLI tech.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=508

Actually, the Macbook pro does not use Hybrid SLi. Nvidia have publicly stated that Hybrid SLi is not supported on the Macbook Pro here.

Hybrid SLi is supported on motherboards that are based on "nForce 720a, 730a, 750a SLI and 780a SLI"

I'm not able to find out exactly what chipset the Macbook and Macbook Pro uses, other than it being NVIDIA 9400M based.

It's called MCP79MXT-B2

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10...isplayport.html

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to get this version working on my nvidia motherboard; I'm very surprised to see that now i can use vanilla kernel (9.5.1 version), but I get a lot of KP.

That's interesting... I really want to see if anyone can upload it to demon... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...