Leopard on Pre-Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Survey of nForce chipset desktop MOBO Ownership  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Which nForce chipset + CPU MOBO desktop system do you have?

• Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO?
    • Series 7 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 6 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 5 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • Series 4 nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBO?
    • I have a Series 600M nForce chipset + AMD S1 CPU laptop/notebook MOBO
    • nForce chipset + CPU combo MOBO not listed above
  2. 2. What is your nForce chipset desktop MOBO system CPU?

• Intel Penryn (Wolfdale)
    • Intel Penryn (Yorkdale)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Quad)
    • Intel Core 2 Extreme (Dual)
    • Intel Core 2 Quad
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Intel Pentium D9xx
    • Intel Pentium D8xx
    • Intel Pentium 4
    • Intel Celeron D
    • AMD Phenom
    • AMD Athlon 64 FX
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2
    • AMD Athlon 64
    • AMP Sempron

964 posts in this topic

@verdant,

What exactly will that do for me? I'm not questioning you, just curious what exactly they'll change for my install. I imagine the thermal control will just help with cpu temps, which so far have been the same as in Linux and Windows, but what about the C1E Enhanced Halt State? I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the PM verdant. The potentially missing kexts were all there and I've tried with the NIC disabled/enabled at BIOS. :blush:

I haven't had a chance to try with those kexts removed.. will hopefully try tonight and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help so far. :wink2:

I have PM'd you......if my suggestion works.....I will post it in reply to this post...... :)

You could also remove these troublesome kexts.......

AppleEFIRuntime.kext

AppleInteCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleHWSensor.kext

and see what happens..........

@verdant,

What exactly will that do for me? I'm not questioning you, just curious what exactly they'll change for my install. I imagine the thermal control will just help with cpu temps, which so far have been the same as in Linux and Windows, but what about the C1E Enhanced Halt State? I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks for your help

Firstly, with CPU Thermal control, I enable it because it is a last-ditch in-built over-temperature protection for the CPU if OSx86 throws a "wobbly"......I have found that my core temperatures are generally higher under OS X than under Vista or Ubuntu......

Secondly, the C1E Enhanced Halt State functions in two ways: (i) it lowers the clock speed of the CPU by decreasing the clock multiplier down to its minimum value, and (ii) then the CPU voltage is dropped down to maintain stability.....i.e. it is a "souped-up" power-saving function.....complementing Intel SpeedStep......

However, you are overclocking but with C1E enabled your CPU clock speeds may well keep ranging from your overclock speed down to your stock speed in a random manner......negating the point of having Intel SpeedStep disabled!....... :D

You can also optimise performance further by disabling Spectrum Spread...... :whistle:

Well i have had some trouble with my computer for the past two days. I think my "MEDIA" is kinda screwy so i went out and bought some Verbatim DVD+R's today. Reburning my Kalyway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.5 with Nforce patch. All my CD's are screwy when trying to boot them they will stop at random areas... Kalyway 10.5.2 used to be perfect which leaves me to believe my lens is dirty or even worse.... My dvd drive is dieing... I hope not... But i guess its better than a MOBO... Well as soon as i get my bios options set correctly and my DVD reburned then i will give all this a try!

Well i have had some trouble with my computer for the past two days. I think my "MEDIA" is kinda screwy so i went out and bought some Verbatim DVD+R's today. Reburning my Kalyway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.5 with Nforce patch. All my CD's are screwy when trying to boot them they will stop at random areas... Kalyway 10.5.2 used to be perfect which leaves me to believe my lens is dirty or even worse.... My dvd drive is dieing... I hope not... But i guess its better than a MOBO... Well as soon as i get my bios options set correctly and my DVD reburned then i will give all this a try!

When you burn your DVD burn at ≤ x4, preferably at the slowest speed your burning software allows...... ;)

Hi,

I'm as newb as newb gets, but I'm trying. I've spent about two days lurking the forum trying to find something helpful but haven't come up with much. If you could help I'de be very appreciative.

I can't boot at all to the install DVD. After -v, it lists various things but it always ends with "still wating for root device." I've mucked about with various things in BiOS, but still can't get the installer booted off the DVD.

Here are my some of my specs:

MOBO: Asus P5N E-SLI

BIOS: 0608

CPU: Intel C2D 6300 @ 1.86

RAM: 2x1GB

HDD: SATA Western Digital, 186 GB. Paritioned: 160GB NTFS (with windows Vista installed) , 25GB hdfs+ compatible for OSX

Optical Drive: Lite-ON Combo DVD-Rom. This is the only IDE device. It's running into the pimary IDE drive on the mobo. The jumper is set to Master. I've already played around with varios combinations here.

The most common suggestions I've found are to disable 1394 in the BIOS. Done that.

And set SATA drive to AHCI. (can't find option for that in BiOS)

Distibutions I've got: Jas.Osx86 10.5.4.client.server.intel.sse2.sse3.iso and iATKOS_4i.iso

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm as newb as newb gets, but I'm trying. I've spent about two days lurking the forum trying to find something helpful but haven't come up with much. If you could help I'de be very appreciative.

I can't boot at all to the install DVD. After -v, it lists various things but it always ends with "still wating for root device." I've mucked about with various things in BiOS, but still can't get the installer booted off the DVD.

Here are my some of my specs:

MOBO: Asus P5N E-SLI

BIOS: 0608

CPU: Intel C2D 6300 @ 1.86

RAM: 2x1GB

HDD: SATA Western Digital, 186 GB. Paritioned: 160GB NTFS (with windows Vista installed) , 25GB hdfs+ compatible for OSX

Optical Drive: Lite-ON Combo DVD-Rom. This is the only IDE device. It's running into the pimary IDE drive on the mobo. The jumper is set to Master. I've already played around with varios combinations here.

The most common suggestions I've found are to disable 1394 in the BIOS. Done that.

And set SATA drive to AHCI. (can't find option for that in BiOS)

Distibutions I've got: Jas.Osx86 10.5.4.client.server.intel.sse2.sse3.iso and iATKOS_4i.iso

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

I suggest that you have a look at my blog on installing Jas 10.5.4 on a nforce chipset MOBO......let me know how you get on....... :(

WOW!!!!

Thanks for the quick response! That is VERY helpful. I have to redownload JAS, because I only have a DVD, no iso. So we'll find out tomorrow if it works, but it definitely makes me feel better!

Thanks a ton. This is very exciting.

huh... so I used Mysticus C* Nforce patch on the Jas 10.5.4 iso. Patched fine. Went to install, still get "waiting for root device" after "AppleNForceATA: found 1 units."

My set-up differs from yours in that I'm using PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse and Internal SATA HDD, and IDE DVD-ROM. Would these prevent me from even getting the installer to boot?

Thanks again for the help.

huh... so I used Mysticus C* Nforce patch on the Jas 10.5.4 iso. Patched fine. Went to install, still get "waiting for root device" after "AppleNForceATA: found 1 units."

My set-up differs from yours in that I'm using PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse and Internal SATA HDD, and IDE DVD-ROM. Would these prevent me from even getting the installer to boot?

Thanks again for the help.

I would use a USB mouse and USB keyboard for definite.......with a PATA (IDE) DVDROM and internal SATA, I was not expecting you to have "still waiting for root device" problems.......so try booting using a USB keyboard and USB mouse with -v again at the Darwin boot: prompt.....

If you still get the "root devic" error but have no problem booting from the DVD, see if, at the Darwin boot: prompt, typing

-v rd=disk2s2

helps overcome the root device problem, assuming you have 2 internal HDDs and 1 optical drive, with no USB devices connected......

Alright... so I've installed OSX and booted it successfully. Woot!

When Jas formatted the OSX partition it seems to have corrupted the windows partition. Wierd Reinstalling windows now to see what happens.

In other news, i don't think it's recognizing the onboard LAN fromt he P5n -e (650i) so I can't get networking working. Unless maybe it is. I'm a complete Mac OS newb. I went to system profiler but there's no ethernet listed. How can I tell if it's finding my onboard NIC or not? If it isn't, do you have any suggestsion to make it so?

Also, when I put my USB key in, nothing happens.... do I have to do something set up USB devices? Or do something to my key to make OS X recognize it?

Once I can get networking and/or USB key working, I think I'll have the means to find/acquire/install all the kexts to get sound, video, etc fully functional. I just have to get some means of connecting to the outside world.

Sorry to newb it up. I really appreciate all your advice so far. I would have given up ages ago. But now I'm actually learning.

@mehoo462

Verdant will give you a definite answer, but I'm pretty sure the ethernet on nForce mobos (such as the 650i) won't work as a rule. Best bet is to pick up a cheap PCI ethernet card with the Realtek RTL8169 chipset as this should work out of the box (or at least there's plenty of drivers for them :))

I've got mine in the post. :)

When Jas formatted the OSX partition it seems to have corrupted the windows partition. Wierd Reinstalling windows now to see what happens.

In other news, i don't think it's recognizing the onboard LAN fromt he P5n -e (650i) so I can't get networking working. Unless maybe it is. I'm a complete Mac OS newb. I went to system profiler but there's no ethernet listed. How can I tell if it's finding my onboard NIC or not? If it isn't, do you have any suggestsion to make it so?

Also, when I put my USB key in, nothing happens.... do I have to do something set up USB devices? Or do something to my key to make OS X recognize it?

Once I can get networking and/or USB key working, I think I'll have the means to find/acquire/install all the kexts to get sound, video, etc fully functional. I just have to get some means of connecting to the outside world.

Sorry to newb it up. I really appreciate all your advice so far. I would have given up ages ago. But now I'm actually learning.

Hey there,

Here's a rundown on my system...

MB : Asus P5N-E SLI (nforce 650i)

RAM : 4GB DDR2 800

VIDEO : XFX GeForce 7100 (128 MB)

Onboard NIC & Audio (883)

I'm running all SATA in this system, (1 1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 1 150 WD Raptor, 1 SATA DVD burner)

I currently have installed iDeneb 10.5.5. It's the only disk i get get to boot without a panic or the waiting for root device message. iDeneb will install fine, I've tried a both different nforce and nforce-text chipest drivers, the 883 audio, video driver for nvidia 128 mb cards and don't install any nic drivers. I've been selecting the 9.4 patched kernel, if i try and leave it vanilla the system won't boot and restarts almost instantly. I haven't tried any of the 9.2 versions ...

The system will boot up fine and I then add the kext for the network i found off these forums. I'm sorry, I don't remember the version of the kext. The driver has some issues getting dhcp but it seems to work fine once i set a static IP to it, which I have to do anyways.

The system isn't very stable though, I'm getting lock ups where I can't even move the mouse. System becomes non responsive and have to push the reset or power button. I'm not sure if the freezing problem roots from the NIC driver or the chipset drivers. ... any suggestions on what to try next?

Hey there,

Here's a rundown on my system...

MB : Asus P5N-E SLI (nforce 650i)

RAM : 4GB DDR2 800

VIDEO : XFX GeForce 7100 (128 MB)

Onboard NIC & Audio (883)

I'm running all SATA in this system, (1 1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 1 150 WD Raptor, 1 SATA DVD burner)

I currently have installed iDeneb 10.5.5. It's the only disk i get get to boot without a panic or the waiting for root device message. iDeneb will install fine, I've tried a both different nforce and nforce-text chipest drivers, the 883 audio, video driver for nvidia 128 mb cards and don't install any nic drivers. I've been selecting the 9.4 patched kernel, if i try and leave it vanilla the system won't boot and restarts almost instantly. I haven't tried any of the 9.2 versions ...

The system will boot up fine and I then add the kext for the network i found off these forums. I'm sorry, I don't remember the version of the kext. The driver has some issues getting dhcp but it seems to work fine once i set a static IP to it, which I have to do anyways.

The system isn't very stable though, I'm getting lock ups where I can't even move the mouse. System becomes non responsive and have to push the reset or power button. I'm not sure if the freezing problem roots from the NIC driver or the chipset drivers. ... any suggestions on what to try next?

Do the following steps in sequence, and monitor changes insystem stability between each step.....

1. Check your BIOS settings against:

HDD SMART Monitoing [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enabled]

RAID Enabled [Disabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Auto]

Onboard 1394 [Enabled]

USB [all options enabled]

Dual Onboard LAN [still enabled by me because of their use by Vista and Ubuntu - causes me no problems as I use a PCI-NIC for OS X]

Memory Timing Setting [All AUTO]

Spread Spectrum Control [All DISABLED] - for maximum performance

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

2. With a nForce chipset MOBO you cannot use a vanilla kernel......you must use a patched kernel such as Netkas 9.2.0 Sleep kernel or 9.4.0 Stage XNU or Voodoo 9.5.0 Beta 2C......

3. When you boot up, at the Darwin prompt boot: type -s

At the Darwin bootloader prompt boot: type -s and press Enter.....

then type mount -uw / and press Enter

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/nForceEthernetDriver.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/forcedeth.kext

then type exit and press Enter

"Choose the rm -rf.....line that matches the LAN kext you installed

If using the onboard LAN is the cause of the problem, get yourself a RTL8169 chipset PCI NIC card.......

@Verdant

I got it booting!

I removed all of the nvidia related kexts:

GeForce.kext
GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle
GeForce3GLDriver.bundle
GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle
GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle
GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV10Hal.kext
NVDANV20Hal.kext
NVDANV30Hal.kext
NVDANV40Hal.kext
NVDANV50Hal.kext
NVDAResman.kext

NVinject.kext

I also unplugged the PATA DVD. I'll plug the PATA DVD back in when I get home so we can figure out what fixed it but I'm now booting nicely. ;)

I had a quick look at getting the 9600GT instructions and should be able to get that up and running tomorrow by which time I expect by RTL8169 NIC to have arrived also.

Once everything's nice and tidy I'll post here with some clearer instructions.

Confirming what nz_mitch said, onboard LAN is problematic for many nForce chipset MOBOs......it was the cause of my USB mouse freezes on my 650i MOBO........suggest you get a RTL8169 PCI NIC...... :)

1) Re USB, what do you mean by USB key? ......a USB memory stick or the USB keyboard.....please explain.....in either case you should see your USB devices connected to a USB port in your System Profiler output for USB......also check your System Profiler output for USB......does show that there is a USB High Speed Bus present?

If it does, then your USB 2.0 Controller is being recognised....... :) If not then your USB devices will work at USB 1.1 speeds......you can sort out this problem by using Mysticus C* NForce Drivers package USB 2.0 Controller Fix......selecting PCGenUSBEHCI (old version) or AppleUSBEHCI (new version)......install one; if that does not work try the other.....

2) In Terminal, type "uname -a" without the quotes.......it will give your kernel version, e.g. 9.4.0.

Now go to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext........right-click on System.kext, select "Show Package Contents"......in the Contents folder, highlight version.plist or Info.plist and right-click.......choose to open with Text Edit, or whatever text edit you have installed.......check what is listed under CFBundleVersion.......it should be the same version as your kernel....

If it is not, you need to install a System.kext that is the same version as the kernel......suggest you use Mysticus C* NForce Drivers package to install matched kernel version and System.kext version..... :)

@Verdant

I got it booting!

I removed all of the nvidia related kexts:

GeForce.kext
 GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle
 GeForce3GLDriver.bundle
 GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle
 GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle
 GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle
 GeForceGA.plugin
 GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV10Hal.kext
 NVDANV20Hal.kext
 NVDANV30Hal.kext
 NVDANV40Hal.kext
 NVDANV50Hal.kext
 NVDAResman.kext

NVinject.kext

I also unplugged the PATA DVD. I'll plug the PATA DVD back in when I get home so we can figure out what fixed it but I'm now booting nicely. :)

I had a quick look at getting the 9600GT instructions and should be able to get that up and running tomorrow by which time I expect by RTL8169 NIC to have arrived also.

Once everything's nice and tidy I'll post here with some clearer instructions.

Glad you got it booting again...... :)

Could it mean that my off-the-wall hunch (based on my own past experience) that the InterfaceNamer error message was GeForce bundle and/or GeForce/NV* kext related was not far off....what do you think....?

EDIT: It would be helpful for the readers of this thread if, between us, we could focus down on the cause of the InterfaceNamer error......it would seem relatively uncommon since nobody has responded to your post on it.......unless of course Mysticus C* or someone else just comes along and tells us straightaway!...... ;)

Excellent, thanks again for the prompt and helpful reply! Sytem Profiler does list a USB High-Speed Storage Bus. And it even finds my storage media. But as it turns out my Kernal version and my System.kext version are not the same.

Again pardon my newbdom, I feel I'm pretty close to being able to bootstrap myself to victory, but do you have any suggestions for how to transfer files from the Windows PC I'm writing this on to the new Mac with no internet or USB?

EDIT: Never mind. I found MacImage is useful for creating CDs that can be read by Mac and PC.

Excellent, thanks again for the prompt and helpful reply! Sytem Profiler does list a USB High-Speed Storage Bus. And it even finds my storage media. But as it turns out my Kernal version and my System.kext version are not the same.

Again pardon my newbdom, I feel I'm pretty close to being able to bootstrap myself to victory, but do you have any suggestions for how to transfer files from the Windows PC I'm writing this on to the new Mac with no internet or USB?

EDIT: Never mind. I found MacImage is useful for creating CDs that can be read by Mac and PC.

Hope you will soon be running OSx86 successfully...... :)

okay after running into some issues to do stupid things I won't go into I decided to start from scratch. Following your walkthrough to the letter.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?aut...blogid=284&

So far everything seems to be running beautifully. I even got Networking running using Eno's driver: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125569 This may be causing some minor stability issues, it locked up once shortly after I installed this, but it's been fine since (not long) so I'm happy to see what kind of mileage I get.

The only issue I'm having is with Audio. I ran the Taruga HD audio installer like you said. But I get no sound. Under Audio (built-in) system profiler says

Intel High Definition Audio

Device ID: 0x10438249

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Everything is blank after available devices.

I consulted my motherboard docs... it turns out my on board audio is a "Realtek ALC883."

2 Questions,

1. does anyone have any idea where I can find some kexts for the Realtek ALC883.

2. my system has crashed four times as I've been writing this it probably has to do with ENOs brand new gforceLAN drivers. A couple people mentioned they had stability issues. How do I remove a kext? I'de like to remove the LAN kext and everything Taruga installed. Is this possible? or do I half to reinstall the OS? I'll continue searching the forums for answers to these querstions.

Much thanks.

(UPDATE: I've found a working sound driver easily enough. So all that remains is a simple question of how to safely and thoroughly remove things that I have installed and decided I don't want anymore... like the intel audio drivers. I know that's a little offtopic, but I've got to learn somewhere. Thanks)

Hey there. I'm so close, I need a little guidance..

1. Your MOBO brand and model: This is hard, computer is a gateway, and the motherboard is an MSI with an NForce chipset, but it's not any specific model. it's pretty standard though, very similar to the P6MG series.

2. Your nForce Series 5 or 6 chipset: it's the nForce MCP73 series..

3. Your Intel CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 ghz

4. Can't get any SS right now.

5. Your DVDRW(s): I have one SATA DVDRW and one PATA DVDRW, neither have solved my problem though.

6. Your hard drive(s): 1 500GB SATA drive, partitioned into a Vista partition, an XP partition, a media partition, and one I left for OSX.

8. Current OS's installed: Windows Vista, Windows XP.

9. Your graphics card(s): Geforce 2 MX 440, but there is also an onboard Geforce 7100, I am not using that though, it's disabled.

10. PCI/PCI-E cards fitted: Wifi card, SMC.

11. Onboard devices/functions: Realtek HD audio, SATA, not sure what else to put..

1. Your available OSx86 Install DVD(s): Retail and iDeneb 10.5.5

OK! Onto the issue..

I know what the problem is, I think. The only drive I have is a SATA drive, and the OSX installer won't see it. Is there some kind of SATA kext I need to load somehow..? When I used the SATA DVDRW to boot, I got the 'waiting for boot device' error. When I moved to a PATA DVD drive, It worked, but my SATA that I wanted to install onto didn't. I also tried cloning the image into a PATA HD and booted from it, same results as the PATA DVD drive.

This leads me to believe that there just aren't correct SATA drivers being loaded... How can I fix this on the nForce chipset?

I should add that I have seen people posting about enabling IDE mode or something similar for their SATA drives in their bios.. I do not have any options like that.

@karafa

I expect Verdant will be here in no time with a more comprehensive answer, but have you patched your iDeneb DVD with the nForce fix?

Here's the official story.

Good luck!

Hey there. I'm so close, I need a little guidance..

1. Your MOBO brand and model: This is hard, computer is a gateway, and the motherboard is an MSI with an NForce chipset, but it's not any specific model. it's pretty standard though, very similar to the P6MG series.

2. Your nForce Series 5 or 6 chipset: it's the nForce MCP73 series..

3. Your Intel CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 ghz

4. Can't get any SS right now.

5. Your DVDRW(s): I have one SATA DVDRW and one PATA DVDRW, neither have solved my problem though.

6. Your hard drive(s): 1 500GB SATA drive, partitioned into a Vista partition, an XP partition, a media partition, and one I left for OSX.

8. Current OS's installed: Windows Vista, Windows XP.

9. Your graphics card(s): Geforce 2 MX 440, but there is also an onboard Geforce 7100, I am not using that though, it's disabled.

10. PCI/PCI-E cards fitted: Wifi card, SMC.

11. Onboard devices/functions: Realtek HD audio, SATA, not sure what else to put..

1. Your available OSx86 Install DVD(s): Retail and iDeneb 10.5.5

OK! Onto the issue..

I know what the problem is, I think. The only drive I have is a SATA drive, and the OSX installer won't see it. Is there some kind of SATA kext I need to load somehow..? When I used the SATA DVDRW to boot, I got the 'waiting for boot device' error. When I moved to a PATA DVD drive, It worked, but my SATA that I wanted to install onto didn't. I also tried cloning the image into a PATA HD and booted from it, same results as the PATA DVD drive.

This leads me to believe that there just aren't correct SATA drivers being loaded... How can I fix this on the nForce chipset?

I should add that I have seen people posting about enabling IDE mode or something similar for their SATA drives in their bios.. I do not have any options like that.

@Verdant: Could well be, I'll let you know when I've had a chance to experience with/without PATA DVD etc.

maybe you already did, but if you patched the disc with the nForce patch, did you ever try the disc without the patch? I installed perfectly without the nForce patch, and its the only disc so far I have been able to get to boot since the original TOH TC2 10.5 disc.

Just a thought..

okay after running into some issues to do stupid things I won't go into I decided to start from scratch. Following your walkthrough to the letter.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?aut...blogid=284&

So far everything seems to be running beautifully. I even got Networking running using Eno's driver: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125569 This may be causing some minor stability issues, it locked up once shortly after I installed this, but it's been fine since (not long) so I'm happy to see what kind of mileage I get.

The only issue I'm having is with Audio. I ran the Taruga HD audio installer like you said.

Not surprising as the Taruga rev3 installer is for the AD1988b audio codec.....

But I get no sound. Under Audio (built-in) system profiler says

Intel High Definition Audio

Device ID: 0x10438249

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Everything is blank after available devices.

I consulted my motherboard docs... it turns out my on board audio is a "Realtek ALC883."

2 Questions,

1. does anyone have any idea where I can find some kexts for the Realtek ALC883.

2. my system has crashed four times as I've been writing this it probably has to do with ENOs brand new gforceLAN drivers. A couple people mentioned they had stability issues. How do I remove a kext? I'de like to remove the LAN kext and everything Taruga installed. Is this possible? or do I half to reinstall the OS? I'll continue searching the forums for answers to these querstions.

Much thanks.

(UPDATE: I've found a working sound driver easily enough. So all that remains is a simple question of how to safely and thoroughly remove things that I have installed and decided I don't want anymore... like the intel audio drivers. I know that's a little offtopic, but I've got to learn somewhere. Thanks)

To remove unwanted kexts.......a number of options

A. At bootup in single user mode, i.e. booting at Darwin prompt boot: with -s

Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the "boot:" prompt and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear.......then type

mount -uw / (press Enter after each command line entry in blue)

cd /System/Library

rm -rf NameofUnwantedKext.kext

rm Extensions.*

chown -R root:wheel Extensions (can also use 0:0 instead of root:wheel)

chmod -R go-w Extensions

exit

Quick explanation:

rm = remove files or directories (by default rm does not remove directories)

-r (or -R) = remove directories and their contents recursively

-f = ignore nonexistent files, never prompt

go-w = deny write permission to group and others (using 755 instead of go-w makes file unecessarily executable but it still works)

B. Using Terminal via Install DVD (Disk Utility - Terminal) or via Desktop

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf NameofUnwantedKext.kext

sudo rm Extensions.mkext

sudo chown -R root:wheel Extensions

sudo chmod -R go-w Extensions

Reboot with -v -f

To sort out audio......remove AppleHDA.kext but first check in Info.plist that it says "Patched by Taruga" near the top of the file.....For ALC883.......download and install these kexts using Kext Helper b7......and in audio and MIDI configuration select the aggregate fix to enable 5.1 channel, and you may get surround sound....... :(