nForce Sata Workaround

93 posts in this topic

Being completely honest with you, I have not a clue if it is SATA I or Sata II. And I have not a clue how to find out either, sorry myzar.

EDIT: Update, I can't even access mac using vmware since I booted Natively.

I think you can check that in Windows Device Manager.. I have SATA300(SATA2) on MSI nforce4 SLI mobo.. I've put only one of my SATA controllers in the info.plist and for me works at first try... using VMWare and dd method...

I cannot check that in my Device Manager, I just see the name of my hard drive. I researched that though (Maxtor 6L250S0) and according to this site ( http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...DiamondMax%2010 ) It is SATA150 but according to ( http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...DiamondMax%2010 ) It might also be SATA300.

It also appears that have S.M.A.R.T technology on it, could that be used by mac?

And according to this theres an issue with nForce :-S http://www.almico.com/foruminfo.php?id=6654827

Looks like my drive is in perfect shape for windows, but not for mac.

EDIT: Started anew again and read the instructions on the wiki this time, and it says open the "Serial ATA Controller" under the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" Tree, but I don't have this, instead I have "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" with Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel. And the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller has 3Devices with an ID I haven't tried, 0x005310DE. Does anybody else have this :S

EDIT: Started anew again and read the instructions on the wiki this time, and it says open the "Serial ATA Controller" under the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" Tree, but I don't have this, instead I have "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" with Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel. And the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller has 3Devices with an ID I haven't tried, 0x005310DE. Does anybody else have this :S

Download and install from NVIDIA driver for nForce4 chipset.

Why do i always get "ATA device blocking bus" error?

Its most likely that you have NFORCE motherboard chipset and the driver doesn know by itself, which NVIDIA (10de) device to use, so it tries to use ATA bus. The solution is to put your gfx card device id in NVidiaHAL.kext.

I just read that on the MacVidia FAQ, so...the IOATA device blocking bus, is basically the same. We just gotta hunt down the right kext, to stop that accessesing the ATA device. Any ideas?

Myself, I abandoned playing with SATA....

I found a real alternative to gain hard drive speed....

I bought a ATA133 Maxtor 250GB 16mb cache harddrive.

I think It speaks for itself...so I attached my benchmark results.

Results 116.05

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.6 (8I1119)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type Maxtor 6L250R0

CPU Test 78.67

GCD Loop 134.06 7.07 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 84.40 2.01 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 48.32 1.59 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 92.20 16.05 Mops/sec

Thread Test 85.48

Computation 61.68 1.25 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 139.17 5.99 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 137.03

System 141.18

Allocate 167.52 615.17 Kalloc/sec

Fill 137.61 6691.10 MB/sec

Copy 124.78 2577.35 MB/sec

Stream 133.12

Copy 130.50 2695.46 MB/sec

Scale 129.78 2681.19 MB/sec

Add 136.28 2903.09 MB/sec

Triad 136.22 2914.02 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 140.66

Line 100.41 6.69 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 131.23 39.18 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 125.99 10.27 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 122.84 3.10 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 529.59 33.13 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 140.29

Spinning Squares 140.29 177.96 frames/sec

User Interface Test 201.38

Elements 201.38 924.25 refresh/sec

Disk Test 106.31

Sequential 127.60

Uncached Write 135.62 83.27 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 123.22 69.72 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.60 37.63 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 123.72 62.18 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 91.11

Uncached Write 75.41 7.98 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 91.96 29.44 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 98.86 0.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 103.58 19.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I just installed the 10.4.6 update, found on the Bay with Pirates, and ummm... all my SATA disks just mounted themselves like magic. And i didn't have to do a thing. I updated from a 10.4.5 install :D

Boy am I happy ? :D

Hi there,

Just to check, was there an option for you not to install the SATA kext? It seems this is causes corruption, and I don't want it to corrupt my SATA data drive.. :)

Open Terminal and type:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleVIATA.kext

or if you had installed directly on the Extensions folder:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIATA.kext

then reboot.

I am reaching..

On the mac site it said that this 4.6 update will

Addresses potential vnode reference count mismatches that could lead to a kernel panic.

Just wondering if this has anything to do with the current panic issues

or if it is still related to the bus sharing issue.

borez - Which kext are you talking about?

Hi,

I was referring to the VIAATA.kext on JaS's 10.4.6 ISO.

As cool as it may sound to have SATA working on my nForce 4, I don't want to risk killing all my data for OSX.. :)

Open Terminal and type:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleVIATA.kext

or if you had installed directly on the Extensions folder:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIATA.kext

then reboot.

thank you, beautiful =)

I've used OSX with the VIA ATA trick for hours, A8N. It freezes every ~15 minutes, and after a few resets it no longer boots due to unknow reasons (but Disk Utility doesn't say a word). I assume it's normal, since It hasn't written a single full HFS journal on the drive yet ( NO well-done shutdown so far, it always freezes ).

But it still hasn't corrupted a SINGLE bit of data on my other partitions. I've even moved some files around them. I'd rather not mess very much with them, however.

So I believe there's no reason to "disable" the driver to avoid corruption. Just don't use your SATA partitions other than OS X one (if you have native OS X over SATA).

I just downloaded and tested the JaS DVD for 10.4.6, didn't see my hd. But it made me wonder, do the rest of you see your CD drive in the installation destination? I then went into the system profiler, and saw that my CD Drive was reading as an ATA drive under disk0. Is it supposed to do that :) I swear it aint.

I'm also changing my boot order so that the CD Drive and removable drive are after the hard drive. I will see if this works later.

I just downloaded and tested the JaS DVD for 10.4.6, didn't see my hd. But it made me wonder, do the rest of you see your CD drive in the installation destination? I then went into the system profiler, and saw that my CD Drive was reading as an ATA drive under disk0. Is it supposed to do that :) I swear it aint.

I'm also changing my boot order so that the CD Drive and removable drive are after the hard drive. I will see if this works later.

Fighter,

I had the same problem. Prior to using the 10.4.6 DVD I used a 10.4.4 patched 10.4.5 - 10.4.6 with PPF's

I never loaded the 10.4.5 or 10.5.6 because I never successfully loaded the OS.

I was able to see my SATA drives and load the OS(However, it always failed at the end with (Installation Failed please retry again).

So I am not sure how to get the 10.4.6 DVD to work on the SATA drives.

AMD x2

SATA Drives