nForce Sata Workaround

93 posts in this topic

First of all, I read the source and I don't even think that's the reason for the error. Is this just your guess from reading the error message? Second, it still doesn't tell me what I'm asking. What HAPPENS? Nothing? It just stops booting up? Does the message repeat over and over? I'm sorry I'm getting a little annoyed, but it shouldn't be that hard to cite an empirical description of events, instead of just continuing to mouth the error message over and over again.

First of all, I read the source and I don't even think that's the reason for the error. Is this just your guess from reading the error message? Second, it still doesn't tell me what I'm asking. What HAPPENS? Nothing? It just stops booting up? Does the message repeat over and over? I'm sorry I'm getting a little annoyed, but it shouldn't be that hard to cite an empirical description of events, instead of just continuing to mouth the error message over and over again.

On my machine this message repeat over and over.

My first SATA hdd with 1 FAT32(C:), 1 BSD(FreeBSD) and 2 ext3(Linux) partitions dont mount after boot, my second SATA hdd with 1 NTFS part. mount. I try manual mount first part.(FAT32) from first SATA hdd - ok mounted, but OSX after this freez. After reboot, OSX begun check my FAT32 part. and hang, and after second reboot to WinXP my FAT32 part destroed, my data lost, etc.

My OS X can't even boot now. Constant HD activity and LOTS of "IOATAController device blocking bus" errors before starting the logonwindow app. It did boot sometimes, but not all HD's or partitions were mounted and usually after a few minutes the whole OS locked up.

Good summary, I'm writing this from OSX booting off my nForce SATA drive so I can say it really works ;) There's a wiki article at http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives that covers quite a rare situation I had (only a SATA drive and native install via VMWare wouldn't work) but I think various parts of it can be helpful anyway - parts 1 and 3 for getting nForce SATA working, parts 2, 4 and 5 if anyone needs to transfer an existing installation (e.g. on a VMWare virtual partition) to a disk partition...

Tom

I have done the method that on Wiki.

I saw the SATA disk.

I got some alert message when I type "kextcache -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleVIAATA.kext

"

But when I finished and reboot.

I can't see it anymore and OSX will crash when I use the Disk Utility Tools or boot for a moment. I reboot and disable the SATA controller and reinstall it to save my OSX back.

I boot in WinXP but many application crashed and my system is unstable.

My SATA have 2 partition, one is FAT32, the other is NTFS.

P.S.

I have folder "/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleVIAATA.kext" already, but on the wiki, it tell us follows:

mkdir AppleVIAATA.kext /*I have it already*/

cd AppleVIAATA.kext

cp -R /Users/<your username>/Desktop/AppleVIAATA.kext . /*Copy the save folder to my ../PlugIns is it all right*/

But even this, I saw my SATA Disk untill I rebuild the kextcache and reboot. Strange :(

:)

Another summary:

- Using a partition on your hard drive will not cause any corruption, as far as I'm aware. It limits it to that partiton only. Although the partition table might be altered (I do not know much about this at all really, but this could be causing some problems for me) But I have lost no data and my windows partition with all my data on it, works perfectly. XellDusk also said the same in post #22. I am not sure how ZOleg managed to corrupt his drive, but he might have converted the whole of his drive to HFS+

- On post #10, sambo60 mentions a patch. Where is this, I would love to know :pirate2: lol

- Whilst reading orph3us post (#12) he mentions the IDE channels and the device ID's for the second IDE channel. After reading Theios post (#19) and Z0leg's (#26) I realised that there might be a confliction between the ID's.

If only the one being used with SATA was entered, this might then work (not sure if deleting the original will help, I think that stops it working completly) This could be causing the confliction.

<string>0x31491106 0x005410de</string>
<string>0x005410de</string>

As Z0leg said (post #26), the ATA bus is already being borrowed, by another kext (which would have to be tracked down to be edited or whatever) or by the ID's colliding heads with each other?

Something else that made me wonder....Is the cd drive, in a normal mac, am I right in saying the drive cannot be opened until the desktop loads? (I've only ever seen eMac's) If so the cd drive might be causing the confliction, so it could be that we have to change the boot so that it boots from the Hard Drive first? Not the CD drive.

Thats just my thoughts, correct me if I'm wrong at all. I'm in the middle of tests and brain is a bit tired and weighed down with work (Does not help that I came back yesterday and was into exams today)

TheFighter

... I am not sure how ZOleg managed to corrupt his drive, but he might have converted the whole of his drive to HFS+

TheFighter

No, my FAT32 partition was not converted to HFS +, is just corupted FAT32 table.

I get the error "IOATAController device blocking bus", but it doesn't stop me from using the hard drive. Can someone explain to me in detail why this error is a problem? Give me the symptoms, maybe a log, the works.

The pay-off is I might write a fix.

To me it is a problem because sometimes crashes a lot of apps including iTunes and Safari.. also sometimes it freeze with a blue screen at boot time.. Sometimes it freeze everething except my mouse.. It's just like a Win95 experience..

No, my FAT32 partition was not converted to HFS +, is just corupted FAT32 table.

How did you fix that? That would be usefull to know. Or didn't you? I have a NTFS partition and it hasn't appeared to have corrupted it. Sorry, I know nothing about partition tables, so I can't say much.

To me it is a problem because sometimes crashes a lot of apps including iTunes and Safari.. also sometimes it freeze with a blue screen at boot time.. Sometimes it freeze everething except my mouse.. It's just like a Win95 experience..

Well your one of the lucky few that actually get it to the desktop. I do not. Did you do anything slightly different to what is in the instructions?

EDIT: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14042 Maybe it just purely is this that is stopping some of us?

Hi to everyone. I have a Nforce4 Ultra mobo. My MacOs X 10.4.5 is installed on a PATA drive. I have 2 other SATA drives which I would like to use.

I did everything explained on

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives

but when I type "kextcache -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleVIAATA.kext"

the Terminal gives me this warning

"warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleVIAATA.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)"

then when I continue with "kextcache -L -N -e" I get

"warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGPIO.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWClock.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleEMacClock.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWClock.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePulsar.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleK2.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKeyLargo.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CControllerPMU.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CControllerPPC.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CControllerSMU.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CDriveBayGPIO.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CFamily.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CMotionSensor.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CPulsar.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)"

When I restart the system, no changes at all. My Sata hd can't still be used.

Can somebody help me?

From what I have found with using the extension on my nForce 3 Ultra SATA controller Dev. Id: 0x0055, I have 2 120 gig Drives connected with 1 NTFS partition each, I don't experience any corruption and the files access fine, the only problem I come across is where I have a folder with a large amount of files, they don't all appear but in windows all works well.

Vampire666 & BeeJAyP - Can you tell me your boot order, if you have dual core and if you deleted the "0x31491106" before entering in your driver ID's (did you enter one or two?)

itmandan - Unlucky :-( I'm in the same boat, but I can't really do much until exams are over. Then I'm back, Mac testing at full speed.

If any of you reach the blue screen with or without the mouse, I think this error (According to the Wiki) Is Rosetta.

And I looked into the IOATAController thing, and I read somewhere to update the firmware of the drive and it should work, don't know where or if its credible.

Vampire666 & BeeJAyP - Can you tell me your boot order, if you have dual core and if you deleted the "0x31491106" before entering in your driver ID's (did you enter one or two?)

Hi. What do you mean with "boot order"?

I've installed MacOs X on a partition (Af type) Pata drive with Vmware in WinXP (this way the installation process is very fast), then I used the chain0 file, and the Windows bootloader to have at the boot the choice of which Os to start.

After that I've followed the instructions on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives (point 3 and 4).

I've put both the Sata Controllers (0x005410de and 0x005510de in this order):

"<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>"

"<string>0x..... 0x005410de 0x005510de"</string>" ---> As you can see there is a 0x...., I don't remember what numbers should be put here (as you say, maybe it's "0x31491106"), but that is not a problem, because you don't have to change it, you have only to add your controllers ID after that number.

P.S. I have a single core (AMD64 3000+), no I didn't delete the "0x31491106" (or 0x....), and yes I've entered the two ID's controllers (0x005410de 0x005510de).

The boot order ie. Hard Drive, Floppy, CD

So you installed it onto a Pata drive and it see's the Sata? See, what I'm trying to do, is install onto the Sata. I'm not sure, but I would have a guess that installing onto Pata to view the Sata drive works alot more than running off Sata.

Edit: Heh Heh, that was my 99th post!

Something that Nforce4 users should try is to add a single id, i'm almost sure that's why it's crapping out. The driver doesn't handle two controllers . Add 0x005410de or 0x005510de only for a test. It works without any problem with nforce3 but this chipset has only one controller for the two channels

Something that Nforce4 users should try is to add a single id, i'm almost sure that's why it's crapping out. The driver doesn't handle two controllers . Add 0x005410de or 0x005510de only for a test. It works without any problem with nforce3 but this chipset has only one controller for the two channels

I'm sorry but....are you sure? I've put both and it's working. Both controllers: 0x005410de and 0x005510de.

Do you recommend to put only one, even in my case, even if they both work?

If I risk data loss (data corruption), I prefer to put only one controller, is this the case?

Thanks.

I'm sorry but....are you sure? I've put both and it's working. Both controllers: 0x005410de and 0x005510de.

Do you recommend to put only one, even in my case, even if they both work?

If I risk data loss (data corruption), I prefer to put only one controller, is this the case?

Thanks.

A lot of people have reported corruption on Nforce4 but i am on nforce3 so it's up to you to experiment. I can't try something i don't own

Well, I have some news at least. Today I tried out the removing one controller thing, and it worked, briefly.

I used 0x005410de to get it to boot, worked relatively quickly, still had IOATAController error's but it booted, and worked-ish (Safari didnt want to know, and and when I went into system preferences and clicked on something to do with the hard drive, that crashed. But I could view all my partitions on the drive)

I rebooted to see if this was a fluke, and it was. First time reboot it halted my CPU then 2nd and 3rd it gave me something about kernel debugging. I think the reason this worked first time, was because I deleted the kextcache and mkext of the extensions in /system/library/

Well, I have some news at least. Today I tried out the removing one controller thing, and it worked, briefly.

I used 0x005410de to get it to boot, worked relatively quickly, still had IOATAController error's but it booted, and worked-ish (Safari didnt want to know, and and when I went into system preferences and clicked on something to do with the hard drive, that crashed. But I could view all my partitions on the drive)

I rebooted to see if this was a fluke, and it was. First time reboot it halted my CPU then 2nd and 3rd it gave me something about kernel debugging. I think the reason this worked first time, was because I deleted the kextcache and mkext of the extensions in /system/library/

i see , it's sata1 or sata2 ? you can try with the other id but looks like it's hopeless unless someone can fix the source for nforce4