Resize Partition - Easiest Way

Kurto2021

25 posts in this topic

I have seen several people trying to figure out how to resize a partition on here but none that have been relatively easy. I was wondering if anyone has tried using Volume Works yet?

It is supposed to be like Partition Magic but for the mac. I have never used it but it seems to me if we can get a copy of it it might be the easiest solution

http://www.subrosasoft.com/MacSoftware/ind...1&products_id=6

i've tried ipartiton and volumeworks but they can't operate in the startup disk. so u'll have to take out ur hdd and use another mac to resize it if u wish to use these programs.

Same here, I've tried both.

The only 'easy' way involves two hard drives, unless you are able to use a hacked install DVD on 915G + SSE3 hardware and install normally. If you're working w/images, it will take a few steps.

Same here, I've tried both.

The only 'easy' way involves two hard drives, unless you are able to use a hacked install DVD on 915G + SSE3 hardware and install normally.  If you're working w/images, it will take a few steps.

I do have the Marklar-Tiger.dmg file and my PC systems is a 915 with SSE3. Now I guess I need to find out how to get this disk to work

One of the guys where I work was able to increase the size by installing Open Darwin over the 6GB partition, using the full HDD, then doing a restore, deleting all the Darwin folders, then re-imaged rthe drive with the 6GB image or something like that, imaged a 20GB HDD on a Dell D600, I'll see if I can get him to post how he did it. Anopther post mentions using Carbon Copy, haven't tried that out yet myself, but I may give that a whirl if I can get mine going again.

One of the guys where I work was able to increase the size by installing Open Darwin over the 6GB partition, using the full HDD, then doing a restore, deleting all the Darwin folders, then re-imaged rthe drive with the 6GB image or something like that, imaged a 20GB HDD on a Dell D600, I'll see if I can get him to post how he did it. Anopther post mentions using Carbon Copy, haven't tried that out yet myself, but I may give that a whirl if I can get mine going again.

Yeah, I did the excact same thing, and it works. Installing Darwin 801 was a breeze, started VMWare with the flat-image and attached the Darwin drive. Then I dittoed everything over.

Is there an easy way to do it using my Mac and putting the PCs drive into an external bay?

First I dd'ed the Deadmoo image to a harddisk, then I made a Ghost image from it with Norton Ghost.

I installed Darwin on a 20GB partition, then I restored the 6GB Ghost image 2 times after the 20GB Darwin partition.

Boot into the first OS X partition and use the diskutility to restore the second OS X partition to the Darwin partition.

Don't know if this is easier but it worked for me :D

First I dd'ed the Deadmoo image to a harddisk, then I made a Ghost image from it with Norton Ghost.

I installed Darwin on a 20GB partition, then I restored the 6GB Ghost image 2 times after the 20GB Darwin partition.

Boot into the first OS X partition and use the diskutility to restore the second OS X partition to the Darwin partition.

Don't know if this is easier but it worked for me :(

i tried this with norton ghost. wont let me image the drive. say access denid and a bunch of other {censored}. anyone know any other programs similar to ghost? i tried tru image too, which works but only lets you restore the partion at it original size, 6gb. i need to restore to 140 gbs B).

OH!  But what if I have unallocated space on my current hard drive, could i convert that to a new Mac storage area?  I just need more space to install all of my programs.

Yes. The way I know to do that is to boot from a Linux Live CD (I use Knoppix, but any should do), open a terminal, and use cfdisk to create a new partition in the empty space. Specifics can be found in the "Install on a Partition - Simple and Accurate" guide on the wiki. Just take the info there about creating a partition, and do it again.

It may also be possible to use OS X's Disk Utility to do this. If so, that'd be the easiest way.

The easiest and least intrusive way I've found is below. You only need one disk, of at least 30 GB with 40 being better.

first create 2 partitions after your windows partition The windows partition can be as small as 5 GB if it's a fresh install of XP, but with all my programs, I use 10 GB. make the last partition however large you want the OSX partition to be. the other partition between the two need only be 6 GB and you can enlarge the windows partition after you have completed over it. make sure you set them both as primary with ID=af. I used Acronis Disk Director and it shows the type as ShagOS, for what it's worth. for my 30 GB disk i made a 12 GB windows partition (that had the 6gb deadmoo image as a file on it, so really only using 6 GB of space for XP), then 6GB OSX, then 10 GB.

Next you DD to both partitions, the 6gb deadmoo image. you can pipe it out of the tar to save on disk space, but it takes a lot longer.

Use C:\chain0="MacOSx86" with the chain0 from Darwin, as option in boot.ini to get to the first OSX partition. boot it up and apply the maxxus patch for stability during the imaging. reboot and use OSX Disk Utility to make an image of the second osx partition. It will show show the full size of the drive but the free space and used space won't add up right. that's ok.

Now that you have an DMG of the second OSX partition, chose Erase from Disk Utility. Then chose restore. and restore the Image you made to the second OSX partition. when finished the used space, free space and total should all add up right. that's good.

Now reboot, and use partition software to delete the first OSX partition and you can even expand Windows partition by that 6GB. now reboot again.

In the boot menu chose "MacOSx86" and that starts the Darwin Bootloader. Now chose that last partition with "tiger-x86" and you have OSX on expanded on a large drive. i did this on both my machines to make the last 10GB of the drive my OSx86 part of the drive. I've got MS Office, Photoshop, iLife, etc, all fitting easily in there.

With my actual setup I only use a 10GB XP partition at the beginning of the drive, so i have 3 partitions, all primary, with XP (NTFS) then Storage (FAT32) then OSX (HFS+). i stole some of the Storage Partition for the first 6GB deadmoo image.

DO NOT try to simply enlarge the 6GB partition. OSX freaks out and won't boot.

Whole operation takes less than half an hour and is fully functional upon completion (well you still have to patch and add any software and all.

The easiest and least intrusive way I've found is below.  You only need one disk, of at least 30 GB with 40 being better.

first create 2 partitions after your windows partition  The windows partition can be as small as 5 GB if it's a fresh install of XP, but with all my programs, I use 10 GB.  make the last partition however large you want the OSX partition to be.  the other partition between the two need only be 6 GB and you can enlarge the windows partition after you have completed over it.  make sure you set them both as primary with ID=af.  I used Acronis Disk Director and it shows the type as ShagOS, for what it's worth.  for my 30 GB disk i made a 12 GB windows partition (that had the 6gb deadmoo image as a file on it, so really only using 6 GB of space for XP), then 6GB OSX, then 10 GB.

Next you DD to both partitions, the 6gb deadmoo image.  you can pipe it out of the tar to save on disk space, but it takes a lot longer.

Use C:\chain0="MacOSx86" with the chain0 from Darwin, as option in boot.ini to get to the first OSX partition.  boot it up and apply the maxxus patch for stability during the imaging.  reboot and use OSX Disk Utility to make an image of the second osx partition.  It will show show the full size of the drive but the free space and used space won't add up right.  that's ok.

Now that you have an DMG of the second OSX partition, chose Erase from Disk Utility.  Then chose restore.  and restore the Image you made to the second OSX partition.  when finished the used space, free space and total should all add up right.  that's good.

Now reboot, and use partition software to delete the first OSX partition and you can even expand Windows partition by that 6GB.  now reboot again.

In the boot menu chose "MacOSx86" and that starts the Darwin Bootloader.  Now chose that last partition with "tiger-x86"  and you have OSX on expanded on a large drive.  i did this on both my machines to make the last 10GB of the drive my OSx86 part of the drive.  I've got MS Office, Photoshop, iLife, etc, all fitting easily in there. 

With my actual setup I only use a 10GB XP partition at the beginning of the drive, so i have 3 partitions, all primary, with XP (NTFS) then Storage (FAT32) then OSX (HFS+).  i stole some of the Storage Partition for the first 6GB deadmoo image.

DO NOT try to simply enlarge the 6GB partition.  OSX freaks out and won't boot.

Whole operation takes less than half an hour and is fully functional upon completion (well you still have to patch and add any software and all.

That sounds a great deal easier than every other method I've seen mentioned. I used Ubuntu (to get to cfdisk, I hate fdisk) and split up my hard drive. I had the first partition as 6 gigs from when I DD'ed the Tiger image over. I created a second partition of 30 gigs as AF. I thought if the second partition was AF formatted then OS X would actually let me alter it after I had booted into the first partition. This obviously didn't work so that's when I turned to this message board.

My only question is, can this method be done without first having a Windows installation on the first partition? Is it not possible to restore the image on the 2nd OS X partition, hope into cfdisk and set it to bootable, erase the first OS X partition, and then have at it?

this method only uses one disk, so no matter what you will leave 6GB on another partition that you can not incorporate into the HFS+ partition. after you choose your install partition you can not increase the size or move it to another part of the drive because most partition software for x86 PC's don't recognize the file system and i guess something get's screwed up. darwin will only boot the first HFS+ partition. so you can't reformat that first partition to HFS+ and still boot your OSX installation. I use the ntbootloader so i don't know about other ways.

i can see how you might dd to a beginning large partition and the last 6gb. boot into the first partition and make an image of the last 6gb partition and save that image to the last 6gb partition. then use partition software to erase the first partition. boot into last 6gb partition then restore to the first partition. only problem is having a bootloader on that first partition. if you can get around that, then yeah everything should work. i don't use linux.

if you have another drive this gets a lot easier to juggle everything. but i only have one drive in each of my two computers. anyways, i like windows and dual booting.

this method only uses one disk, so no matter what you will leave 6GB on another partition that you can not incorporate into the HFS+ partition.  after you choose your install partition you can not increase the size or move it to another part of the drive because most partition software for x86 PC's don't recognize the file system and i guess something get's screwed up. darwin will only boot the first HFS+ partition. so you can't reformat that first partition to HFS+ and still boot your OSX installation.  I use the ntbootloader so i don't know about other ways. 

i can see how you might dd to a beginning large partition and the last 6gb.  boot into the first partition and make an image of the last 6gb partition and save that image to the last 6gb partition.  then use partition software to erase the first partition. boot into last 6gb partition then restore to the first partition.  only problem is having a bootloader on that first partition.  if you can get around that, then yeah everything should work. i don't use linux. 

if you have another drive this gets a lot easier to juggle everything. but i only have one drive in each of my two computers.  anyways,  i like windows and dual booting.

Ooooh ok. I didn't know Darwin will only boot the first HFS+ partition. I only have one hard drive in my laptop but I do have an external hard drive via USB/Firewire. Does this help me? I restored my disk image of the install to the USB drive, but I cannot get it to boot. When I type "rd=disk1s2" at the Darwin prompt, it loads then Apple grey screen, waits for a few seconds, and then crashes.

ok got my hands on an external USB drive, from work. and i can't get it to boot from the external. I know XP will not boot from a USB drive, so maybe that's the case with OSX. if you have firewire, OSX is supposed to be able to boot from that so... but firewire is rare for PC's.

You might have to change a BIOS setting and make sure the particular partition is set as active. try removing the internal hard drive and booting the external? maybe?

ok got my hands on an external USB drive, from work. and i can't get it to boot from the external.  I know XP will not boot from a USB drive, so maybe that's the case with OSX.  if you have firewire, OSX is supposed to be able to boot from that so... but firewire is rare for PC's.

You might have to change a BIOS setting and make sure the particular partition is set as active.  try removing the internal hard drive and booting the external?  maybe?

As soon as my brother finishes up his French paper I'm going to try and boot from the Firewire drive. I Google'ed a bit last night and it appears that Firewire boots just fine on native OS X machines, I assume it would be similar for OS x86. The only thing I can think of that would prevent external USB and Firewire booting are poor drivers for Darwin. It's my understanding--and it may be flawed--that Darwin would need to recognize the Firewire drive before booting off of it would even be possible.

The easiest and least intrusive way I've found is below.  You only need one disk, of at least 30 GB with 40 being better.

first create 2 partitions after your windows partition  The windows partition can be as small as 5 GB if it's a fresh install of XP, but with all my programs, I use 10 GB.  make the last partition however large you want the OSX partition to be.  the other partition between the two need only be 6 GB and you can enlarge the windows partition after you have completed over it.  make sure you set them both as primary with ID=af.  I used Acronis Disk Director and it shows the type as ShagOS, for what it's worth.  for my 30 GB disk i made a 12 GB windows partition (that had the 6gb deadmoo image as a file on it, so really only using 6 GB of space for XP), then 6GB OSX, then 10 GB.

Next you DD to both partitions, the 6gb deadmoo image.  you can pipe it out of the tar to save on disk space, but it takes a lot longer.

Use C:\chain0="MacOSx86" with the chain0 from Darwin, as option in boot.ini to get to the first OSX partition.  boot it up and apply the maxxus patch for stability during the imaging.  reboot and use OSX Disk Utility to make an image of the second osx partition.  It will show show the full size of the drive but the free space and used space won't add up right.  that's ok.

Now that you have an DMG of the second OSX partition, chose Erase from Disk Utility.  Then chose restore.  and restore the Image you made to the second OSX partition.  when finished the used space, free space and total should all add up right.  that's good.

Now reboot, and use partition software to delete the first OSX partition and you can even expand Windows partition by that 6GB.  now reboot again.

In the boot menu chose "MacOSx86" and that starts the Darwin Bootloader.  Now chose that last partition with "tiger-x86"  and you have OSX on expanded on a large drive.  i did this on both my machines to make the last 10GB of the drive my OSx86 part of the drive.  I've got MS Office, Photoshop, iLife, etc, all fitting easily in there. 

With my actual setup I only use a 10GB XP partition at the beginning of the drive, so i have 3 partitions, all primary, with XP (NTFS) then Storage (FAT32) then OSX (HFS+).  i stole some of the Storage Partition for the first 6GB deadmoo image.

DO NOT try to simply enlarge the 6GB partition.  OSX freaks out and won't boot.

I tried this method and everything seems to go fine until I remove the first HFS+ partition. When I reboot and choose MacOS chain0 gives an error: "Chain Boot Error". I verified the partition type and it definitly is 'af', so I don't see any reason why chain0 throws an error...

Hope someone can help me, osx86 runs great, but I want some space to expand :).

F.

No joke, but this is thread is pretty useless. If you want to be able to resize and create new hfs+ partitions, get the Marklar-Tiger.iso/.dmg and burn it to a dvd. Boot off of it, and just use it's partition manager to create a nicely sized partition to put macos on. Or, just use the same partition manager while you're in macos to resize partitions. It's so much easier than using 3rd-party software.