I thought OSX was suppose to be a great OS

mattm

16 posts in this topic

Before I spend over a grand on a mac I wanted to play with the os. Glad I did.

I've been ####ing around with this "hackintosh" and it's been nothing but a pain. Now I understand that if I bought I mac I wouldn't need to go through all this but working in the IT field I'd probably kill myself if my mac had a problem and I had to go through 1/10th of this just to get my computer working again.

I have an optiplex 755 and besides it taking a couple days to get this thing installed. The network card didn't work. Someone finally made a driver for the Intel 82566MM ethernet, which is onboard the 755. But apparently the driver is for a t61p and for some reason that 82566MM is different than my 82566MM.

I'm posthing because my question(s) are:

Does the driver made for IBM work for my Dell?

If not, why not? Whats different if they're the same model? Isn't that the point to give make models?

Also this kext thing is annoying. I thought macs were suppose to just plug and work. Why is it so much more complicated than Windows? And if all these tutorials on how to install a kext are the same lines, why can't Apple just make them a clickable install? Why do you need to go into terminal and go through all these steps?

Sorry to {censored} but this has been a headache and I'm giving up this weekend, and not looking back at macs, if this driver doesn't work.

I've been ####ing around with this "hackintosh" and it's been nothing but a pain. Now I understand that if I bought I mac I wouldn't need to go through all this but working in the IT field I'd probably kill myself if my mac had a problem and I had to go through 1/10th of this just to get my computer working again.

I have an optiplex 755 and besides it taking a couple days to get this thing installed. The network card didn't work. Someone finally made a driver for the Intel 82566MM ethernet, which is onboard the 755. But apparently the driver is for a t61p and for some reason that 82566MM is different than my 82566MM.

If not, why not? Whats different if they're the same model? Isn't that the point to give make models?

Also this kext thing is annoying. I thought macs were suppose to just plug and work. Why is it so much more complicated than Windows? And if all these tutorials on how to install a kext are the same lines, why can't Apple just make them a clickable install? Why do you need to go into terminal and go through all these steps?

Sorry to {censored} but this has been a headache and I'm giving up this weekend, and not looking back at macs, if this driver doesn't work.

Let me get this straight.... a hacked OS on unsupported hardware and for someone working in the IT field, that's enough to make an assessment of an OS's ease of use? :hysterical:

If you were serious about getting support, you would have approached this more reasonably. For me personally, I've never had to mess with kexts. I have a Mac. So compared to most here, I don't know :censored2: about how any of this really works because all I get to do is "clickable install." So is that a "0/10th" of what you've gone through? :P

And yes... I suspect you're just here hoping to antagonize the MacHeads. Too bad, there are some pretty ingenious users in here.

Oh, so doing a little file editing and copy/pasting in the terminal is too much for you even though you claim to work "in the IT field"? Wow.

Macs ARE just plug and play and hassle-free. Installing a program usually only requires you to copy the files into the Applications folder. How is that more complicated than Windows, with it's spartanic registry files and labyrinth of system library files?

Now, doing that on a computer which was NOT DESIGNED to work with that system is a complete different story and has nothing to do with the quality of the OS. I get that you're frustrated, though. Maybe you should borrow a mac from a friend or buy yourself a cheap mac like the mini if you really want to feel the OS out.

Good luck,

- hecker

Ok so your pissed,

Answers to your questions

1) Install it and find out, whats the worst thing that's gonna happen if you install the driver and it doesn't work, delete the driver?

2) If it doesn't work it's probably cause they are different chipsets, but I doubt it

3) Download Kext Helper b7 its the best thing your gonna get to a "clickable install"

On a side most people do the "osx86 thing" because everything doesn't work oob. It's fun solving problems and getting things to work, since you are an IT guy, don't you agree?

Pm me for any info or help

Wow, all i can say is wow. :)

Why would you think its going to be plug and go on unsupported hardware?

Oh, so doing a little file editing and copy/pasting in the terminal is too much for you even though you claim to work "in the IT field"? Wow.

Macs ARE just plug and play and hassle-free. Installing a program usually only requires you only to copy the files into the Applications folder. How is that more complicated than Windows, with it's spartanic registry files and labyrinth of system library files?

Now, doing that on a computer which was NOT DESIGNED to work with that system is a complete different story and has nothing to do with the quality of the OS. I get that you're frustrated, though. Maybe you should borrow a mac from a friend or buy yourself a cheap mac like the mini if you really want to feel the OS out.

Good luck,

- hecker

No reread my post. I it took me over week to just get this os installed. And the kext was pissing me off because I'm going through all the steps but nothing's happening. I don't see my network card being detected and I'm getting no errors. My whole point was in Windows it shows all devices detected whether they're known or not. Then all you have to do it tell it where the driver is and its installed. You don't need to change ownership of the driver, copy it anywhere, or change permissions to install something.

I under stand this isn't how Apple designs their systems but its still none the less availble for upgrades. Why do they make it so complicated?

I didn't read anything past your first paragraph. Mainly because I don't care :)

Wow, all i can say is wow. :)

Why would you think its going to be plug and go on unsupported hardware?

Do you know how to read and interpret what you read? No where in there did I say "plug and go". Why did you even bother {censored} replying to a post you didn't read? Were you killing time between {censored} your cat? I was installing the driver and nothing happened. Not even a {censored} error. Great OS to give no response to commands, cat {censored}!

I'm {censored} done with this {censored}.

No reread my post. I it took me over week to just get this os installed. And the kext was pissing me off because I'm going through all the steps but nothing's happening. I don't see my network card being detected and I'm getting no errors. My whole point was in Windows it shows all devices detected whether they're known or not. Then all you have to do it tell it where the driver is and its installed. You don't need to change ownership of the driver, copy it anywhere, or change permissions to install something.

I under stand this isn't how Apple designs their systems but its still none the less availble for upgrades. Why do they make it so complicated?

I didn't read anything past your first paragraph. Mainly because I don't care :)

Do you know how to read and interpret what you read? No where in there did I say "plug and go". Why did you even bother {censored} replying to a post you didn't read? Were you killing time between {censored} your cat? I was installing the driver and nothing happened. Not even a {censored} error. Great OS to give no response to commands, cat {censored}!

I'm {censored} done with this {censored}.

Hahaha, thanks man! That really made my day. :)

Now go back to your job clicking internet banners.

Geesh man, use hardware that's known to work and you won't have any such problem.

I can't believe someone working in IT would be so illogical when it comes to computers, but then again... people do routinely tell stories about clueless IT people. :hmm:

Because you can't get a hacked OS to work on some random Dell, you blame Apple, and question the quality of OSX? Genius.

"This kext thing is annoying"- I love that! You're an IT guy, complaining about having to hack a system file, then whining why doesn't Apple make it easier for you to hack their OS? HAHAHA! Clearly you haven't figured out that Apple didn't make anything complicated- they in fact, make things bone-simple. Here's a clue as to why: YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE INSTALLING OSX ON SOME FREAKIN' DELL OPTIPLEX, ACCORDING TO APPLE! You're doing all the hacking, because it's just that- a HACK!

The funniest thing is, there ARE ways of doing all this without individually hacking kexts- but I wouldn't expect someone like you to have figured any of them out. In fact, with your line about "nothing happened" it doesn't look to me like you even know how to have installed a hacked kext properly and get it working correctly in the first place.

I'm no Apple apologist, but come on, your blaming Apple for your own inability to get a Hackintosh working, is ridiculous.

I'm not blaming Apple for anything. I just don't understand why their driver installation process is so tedious and why there's a 3rd party application to make it easy when Apple could have easily integrated a similar function into their OS. Thats all and with the frustration of getting this to work on a system that people say it works on annoying me it just pissed me off that much more.

I'm not blaming Apple for anything. I just don't understand why their driver installation process is so tedious and why there's a 3rd party application to make it easy when Apple could have easily integrated a similar function into their OS. Thats all and with the frustration of getting this to work on a system that people say it works on annoying me it just pissed me off that much more.

Most device drivers are built into OSX, but when required, additional drivers are installed via an installation wizard in OSX, just like in Windows.

The tedious messing around with kext files, etc. is something that is particular of the OSX86 world.

Good luck mate,

- hecker

There isn't driver installation with a real mac. You are putting an Operating System that is designed ONLY to work with SPECIFIC hardware!! What don't you understand? If you bought a real mac, you wouldn't have to install drivers or anything for the hardware, it is just works when you first turn it on and even if you do a reinstall, all hardware just works... period. So I don't see why you need to post any more here on Insanely Mac. Why don't you send Apple your Name and Address, and give them a little run down of the problem you are having. I'm sure they will gladly send someone over to your house and help you out! You have posted the most ridiculous comments I have ever read. Thank you for making a fool out of yourself and giving all of us here at Insanely Mac a good laugh. Now, if a moderator wouldn't mind closing down this thread... it definitely doesn't have anything to do with LAN's or Wireless anymore. Have a good day mattm ... try not to use profanity when you are so frustrated with your "mac driver problems" ... it just makes you look like an idiot even more. :)

umm, lets see... OS thats supposed to only work with Specified hardware, coupled with Unsupported hardware. Were you really that surprised it didn't work OOB? Glad you don't work where I do, although I think we may have a few of your understudies.

If it annoys you, why are you even bothering? Simply leave and don't bother with os x anymore.

do not pass go, do not collect $200.