Gigabye M912X tablet hack

lithium06

16 posts in this topic

Doesn't this one have better resolution though? I just checked the site....although I'm still waiting for a netbook with a card good enough to drive a monitor...between that and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.....

If you don't do major processing...its all you need....full size at home and portable to carry around

The M912X has a slightly better video card, BUT it also soaks up a lot more power. The question comes down to would you rather have a M912X with slightly better video that lasts for around an hour and a half, or would you rather have the M912M that lasts for three hours? The video card between them is not night and day. The battery power is. Personally I'd rather have one that lasts a lot longer between charges. It is, after all, portable.

The tablet hack sure looks great! Let's hope the product will reach my shore and may consider getting it.

About the build of the product, haveing a single hinge for the swivel, from the videos I've seen so far, it looks flimsy (I worry it'd break easily...)

Comparing the price of M912 to Panasonic's Toughbook, i think the product is a steal! :)

About the build of the product, having a single hinge for the swivel, from the videos I've seen so far, it looks flimsy (I worry it'd break easily...)

Actually the videos and reviews that we've seen said just the opposite. For example;

The 180-degree rotating hinge that turns the screen into tablet mode felt very sturdy.

There is no wobble to the screen in either the normal laptop mode or in the tablet position.

Here is an update regarding the M version VS. the other versions: the 912V has CCFL backlighting and reviews say that it looks "a bit washed out".

Only the 912M has LED backlighting according to Gigabyte. The benefits of the LED backlighting on the M version are, better battery life, brighter screen and obviously they last much longer. To see what comes in the box, see the video here. The case is a VERY nice touch :)

There is also going to be a M912S with a small 4G solid state drive, and a M912T version soon, which is the one I'll probably pick up. It will include an integrated DVB module! :D

Asus is also coming out with a touchscreen in Q1 2009, but it probably won't be a tablet.