[BOOT-132] Legacy AppleHDA

stickpin

232 posts in this topic

@Stickpin,

Thank you for your terrific work!

Using retail Leopard 10.5.6 with the Extra/Extensions method.

Using all your 3 kexts from ALC883 beta4 address0, sound works perfect and everything shows up perfectly in system profiler and sound system preferences. Only the internal mic doesn't seem to work for now. Also, I see a lot of sound assertion errors while booting. But the huge advantage is that I am using vanilla 10.5.6 AppleHDA

EDIT: the internal mic actually works. I just had to increase the input volume level.

Jingu, I'm a fellow ALC883 user (addr2 rather than addr0) ... good to hear you've got yours up and running.

My setup was working fine on 10.5.5 but I upgraded this morning to 10.5.6 (the upgrade went without a hitch) and now my audio is gone.

I've tried hacking around with new kexts but from your post it appears I shouldn't have to. I'm also using the (munky) EFI method so I'm confused as to why yours works and mine doesn't.

In my /var/log/system.log I see:

Dec 30 14:41:12 localhost kernel[0]: extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController" cannot be found

Dec 30 14:41:13 localhost kernel[0]: can't find extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController

Dec 30 14:41:13 localhost kernel[0]: Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.

Dec 30 14:41:13 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Dec 30 14:41:13 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Dec 30 14:41:13 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"

Any pointers you can provide or extra steps you went through?

Thanks.

Jingu, I'm a fellow ALC883 user (addr2 rather than addr0) ... good to hear you've got yours up and running.

My setup was working fine on 10.5.5 but I upgraded this morning to 10.5.6 (the upgrade went without a hitch) and now my audio is gone.

I've tried hacking around with new kexts but from your post it appears I shouldn't have to. I'm also using the (munky) EFI method so I'm confused as to why yours works and mine doesn't.

In my /var/log/system.log I see:

Any pointers you can provide or extra steps you went through?

Thanks.

Make sure you are using all 3 kexts from the ALC883 package (HDAEnabler, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver and LegacyHDAController)

Make sure your AppleHDA kext in S/L/E is the 10.5.6 Vanilla one. Sometimes you still have remnants of an old patched AppleHDA without knowing it. That was my problem in one of my previous attempts.

Repair permissions and don't forget to clear your kext caches before rebooting.

I put all my kexts in /Extra/Extensions

I repaired permissions with:

Chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions

Chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions

Then I create the Extensions.mkext with

sudo kextcache -a i386 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

That creates the Extensions.mkext with all the right permisssions.

I renamed /Extra/Extensions to /Extra/Extensions1 with sudo mv /Extra/Extensions /Extra/Extensions1

That last step will ensure that the Extensions.mkext will be loaded and not the content of /Extra/Extensions/

guys,

do anyone who has many sound assertion in the console log notice that the system does not go to sleep when idle ?!

only the display sleeps!

also my pc power button does not sleep it, although when i sleep it manually through apple menu (which works) the same power button works waking it up again!

Well,

I should not do that, since most my questions are ignored on this forum!..

but what the hell,..

Here is a better working Alc888 address 2 legacy driver, Without any sound assertion errors (At least for me)

I edited it myself.

• It should be working analog 5.1 too

credits: Thanks for stickpin and cparm for their work

Legacy_Alc888_Address_2_Driver.zip

MyDump.txt

Well,

I should not do that, since most my questions are ignored on this forum!..

but what the hell,..

Here is a better working Alc888 address 2 legacy driver, Without any sound assertion errors (At least for me)

I edited it myself.

• It should be working analog 5.1 too

credits: Thanks for stickpin and cparm for their work

Glad it worked out for you. If you don't mind, could you share with us the changes you made? I'd like to replicate for my codec 889/885

Chagani

Glad it worked out for you. If you don't mind, could you share with us the changes you made? I'd like to replicate for my codec 889/885

Chagani

Hey, me too Pink Waters. I am curious to know what changes you made so I can apply the same thing to my ALC883 codec and eliminate all those numerous sound assertion errors.

its basically pin configurations.

i didn't get how its supposed to be done/figured out form the king tutorial.

so i tried pulling the ones from another working pins ( cparm's ones) but not for ich7 board and it helped with the assertion errors

the rest is the codec verbs which the king actually explains it on his post.

Hi, Im trying alc888s in DG35EC, does anybody success with this?

I just got 2ch with azalia.

Great i can have original applehda kext, and thoses kext in /extra :( So great

But i 've got this in console, several times per second :

kernel Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler

What's the pb ?

can someone help me resolve assertion errors on ALC882? i have two of them every 5 seconds. i tried to patch HDA but i simply cant.

i tried both versions, addr0 and addr2 but both of them lets me hear audio but no microphone also.

perhaps someone has a ALC882 working and might share it with me.

i have a Asus P5LD2-VM SE mobo.

thanks guys.

@Stickpin: Your ALC889A BETA V5 appears to work great on my Hack (configuration below). Thank you!!

Hi,

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R. I get numerous assertion errors in my console when I use V4 or V5 (889A). I verified the pin configs (as per Pink Waters suggestion) but I can't get rid of them.

Do you get these errors?

Regards,

Chagani

Hi,

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R. I get numerous assertion errors in my console when I use V4 or V5 (889A). I verified the pin configs (as per Pink Waters suggestion) but I can't get rid of them.

Do you get these errors?

Regards,

Chagani

Yeah, I was just noticing that. I was so happy to have audio working at all that I didn't check the details. This is annoying. But at least I have working audio out.

Thanks stickpin again.

I tried to edit your legacy kext for working my GA-945GCM-S2L. All analog outputs works fine, except Digital Out got only 2ch. Mic Rear seems to work as Line In.

HDA_662_Add2_legacy.zip

legacy_662_normal_fixed.zip fixed one error of HDAEnabler.kext

Also, I made for Gigabyte ALC888. The problem is Digital Out got only 2ch.

HDA_888_Add2_legacy.zip

Please tell me, if anyone uses legacy and can get Encoded Digital Audio. Solved

If you are using legacy kexts and getting Digital Out w/ 2ch only, you can solve by only patching AppleHDA binary. For example, change from 85 08 EC 10 to 83 08 EC 10.

Hi,

Do you get these errors?

Regards,

Chagani

Same problem here

sound working but i keep getting this error:

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 2742 goto handler

Same problem here

sound working but i keep getting this error:

@WinstonAce

I edited stickpin's legacy for working my EP35-DS3P, ALC889A. You may try these followings. Credit to stickpin.

1)Legacy 3outs3ins + digital + Headphone autodetection

2)Legacy 3outs3ins + digital + Headphone that does not support HDA

3)Legacy 4outs3ins + no digital + Headphone autodetection

4)Legacy 4outs3ins + no digital + Headphone that does not support HDA

You may install to (1) /Extra/Extensions folder, (2) /Extra/Extensions.mkext, or (3) /System/Library/Extensions folder.