Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

Hi Verdant,

I tried what you suggested in you previous posting and heres what happened.

I downloaded the kext you suggested and installed it using that kext helper. That went successfully.

Then i installed chameleon RC3 and that told me it was successful.

Then i used the dsdt patcher you reccomended (first download link on webpage) and that produced the dsdt.aml file. I then used spotlight to find the folder "Extra" and dropped the dsdt.aml file in that folder along with the other folder in it called "Extensions". I did not place it in the "Extensions" folder, just in the "Extra" folder. After doing all that and rebooting, it still tells me in the terminal that i have only 2 cores running.

I am not sure if i did everything correctly. I am kind of new to unix based stuff so please let me know if i did it incorrectly.

Thanks.

Hi Verdant,

I tried what you suggested in you previous posting and heres what happened.

I downloaded the kext you suggested and installed it using that kext helper. That went successfully.

Then i installed chameleon RC3 and that told me it was successful.

Then i used the dsdt patcher you reccomended (first download link on webpage) and that produced the dsdt.aml file. I then used spotlight to find the folder "Extra" and dropped the dsdt.aml file in that folder along with the other folder in it called "Extensions". I did not place it in the "Extensions" folder, just in the "Extra" folder. After doing all that and rebooting, it still tells me in the terminal that i have only 2 cores running.

I am not sure if i did everything correctly. I am kind of new to unix based stuff so please let me know if i did it incorrectly.

Thanks.

Hope you don't mind my asking obvious questions but I need to understand where things stand......

1. You have no option in BIOS for individually enabling/disabling CPU cores?

2. The patched dsdt.dsl file was compiled to dsdt.aml without any errors?

3. The patched dsdt.aml file was renamed as DSDT.aml and placed in the /Extra directory? It must be named DSDT.aml to be loaded......

If so, try with a copy of this DSDT.aml placed in the / directory, i.e. root directory as well.......

4. In your About This Mac is the CPU listed as Unknown or not?

5. At the beginning of the boot screen do you see lines saying that only 2 of 4 cores are enabled?

Ok here is where things stand.

1. there is no option in the bios to disable any of the cores.

2. the dsdt.aml file was compiled without any errors. I just used the regular settings without using force compile.

3. The patched dsdt.aml file was renamed as DSDT.aml in the Extra directiory folder that is alongside the other folders such as developer, system users etc. (I dont know how to find the root directory)

4. The CPU is listed as "Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600"

5. I cant see anything at the boot screen when i type -v to boot into leopard. It appears to say nothing about the number of cores enabled. Honestly the screen text was displayed for only a split second so i cant tell.

Hopefully this info helps.

Ok here is where things stand.

1. there is no option in the bios to disable any of the cores.

2. the dsdt.aml file was compiled without any errors. I just used the regular settings without using force compile.

3. The patched dsdt.aml file was renamed as DSDT.aml in the Extra directiory folder that is alongside the other folders such as developer, system users etc. (I dont know how to find the root directory)

4. The CPU is listed as "Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600"

5. I cant see anything at the boot screen when i type -v to boot into leopard. It appears to say nothing about the number of cores enabled. Honestly the screen text was displayed for only a split second so i cant tell.

Hopefully this info helps.

The root directory i.e. / is the same directory in which you see the Extra folder.....

Please zip up your dsdt.dsl file and upload it to a url link and PM me so that I can download and examine it......I will only be able to do this tomorrow or the day after.......I suspect it may well need further patching......particularly if booting with cpus=3 and/or cpus=4 causes a kernel panic.......

Bye for now........ ;)

Hi Verdant,

Just have one question when you have the time:

When you talked about placing the patched dsdt file in the Extra directory you explicity describred it as the one that was made the chameleon 2.0 bootloader which suits my system (either RC4, RC3 etc) and installing it in that extra folder. But when i look at the info on that folder, it says it was created yesterday at 8:30 (when i installed leopard), not tonight, which is when i installed the chameleon rc3 bootloader. So could it maybe be that i have installed the chameleon bootloader incorrectly since the folder looks not to have been created by the rc3 bootloader?

Its just a thought cuz i want to be sure i didnt make any stupid mistakes.

Thanks.

Hi Verdant,

Just have one question when you have the time:

When you talked about placing the patched dsdt file in the Extra directory you explicity describred it as the one that was made the chameleon 2.0 bootloader which suits my system (either RC4, RC3 etc) and installing it in that extra folder. But when i look at the info on that folder, it says it was created yesterday at 8:30 (when i installed leopard), not tonight, which is when i installed the chameleon rc3 bootloader. So could it maybe be that i have installed the chameleon bootloader incorrectly since the folder looks not to have been created by the rc3 bootloader?

Its just a thought cuz i want to be sure i didnt make any stupid mistakes.

Thanks.

If you did not manually create a /Extra directory (i.e. folder), then when you run the Chameleon installer, it will create it for you and populate it with an Extensions folder containing some kexts......and a Themes folder.....

Hi Verdant,

When you get a chance, here is the zipped dsdt file you were looking for.

http://rapidshare.com/files/364405735/dsdt.aml.zip.html

And by the way, when i compiled the dsdt file with the patcher there actually was one error that i didnt see before. It appeared like this:

Getting the DSDT through ioreg...

ioreg: error: can't obtain properties.

I dont know if this is particularly relevant but i thought you should know. At the end it did say 0 errors though.

Let me know what you think i should do.

Thanks again.

Hi Verdant,

There is another avenue i have recently considered for getting all of my cores to work.

I downloaded iDeneb v 1.6 a while back and i remember that when i boot from the dvd, or into leopard i dont have to enter cpus=1 which could be an indication that ideneb might be an easier road for me. But when i tried to boot from it using very similar options as in my IAtkos v7 install, it would only boot to the grey screen with the apple logo. And if i booted with -v, it should me this message:

Mac framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers.

I know it still wasnt able to boot into leopard but it got much further with 4 cores enabled then iAtkos v7 did.

I had this same error before with iAtkos v7 but fixed it with the ACPI patches. I did the same thing for iDeneb and it still wouldnt boot.

My important selections were selections were:

Vanilla kernel

gt 200 drivers

applNforceATA

jmicronATA

AHCI

applePS2

DSDT

ACPI fix

So im just tinking that this might be a better avenue to use iDeneb 1.6 becuase the CPU appears to be more stable in this version. But i will wait so see what you think about the dsdt file i sent you.

Thanks Again.

@verdant

Literally right after I posted my problem, I had done a couple shutdown/reboots and the usb worked. I tried deleting my post so you didn't have to waste your time lol. I'm currently trying to get my 9800GTX+ recognized and then once johnathann1818 gets all the cores working I can get that going. I'm not so worried about the cores right now because I know I can add a string to boot cpu=2 and not have to enter that everytime. I had patched my DSDT with the GUI patcher and it went through fine. I did copy it to the root folder and then to the Extra folder, but I didn't see any other DSDT file, unless its hidden or something. As of right now, it sits in the root folder next to the Extra folder and all the other folders. Still shows 2 cores when I run the command in Terminal. System Profiler does show the same as johnathann1818

Hi Verdant,

There is another avenue i have recently considered for getting all of my cores to work.

I downloaded iDeneb v 1.6 a while back and i remember that when i boot from the dvd, or into leopard i dont have to enter cpus=1 which could be an indication that ideneb might be an easier road for me. But when i tried to boot from it using very similar options as in my IAtkos v7 install, it would only boot to the grey screen with the apple logo. And if i booted with -v, it should me this message:

Mac framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers.

I know it still wasnt able to boot into leopard but it got much further with 4 cores enabled then iAtkos v7 did.

I had this same error before with iAtkos v7 but fixed it with the ACPI patches. I did the same thing for iDeneb and it still wouldnt boot.

My important selections were selections were:

Vanilla kernel

gt 200 drivers

applNforceATA

jmicronATA

AHCI

applePS2

DSDT

ACPI fix

So im just tinking that this might be a better avenue to use iDeneb 1.6 becuase the CPU appears to be more stable in this version. But i will wait so see what you think about the dsdt file i sent you.

Thanks Again.

Again choose the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel instead of the vanilla kernel.......also OS X prefers a USB keyboard and USB mouse to a PS/2 keyboard and mouse......also see my Leopard distro install guides in my blog........sometimes JMicron chipsets can be problematic......I will look at the dsdt file as soon as I am able to......

hi Verdant,

I did try installing iDeneb v1.6 again and even with the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel still doesnt boot. Still get the same error message.

It was worth a try.

Thanks.

OK.........If I can, I will try to look at your DSDT.aml after I have had some food...... :P

Sure take your time. I really appreciate it.

I am starting to check your DSDT.aml now.......I will post here when I have finished......not sure how long it will take so may need to finish tomorrow if I run out of time today......

UPDATE: Here is my patched DSDT.aml file for your XFX 750i SLI Extreme MOBO........let me know if it enables all 4 cores of your Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU........ :dev:

BE SURE to keep a copy of your original DSDT.aml file in a safe place before replacing it in / directory with my patched version......

Hi Verdant,

I tried using that patched DSDT.aml file you uploaded.

I did a fresh install of leopard exactly as i did before and i installed the new ACPI kexts with the kext helper b7 as you advised in a previous posting. I then installed chameleon 2.0 RC3 and placed your DSDT.aml file in the Extra folder.

After all that i still cant boot with 4 cores. I can only boot with 2.

I dont think i did anything wrong but if you think i might have let me know.

I even went into the terminal just to check and it still said that only 2 cores were active.

Hopefully there is a solution for this.

As i said before in a previous post, i tried iDeneb v1.6 with the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and it made no difference. I still got the same IO buffer headers error message. Maybe using your patched dsdt with iDeneb would be a good option. Just throwing that out there.

Let me know what you think.

Thank.

Hi Verdant,

I did also try to move the DSDT.aml file to the root directory of Extra and it told i couldnt move it there because it said it was invisible. This is probably why this isnt working because the dsdt is actually being stored and used from the root directory.

How can i get it there?

Thanks.

Hi Verdant,

I tried using that patched DSDT.aml file you uploaded.

I did a fresh install of leopard exactly as i did before and i installed the new ACPI kexts with the kext helper b7 as you advised in a previous posting. I then installed chameleon 2.0 RC3 and placed your DSDT.aml file in the Extra folder.

After all that i still cant boot with 4 cores. I can only boot with 2.

I dont think i did anything wrong but if you think i might have let me know.

I even went into the terminal just to check and it still said that only 2 cores were active.

Hopefully there is a solution for this.

As i said before in a previous post, i tried iDeneb v1.6 with the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and it made no difference. I still got the same IO buffer headers error message. Maybe using your patched dsdt with iDeneb would be a good option. Just throwing that out there.

Let me know what you think.

Thank.

Hi Verdant,

I did also try to move the DSDT.aml file to the root directory of Extra and it told i couldnt move it there because it said it was invisible. This is probably why this isnt working because the dsdt is actually being stored and used from the root directory.

How can i get it there?

Thanks.

The Terminal commands to show/hide hidden and system files are:

To show hidden and system files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To hide hidden and system files

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

or, you can download and run TinkerTool.....check box Show hidden and system files and press Relaunch Finder and then uncheck Show hidden and system files and press Relaunch Finder.......

When hidden files are unhidden you can simply "drag and drop" them as normal files......and then hide them again......

Hi Verdant,

I just rebooted my machine and all 4 cores work!

It is really stable too.

Thank you very much for all that you have done. You have been a great help.

Also, how can i make a donation cuz i saw on the forum that ts is not asked for but i think you definitely deserve it for your efforts.

Thanks Again.

Hi Verdant,

I just rebooted my machine and all 4 cores work!

It is really stable too.

Thank you very much for all that you have done. You have been a great help.

Also, how can i make a donation cuz i saw on the forum that ts is not asked for but i think you definitely deserve it for your efforts.

Thanks Again.

Really pleased that my patched DSDT is working for you in enabling all 4 CPU cores....... :pirate2:

There is a donation link in post #1 and at the bottom of my signature.......thank you for showing your appreciation for my help......your donation is appreciated....... :)

@ bbenson04

Hope the patched DSDT.aml file works for you too.......as I am off to bed now to get some much needed sleep......only had 3 hours sleep yesterday.....

Hi Verdant,

I know this is probably not the right place to post this but now that i have installed os x, i am trying to dual boot it with chameleon and it shows my other windows 7 drives but i cant boot from them when i select them in chameleon. It just tells me:

BMGR is missing

Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

I am kind of puzzled becuase I set my disk boot priority to boot win 7 first but that appears to change nothing.

So i am just wondering how i can boot into win 7 with out simply taking off the case cover and unplugging the os x drive.

I figure this is the wrong place to post this but ive looked at a lot of forums for people with the same problem and i cant find any relevant info.

If you know of a better thread to post this let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Verdant,

I know this is probably not the right place to post this but now that i have installed os x, i am trying to dual boot it with chameleon and it shows my other windows 7 drives but i cant boot from them when i select them in chameleon. It just tells me:

BMGR is missing

Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

I am kind of puzzled becuase I set my disk boot priority to boot win 7 first but that appears to change nothing.

So i am just wondering how i can boot into win 7 with out simply taking off the case cover and unplugging the os x drive.

I figure this is the wrong place to post this but ive looked at a lot of forums for people with the same problem and i cant find any relevant info.

If you know of a better thread to post this let me know.

Thanks.

If you have Windows 7 and OS X on separate HDDs......and assuming that the OS systems are the first volume on each HDD......then simply install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta in Windows 7.....

1. Install and run EasyBCD, and navigate to the "Add/Remove Entries" screen.

2. Select "Mac OS X" from the tabs at the top.

3. From the platform drop-down list, select "Generic x86 Hardware"

4. You can then the name from the default "NST Mac OS X," if you wish

5. Press "Add Entry"

6. Exit and reboot

and Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 in OS X.........

The DSDT.aml file did work! Is there a tutorial in case I can't find the file and need to redo it?

I am also having problems with some graphics stuff. The problem is when I move windows around, or sometimes scrolling in a window, I'll get horizontal lines as a trail almost. Its not a big deal, but its not perfect, and that bugs me :(

I posted on aquamac's forum under his 9800GTX post because he got it working. I've just noticed this problem with my most recent re-installation of Leopard. The last 2 installs have been like that, but for some reason it never did this before.

The DSDT.aml file did work! Is there a tutorial in case I can't find the file and need to redo it?

I am also having problems with some graphics stuff. The problem is when I move windows around, or sometimes scrolling in a window, I'll get horizontal lines as a trail almost. Its not a big deal, but its not perfect, and that bugs me :)

I posted on aquamac's forum under his 9800GTX post because he got it working. I've just noticed this problem with my most recent re-installation of Leopard. The last 2 installs have been like that, but for some reason it never did this before.

Glad the patched DSDT.aml file worked for you too...... :)

There is no DSDT tutorial that I have written......to enable all 4 CPU cores, I simply removed the lines Alias (P002, CPU2) and Alias (P004, CPU4) from Scope (_PR)........why do you not just archive all your important OSx86 files on a CDR?

Your graphics driver options are:

1. For nVidia graphics cards, the Chameleon Graphics Enabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

2. Injector kext such as NVEnabler

3. Graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>"for example:   6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c   </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 for example.....

Ok, I'll do that then. Here's the only problem I can see now with my setup, its purely cosmetic though.

th_Picture1.png

There are those dashes that appear when moving a window or opening/closing one.

Not sure what is causing it or why.

Ok, I'll do that then. Here's the only problem I can see now with my setup, its purely cosmetic though.

th_Picture1.png

There are those dashes that appear when moving a window or opening/closing one.

Not sure what is causing it or why.

BTW the 3 graphics driver options are mutually exclusive i.e. you can only use them singly on their own, not in combination......

Those dashes are not cosmetic.......they are video artifacts, showing that you have not set up your video correctly........

Hmm, well I added the GFX string because the kext's wouldn't work, and its what aquamac recommended.

Here's my Boot.plist file after I used OSX86 Tools to add the GFX string.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>custom</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>de0300000100000001000000d20300001500000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000030

101060000000101060000000101060000007fff040014000000400032002c006e0061006d00650000

001100000073656e736f722d706172656e74220000005600520041004d002c0074006f00740061006

c00730069007a0065000000080000000000002036000000400032002c00680077006300740072006c

002d0070006100720061006d0073002d00760065007200730069006f006e000000080000000000000

21c0000006400650076006900630065005f0074007900700065000000100000004e5644412c476546

6f7263650e0000006e0061006d00650000000f0000004e5644412c506172656e74220000004000300

02c006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000b000000646973706c6179100000

006d006f00640065006c0000001f0000004e5649444941204765466f7263652039383030204754582

044444c22000000400031002c006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000b0000

00646973706c617912000000400032002c00720065006700000008000000000000022200000040003

2002c006400650076006900630065005f0074007900700065000000120000004e5644412c6770752d

64696f646520000000400032002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650000001600000

04e5644412c73656e736f722d706172656e7422000000400032002c002300730069007a0065002d00

630065006c006c0073000000080000000000000020000000400031002c0063006f006d00700061007

400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d616314000000400030002c006e0061006d

0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d413a000000400032002c00680077007300650

06e0073006f0072002d0070006100720061006d0073002d00760065007200730069006f006e000000

080000000000000226000000400032002c0023006100640072006500730073002d00630065006c006

c0073000000080000000000000114000000400031002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644

412c446973706c61792d4220000000400030002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006c00650

000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d61631e00000072006f006d002d00720065007600690073006900

6f006e000000090000003331373261100000004e00560043004100500000001800000004000000000

003000c00000000000007000000000e0000004e00560050004d000000200000000100000000000000

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000</string>

</dict>

</plist>