Leopard on Series 7 NVIDIA nForce MCP + Intel CPU MOBOs

verdant

Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to Mysticus C* to enable him to continue making and updating nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO-focussed Kernel/Drivers Installer packages, Combo Updater Packages......possibly even a DVD......?

• Yes, before new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, after new and/or updated packages are released
    • Yes, but only after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • Unsure, I may donate after I have used the new and/or updated packages successfully on my system
    • No
  2. 2. Level of Demand for Installer Packages for nForce chipset MOBOs

• Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Would you like it if new and/or updated installer packages for nForce chipset + AMD CPU MOBOs were to be developed by an OSx86 forum member?
    • Would you be willing to donate an amount of your choosing to such a developer using an nForce chipset + AMD CPU nForce MOBO?
    • Do you have a DESKTOP nForce chipset MOBO?
    • Do you have a LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK nForce chipset MOBO?
  3. 3. Nature of donations offered

• Would you prefer to donate hardware (in good faith on the basis of trust) acceptable to the developer, to enable him/her to build a system on which to develop the installer packages?
    • Would you prefer to donate cash (in good faith on the basis of trust) to the developer to defray his/her upfront cost of acquiring a system on which to develop the installer packages?

1,138 posts in this topic

The way it is right now, after installing what you said you did for the Kalyway install, it does not boot with the flags.

Try using the kernel_92_nforce kernel........if that does not work, try the kernel_vanilla_92 kernel.........

But if you can boot using the Kalyway Install DVD with rd=disk0s1 as a boot flag, where OS X is the first volume (s1) on your HDD (i.e. disk 0), then the installed kernel is working......this is confirmed by your screen shot which shows that the ToH Darwin kernel 9.2.0 is loaded and running.......

Summarise your current BIOS settings here........

That's kinda what I was thinking about the kernel. Usually if the kernel is wrong then it'll panic. The only reason I haven't tried installing chameleon yet is because I haven't found a way to boot with flags because it only let's me select the drive I want to boot. I'm tempted to install mackerintel's chameleon, I'm just not sure how to boot with -v if all I get is the bootloader screen. I'm nit that familiar with chameleon though either so it's definately a possibility that I just don't know how to do that.

That's kinda what I was thinking about the kernel. Usually if the kernel is wrong then it'll panic. The only reason I haven't tried installing chameleon yet is because I haven't found a way to boot with flags because it only let's me select the drive I want to boot. I'm tempted to install mackerintel's chameleon, I'm just not sure how to boot with -v if all I get is the bootloader screen. I'm nit that familiar with chameleon though either so it's definately a possibility that I just don't know how to do that.

With Chameleon installed......when the Chameleon bootloader screen appears with your OS X boot drive icon displayed and framed (indicating that you have selected it as the volume to boot from) just type -v rd=disk0s1 and "-v rd=disk0s1" will appear in the bottom lefthand corner of the bootloader screen.......then press Enter......

Ok. And as long as I can boot off the install disc, I should be able to install chameleon. Is there a USB kext you know of that I can install that works with these motherboards? Burning a cd for the chameleon install is kind of a waste.

Ok. And as long as I can boot off the install disc, I should be able to install chameleon. Is there a USB kext you know of that I can install that works with these motherboards? Burning a cd for the chameleon install is kind of a waste.

You can try slice's USB 2.0 Leopard IOUSBFamily kexts.......see post #1.......I have to say I am surprised by the problems you are having.......do you have temporary access to another Intel Hack or Mac......?

I do have a Dell Mini with it installed....It seems like the problems are because it's an XFX and not ASUS. It's has MSI bios too and I don't know what the other boards have.

OK.....I will PM you in about 10 minutes......also see here.........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Verdant,

I have only one problem i want to fix with my hackintosh. I can only boot into os x with one core (ie cpus=1). I installed iAtkos v7 and everything else works flawlessly.

my options at install were both ACPI patches, gt 200 drivers, vanilla kernel, chameleon bootloader, jmicron ATA, appleNforceATA, netkasa and ALL of the other default selections. I cant remeber the rest but these are the important ones.

I have also set my bios settings to the ones outlined at the beginning of this thread. (I have enbaled HPET).

I would really like to fix this so if you could, let me know what i can do to try fixing this.

Thank you for your time.

I know everyone is probably tired of all the {censored} "not working" stories.. I'm a total n00b to the world of OSx86 and I actually don't have a problem..just wanted to post up and say hello..

I read a snipet somewhere about how someone used "Kalyway 10.5.2 OSX" to install onto a 780i motherboard.. thought to myself.. i have spare EVGA 780i.. So I acquired an ISO and started the install.. I barely read anything(I hate documentation).. just followed all the screen options and actually did driver selection in the installer until I felt it was correct for my system. Now I read the instructions in this thread that are 2 years old and it says to just take the defaults with no driver selection.. oops I guess I was lucky :) .. and I defaulted my BIOS but turned on ACPI.. that's all i did.. didn't realize I had to set other options..

well.. 1st time fail of course.. googled the error and decided to go down to 4G of memory for the install.. 2nd try failed again.. so i removed more memory until 2GB was left.. and 3rd time .. it seemed to like 2GB of memory! The install was nothing I'm used to in Windows. There were many times when it looked like the whole machine locked up and shutdown but I just let it do it's thing.. and about 45 mins later.. the system booted into OSX!

System specs:

EVGA 780i 132-CK-NF78 bios P09

Core2Quad QX7600 @2.67GHz

4GB Crucial Ballistix

EVGA 8800GTX 768M

500GB WD SATA HD

Sony IDE Bluray drive

Of course my sleep doesn't work (which I disabled and don't care because it's not like windows machines don't have lots of problems with sleep too) but I can restart and shutdown.. and my NIC didn't work.. which I googled and found the solution on this forum--My first time visiting here LOL. So now my NIC works great I was working on the machine all night transferring large files, installing apps and messing with geektool .. sheepshaver (I'm an old school OS7-OS9 software developer) barely a problem..

Can it be this easy? Now i'm reading these forums about all the supposedly wrong things I did.. That's my story anyways.. here's me giving it a test.. downloading {censored}, playing mkv's.. multitasking..

hackintosh.jpg

4 cores seen.. 4GB memory .. everything looks right..

picture3gd.png

happy camper

Hi Verdant,

I have only one problem i want to fix with my hackintosh. I can only boot into os x with one core (ie cpus=1). I installed iAtkos v7 and everything else works flawlessly.

my options at install were both ACPI patches, gt 200 drivers, vanilla kernel, chameleon bootloader, jmicron ATA, appleNforceATA, netkasa and ALL of the other default selections. I cant remeber the rest but these are the important ones.

I have also set my bios settings to the ones outlined at the beginning of this thread. (I have enbaled HPET).

I would really like to fix this so if you could, let me know what i can do to try fixing this.

Thank you for your time.

First try installing the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel with matching 9.5.0 System.kext from here (manually install kernel by copying to / directory and System kext to/S/L/E using KextHelper b7) and likewise the 9.5.0 seatbelt.kext.......

Then in Terminal

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.original
sudo ln -s /mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel
exit

because it is a good idea to keep roll-back kernels in / directory that you can boot from (even if only by using cpus=1)

@ leemik

It is interesting to read about your experience and success with OSx86........enjoy OS X........and be prepared to want to experience a "real" Intel Mac at some point...... :)

BTW I still enjoy using OS 9 on my G3/G4 Macs just because it is so fast on those Macs compared with OS X......and in Classic Mode on my dual G5s........I have not found any equivalent OS X app that I like as much as Claris Draw in OS 9.....I use iCab as a browser in OS 9......... :P

Hi Verdant,

Thanks you for your quick response. I took your suggestion and decided I would just reinstall leopard with the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel.

Now i can boot into leopard stable with 2 cores. I still cant boot into os x with full cpu functionality.

Should i try the voodoo 9.7.0 kernel or is there a known fix for this that i can apply? I was also thinking that maybe selecting both acpi patches might be causing a problem since i tells you to only select one.

Please let me know i can try next.

Thanks.

Hi Verdant,

Thanks you for your quick response. I took your suggestion and decided I would just reinstall leopard with the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel.

Now i can boot into leopard stable with 2 cores. I still cant boot into os x with full cpu functionality.

Should i try the voodoo 9.7.0 kernel or is there a known fix for this that i can apply? I was also thinking that maybe selecting both acpi patches might be causing a problem since i tells you to only select one.

Please let me know i can try next.

Thanks.

First, explain in more detail what you mean by "I still cant boot into os x with full cpu functionality.".......and report if you see any kext related errors when booting with -v debug=0x100

Hi Verdant,

I apologize for being too vague.

All i meant was that i have to type in cpus=2 if i want leopard to boot. I still cannot even boot into leopard with all 4 cores.

As i said before, i installed a fresh copy with voodoo 9.5.0 kernel.

When i type -v degub=0x100 all that happens after about 5 seconds as leopard boots, the computer just restarts and it never shows any error messages.

Please let me know what you think.

Hi Verdant,

I apologize for being too vague.

All i meant was that i have to type in cpus=2 if i want leopard to boot. I still cannot even boot into leopard with all 4 cores.

As i said before, i installed a fresh copy with voodoo 9.5.0 kernel.

When i type -v degub=0x100 all that happens after about 5 seconds as leopard boots, the computer just restarts and it never shows any error messages.

Please let me know what you think.

Oops, sorry a typo from trying to type too quickly it should be

-v debug=0x100

When you have booted into Leopard with cpus=2 what do you see in System Profiler for CPU Type and number of CPUs.......and in Terminal, what do you get when you type

uname -a

Hi Verdant,

This is what it said when i typed uname -a in terminal.

Last login: Tue Mar 16 00:38:07 on console

jonathan-nogas-mac-pro:~ jonathannoga$ uname -a

Darwin jonathan-nogas-mac-pro.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

jonathan-nogas-mac-pro:~ jonathannoga$

And by the way the typo was my fault. I had typed -v debug=0x100 correctly at boot but not in the forum.

And my system profiler says:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

Serial Number (system): To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

@verdant:

I redownloaded iAtkos v7, made a little more progress than I did with Kalyway. I got it to boot to Chameleon v2 and here are 3 screenshots of different flags used.

----|-v -x |------------------| -v -x debug=0x100 (Still waiting for root device) |---------| -v -x cpus=1 (Still waiting for root device)

th_DSC00282.jpg----------------------------th_DSC00283.jpg--------------------------------------th_DSC00284.jpg

Hey bbenson04,

I have exactly the same setup but different video card. I got mine to run stable with iAtkos v7.

My selections were:

Chameleon v2

voodoo 9.5.0 kernel

both ACPI fixes (this is really important for this motherboard)

jmicronATA

AppleNforceATA

AHCI

USB

ApplePS2

netkas bios fix

gt 200 drivers

and all the other stuff that was selected by default.

If you select all of that you should have no trouble. I didn't and the only problem i have is i can only boot into os x with 2 cores.

I dont know what you have tried but that worked for me.

Let me know how it goes.

@ jonathann1818

@ bbenson04

Regarding ACPI issues, the fix usually involves these kexts:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

so try the OLD and/or NEW kexts here.....install using Kext Helper b7.......but sometimes IOACPIFamily.kext is involved too.....

But you should also patch your DSDT.aml file using fassl's DSDT Patcher because DSDT is a part of the ACPI subsystem.....initially try patching without using Force compile and/or new HPET options......put the patched DSDT.aml file in /Extra directory created by the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader that suits your MOBO/system best (i.e. Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or RC2 or RC3 or RC4 bootloader), working backwards from RC4 or RC3 if you are not sure, using Dr Hurt's unofficial RC3 installer or RC4 installer.....

After applying ACPI fix and/or DSDT patch, type in Terminal

sysctl hw.activecpu

to see the number of active cores.....

Thanks johnathann, I'll give it a try tonight. I had most of that selected but not the 9.5.0 kernel and nforce stuff. I have been kinda stumped on this and it's nice to finally figure put a domination that worked somewhat. If it does work, we'll need to find a fix for getting all 4 cores to work. How much RAM are you running?

Thanks johnathann, I'll give it a try tonight. I had most of that selected but not the 9.5.0 kernel and nforce stuff. Verdant and I have been kinda stumped on this and it's nice to finally figure put a domination that worked somewhat. If it does work, we'll need to find a fix for getting all 4 cores to work. How much RAM are you running?

Hi bbenson04, if you have not been selecting Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel with 9.5.0 System.kext and 9.5.0 seatbelt kext, plus a AppleNForceATA.kext option in Customize, your problems are no major surprise to me......I had always assumed you had followed post #1 closely, which mentioned all of this......see KERNEL & KEXT & SYSTEM UPDATES......?

Well this is the first time I even got iatkos to install, every other time I got a kernel panic, which I found to be from my 4gb of RAM. I'd get the panic after the installer would go, but I took out a 2gb stick and it installed. I'll go back and tweak it.

Well this is the first time I even got iatkos to install, every other time I got a kernel panic, which I found to be from my 4gb of RAM. I'd get the panic after the installer would go, but I took out a 2gb stick and it installed. I'll go back and tweak it.

Yes, that is why I said to boot with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" with every distro because if the Leopard distro Install DVD has not got slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext cached in the Extensions.mkext file that it uses when it boots, you will get a kernel panic from the RAM lockup due to having >3GB RAM installed......

Anyhow, let's move on......and now get OS X running 100% for you........ :)

Hi bbenson04,

I currently have 2 GB of ram installed but i have gotten to work before with 8 GB.

As for the new install, were you able to boot into leopard?

Cuz with those settings you shold be able to have a functional hackintosh, maybe with not all 4 cores but it will run.

And if it doesnt work loook at your intall options carefully and follow exactly as i suggested.

Let me know if it was a success.

Alright guys! I can boot into Leopard using cpus=2, which is fine for me right now. I really want to work on getting my USB to work before I attempt anything else, I just don't want to have to burn a bunch of DVDs to get the kexts. So, I did install the USB from iatkos but its not working. Any recommendations?

Explain what you mean by USB not working......it can be not working in one of two ways, or not working in two ways!

1. In System Profiler > USB, do you see/not see the High Speed USB 2.0 (EHCI) bus?

2. Can you hot mount/unmount USB devices e.g. flash drive on the Desktop?

Problem 2. is an easy fix.......make sure that your kernel version and System.kext version are both the same......so if using Voodoo 9.5.0 then the 9.5.0 System.kext should be used......

Problem 1. is when you do not see the High Speed USB 2.0 (EHCI) bus in System Profiler and/or get error messages on bootup similar to:

EHCI Controller unable to take control from BIOS.

AppleUSBEHCI [0x5095800] unable to obtain ownership 0xe00002be.

AppleUSBEHCI [0x5095800] unable to obtain ownership 0xe00002be.

AppleUSBEHCI [0x5095800] UIM Initialize - Error Occurred.

AppleUSBEHCI Unable to Initialize UIM.

it can be much more difficult to solve.......

But try the USB-nForce-Fix installer courtesy of MystiqueMac (aka Mysticus C*)......choose only the USBEHCI FIX 10.5.7 option......if after installing this fix, the USB 2.0 High Speed Bus appears and works but not all the time, then re-run the installer and install PCIFamily2.6.1.......it may improve probing/recognizing devices....BTW the USB-nForce_Fix installer also includes an installer for the MeDevil AppleNforceATA_TEST kext for SATA DVDRWs........

BEFORE running the PCIFamily2.6.1 installer, keep a copy of your current IOPCIFamily.kext somewhere safe in case your system does not like the PCIFamily2.6.1 test package.......if your system breaks, then just put the saved IOPCIFamily.kext back in place using TransMac in Windows (assuming you have Windows installed on your PC)......