ALC889A problem - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

abhi93

57 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info guys, I just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Gigabyte EP45-DS4P with an Intel Q6600 quad processor and 4G of ram. Everything works, Net, video, USB, except sound. I downloaded Godsgod's attachment but it looks a little difficult for a newbie like me. Maybe someone will figure out a way to do with with Kext Helper and a couple of kexts. One can only hope :(.

Also is there a simple sound card that you can use with the audio drivers that the Kalyway 10.5.2 installs? I have the Azalia set to auto and I would prefer the motherboard sound but if there is a sound card that will work out of the box that might be the easiest solution.

Hi, sorry, have been busy for the past month... and for the people asking about setting azalia audio to enable to bios; set it to automatic if there is no enable, and btw this should be in integrated peripherals.... and i didn't use EFI studio, it didnt work for me but i still managed to get sound. Here is the method i used...

1. Download this: http://www.fileflyer.com/view/NhjQbAW

2. Copy and replace the kext above in /System/Library/Extensions

3. Then open terminal and TYPE this: (each line is a command)

sudo -s

(password)

cd /system/library/extensions

chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *

cd ..

rm extensions.mkext

kextcache -a i386 -e

4. then type sudo reboot

5. After reboot, you shud have audio, hope this works!

I got messages about the same problems and the above method has solved their problems, so hope it works for you guyz!

PS: Tell me if the link is down... so that I can post a new link =]

I never could get any of the kexts working and EFI Studio didn't work either. I finally found a cheap sound card in the dust bin of my local computer outlet that works somewhat, it identifies itself as AC97 Audio (PCM). When I play MP3's about every five seconds it stutters and skips. I haven't found a way to make it work correctly yet but I'm making progress :D .

Try with the HDAEnabler.kext from the previous page and my AppleHDA.kext using the method i posted above and after rebooting, you should have audio.... but if you dont, then open EFI Studio, then select AZAL in device and click add device. You should get a new window with a bunch of code, then click add/write to com.apple.boot.plist, then restart. This should work!!!

Thanks Abhi93, I've tried all of those things and still no audio. When I try to run EFI Studio after adding the kexts it says that my machine doesn't support AZAL when I click AZAL and add. At least I am getting some sound out of my sound card and maybe I'll figure out how to get good sound one day.

Thanks Guys. Finally got it working.

I used the Gods God Method. The Taruga ALC885889a Patch did the trick.

HDEF in EFI Setup and Azalia COdedc on Auto in my Bios...

Only complaint... Does the sound go to sleep?? I get a pop when there has been no audio activity for a while....

I remember my G5 would do that from time to time (genrally when I did a restart and played audio for the 1st time)

Anyway, Thanks AGain!!!!!

Thanks Guys. Finally got it working.

I used the Gods God Method. The Taruga ALC885889a Patch did the trick.

HDEF in EFI Setup and Azalia COdedc on Auto in my Bios...

Only complaint... Does the sound go to sleep?? I get a pop when there has been no audio activity for a while....

I remember my G5 would do that from time to time (genrally when I did a restart and played audio for the 1st time)

Anyway, Thanks AGain!!!!!

DP User...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129449

This link might help with the popping sounds. Worked for me but ymmv. I just get a single pop on boot-up, none once boot complete.

Good luck.

I just updated to 10.5.5 and it broke my sound... I tried all the kexts and methods I used before to make it work and I also tried godsgod's method, but no success. Anyone with 10.5.5 and working ALC889A audio?

I just updated to 10.5.5 and it broke my sound... I tried all the kexts and methods I used before to make it work and I also tried godsgod's method, but no success. Anyone with 10.5.5 and working ALC889A audio?

Check out my post just above yours. There's a link there, and yes, my alc889a audio is running under 10.5.5.

I hope that helps with your problems.

Cheers,

Andy.

Anybody having issues with a pop every time there's a sound?

Read my post above.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everybody,

The "pop" sound you guys hear....does this happen when you are picking up two different types of sound?

For example I will have pandora open and have ventrillo running or an event will come up in Adium...then the sound gets all scratchy for just a second then reverts back to being normal. I can even run pandora and itunes at the same time but the scratching/pop sound happens when i start up a second source of sound.

So what really gets bad is when i'm playing wow and the sound pops a bunch while people start to talk in vent.

I've used all of the kexts from this thread and a few others. I'm able to get sound working no problem but it seems like it is an issue of "duplexing".

10.5.5 - EP45-DS3R - 8gb of ram - 8800gts - E8500

I recently got a gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3 on a leo 10.5.5 EFI .

I have been trying different appleHDA kexts using kabyls HDAEnabler and so far I have found two AppleHDA kext versions that work the ones in Ls8_v14 release for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=928470

The newer version 1.5.7a48 recognises one out one in and the digital ins and outs (haven't tested the digital in and out ) but the sound tends to have a {censored} quality with pops compared to the older version 1.2.4a21 ..

I could get two outs (internal speaker and line out) and one in (internal microphone) with the old version 1.2.4a21 ... I wonder what I have to do to get all ins and outs working? I even tried geting my boards codec dump from ubuntu and trying to patch vith HDA Patcher 1.20 (which overwrites with version 1.2.9a4 of appleHDA kext) with no results....

anyone ????

By the way applying the method downloading version 2 for 10.5.5 on the link bellow you can get your ich10 chipset recognized and have better results in your benchmarks

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=769132

Hey Everybody,

The "pop" sound you guys hear....does this happen when you are picking up two different types of sound?

For example I will have pandora open and have ventrillo running or an event will come up in Adium...then the sound gets all scratchy for just a second then reverts back to being normal. I can even run pandora and itunes at the same time but the scratching/pop sound happens when i start up a second source of sound.

So what really gets bad is when i'm playing wow and the sound pops a bunch while people start to talk in vent.

I've used all of the kexts from this thread and a few others. I'm able to get sound working no problem but it seems like it is an issue of "duplexing".

10.5.5 - EP45-DS3R - 8gb of ram - 8800gts - E8500

So i have a friend that traded me my E8500 for a q6600 and right to boot....no more sound problems. 65nm vs 45nm.

• 1 month later...
I recently had a request for more detail on how I got ALC889a working.

I have attached the kext and efistudio.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext at /System/Library/Extensions and any other sound kext you may have installed. do nothing on a fresh install

2. Download attachments and copy kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

then restart

4. Set to "enable" in your BIOS. Then run EFIStudio

5. Select the device type as HDA, then click the add device button, it should have automatically inserted a whole bunch of code, then click the add to the boot.plist button

6. Restart

If this doesnt work for you let me know and ill help further.

I used this kext for my EP45-UD3P board. I posted a blog with a full guide on what I did.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I recently had a request for more detail on how I got ALC889a working.

I have attached the kext and efistudio.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext at /System/Library/Extensions and any other sound kext you may have installed. do nothing on a fresh install

2. Download attachments and copy kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

then restart

4. Set to "enable" in your BIOS. Then run EFIStudio

5. Select the device type as HDA, then click the add device button, it should have automatically inserted a whole bunch of code, then click the add to the boot.plist button

6. Restart

If this doesnt work for you let me know and ill help further.

thanks alot! this helped me clean up the mess from previous failed attempts and get audio working properly on my ga-ep45-ud3p. thanks again, was the last piece of the puzzle.

heh edited as i just realized above post in pretty much identical without having read any further in the thread than your directions. thx again.

Roisoft, Peach os, I cannot thankyou enough.

Using a combination of both your methods, I was finally able to get my sound working correctly. 100% working output, line in, line out etc.

I tried Peachos's link to the kexts which as I suspected didn't work, but after using Roisofts HDA method, after a reboot it worked correctly.

So for anyone else out there who needs to get this working this is how I solved the issue.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext

2. Download Turuga's patched files using this link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=857044

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

4. Set to "enable" in bios, download efistudio from the link above

5. I had to use HDA which automatically inserted the string, and then add to the boot.plist

6. Restart

7. Rejoice in the awesomeness of sound

Thankyou again to both Roisoft and Peachos, Abhi93 I hope this helps.

Thankyou again to this community for helping me out.

How do I type in the Terminal :o

p.s. My motherboard is GA-MA790FX-DQ6 and I got a Phenom 9850

Will this even work on AMD based system?

How do I type in the Terminal :)

p.s. My motherboard is GA-MA790FX-DQ6 and I got a Phenom 9850

Will this even work on AMD based system?

Each one of those lines is a command, example "sudo -s"

Type each line in and then press enter, after typing sudo -s, u will need to enter your password

Hope this helps!