ALC889A problem - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

abhi93

57 posts in this topic

I don't know it it will help you guys, but I have a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R with ALC 889A audio on it, and I have had audio working on many flavors of Tiger and Leopard on this machine, with a couple of kexts that I got from PCWiz back in the day; I don't know where they originated. I get sound out of the green line-out, by selecting "Internal Speakers" in the Sound PrefPane. I get microphone in, as well, using the "Internal Microphone" setting in the Sound PrefPane.

The filenames are:

ALCinject.kext (it does not indicate a version number)

AppleHDA.kext (version indicated is 1.2.4a21)

I'm attaching a .zip with the files. I hope this helps. I have not needed to mess with EFI Studio at all. I am currently running iDeneb 10.5.5 with the 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel. No problems.

Download the drivers here:

alc889aSoundDrivers.zip

The easy way to install them is with Kext Helper; drag-drop both kexts onto Kext Helper, enter your password, install, and reboot:

http://cheetha.net/

You can also install the sound fix from PCWiz's P35-DS3x Control Center software, available here:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...4&Itemid=48

Good luck to you all!

• 2 months later...

Need help! I am running iDeneb 1.4 with 10.5.6. I followed your guide but now after I reboot into leopard, my mouse and keyboard is not working.

How to fix it?

I recently had a request for more detail on how I got ALC889a working.

I have attached the kext and efistudio.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext at /System/Library/Extensions and any other sound kext you may have installed. do nothing on a fresh install

2. Download attachments and copy kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd /system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

then restart

4. Set to "enable" in your BIOS. Then run EFIStudio

5. Select the device type as HDA, then click the add device button, it should have automatically inserted a whole bunch of code, then click the add to the boot.plist button

6. Restart

If this doesnt work for you let me know and ill help further.

@ivanmoja .. you have to install the latest USB kexts using godsgod's method.. the best way for this would be to boot of the leopard install disc and then using terminal from there... sorry i can't provide you with any kexts... im very busy at the moment.. hope this helps.. good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

One question - Installed it and everything is fine. But it clips like f*** as soon as the computer volume is >70%. Below that it's fine. Its just a if the output is very very loud. Any fix for this? Any ideas? Its an ALC889 chip on an EP45 DS3 running 10.5.7. Installed iAKTOS 10.5.5 and didn't even test this until I fully updated to .7. Obviously there's the logical work-around but I like my systems to be 100%.

Many thanks :blink:

P.S.: My signature is sooooo out of date, that is NOT the system I am talking about.

• 4 months later...
[AUDIO FIX]

Download this .zip, it has the necessary kexts and instructions on how to install them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?41xsb1rjyjp

============================================================================

I recently purchased a gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 motherboard and successfully installed kalyway 10.5.2 and sucessfully updated to 10.5.3 using kalyway 10.5.3 combo update.

Everything works EXCEPT the audo. I have been trying for 2 whole days to get any sound out of the ALC889A but nothing!

I tried everything I came across including replacing AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext, using a dump with AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 but nothing happens!

Please help!!!!

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

CPU: Core 2 duo E8400 (3 GHZ, 1333mhz bus speed)

Memory: 2GB DDR2 667mhz

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT

Audio: Realtek ALC889A

HDD: 1 80GB IDE

2 80GB SATA

LAN: 2 x Realtek 8111C chips

Hi can u please send me the download for realatek high def audio alc888

• 1 month later...
I recently had a request for more detail on how I got ALC889a working.

I have attached the kext and efistudio.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext at /System/Library/Extensions and any other sound kext you may have installed. do nothing on a fresh install

2. Download attachments and copy kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd /system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

then restart

4. Set to "enable" in your BIOS. Then run EFIStudio

5. Select the device type as HDA, then click the add device button, it should have automatically inserted a whole bunch of code, then click the add to the boot.plist button

6. Restart

If this doesnt work for you let me know and ill help further.

Hey guys

I came across this posting while I was searching for a way to get audio working on my Snow Leopard install. This kext(AppleHDA) works under the 32bit kernel but does not work under the 64bit. What were the changes made to this kext? I am interested in getting this kext to work under 64bit kernel or modifying the stock SL AppleHDA to work under SL.

Please let me know.

Thank

• 3 weeks later...

I have had success finally after two weeks of messing around with this. I am including the two files here that helped me accomplish this. I used OS86Tools to install the kext files and rebooted and it just works. No terminal commands needed.

Rebooted, checked my my bios to make sure the onboard sound was enabled. After rebooting, set the sound panel settings in system preferences to "Internal Speakers".

Presto, worked like a charm, and may I say this is the only fix I've found that works after weeks of searching and trying. Thanks to all of you who contributed

This file contains the alcinject kext and the applehda kext. Ignore the instructions for the command line script, it doesn't work anyway, it just returns an error saying "Permission denied", however if you use OS86Tools to install, everything will be working on reboot.

I can't figure out how to get the extra unnecessary attachment off of this post, but just download the ALC 889 file, NOT the additionional apple hda kext.

ALC889a.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip