Easy Step-by-Step: Mac OS X Leopard on a PC

neasteflorin

41 posts in this topic

Today we're going to learn how to install Mac OS X Leopard on an ordinary computer. That could be your old PC, your new Dell Inspiron, or Thinkpad laptop, it doesn't really matter because the good folks at Insanely Mac forums got all sorts of patched kexts (drivers) and one will surely suit you(unless you have an Amiga).

2678922619_1424f9dd0c.jpg

Step 1

• Get the kids out of the house, get yourself a nice cup of coffee or orange juice.
  • Get a blank DVD(the single layer one at 4,7GB).
  • Back up your documents, photos, everything you need. You can do this on DVDs, and external USB hard disk or online.
  • Go to System Information(type msinfo32.exe in Run) and write on a piece of paper the processor (AMD or Intel), the graphics card (example ATI 2600XT), WiFi card (Example Atheros AR5007EG). You will need this later for searching drivers.
  • Go to ThePirateBay.org and search for "Kalyway". For this tutorial were going to use [removed by request from admin]
  • Download the ISO image and burn it with Nero or your tool of choice. There's a comprehensive tutorial here.

Mac OS X is an operating system based on UNIX, the heart of Linux. That's is why it's very reliable and versatile. Apple added Aqua, an graphical user interface, which is quite different from Windows and Linux and is very easy to use. Why do geeks love it? Because underneath the hood there is a powerful beast called the 'Terminal', while on the outside they have a nice blond chick.

Step 2

• You now have your important files safe and a Mac OS X install dvd in your hand.
  • We need to boot from the DVD in order to install Mac OS.
  • To do this you need to access the boot menu from your BIOS at start-up. To do this either press F2, F8, DEL or another key. This is different from computer to computer. Find out how to do this by searching in Google "boot menu <computer model>". Example: boot menu dell inspiron 7000
  • Select the DVD from list. Usually it's the second choice available.
  • You'll see a command prompt. Type –v and press enter.
  • Wait. Go and get a donut. The Mac OS X Installer will load.
  • There is a wide range of hardware support in this release, but there's a possibility that the installer won't start, or it will hang. If that happens, don't worry, restart the PC and search Insanely Mac forums for solutions.
  • The Installer has appeared.
  • Click Continue
  • From the menu at the top of the screen click Utilities and then Disk Utility
  • Select your hard disk from the right panel then select the Erase tab. Select Mac OS X Journaled as filesystem. Name the drive MacOS and click Erase.
  • Wait. After the program finishes close it. The installer windows should appear again.
  • Select your hard drive and click Continue
  • On the next screen click Customize and select the packages you need.
  • Pay extra attention to the drivers, don't install all of them, just the ones for your hardware. Deselect the extra languages, you probably won't need them
  • Click on Continue and again on the next page.
  • Wait for 30 min -> 2 hours depending on your system specifications.
  • Leave the DVD in the computer and restart when prompted.

Apple uses a TPM (trusted platform module) chip and EFI(instead of BIOS). Those were the major problems in using Mac OS X on a PC. Some skillful hackers emulated the EFI and unloaded the TPM check. That made this guide possible.

Step 3

• Congratulations! You now have Mac OS X installed on your PC.
  • The next step is go to Insanely Mac forums? and join the community. You'll find new drivers, utilities and lots of tutorials.
  • If you want to dual boot with another operating system such as Windows XP, Vista or Ubuntu you need to mess with bootloaders and partition tables. It's very easy to screw up and kaboom your MBR. There are guides on how to this, and I'm going to write one as Part 2 to this tutorial.
  • If you can't play videos or the screen resolution isn't right it means you don't have the right driver for your graphics card. You'll need to search the forums.
  • This is how I did it, on an Acer Aspire 5100AWLMi.
  • Thanks to OSx86 Project and Insanely Mac forums.
  • Contact me or leave a comment if you need help.

2679225513_d7c084ddb0.jpg

Leopard is truly amazing. Just in need of more compatible hardware.

Hackintosh Acer Aspire 5100 AWLMI machine, Leopard running smoothly. Only 4 issues:

-no video acceleration for ati x200m

-no wifi for atheros 5007eg b/g integrated

-graphics driver maximum resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1280x800 which is the native for my panel.(FIXED)

-no webcam support in apps/but driver works(because no QE)

Running on an AMD Turion x64 2,2Ghz, 1GB of RAM and 120GB SATA drive. Chipset is ATI X200M with SB400.

This is a copy of the article I posted on my blog. Please visit 'the SadGeekBlog':

http://sadgeekblog.blogspot.com/

Hi there,

Just tried to install this twice to no avail. I have a Tiger install that is working. Board is a Asus P5W Deluxe. I booted from the Kalyway 10.52 DVD and installed the first time to a GUID Partition and the second time to a MBR. Both times when installation was completed the machine booted back into Tiger. When I open up Startup Disk the disk I installed Leopard on would not show up. Basically it's not recognizing it as a bootable drive. Any ideas?

thanks

Hi there,

Just tried to install this twice to no avail. I have a Tiger install that is working. Board is a Asus P5W Deluxe. I booted from the Kalyway 10.52 DVD and installed the first time to a GUID Partition and the second time to a MBR. Both times when installation was completed the machine booted back into Tiger. When I open up Startup Disk the disk I installed Leopard on would not show up. Basically it's not recognizing it as a bootable drive. Any ideas?

thanks

Lol I went through the same thing as you. Have you installed leopard on a drive that isn't at the top of the boot priority list (in BIOS)?

Hope it helps.

- Klapi

very nice, but please remove the Link, no torrent links allowed

Go to ThePirateBay.org and search for "Kalyway". For this tutorial were going to use "Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 Intel AMD"

I tried this but it reboots the computer after loading a few HST files If i remember right? Anyone know whats the problem.

I have this issue as well on my Intel P4 machine (not the machine in my sig). It tries to load System\Library\Extensions and then just restarts the system. On my other machine , AMD (in my sig), the DVD doesn't boot at all. It just says Booting from CD....hangs...then boots XP.

My Intel machine is:

Intel Pentium 4

ASUS p4c800-e Deluxe

ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

I've been trying to install 10.5.2 on a separate drive which i select from the bios. i have xp on the other drive. before i was getting errors finding the hfs partition so i figure this way is smarter.

however now i can only boot into osx when i have the kalyway disc in the drive. how should i get around this?

ok, I'm not sure if this is just me or for everyone, but the search feature doesn't seem to be working, so forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere already.....

I get to the disk utility page, and it's having a hard time with my hard drives. It sees the drives, but not the partitions. the drive I want to install to (a FAT32 partition set up under WinXP) says resources busy when I try to erase it using MacOS Journaled, then I try again and it says it can't unmount the drive, then the drive disappears completely!

I have Sata2 Seagate HD, Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 MB, ICH8 chipset. The same thing happens in Native IDE and Legacy IDE modes, although it's a little better in Legacy.

what do I need to do?

(again, sorry if this is already answered... i REALLY wish the search was working)

I am using a Kalyway Leo 10.5.1 disc to try and install, i've got it to boot it goes and a bunch of stuff scrolling down and then it goes to a screen with some writing and i notice this:

"panic (cpu 0 caller 0x004314FF0: unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\."lm@ /volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-122s/iokit/kernel/IoPlatformExpert.ccp1376"

and it'll just stay on that screen, i've already tried boot with -v, cpus=1 -v, -f options