Experimental Intel SpeedStep kext

mercurysquad

291 posts in this topic

Hi thanks for the reply i mange to load the Kext but when i use GUI to like the CUPthrottle availabe in this threat doesn't seems to be working.

I am new to this . Can someone pinpoint me where can i get tutorial to import and export report during kernal panic or why we need to use Chown and wheel

ok, i realize you are new and i think we have all been there before. it will be helpful to you and others if you read this entire thread. if speedstep is not loading, do this:

cd /Applications/Utilities/SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS

chmod +x SpeedStep

sudo -s

chown root:wheel SpeedStep

chmod +s SpeedStep

speedstep app MUST be in applications/utilities folder.

this is actually from just two pages ago where i asked the same question after it was pasted four pages before that. like i said, we have all been there

That happened to me too. Perhaps this is an iAtkos problem? Anyway, I just went back in, restored the RAM thing to defaults (since mine was detected correctly anyway) and manually entered the CPU information. It works fine now.

I agree with you. The command line is much easier for me. Some people on this thread, however, like a nice GUI to do their work and I thought I'd pass it along. Plus, I do find it much easier for clearing the cache and setting the permissions all in one go.

Yup, now it says 5GB RAM, and manually entering processor info didn't quite work (but at least it says 1.74GHz Unknown instead of ABOUT_BOX_PROCESSOR_INFO_STRING). Anyway thanks. I edited it back by hand with info from this thread.

this is actually from just two pages ago where i asked the same question after it was pasted four pages before that. like i said, we have all been there

mercurysquad, will you please put the information I posted here on the first page? It seems that many people are having this problem and it would easily be fixed by added the required information to the first page. It is basically the same stuff that lovedahackintosh just posted.

so I am not sure if this is related to the kernel or the kext but I was watching Harold and kumar escape from guantanamo bay which I rented from iTunes last night. It played perfectly for about 15 minutes but then the audio stopped and the video became very choppy. I tried pausing and playing but it was still messed up. I then closed iTunes, reopened and started again and it worked for another 10 minutes until the same thing happened again. While I was watching I kept an eye on the processor and it seemed to stay stuck at full speed. I tried locking the processor at full speed too but it made no difference. I ended up just transferring it to my iPhone and playing it there.

For what it's worth, this seemed to happen whenever my hack began to sync with mobileme and I still get audio stutters when listening to iTunes and browsing the web (slight as they may be) so it seems as though OSX is having issues multitasking with this kext and kernel combo.

Hello,

thanks a lot, your latest version is very great.

I'm using osx 10.5.4 with your kext, and I have sleep and speedstep totally working.

I'm using the vanilla kernel 9.4.0 ans I have no KP, everything is OK

sysctl -a | grep throttle

kern.exec: unknown type returned

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800

kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 950

kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1200 1600 2000 2400

kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 950 1000 1050 1100 1137

kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 34835

Thanks a lot for you excellent work.

Hello,

thanks a lot, your latest version is very great.

I'm using osx 10.5.4 with your kext, and I have sleep and speedstep totally working.

I'm using the vanilla kernel 9.4.0 ans I have no KP, everything is OK

sysctl -a | grep throttle

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800

kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 950

kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1200 1600 2000 2400

kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 950 1000 1050 1100 1137

kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 34835

Thanks a lot for you excellent work.

THANK YOU ! :P

Work perfectly for me !

I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (didn't have ACPICPUThrottle.kext), then installed the IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext with the OSX86Tools.

Tried cputhrottler, it was working but I couldn't launch any applications (Error -10860), so I tried speedstep and it was ok.

ast login: Fri Aug 15 17:41:39 on ttys000
s-mac-pro:~ spark$ sysctl kern.cputhrottle_freqs
kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 1000 1333 1833 
s-mac-pro:~ spark$ sysctl -a | grep throttle
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 1000
kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 1004
kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 1000 1333 1833 
kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 1004 1164 1388 
kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 1555
s-mac-pro:~ spark$

I'm typing this @1Ghz, 33 & 31°C on cores with VLC playing in the background, the wifi on usb. I'll see if this can improve my battery time :D

EDIT : went from 1h50 to 2h20 on batteries. Speedstep give me half an hour more.

Hello and thanks for your outstanding work.

I spent a few rainy days to get leopard 10.5.4 installed on my eee pc 901 with Atom 270 CPU.

Trying your kext, I got I loaded but if I try to change the freq by terminal command or Speedstep Application the OS freezes – I didn’t get a kernel panic it just hangs.

Has anyone an idea whats going wrong?

Find Logs here: http://pastebin.com/m5a320036

Hi, thanks for all the job you've done, I did what it is said on this topic, so spedstep is working. But i have one question. When i start OSX, spedstep doesn't seems to load. I mean, i don't have it on the top menu. Should i load it at start up if i want my frequence to change automaticaly ( and then how to launch it at startup) or even if the soft isn't load the frequence's switch works ?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for all the job you've done, I did what it is said on this topic, so spedstep is working. But i have one question. When i start OSX, spedstep doesn't seems to load. I mean, i don't have it on the top menu. Should i load it at start up if i want my frequence to change automaticaly ( and then how to launch it at startup) or even if the soft isn't load the frequence's switch works ?

Thanks

speedstep.kext "steps" and report stepping but needs an app that forces the stepping (calling speedstep).

So speedstep.kext itselft does "nothing" without an "DO IT call".

speedstep.app is also not completed, means beta. So you must do settings ans start of speedstep app every time.

Hello and thanks for your outstanding work.

I spent a few rainy days to get leopard 10.5.4 installed on my eee pc 901 with Atom 270 CPU.

Trying your kext, I got I loaded but if I try to change the freq by terminal command or Speedstep Application the OS freezes – I didn’t get a kernel panic it just hangs.

Has anyone an idea whats going wrong?

Find Logs here: http://pastebin.com/m5a320036

You're using vanilla kernel right? Open the speedstep kext, and edit the Info.plist. Change the KernelFeatures value from -1 to 0 (no 800mhz) or 3 (if you want 800mhz).

I have installed this and am using the command line to set my CPU speed and voltage which is working (test after using XBench) but I am still getting a very hot notebook. Is there something else I need to do?

I am using the StageXNU kernel 9.4.0 on a Intel T2310 processor.

Cheers,

C02

Depends. What kind of temperatures are you seeing? Mine idles around 45ºC at 800 MHz, and can go up to 65ºC at 1.73 GHz, with about 250 mV undervolt. On factory voltage it was going up to 95+ at full speed.

It could be because either some app is using 100% of your CPU (check in System Monitor), or because of physical issues (fan clogged, dirt, thermal conductor dried up etc.)

After much trial and error, here is the PState for my Q6600:

<key>PStateTable</key>

<array>

<array>

<integer>3000</integer>

<integer>1260</integer>

</array>

<array>

<integer>2400</integer>

<integer>1132</integer>

</array>

<array>

<integer>1600</integer>

<integer>1036</integer>

</array>

<array>

<integer>1600</integer>

<integer>1036</integer>

</array>

</array>

My observations so far:

1. Only 3 arrays in PStateTable are allowed
  2. The lowest PState for Q6600 is 1600 MHz

I did not change anything else in Info.plist other than the PStateTable above.

Any suggestion?

After much trial and error, here is the PState for my Q6600:

PStateTable

My observations so far:

Any suggestion?

I think you can remove the double last entry. A also have "only" 3 PSTATES and only use 3 entrys in the .plist.

My observations so far:

Any suggestion?

Hi, you can have up to 16 P-states. I'm using 4. Some even have 7 as far as I have heard. If you're sure your cpu supports more than 3 pstates but you cannot make the kext recognize more than 3, it might be a bug. File a report on google code with as much info as you can collect, and I'll look into it, though I don't think such an obvious bug would have escaped me :)

The lowest freq allowed is 6 times your FSB. (The fsb is as reported by system information / 4, ie. if it reports 533 mhz, it's actually 133 mhz). Some people can go lower to up to 3xFSB if the mobo/cpu supports half-fsb ratios. Just put it in and see if it works. I need to make half-fsb ratios usable for all freqs instead of just <1ghz so that people can have more pstates if cpu supports it, but in most cases ACPI reports possible pstates anyway.

Hi, you can have up to 16 P-states. I'm using 4. Some even have 7 as far as I have heard. If you're sure your cpu supports more than 3 pstates but you cannot make the kext recognize more than 3, it might be a bug. File a report on google code with as much info as you can collect, and I'll look into it, though I don't think such an obvious bug would have escaped me :)

The lowest freq allowed is 6 times your FSB. (The fsb is as reported by system information / 4, ie. if it reports 533 mhz, it's actually 133 mhz). Some people can go lower to up to 3xFSB if the mobo/cpu supports half-fsb ratios. Just put it in and see if it works. I need to make half-fsb ratios usable for all freqs instead of just <1ghz so that people can have more pstates if cpu supports it, but in most cases ACPI reports possible pstates anyway.

mercurysquad,

Thanks for the great kext.

My FSB is reported as 1.33 GHz, so it's actually 333 MHz. Somehow, any PState below 1600 does not work. Tried 3xFSB=999 but did not work.

Also, only 3 PStates are supported on my Q6600. I'm not sure if it supports more. Anyone?

Next up: support for <1Ghz speed on supported kernels, and auto-throttle.

mercurysquad, what do you mean by auto-throttle? You mean auto-throttling without using SpeedStep.app or CPUThrottler2Beta2?

mercurysquad,

Thanks for the great kext.

My FSB is reported as 1.33 GHz, so it's actually 333 MHz. Somehow, any PState below 1600 does not work. Tried 3xFSB=999 but did not work.

Also, only 3 PStates are supported on my Q6600. I'm not sure if it supports more. Anyone?

mercurysquad, what do you mean by auto-throttle? You mean auto-throttling without using SpeedStep.app or CPUThrottler2Beta2?

I'm surprised even 1600 works - that's only 5x FSB.

Anyway I did some research and this CPU has problems elsewhere as well. E.g see this bug report for Linux's speedstep implementation. Apparently a BIOS update could resolve the issue (linux devs have marked the bug as "will-not-fix").

Auto-throttle: yes that's what I mean. However we stumbled on a roadblock so it will likely only work on a supported patched kernel (not released yet).